World class greyed out players? FML

Read my OP. Greyed out players are not real, they are randomly generated by the game to fill a squad if you dont have enough players. You cant sign them unless they are generated at your club.

The point of my thread is to say that grey players generated at clubs managed by a human manager are always terrible, but the AI managers seem to get world class players.

It may be a bug then. Fm 2012 has a lot of bugs.

Just more evidence that FM cheats (A)

but anyway...I find it hard to believe AC Milan couldnt take someone from reserves or U19 and play them. Instead of doing what real life clubs would have to do, they get instant super replacements.

Also, AC Milan may have gotten those good players (as opposed to your bad grey players) due to the level of competition. In a european match, they wouldn't want crappy players and get steamrolled.

Yeah, I've seen this a few times to my dismay....its been this way for the last few editions of FM. The worst was when a team - I think Bayern - was down to its 4th string, greyed-out GK for a Champions League semi-final or so.......and hey, turns out he's an amazing keeper who could start for all but about 10 clubs in the world.

I can understand why they might make the grey players some fair amount of quality - to account for the fact that the AI cannot manage a club as well as real life, and will do dumb things that cause unrealistic temporary shortages - but cannot fathom why they make them starter quality.

Talk about a coincidence.....the same thing just happened to me again! Playing Inter in the CL knockout stage, didn't notice until gametime there was an unfamiliar GK for them. He puts up a clean sheet and has a very good game. After the match I look, and here he is:

View attachment 219858

That's their 4th choice GK. What I don't get is that their 3rd string GK wasn't hurt......but this guy got to play anyway. Not world-class but an unbelievable advantage for them. Stupid policy.

So, there i was, managing Man Utd, crushing everyone in my path in season one. I drew AC Milan in the champions league, i knew i had a chance as Serie A is active on my db and i had noted that AC were struggling due to a huge number of long term injuries.

The day of the match i checked their squad and to my delight i noted they didn't have a single senior centre back available.

View attachment 201039

Great news right?

Then i come to the lineups page and i am greeted by two names that i have never heard of before at the heart of AC Milans defence, i go to check their stats and i find this:

View attachment 201040

View attachment 201041

As far as i am aware, greyed out players are gap fillers, players who appear when you don't have enough players in your squad, enabling you to play every game, they disappear when your squad is replenished by real players. On another FM12 save i am playing as Dortmund, i had a goalkeeper injury crisis and a couple of greyed out keepers appeared, but they were AWFUL!

Is this a bug? If not, then i ask why has SI decided to make the greyed out players for other teams world class? Edit, not just world class, but absolutely identical too...

I have started a thread on the SI forums in search of an answer.

Did you ever get an answer?