World Cup - Ball/Lack of goals.

SamScfc

WINNING
Reaction score
The World Cup has seen just 18 goals in 12 games and I don't know why, maybe it's because the teams are on the defensive and don't want to lose games, I don't know.

But, after watching Sky Sports News, I hear that the players are all complaining about the ball, and the Bundesliga (Germany) got to play with the ball all season, and they scored 4 goals, which is more than any other game as had, and Sepp Blatter is German, bit iornic?

So, what do you think is the reason for the lack of goals so far?

EDIT: Sepp Blatter is Swiss, my mistake.

Last edited:
Had already heard the players complaint, but that German League's habit to the ball is new to me, looks an interesting conspiracy (6)

Fifa offered the ball also to other associations with it too.

I thought Sepp Blatter was Swiss :S The reason is probably a combination of both the ball and most of the teams fearing losing so far.

I dont think its the balls really. I think that teams are being negative because they dont want to get off to a losing start and hopefullly they will open up more as the tournament goes on. So far it's been pretty dissapointing after I have been looking foward to it for 4 years.

Just a bit about the ball, its not lighter than before as some players have claimed because there is FIFA rules on the weight of the ball. And it is rounder than ever because of the shape of the pannels on the ball and also due to the material its made of is some synthetic stuff.

Sepp Blatter is from Switzerland.

I've been satisfied with it so far, not too much to expect from the first rounds as always.

the ball was used in germany last season and their wasent a shortage of goals in their was their. just give it time it will be fine, like many have said in many threads its the first group match knowone wants to lose their first game its to cagey and cautios just wait.

1) the ball was offered to loads of leagues and the bundesliga use adidas balls, the prem uses nike, theres the big problem. but the ball is also used in other leagues so i dont think there is any conspiracy.

2) the ball may well be lighter and rounder and i dont think that the balls should fly so unexpectedly, there were a lot of long range curlers in 2006, but a lot of the times in this wc the ball has just been skidding along the floor. this not only makes defenders and goalkeepers look worse, it also makes attacking players look bad because a pass that may only miss by a few inches will now miss by yards, and when players do shoot from distance, the ball goes ballooning over the bar.

3) the altitude does make a real difference, the ball flies faster, further and harder. this is the same in cricket where a miss hit may even go for six. this makes it worse for players as a ball is coming much faster towards them, they try and control it and it goes a yard further than he planned, the defence takes it and the best players look stupid. the players have obviously not trained enough at altitude and they are looking really tired after 75/80 minutes at altitude.

So, has anyone any reasons why the lack of goals?

you obviously didnt bother to read my post then

I didn't see it at the time.

Have now though, to be fair you did make some good points, although you don't need a good football to finish one-on-one chances etcc...

yeah i get that but there actually havent been too many chances apart from heskeys tbh

sorry about sounding a bit tight

I see what you did with the title there ;) lol XD

The ball was offered to all the top leagues in March so that everyone could practise it. Only the Germans took up this option.....Simples

There hasn't been a good game in the world cup so far, but i don't think its the ball, its just teams are scared to lose their first game so focus on defending

There hasn't been a good game in the world cup so far, but i don't think its the ball, its just teams are scared to lose their first game so focus on defending

First decent answer.

yea there is this, but isnt it the same every world cup? id say its a combination of this and the ball, as evidence with all the long shots we've been seeing go flying over. teams are trying to keep their shape to much as to not get exposed (the nervousness fact), so theyre keepin their distance, but the ball is alot different from wot most european based players are use to.

as the EPL & Spanish Premier Divison balls, which are from nike, are heavier than the adidas balls, a gud amount of players on show here, are use to puttin extra weight into their shots. with saying that, even the other adidas balls used this season are heavier than the WC ball, ie the Champs League ball.

i think we may have to wait till maybe the last group games before teams get use to the ball and start getting into their heads that they need to show more invention to break teams down