Wolverhampton Wanderers - The New Manchester United

SMPGibbs

Reaction score
QUICK NOTICE - Ignore the 2012 date on the game, this is based in the 2013-14 season.
_67447761_hi017901296.jpg

7 May 2013Last updated at 09:52
Wolves: Dean Saunders sacked after relegation to League One
Wolverhampton Wanderers have sacked manager Dean Saunders after the club's relegation to League One.
Saunders left Doncaster Rovers and took over at Molineux in January, but the West Midlands club have suffered consecutive relegations after losing their Premier League status in 2012.
The Welshman, 48, was in charge for 20 games, having taken over when they were 18th in the Championship.
Doncaster, meanwhile, were promoted to the Championship under Brian Flynn.
Wolves are now looking for their fourth manager since sacking Mick McCarthy in February 2012.
Immediately after his dismissal the club came close to appointing Steve Bruce, who has just led Hull to the Premier League . He had a second interview in March 2012 and thought he had got the job before the club had a late change of mind.
McCarthy's assistant Terry Connor ended up being in charge for a four-month spell as Wolves slipped out of the top flight. Norwegian Stale Solbakken was appointed in the summer, before being sacked in January.
Saunders, who was also relegated from the Championship in the previous season with Doncaster, was then given the job on a rolling one-year contract. He won five, drew five and lost 10 of his 20 matches in charge at Wolves. It took 10 matches to earn his first win as boss.
The club lost their Championship status on a dramatic final day last Saturday after being beaten 2-0 by Brighton.
A club statement said: "Manager Dean Saunders has been informed by Wolves that his contract is to be terminated. Assistant manager Brian Carey will also be leaving the club.
“He is the sacrificial lamb in my opinion. Twenty points from 20 games, is that really enough time for a manager to be able to do it at a great old club? I think there is a bit of a kneejerk reaction here by the chairman Steve Morgan, and not for the first time”
_58282260_pat_murphy.jpg
Pat MurphyBBC Radio 5 live

"Wolves have now begun a recruitment process, which in conjunction with the board will be managed by head of football development and recruitment Kevin Thelwell.
"The club will now take as long as is necessary to make this crucial appointment and there will be no publicly communicated timescales."
Wolves have become the first team since Swindon in 1995 to suffer back-to-back relegations from the top flight.
Only 12 teams have ever been relegated to the third tier in successive seasons in the 125-year history of the Football League, but Wolves are the first team to manage the feat twice.
The statement continued: "Wolves would like to thank Dean and Brian for their efforts in what has been a very difficult period for everyone, and wish them both the very best for the future.
Wolves' league record since Mick McCarthy's sacking

PldWonDrawnLostWin %
Terry Connor13490%
Stale Solbakken26851331%
Dean Saunders20551025%

Source: Opta

"The club will be making no further comment at this stage."
Speaking on Saturday, when asked if he had the backing of the club following relegation, Saunders replied: "I'm not certain about that. I've got a contract having been here three-and-a-half months.
"As soon as that final whistle went I am now starting to rebuild the football club because we have to move forward now."
Wolves chairman Steve Morgan added in a statement on Saturday: "Clearly a lot of mistakes have been made over the past two seasons and I understand fans' pain, anger and resentment towards me."
Former Wrexham boss Saunders said on his Wolves appointment : "My brief is the Premier League. Although we're right up against it, three or four wins on the trot and we'd be right up there."
The former striker won 75 caps for Wales scoring 22 goals during a playing career that saw him turn out for 12 clubs, including Liverpool, Aston Villa and Galatasaray, before retiring in 2001.

Manchester United manager David Moyes axes assistants Mike Phelan and Eric Steele

David Moyes has taken his first steps towards imposing his authority as Manchester United manager by dispensing with the services of assistant manager Mike Phelan and goalkeeper coach Eric Steele.

united_g_2572718b.jpg

Making way: goalkeeping coach Eric Steele and assistant manager Mike Phelan are to leave Manchester United
While Phelan’s exit had been anticipated, the end of Steele’s time at United has come as a surprise, with his work with De Gea being credited as crucial to the youngster’s improvement in recent months.
Both Phelan and Steele had been involved in planning for the pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia, but with Moyes keen to reshape his staff, the two men have been told their future lies away from Old Trafford. Rene Meulensteen,
a respected member of the Old-Trafford setup has also been released by Moyes. Meulensteen has since become the odds-on favourites for both the
Wigan Athletic and Wolverhampton Wanderers job.

Rene Meulensteen appointed Wolves manager
Ex Manchester United coach switches Old Trafford for Molineux on one-year deal
Z

Rene Meulensteen has been appointed Wolves manager on a one-year contract. Meulensteen was a part of the Manchester United setup for a total of ten years in two five year spells. Meulensteen joined United in 2001 as a youth coach and in 2005 began to work with the reserves at the same time. In 2006, Meulensteen joined Danish club Brondby as manager but left in 2007 citing a different views on the club's future. 13 days after leaving Brondby, he joined United as a technical coach. After Carlos Queiroz swapped the no.2 role at United for the manager's role at Portugal, Mike Phelan was promoted to assistant manager and Meulensteen took Phelan's role of first-team coach. Phelan, Meulensteen and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele were sacked as part of the revamp at Manchester United under David Moyes. Meulensteen was interviewed for Wolves on the 28th of May 2013 and signed a deal on the 29th. Meulensteen had this to say at his press conference.
"Wolverhampton Wanderers is a very big club. It has suffered two relegations in a row but I believe with the backing of the board and the fact that all the Manchester United coaches who were removed from their posts have joined me so the adaptation period will be very quick. Myself and the owners of the club have the same ambition and I have recieved a very significant financial backing from the board. I aim to gain promotion from League One and win the title. My work with Wolves will hopefully be a long and successful project."

Chairman Mode - I will be playing as the chairman in this game. I will observe Meulensteen and if the club do poorly then he will be removed from post. I have FMRTE that's why it's possible.
CHAIRMAN:
Michael Osman - Eccentric English billionaire who struck oil in the Caspian Sea. Osman now has over £20 billion pounds and purchased Wolverhampton Wanderers for £100 million. I will now talk as Michael Osman
"I have set Rene Meulensteen a transfer budget of 160 million pounds as I want to win League One with a record points haul. I have terminated the contracts of all staff and I have terminated the contracts of every player at the club. Meulensteen will have his own squad so I expect him to do well. Every month I will post my opinion on how he is doing but in not too much detail or the media will get a good story at my expense."
TRANSFER BUDGET: 160 MILLION
WAGE BUDGET: 300 THOUSAND
SEASON EXPECTATIONS: WIN LEAGUE ONE

Last edited:
Pre Season and August
"Pre season is extremely important. Failure now will mean failure at the end of the season." - Rene Meulensteen on WolvesNews
View attachment 348626
With the pressure on him after my investments into the club and the fact that he had to recruit a whole new squad, Rene did exceptionally well in his first nine games just losing one, and that was against Arsenal. As of now, he has recruited the right team and he deservedly won the 'League 1 Manager of the Month Award'. I will take you through the competitive matches but firstly I will take you through the business that Rene did. View attachment 349079
TRANSFERS
Rene recruited a total of 25 players to join Wolves. 25 talented players. He spent 25.5 million on 25 players and left a colossal chunk of his transfer budget untouched. I am glad to see he can handle money non greedily. Our record signing for the transfer window was Sam Byram from Leeds for £5.75 million.
I'm not going to post a screenshot of EVERY player but I will group the players.
GOALKEEPERS
John Ruddy - Rene is a SERIOUS negotiator and luring John Ruddy two divisions down for £5.5 million is a STEAL
Dean Gerken - Released by Bristol City, he is our backup keeper
DEFENDERS
View attachment 348638
Michael Kay - Joins us on a free transfer from rivals Tranmere
Stephen Foster - Joins us on a free transfer from Barnsley
Danny Grainger - Joins us on a free transfer from Hearts
Damion Stewart - Joins us on a free transfer from Bristol City
Craig Cathcart - Joins us for £3.8 million from Blackpool, now valued at £5 million
Danny Batth - Rejoins us for free
Bob Harris - Joins us from Blackpool for £500 thousand pounds, now worth £1.8u million, triple his original value.
Sam Byram - Joins us from Leeds for this season's record of £5.75 million.
MIDFIELDERS -
Jamie Peters - Joins us on a free from Ipswich
Mikel Alonso - Joins us on a free from Charlton (CLUB CAPTAIN)
Corry Evans - Joins us from Hull for £4.5 million
Jacques Maghoma - Joins us on a free from Burton
David Davis - Rejoins us on a freebie
Akos Buzsaky - Joins us on a free from QPR
James Henry - Joins us from Millwall for £2.1 million, now worth £3.5 million
Hal Robson-Kanu - Joins us from PREMIER LEAGUE team Reading for £3.7 million, now worth £5.25 million
View attachment 348653
STRIKERS -
Nwankwo Kanu - Chim-Chimeny Chim-Chimeny Chim, Chim Che-Roo! Who needs Anelka when we've got Kanu! Nwankwo joins us on a free transfer from Portsmouth
John Carew - Joins us on a free transfer from West Ham
Danny Webber - Joins us on a free transfer from Leeds
Ashley Grimes - Joins us on a free transfer from Rochdale
Nile Ranger - Joins us on a free transfer from Newcastle United
View attachment 349037
AUGUST
CAPITAL ONE CUP FIRST AND SECOND ROUND
Wolves 4-0 Northampton
Mensah Hillier (7), Danny Grainger (12), Mikel Alonso (58,63)
Wolves 4-1 Exeter
David Davis (42), Herold Goulon (45), John Carew (53), Jamie Peters (58) -
EXETER - Elliott Chamberlain (64)
NPOWER LEAGUE ONE
Wolves 1-0 MK Dons
Robson-Kanu (33)
Leyton Orient 0-1 Wolves
Sam Byram (83)

Last edited:
September
"We have had a productive start but a poor second month can ruin the first." - Rene Meulensteen to WolvesNewsView attachment 349101
View attachment 349100
Rene is really living up to the manager's role. I'm proud of him. However, we lost a game this month. But it's one game. And on the brightside. WE BEAT A PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM!!! Yes, in the Capital One Cup we knocked out Premier League team Southampton!

NPOWER LEAGUE ONE

Bradford 0-2 Wolves - Get in! I own Wolves and support the Gunners so this win is dedicated to them.
John Carew (8), Nile Ranger (77)
:(

Wolves 1-2 Peterborough - We had the lead and we blew it. They are a relegated team from last season and there level on points with us but we have a game in hand. There a tough opposition but we better win at London Road.
John Carew (7) - PETERBOROUGH - Tyrone Barnett (13,48)

Sheffield United 1-2 Wolves
Nile Ranger (11), Sam Byram (33) - SHEFFIELD UNITED Jamie Murphy (32)

Shrewsbury 0-3 Wolves - So we meet again, and you got destroyed once again.
John Carew (5), Hal Robson-Kanu (23), Danny Webber (48)

JOHNSTONES PAINT TROPHY NORTH FIRST ROUND
Wolves 4-0 Shrewsbury - In our cup games we have scored four goals! Excellent record!
Nile Ranger (51), Mikel Alonso (66 and 86), John Carew (79)

CAPITAL ONE CUP THIRD ROUND
Wolves 2-2 Southampton 3-1 on pens
John Carew (pen 3), Danny Webber (112)
Southampton
Jay Rodriguez (74)
Rickie Lambert (118)
PENALTY SHOOTOUT:
Grainger Grimes and Webber are the three penalty scorers for Wolves.
Southampton's only penalty scorer was their GOALKEEPER Artur Boruc!

Last edited:
October
"We eliminated a Premier League team from the Capital One Cup. If we can beat them, we can beat anybody." - Rene Meulensteen to WolvesNews
Unfortunately, Darren Ferguson stole the October Manager of the Month award from Rene's grasp but this month was once again, Rene Meulensteen's. Let's take a look at the month of October.

NPOWER CHAMPIONSHIP
Wolves 1-1 Preston North End
Corry Evans (6th minute)
PRESTON - Scott Laird (24)

Walsall 0-4 Wolves - We beat our biggest League One rivals Walsall. Excellent work Rene! On the negative side, they were 10 men down from the 47th minute onwards so we had an advantage. But we worked it in our favour!
Robson-Kanu (10), Ranger (37), Davis (51), Webber (89)
- INJURY NEWS. Akos Buzsaky ruled out for two months after tearing hamstring in game.

Brentford 0-1 Wolves
John Carew (pen 69)
Wolves 2-1 Swindon
Sam Byram (48, 50)
SWINDON - Gary Roberts (9)

Port Vale 1-2 Wolves
Mikel Alonso (6th minute), David Davis (32)

JOHNSTONES PAINT TROPHY NORTH SECOND ROUND

Wolves 4-0 Port Vale - Onward Wolverhampton soldiers!
Davis (21), Henry (25, 41), Webber (81)

CAPITAL ONE CUP THIRD ROUND
Fulham 2-1 Wolves
Webber (31)
Two quickfire goals from Jay Bothroyd were too much for Wolves to take but I'm proud of the team.
WILL POST A LEAGUE TABLE SCREENSHOT TOMORROW

Last edited:
Like the idea of the story considered doing that myself, Only problem with the story to me is 1. A little unrealistic with the 100+million for a league one side & 2 there's not enough spaces in the story its all crammed together.

Like the idea of the story considered doing that myself, Only problem with the story to me is 1. A little unrealistic with the 100+million for a league one side & 2 there's not enough spaces in the story its all crammed together.

I do admit the budget is unjust for a League One club and probably breaks every financial fair play rule coming into effect but Rene Meulensteen didn't spend it all and usually, take Arsenal for instance, it's widely reported they have a colossal budget but they always leave some money to be kept.

November
"Our form in the league has been exceptional, keep our mentality and promotion is secure." - Rene Meulensteen to WolvesNews
View attachment 349312
THE FA CUP FIRST ROUND
AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Wolves - Our cup run begins but two penalties to beat lower league opposition isn't good enough.
Nile Ranger (pen 36), Robson-Kanu (pen 40)
WIMBLEDON - Cummings (55)

NPOWER LEAGUE ONE
Wolves 3-0 Notts County
Henry (42), Davis (47), Evans (52)

Gillingham 1-2 Wolves
Evans (14), Robson-Kanu (90) - A late winner against a team out of the relegation zone by goal difference isn't good enough
GILLINGHAM - Burton (62)

Wolves 2-2 Crawley - Goulon won and lost us the game! He was sent off in the 29th minute and we were ten men down for the majority of the game.
Goulon (17), Webber (pen 22)
CRAWLEY - O'Keefe (19), Proctor (pen 65)

Wolves 1-1 Colchester - Not good enough
Davis (23),
Colchester - Ibehre (27)

Tranmere 0-2 Wolves - Tranmere's loss is our gain. Three points and our lead at the top of League One becomes more secure.
Davis (29), Grainger (60)
TRANMERE - Bakayogo sent off (11)

Wolves 4-0 Coventry - A demolition job of the once Premiership side, Grimes you idiot. You spoiled your day.
Batth (22), Evans (24), Grimes (33), Ranger (42)
GRIMES SENT OFF IN 74TH MINUTE FOR SECOND YELLOW CARD

December
"My team unbeatable. We will remain unbeatable and win the league with a record points haul." - A cocky Rene Meulensteen

FA CUP SECOND ROUND - Who will we get in the third?
Crawley 1-2 Wolves
Davis (20), Byram (45)

JOHNSTONES PAINT TROPHY NORTH QUARTER FINAL
Chesterfield 1-2 Wolves
Carew (39), Ranger (86)

NPOWER LEAGUE ONE
MK Dons 1-2 Wolves
Harris (10), Carew (pen 50)

Wolves 3-0 Morecambe
Evans (61), Grimes (69), Ranger (78)

Wolves 3-0 Leyton Orient
Foster (68), Evans (78), Cathcart (87)

Wolves 1-0 Bristol City
Evans (12)

Crewe 0-1 Wolves
Evans (7)

Wolves 3-0 Bradford
Cathcart (5), Peters (53), Buzsaky (86)

Coventry 1-1 Wolves
Evans (48)

Happy New Year! In the game. Let's look at the end of year table
Top Half
View attachment 349481
Bottom Half
View attachment 349482

January
"We have been solid all season and our work is paying off, with a few new faces we can become unstoppable." - Rene Meulensteen to WolvesNews

TRANSFERS
Wolves have been active in the transfer market and signed a few players but missed out on quite a few.
MISSED OUT:
Andi Weimann - Contract rejected
Luke Moore - Contract rejected
Ross McCormack - Contract rejected
Dexter Blackstock - Contract rejected
Victor Anichbee - Contract rejected

SIGNINGS IN -

View attachment 349801 - ROBERT SNODGRASS JOINS WOLVES FOR £3.6 M
View attachment 349802 - FERNANDO FORESTIERI - JOINS WOLVES FOR £4.1 M
View attachment 349803 - LUCAS VIATRI JOINS WOLVES FOR A RECORD £8.25M
View attachment 349804SIMEON JACKSON JOINS WOLVES FOR 400K
View attachment 349805JASON LOWE JOINS WOLVES FOR £6M
January Fixtures
View attachment 349812
Peterborough 3-2 Wolves - Peterborough have done the double over us. I'm not happy with that, not one bit. A late goal stole it.
Carew (8), Harris (34)

Wolves 1-0 Sheffield United
Peters (1)

Wolves 5-1 Carlisle
Jackson (32), Robson-Kanu (67), Ranger (70), Forestieri (73), Buzsaky (80)

Stevenage 2-2 Wolves
Jackson (12), Alonso (77)

Carlisle 0-2 Wolves
Robson-Kanu (7), Forestieri (44)

Preston 2-1 Wolves - Dammit!
Jackson (85)

FA CUP THIRD ROUND - It's a shame we didn't have a major cup run but to lose just one nil to a EPL team is okay.
Wolves 0-1 Reading

JOHNSTONES PAINT TROPHY NORTH SEMI FINAL
Fleetwood 0-3 Wolves
Robson-Kanu (53), Buzsaky (63), Alonso (66)

March
"We have mathematically secured a spot in the playoffs, now let's mathematically seal promotion." - Rene Meulensteen to WolvesNews

Wolves 3-0 Shrewsbury
Robert Snodgrass (45, 75), Viatri (57)

Wolves 4-1 Walsall - A win in the derby!
Snodgrass (32), Viatri (61, 72, 74)

Wolves 2-1 Brentford
Jackson (35), Buzsaky (39)

Morecambe 0-2 Wolves
Viatri (53, 80)

JOHNSTONES PAINT TROPHY NORTH FINAL FIRST AND SECOND LEGS
Preston 0-1 Wolves
Forestieri (2)

Wolves 3-1 Preston
Jackson (5), Evans (55), Robson-Kanu (74)

FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That layout is definately better now much easier to read and follow.