TerryVenables

Reaction score
Accomplishment List:
New Zealand
YoungHeart Manawatu (July 2009 - March 2011)
New Zealand Champions (2009-2010, 2010-2011)
OFL Champions League Winners (2009-2010)

South Africa
AmaZulu (March 2011 - Present)

World Wide Wisdom - A Managers Diary

Well, here I am, a fully qualified manager. Jobs are very scarce in the UK, so I need to look abroad. After many weeks of searching, I cannot find a job, so I head into the footballing abyss, outside of Europe. I look for jobs in New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Uraguay and South Africa. I apply for every job going.

Eventually, someone gets back to me. I am the new manager of...

Of course, I accepted the offer, without knowing who they are. I opened up my laptop, and quickly went on Wikipedia.

"YoungHeart Manawatu was formed in 2004 to compete in the New Zealand Football Championship (NZFC). Based in Palmerston North, they are the sole franchise in the region.
In the inaugural NZFC season (2004/2005), YoungHeart Manawatu finished bottom, easily the worst team in the league. However, in 2005/2006 they became runner-up to champions Auckland City FC."

Lovely stuff. I hope to win every version of the Champions League's in the world.

I realised the squad wasn't too bad, but with only 14 (!!) games in the league season, I need to have a squad capable of winning from the start. I released my youth team and reserves, to free up the budget. We were strong going forward, but non existent at the back. I needed reinforcements. My scouts reccomended players, so I went and got them. I hope they are good...

Sam Jasper - Free Agent - CDM/CB
A much needed CDM, and can cover at CB as well. A very solid player, a key player for my team, and only wants a tenner per week!

Trent Watson - Free (Team Wellington) - CB
A good defender, who will strengthen the back line. 32, and brings some much needed experience to the squad.

Phil Edington - Free Agent - CB
Similar to Trent Watson, very good, same type of player, only 10 years younger.

The season will kick off soon, and I will update at the half way point, see you later!

Last edited:
Hah, love this sort of story. Following, for sure.

Yeah FmGod, I started this challenge ages ago, but the ghana league i downloaded was glitched, i couldnt get a job anywhere except ghana after building up a world class reputation, so i quit it. Hope to go far in this one.

Anyone know someone who would do me a sig?

New Zealand is hard, 22 players can be registered, but there has to be 15 Under 23 players!

Bleedy **** bet that is hard christ and if u want sig go to DUNC he is doing me one now if u need to find him look at my other thread he is on tht

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

and do you know on the sig how to make it so u can click on the part like follow my aim so it doesnt have the link but a hyperlnk on a phrase

YoungHeart Manawatu

New Zealand
Mid Season Update

After 7 games in new Zealand, I feel that I have a decent understanding of the league and it's system. I think. We play a total of 14 games, and the top 4 teams go to a "Championship Playoff", where the winner is League Champs, and goes through to the OCL, Oceanian Champions League. I am aiming for at least 3rd place, and to eventually win the league.

As you know, I signed 3 players before the season started. Due to age rulings, where at least 15 players must be under 23, I brought in a few more players.

Aaron Burgess - Free Agent - ST
A good player, very good. We needed forwards, he was available.

Ross McKenzie - Free Agent - ST
Another great player, filling up another forward position.

Luke Borean - Free Agent - GK
We needed under 23 players, so to fill it with a position we needed was great for us.

I started the season with great hope, and this is how things panned out.

YoungHeart 1-1 Auckland City (Jasper)

YoungHeart 2-0 (Burgess, McKenzie)

YoungHeart 1-0 Otaga FC (Jasper)

YoungHeart 2 - 0 Waikito (Burgess, Milne)

YoungHeart 3-1 Waitakere United (Burgess 2, Banks)

YoungHeart 1-1 Canterbury Dragons (Chettleburgh)

Younghear 1-1 Hawkes Bay (Burgess)

At the halfway stage, everything is looking rosy for us. Burgess has been on fire, and is the leagues top scorer on 5 goals. We are sat top of the league, ahead by 1 point, and my aim of 3rd place is looking very good at the minute. Hopefully we can do well yet again, and push on and win the league, and hopefully the OCL in due time.

nice start mate but 14 games a season thats short. How long is the off-season

Just read through it mate. It's a rather interesting read. And also a good challenge. Expect me to be following mate :)

Is it a good league to play in. I have never played in that area like Austarlia and that

YoungHeart Manawatu

New Zealand
End of Season Update

After a good start to the league, we went unbeaten in the first seven games. We don't have a particularly good squad, but I think the team chemistry really helps make up for it. Here are our final resutls for the second half of the season.

YoungHeart 2-0 Auckland City (Banks, de Gregorio)

YoungHeart 3-2 Team Wellington (Burgess 2, Cooksley)

YoungHeart 2-0 Otago United (Banks, Burgess)

YoungHeart 0-0 Waikato

YoungHeart 1-0 Waitakere United (McKenzie)

YoungHeart 1-1 Canterbury Dragons (Burgess)

YoungHeart 1-0 Hawkes Bay (Banks)

I was very pleased with us, unbeaten, only conceded 7, and scored 21. Although this was great, our season was far from over. We had the playoffs to play.

Semi Final
YoungHeart 2-0 Auckland City (Burgess, de Gregorio)

Final
YoungHeart 3-0 Team Wellington (McKenzie 3)

There you have it, my first trophy of my career, and more importantly, we have qualified for the Oceana Champions League, the OCL. I wont the coach of the year, and the team won the Best Team award, and the Wooden Spoon award. I got confused by the wooden spoons, thats usually for the bad things?

YoungHeart Manawatu - 2009-10 New Zealand Champions!

RTEmagicC_GF_Vicelich_trophy_SW.jpg.jpg

Breaking News
We found out our OCL Groups today. There are 2 groups of 4 teams, top 2 go through, fairly simple.

Group A
Kossa FC - Solomon Islands
Lotoha'apai - Tonga
Tafea - Vanatu
YoungHeart - New Zealand

Group B
Ba - Fiji
Kiwi - Samoa
PanSa FC - American Samoa
Uncles - Solomon Islands

After seeing these groups, I am confident that we will be able to get far in the tournament. Next update will be later, the OCL Update

Last edited:
YoungHeart Manawatu
Solomon Islands

New Zealand
OFL Champions League Update

I was made Solomon Island manager, after they approached me. I hope this job will boost my reputation, as it certainly needs it. After a fantastic first season of manager, winning the NZFL, surely I couldnt win the OCL in the same year? I wanted to make that possible, here are our results.

YoungHeart 2-0 Kossa FC (Jasper, McKenzie)

YoungHeart 0-0 Lotoha'apai

YoungHeart 2-0 Tafea (Banks, Burgess)

We easily topped the group, and went on to the semi final, full of confidence.

OCL Semi Final
YoungHeart 2-1 Kossa FC (Banks 2)
We had an easy ride, and went 2-0 up early. I took off 3 star players, as kossa grabbed a goal back in the last minute. We were through to the final!

OCL Final
YoungHeart 2-0 Ba (Owens, Burgess)
A great performance, makes us champs. Unfortunately, it was McKenzie's last game, so at least we sent him off with a bang. Weirdly, he joined Hawkes Bay, a lower team in this league.

To round off, a great first season, two trophies! I will now be looking for a job in another continent, but if one doesnt come, I am happy to stay in New Zealand for another year.

Last edited:
Thanks, I really appreciate all these good comments. I will try to respond to them all, makes writing it all the more enjoyable :)

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:27 PM ----------

Anyone reading?