Winners never quit. Quitters never win

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 127
  • Views Views 21K
Dear League 1.

COME AT ME BRO!
That's what you should say

The stadium was rocking-absolutely packed to the rafters. Tickets had sold out a while back. The fans were singing and chanting and creating a tremondous atmosphere. They, like the players, realised we were on the verge of something very special. The task was to win the remaining 2 games, and hope that other results, again, went our way. Though it wasn't looking likely. AFC Wimbledon were facing a plummeting Burton side. I'd be staggered if Burton got anything from that result due to the sheer quality of AFC Wimbledon's players. There were only a few minutes until kickoff, and the dressing room was quiet and tense.

"Okay guys." I began. This would be a huge team talk. "You know what's at stake. We need to win to keep tabs on AFC Wimbledon, and stay within the title race. You've come this far-don't undo all the really hard work you've put in. Don't let the occassion get to you. You must stay focused, and not do anything stupid. Whatever you do-don't switch off. They're a very dangerous side, and they can pretty much score whenever they please half the time. You switch off half a second-they'll carve us open. And relax, and just keep doing what you've been doing the past 9 games. Play your natural game. You'll just play poorly if you put too much pressure on yourselves. Good luck lads!"

The players were decidedly more relaxed as they walked onto the pitch, to the roar of the home fans. It was deafening. It felt like a cup final to be honest. Every single fan in the stadium rose to their feet, punching their fists in the air, willing us to win. I took my place in the dugout-for about 5 seconds. It was pointless sitting down. I couldn't relax. Quite ironic considering the team talk. The weather was perfect football weather too. Bit mild, dry, not a hint of a breeze and very sunny. I was relieved too as the pitch was becoming a bit poor in patches, so any rain would have affected our game plan.

The shrill sound of the whistle started the match. And straight away, we pushed forward into the Colchester half. The players wanted that goal as early as possible, and I could see why. It would settle them down and settle any nerves. But so far, it was looking good. Nice passing, good movement in key areas and good tackling. Whenever Colchester nicked the ball, we hassled them until they gave it up. And suddenly there was an almighty cheer from the stands. I frowned. I turned to my assistant manager who was grinning broadly. He made a 1-0 sign with his hands. Then it clicked-Burton had taken the lead against AFC Wimbledon. I signalled this to the players aswell. Then I punched the air in celebration.

Anyway back to the match. Slowly and surely, Colchester began to take control of the match, and we started chasing the ball, and some players began to panic. That was the last thing I needed, so I signalled to them to take a breath and to relax. Then Neil Harris had his first shot of the game at goal, but it went well wide. Still, he was making the effort. Then Connor Doyle had a couple of attempts-one agonisingly close, just skimming the crossbar. He held his head in his hands-he knew it should've done better. Then, there was yet another roar.

Burton 2 AFC Wimbledon 0

At that moment, I had no idea what that meant position wise. There was too much happening at once to figure it out clearly. But the match we were involved in, was turning scrappy. Any nerves that the players had, had disappeared once they learnt AFC Wimbledon were 2-0 down. Again, we were involved in a midfield battle. The tackles were committed, but fair. There were niggly fouls that continuously broke up play. And it pretty much destroyed any rhythm the game had until now.

Burton 3 AFC Wimbledon 0

It was a scoreline that amazed me. I realised that if we drew this match, we would be 2nd, 2 points behind the division leaders. A win-we'd be tied for the top of the table. It was unbelievably close now. Unbearable. And before I knew it, it was half time, and the players trudged off to much applause from the fans who were singing their hearts out. I was relieved it was half time-we need the break. In the other vital game, the scoreline was amazing.

Burton 4 AFC Wimbledon 2

And Wimbledon were down to 10 men. The second half-more of the same. Scrappy football, blood and thunder challenges-good, honest football being played by both sides, but we were edging it now possession wise. We just needed a break through. We started to push higher and higher up the pitch, and they struggled to get out of their own area. Crosses reigned in, and they were defending for their lives. Panic was etched on some of their players faces-especially their goalkeeper. I was suddenly hopeful we'd nick a goal. That's all we needed. If we won this game, we'd go level on points with Wimbledon-with a much reduced goal difference.

Just after 50 minutes, Conor Doyle had his face buried in his hands. His shot had been cleared off the line, and the rebound smashed off the post. It was an open goal aswell. I had a feeling that it wasn't to be our day. Michael Timlin launched another ball into the box, and again the ball was punched away by the Colchester goalkeeper-straight into the patch of Kane Ferdinand. He didn't hesitate-he hit the shot first time and the keeper had no chance as it fizzed into the top right corner. We'd finally got the breakthrough we so desperately needed! As things stood, we were now tied with Wimbledon, only goal difference seperated us-which was 2.

When the final whistle went, the entire ground erupted into a massive party. The fans knew already the significance of this result-it was absolutely massive. The players and myself walked the sidelines around the pitch, applauding the fans. They had been magnificent, and had played their part today, there was no doubt. It was a shame the last match wasn't going to be here-it would have been fantastic. Beggars can't be chosers though I guess. The next I spent relaxing-we'd all be having the day off. We needed it. We had a massive game coming up, and needed to be careful. I didn't want any more injuries, and I wanted the players relaxed. Which admittedly, is easier said than done!

It was now literally crunch time. One game to go, to decide the winners of the Npower League 1 title................................

Last edited:
And so...this was it. Today was the day that decided who would experience the joy of winning the title, and the utter heartbreak of losing out. It was going to be cruel on some players today-I would hate to experience it. But there was going to be that possibility I would, along with everyone associated with the club, from me down to the fans. It was going to be incredibly tense-even before kick off. To sum it up-today was our cup final. We'd either be glorious victors, or glorious losers. I just couldn't contemplate losing. We'd come to far to lose out.

But before kick off, I was in for a surprise. I was to be guest on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday, live from Edgar Street. I was looking forward to it to be honest-it was my favourite matchday show and was great fun to watch. And Jeff Stelling is a legend to those who watch it religiously-like myself. So to be on it is pretty much a dream come true. It was like a dream come true.

Jeff: "Now, today Southend United will be having their own cup final today. When current manager Andrew Tilley took charge, they were on a poor run, freefalling away from the playoff places, were seen as having no chance of promotion....but after a staggering turn around, with a run of 10 wins on the trot, they are now, remarkably, playing for the Npower League 2 title, where a win against Hereford United, and a loss by AFC Wimbledon, will give them the title. And we now speak live to the Southend United manager. Andrew many thanks for joining us, and congratulations on your promotion."

Me: "Thanks Jeff, pleasure to be on, and thankyou. As you said, we weren't given a prayer, and when I got here, everything was pretty much imploding. But credit to the players, I made a few changes, they put in the work....and the rest as they say is history."

Jeff: "Now you managed Hereford United for a season. Are you confident you know what to expect from them, and what sort of challenge they'll pose? It won't be an easy tie will it?"

Me: "Absolutely not no. What we can expect from them, is to make life very difficult for us. They have some very good players, a very good manager. I feel they've underachieved this season, finishing mid-table, and being such an important game for us, and me being the old gaffer, will do their best to throw a spanner in the works. But they are a team that must be respected as they can mix things up a bit. They have versatile players, and can change the formations at the drop of a hat, and we have to be very wary of them."

Jeff: "One thing I've wondered, is how you've managed to turn things around so impressively? Southend were pretty much in freefall when you took over, had a poor run of 5 games without a win, were in danger of sliding further down the table....what did you say to the players? How did you do pick them up so impressivlely?"

Me: "Putting it simply, I had to get them to believe in themselves again. Instill the confidence they had previously. Bring in some fresh ideas and tactics. Sometimes, all a team needs to get back on track is one win, and I felt once they got the first win, things would improve. And it did, and after that first win, they never looked back. Confidence can be such a fragile thing in a players. In some, if it's dented, the players suffer mentally, and you basically have to put your arm around them and get them believing again. I could see they were very good players with very good ability-I had to convince them they had that ability."

Jeff: "Well it certainly paid dividends has to be said. Well many thanks for joining us, congratulations on your promotion, and all the best for today. Thanks for taking the time to join us."

Me: "Been a pleasure Jeff. Many thanks."

So this was the situation. AFC Wimbledon lose, we win-we win the title. AFC Wimbledon draw, we win-we win the title, we lose-we don't win the title. We both lose, Colchester United win-Colchester United win the title. It was a 3 horse race-incredibly close. I looked at the sky and took a deep breath. A cloudless sky, but a bit of a breeze. Wind may be strong enough to affect any floated in crosses. Or the wind may diminish before kickoff. Remained to be seen. I looked at my watch. Time to give my biggest team talk of the season.

I took my place in the dugout. I was absolutely bricking it. As were the players. The wind had strengthened too, but at least it remained dry. Southend fans were already biting their nails, and cheering the side on as loud as they could. I found it ironic that we could, potentially, clinch the title at the ground of my former club. A club that I nearly took to the playoffs had it not been for injuries and inconsistency. But, past is past. The whistle went for kickoff.

And straight away, the challenges flew in. Some were a bit clumsy from us, but that was to be expected. The players were wired, and had adrenalin coursing threw them. They had to find a way to control themselves though-I couldn't do it for them all the time. They knew how important this match was, and told them in no uncertain terms, not to let the club or the fans down with a moment of stupidity. It would be unforgivable. The first 10 minutes was pretty much as I expected-end to end. Their first shot rattled the post, and we hit the side-netting in response straight away. Meanwhile.........................

AFC Wimbledon 0 Bradford City 1 (Ritchie Jones 12)

The Southend fans erupted with joy as news of the Bradford goal filtered through. We had one hand on the title. I rose from my seat, and pounded the air with clenched fists, transmitting the news to the players. And it galvanised them, and the composure improved. Tackling wasn't as clumsy, passes were connecting and were of better quality and we were forcing them on the back foot. Neil Harris went very close, with his shot cleared off the line. We were without the services of Conor Doyle-his loan period had finished and he returned to Derby County. But, we didn't seem to miss him that much.

As the match progressed, it was hard to see who would score first. It was still a high octane, end to end battle with both sides creating good chances, but the finishing letting both sides down. Then 29 minutes later, the deadlock was broken. Neil Harris had been brought down on the edge of the area, giving us a free kick in a dangerous position-dead centre with the goal. Neil dispatched it over the wall, but the keeper got his hands to it, who in return fumbled the ball away, for our centre back Chris Barker to duly dispatch into the net. 1-0! And it was fully deserved too. Our fans went crazy. But Hereford kept plugging away, creating chance after chance, but again poor finishing costing them dear.

Then, on the 41st minute...........

AFC Wimbledon 1 Bradford City 1 (Jack Midson 41)

The Southend fans fell silent as news came through about the equaliser. There seemed to a nervous tension forming amongst them. But I decided against telling the players. On the 43rd minute, Neil Harris wipped in a corner from the right hand side.....and once again, that man Chris Barker gratefully accepted the ball, this time via his head, and powered a header into the bottom left corner. He ran like **** around the pitch celebrating before disappearing under a mass of bodies. I celebrated too-but the Wimbledon scoreline was now stuck in my mind and I was subdued.

Then a couple of minutes later, it was half time. For the team talk, I told the players to basically keep doing what they are doing. They were doing brilliantly, yet I was surprised at Herefords performance. They had players that were more than capable of producing some moments of magic. They were creating chances, but some of the finishing was terrible. It happens in football though, as we've all seen. Even big teams suffer from this-the worlds best can have a stinker of a day, so no-one is exempt from this.

The second half, we began the same way we had finished the first half. By taking the game to Hereford United. Then Hereford United taking the game to us. Then vice versa again. I admired their spirit. Shame I couldn't admire their finishing. The more the half wore on though, the more we began to control the game. We were now controlling the tempo of the match, making them chase the ball and wearing them down gradually. It began to pay off. Some of the Hereford players were carrying slight knocks and niggles, and they were starting to tire. Nothing really happened for another 15 minutes or so. We passed the ball at will, trying to get more goals.

On the 61st minute, Kane Ferdinand chipped a lovely ball forward to Harris. He dragged 3 defenders away from the area, freeing up space for striker Elliott Benyon. He was wide open, and Harris fed him the ball. And it was smashed into the back of the net. It was pretty much now over as a contest. Fans were jubilant. The stuffing had been knocked out the Hereford players now. They looked dishevelled, heads bowed and hands on hips. And as it approached full time, I kept checking my watch. 2 minutes into stoppage time now, with about 30 seconds left. Suddenly there was a massive roar from our travelling fans.............

AFC Wimbledon 1 Bradford City 1 FT

Colchester United 1 Exeter 1 FT

I was battling very, very hard to control my emotions. We had done it-we had achieved the impossible and had grabbed the Npower League 2 title from under the noses of Wimbledon AND Colchester. Inside I was desperate to explode into celebration, but I knew I had to keep myself in check. 10 seconds. What our defenders had failed to notice though, was that Hereford striker Jordan Cook was all by himself on the edge of the area following a delightful chip from one of their midfielders-I couldn't see who it was. I shouted to warn them but it was too late. He pulled the trigger and let fly with a ferocious shot that sizzled past the goalkeeper and settled in the back of the net.

The fans, myself and the players were stunned. We had the title wrapped up-with 10 seconds to go. And we had let it slip away. What I had failed to notice though, was that the linesman had his flag raised and the whistle had blown. Offside. Then the final whistle went, and the celebrations began. Fans were singing, flags were flying, there was a mass of Southend bodies piling up on the pitch, and I hugged every member of the subs and staff that were present, then ran to the travelling fans, arms raised, punching the air.

We had achieved something, that no-one gave us a chance with. Winning the division title. It felt incredible. My first trophy, and first promotion. There's no better feeling than proving yourself right, and all your doubters wrong. It was such a fantastic end to the season. I may have been in charge only 11 matches, but the way I saw it, to get this team sorted out in such a short space of time, and win silverware.....I was fully vindicated in my self assesment, and I felt immensely proud of my achievement.

I would look back on this season with pride. But first, there was some major celebrating to be done....................

Last edited:
Great work, buddy! Lot's of hard work paying off. Love seeing us guys who start low, testing, achieving, and finally succeeding. Keep up the good work. Do you think you'll miss the constant desire for your first full success? Or are you already concerned with staying consistent? Regardless, keep it up.

Great work, buddy! Lot's of hard work paying off. Love seeing us guys who start low, testing, achieving, and finally succeeding. Keep up the good work. Do you think you'll miss the constant desire for your first full success? Or are you already concerned with staying consistent? Regardless, keep it up.

Cheers.

Already making plans for the next season-but it all depends on how bad the financial situation gets............. ;)

Cheers.

Already making plans for the next season-but it all depends on how bad the financial situation gets............. ;)

I hear ya. I'm playing a little loose with my finances (because after a second-to-last finish and a rather wide-open league, I want to get this team into international play) and we'll see if I can gain enough strength and recognition to keep it up.

Are you planning (as of now) to stick with SouthEnd for a while or is it another pit stop on the road to somewhere bigger?

I hear ya. I'm playing a little loose with my finances (because after a second-to-last finish and a rather wide-open league, I want to get this team into international play) and we'll see if I can gain enough strength and recognition to keep it up.

Are you planning (as of now) to stick with SouthEnd for a while or is it another pit stop on the road to somewhere bigger?

Yeah I'm sticking with them. Got offered a two year contract and intent to see it out, regardless of wether or not a bigger club headhunts me. Always been a loyal manager. Plus tbh the chances of another club coming knocking on the door are pretty slim right now as I've only been charge 11 games. But yeah-staying with Southend :)

View attachment 236505

The Battle for survival begins

Well, it had been a fantastic end to a season. We had not only been promoted, but we had also clinched the division title on the last day of the season. It was like winning a cup final, and I wasn't proud of what I had done. I was proud of what the players had achieved, and what the backroom staff had accomplished. They had kept their nerve and did what I had asked of them. We were making the footballing headlines. And as a result, I was being linked to other jobs. I was being linked with Wigan Athletic-when the Premier League season had not even finished. And I found it disrespectful to Martinez to be honest. But I laughed it off, because quite frankly, I hadn't been in management long enough yet. Yes I had won the Npower League 2 title, but let's be realistic-I was still pretty much new to the scene.

But sadly, there was a black cloud hanging over the club. Debt levels were increasing-considerably. A short while back, it was just over £500,000. Now the season had finished, that level had jumped to over £930,000. And it was very worrying. The loan repayments were estimated to increase from £2.5 million to £3.9 million by the start of the new season. Which meant no money to bring in players, and having to reduce wages across the board. And I knew it was going to cause problems. I had already attempted to reduce wage demands, and every single attempt was a flat rejection.

I was going to have an incredible headache, and the new season in Npower League 1 hadn't even kicked in yet. The FA Cup Final hadn't even been played yet! Clauses in contracts concerning wage increases, I knew for a fact, would cripple the club financially. It was going to be a nightmare scenario. I had already discussed this with somebody involved in the finance sector. He predicted that unless costs were cut before next season, we would be facing the prospect of administration. We simply didn't have the financial clout to survive. And unless it was sorted out this season, the club would not survive. Simple as.

It was amazing. All this work we had all put in, felt like it was for nothing. The club was already facing a battle for survival. It reminded me of what had happened to Darlington Football Club, when they had went into administration. If I had to, I'd be a manager on no wage at all. But the players, staff, everyone linked with the club needed the money. They had mortgages, families, basic living costs.....they all needed the money. The way it was right now, it was a no-win situation right now. I had to discuss the situation with the chairman.

In the meeting, I laid it out simplistically. I was willing to work for nothing, but we needed a cash injection. Basically to enure the clubs survival. And to be fair, he was very open about everything. He agreed the club needed money, but he was struggling himself, and was desperately looking for investment. The recession was crippling everyone-no one escaped unscathed. He was desperate to inject money into the club, but simply could not afford to. Neither could other board members. The only way to raise money, would be to sell players. And it was considered the only way, as players were unwilling to accept wage reduction.

It was worked out, that even with the TV money, new sponsership deals, and other income.....things would actually get worse over the season. There would have to be a major reduction in wages when it came to players and staff. Or, worst case scenario, I resigned from my post. Which sounded a bit odd, as I had already stated I would work for nothing. Which made me wonder if the board knew that much about finance. But I shrugged it off. But I told the chairman, in no uncertain terms, I would remain with the club, regardless of what happens. I would do my best, to ensure that the club survives.

To me, it seemed remarkable, that with so much money floating around in English football, that so many smaller clubs were either suffering financially, or folding, whilst the bigger clubs were facing financial meltdown-and being bailed out. It made me think-do the governing bodies truly realise what is happening lower down the league, and do they know just how bad the situation is with the clubs that started off the leagues so many years ago, that made football in this country what it is now, and how dire their situation is?

The way I saw it......................no.

great update as usual! looking forward to see how your team does in league 1!

Great update mate. Hope you manage to keep out of admin.

Thanks guys. Hope I can keep the club going to-but it's going to be a **** of a challenge. If I'm not mistaken, I think, it's the heaviest level of debt I've come across. I think anyway-so it's going to be interesting to say the least lol.

@CCFCFAN As far as I know I team doesn't fold in the game, but it gets to the bankrupt stage (like Rangers). I'd prefer not to get to that stage is all I can say lol

View attachment 236671

2012/13 Season Review

Premier League

View attachment 236676

Winners: Manchester United
Runners up: Manchester City
Clubs Relegated: Bolton, Wigan, Cardiff.

Npower Championship

View attachment 236677

Winners: Wolverhampton Wanderers
Clubs Promoted: Burnley, Swansea
Clubs Relegated: Notts County, Doncaster, Portsmouth.

Npower League 1

View attachment 236678

Winners: Peterborough
Clubs Promoted: Ipswich Town, Coventry City
Clubs Relegated: Brentford, Rochdale,
Wycombe, Shrewsbury.

Npower League 2

View attachment 236679

Winners: Southend United
Clubs Promoted: AFC Wimbledon, Colchester United, Oxford.
Clubs Relegated: Gateshead, Crew

Blue Sqaure Bet Premier

View attachment 236680

Winners: York
Club Promoted: Stockport
Clubs Relegated: Basingstoke, Barrow, Hinckley, Tamworth

Blue Square Bet North

View attachment 236681

Winners: Southport
Club Promoted: AFC Telford
Clubs Relegated: Corby, Bishop's Stortford, Bradford PA

Blue Square Bet South

View attachment 236682

Winners:
Salisbury
Club Promoted: Eastleigh
Clubs Relegated: Truro, Staines, Cambridge City

FA Cup Final

View attachment 236686

Watford 0 Liverpool 2

Carling Cup Final

View attachment 236687

Fulham 0 Manchester City 0 (AET)
(Manchester City win 4-3 on penalties)

Community Shield

View attachment 236689

Cardiff City 1 Liverpool 3

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

View attachment 236690

Sheffield Wednesday 3 Ipswich Town 2

UEFA Champions League

View attachment 236691

Manchester United 2 Barcelona 3

UEFA Europa League

View attachment 236692

Tottenham Hotspur 1 AC Milan 0

UEFA Super Cup

View attachment 236693

Athletico Madrid 1 Manchester United 2 (AET)

Hope you can turn it around mate. On my save, I've just started season and am already -£27k in the red!!! Ooops.

View attachment 236721

Damage Limitation

Fast forward to June 30th, and following another meeting with the chairman, and the board, it was decided that the wage budget had to be reduced drastically-or we wouldn't survive. We were £60,000 better off with new sponsors, and recieved over £480,000 in TV money-before that the debt level had reached just over £1.9 million. Even with all that income, the club was still £1.04 million in debt. And wage increases had made the situation dangerous. We couldn't bring in any players at all. We also couldn't afford to renew contracts.

Players Released

Glenn Morris
Peter Gilbert
Elliot Benyon
Junior Brown
Joe Jackson
Dan Gray
David Martin
Mike Green
Elliot Wheeler
Jack Dunn

Which left us with 15 first team players. And on top of that-the board wanted a safe mid-table position. I leant back in my seat and shook my head. I had to be realistic. It was going to be an almighty task to get that high in the table. The fluidity of the squad would now be badly disjointed. Some players didn't play that many games last season, so they weren't going to be entirely in tune. I, and everyone else, could see a very rough ride ahead this season. The sooner we had the parent club situation sorted out, the better.

That day, I made the very difficult decision to release players on a free. It was a horrible thing to do, and I'm sure all managers hated doing it. I basically made 9 first team players unemployed. But they held no grudges-they realised the gravity of the situation. But even though I had let them go, as they left on a free it brought in no money. All it did was reduce the wage bill to just over £5,200 under the wage budget limit. And it would rapidly disappear as new players came in,albiet on the free transfer market, or on loan. I had asked the board to search for a parent club. It was agreed to find one, and it was essential. It meant getting players on load without the cost of wages.

However, as they say, with every cloud there's a silver lining. I was able to bring in some players in on a free, and the wage demands weren't exactly going to break the bank. Well, the finances were already pretty much screwed anyway. So, the players I was able to convince to join the club were:

View attachment 236735
Luke Garbutt

View attachment 236736
John Mousihno

View attachment 236737

Gordon Smith

View attachment 236738
Matt Taylor

They were a boost to the squad. They were experienced, and would, I felt, make a difference to the team big time. I had to meet expectations not just from the board, but also the public. We were tipped at 16-1 to actually make the playoffs. Which was a huge ask-was going to be hard enough meeting the board expectations. There was of course the friendlies coming up, which would show just how capable we would be come the season openers.

Tranmere Rovers 3 Southend United 1
Southend United 0 Crystal Palace 2
Hamilton 3 Southend United 0
Southend United 0 Southampton 5
Elgin City 1 Southend United 1
Crusaders FC 0 Southend United 0

It was an absolute disaster. I was expecting the players would need a bit of a bedding in period, but there were games there which we should have won. I was hoping this performance would not transfer to the season proper which was a week away. And I know people say friendlies aren't that important, but still. It worried me greatly. I thought that bringing in such experience, coupled with young, enegergetic (and talented) youngsters would improve the team. Obviously not-but then I thought give them time. I gave them time before-and we won the title. But there was also a plus side off the pitch.

The debt had (magically it seemed) dropped from just over £1.09 million, to just over £453,000. So that side was looking good. I had worked dam hard to bring in quality replacements, without breaking the wage budget. And I had done it with just £43 to spare. It had been incredibly draining. Agents aren't the best people to work with some times. At times they can command ridiculous fees, without a care about any clubs predicament. Unfortunately also, it appeared we hadn't been able to find a parent club to get players on loan. It was going to have to be a case of being patient. But it had been a while since the process began, and the longer it went on without word the less hope I had for a successful outcome in that department.

Training was going well, and the new additions seemed to be bonding well with their new team mates. Which was good to see. Some players have trouble adapting to new teams in new towns or cities. But there were no problems regarding that here. There were also no new injury worries. And it was such a relief to see Ryan Hall back in the squad. He would be absolutely essential in our quest for a good season. But I had to ensure the players stayed fresh and fit. It was a much smaller squad now, so I would have to be very, very careful when it came to selection and rotation.

Now, there was much preparation to be done. The Npower League 1 kick off was 7 days away. First stop-Charlton Athletic...........

Last edited:
Back