XML issues, failed to set up graphics and crash dumps

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Originally posted by Neil Brock on the SI Forums

For XML Issues and crash dumps, please delete your settings folder as described below:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:
My Computer
'Tools'
'Folder Options'.
The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
My Computer
'Organize'
'Folder and Search Options'.
The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:
1. Open “My Computer”
2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\
3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.
4. Delete the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Click “Start”
2. Click your username on the start Menu
3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”
4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder
5. Delete the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system

ERROR: Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system, to fix this issue, please do the following:

Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3021d52b-514e-41d3-ad02-438a3ba730ba

Use the following settings in Direct-x Control Panel.

Run the following tool:

Start->Direct-X SDK->Direct-X Utilities->Direct-X Caps Viewer

Ensure the Direct-X properties appear as the dialog below. Especially important to ensure the Enumerate Reference Rasterizer is checked.

directxo.jpg

When downloading this file please use the Firefox browser as some people have encounter difficulties when using Internet Explorer.

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Also if you are running Steam, make sure this is not running when attempting to install

Also make sure your Graphics Card drivers are updated to their latest versions:

What drivers you need and where to download them from depends on your graphics drivers.

Some Computer manufacturers insist you download drivers from their own sites. Please refer to the website of your computer manufacturer before reporting issues with graphics drivers.

To verify your PCs graphics card chipset:

For XP

From the Windows desktop:
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Type DXDIAG in the Open field (thats dxdiag in capitals, i cant get rid of the smiley)
- Click OK

For Vista/Win 7
- Click Start
- In the search programs and files box, type DXDIAG (dxdiag in capitals)
- Press Enter

This will launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click on the Display and Sound tabs. The upper left box headed ‘Devices’ shows the make and model of card; the right box headed ‘Drivers’ shows the driver version number.

Here are the websites of the largest graphics cards and chipset manufacturers:

Nvidia (Gforce/Legacy)
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

ATI (Radeon)
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Intel (Onboard Chipsets)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

There are other manufacturers of graphics card drivers. If you can not find drivers for these cards they may have been discontinued. Please ask in this case as we may still be able to help.

Driver download locations

• ATI Drivers
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

• Intel Drivers
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-020683.htm (Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family)

• nVidia Drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• SiS Drivers
http://www.sis.com/download/agreemen...url=/download/

If your driver does not appear on this list please contact us here - http://community.sigames.com/sendmessage.php

The above suggested hasn't worked, is there anything else I can try?

If this fails to work some people have reported using SwiftShader has helped them in this situation.

The demo version of SwiftShader (which is the full version but for home use only) can be downloaded from here - http://www.transgaming.com/business/swiftshader/signup

SwiftShader is a high performance software 3D renderer that can be used in place of standard Direct3D implementations.

To test it with your application download the demo, unzip the file and move the provided D3D8 or D3D9 DLL file into the same folder as the fm.exe

If you try one and it does not work (you get a windows error message for example), try the other.

Then just run the game as normal - although bear in mind the swiftshader logo will appear in the bottom left hand corner of the game.

Cheers.

Last edited:
If you get this message

"not well-formed invalid token at line 1 floating_league_table_state_changed xml"

Try this:

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Vista\Windows7: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Once deleted restart your computer and try launching the game again.

Where can I find the FM10 XML Parsin error solution ?

I'm lost without the live search bar :(

I tried deleting the folder because of crash dumps but i still get the crash dumps and the folder just reappears, i get the crash dumps when i get to a certain news item can anyone help?

I tried deleting the folder because of crash dumps but i still get the crash dumps and the folder just reappears, i get the crash dumps when i get to a certain news item can anyone help?

Its the same for me

iv had the same problem and found out its the graphic card,so if you have a laptop like me then theres only one thing you can do watch it in commentry only,hope this helps

I have an "The saved game could not be loaded" error...
i tried deleting C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings and restarting but it's still the same...

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

my first save is currepted, the second one it says it is out of memory and the third just get stucked... what do i do? :(

Its the same XML error.....its really killin me.......it was my favorite manager game but it has become really disgusting......can anyone give an exact solution???........any software downloading help??..........

Its the same XML error.....its really killin me.......it was my favorite manager game but it has become really disgusting......can anyone give an exact solution???........any software downloading help??..........

There is no exact solution as every crash dump is caused by a different problem, often the problem is nothing to do with FM.

All i can say is, i use graphics that can be trusted, ie the logo and face megapacks, almost always i use a default skin, i NEVER use FMRTE and rarely use the editor.

I keep my frankly poor laptop up to date, and i regularly defragment.

Shock horror i haven't had a crash dump since the memory leak issues of FM10 before patch 10.1

Most people who have a crash dump should probably look at themselves/their actions/their systems condition before blaming the game.

Hi there, new to this site and I've a couple of questions I need help with - I'm no techie so bear with me. I'm an old CM player - the really old ones, when Maradona was still on it as a player - and the latest version of the (what turned into FM) I tried was the 2005 version. I've decided to give the latest version a whiz and so I've downloaded the demo.

Anyway, I have it downloaded but when I click the icon to start it up, up pops a box that says "cannot run game: failed to setup graphics system". I've since checked the system requirements (trust me to do that after I've downloaded it) of the game and it appears that my "graphics card" won't support the game. I've checked both the device manager and done the DXDIAG thing, and by "display" it says, "chip type: NVIDIA GeForce Mx 420", "DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC", and "approx memory 64.MB". Firstly, is that (the chipset) also the graphics card (and video card?)? If so, is it definitely the reason why the game won't run? Finally, if that is the reason, what can I do to put it right? (if it needs a new one, how do I do install it, what's the cost etc..)

It seems that's the only thing preventing it from running, although I would annoyed if I bought a new chipset/graphics card/video card only to find something else prevented it from running. Maybe then I should put up the computer spec. According to "My computer", that would be the following: Dell & XP, Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53 GHz. Memory: 512 MB Ram. Direct X version 9.0c. (I have no idea how to find if my DVD drive is 4x speed - I presume it is). I also have a keyboard, a mouse, and a pair of speakers.

So, to sum up:

1) Is my NVIDIA GeForce MX 420 graphics card/chipset/video card (delete as appropriate) 100% not good enough to support the game.

2) If so, what can I do to rectify the problem - how much will that cost?

3) If my graphics card/chipset/video card won't support the game, is there anything else that on the face of it you think might also prevent it from running?

Any other comments relevant to my quest to get the game up and running would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Also looking for hep:) Is it possible that too much graphics (facepacks,logos,skins etc.) could cause crash dump error? And I set save game interval on every day,can it be a problem? I am asking this because I get crash dump error quite a lot,so if anyone can help please:) ?

Hi, I installed FM11 there but there's no Football Manager 2011 folder in my documents, just for the graphics and stuff. Thanks in advance

My desktop was getting the graphics problem. I tried looking for the directx control panel but no avail, then this thread reminded me about swiftshader and now it is fixed. :D

Please Help

Hi guys,

My brother in law got football manager, the previous ones 09 and 10 worked fine on his laptop. Football manager 2011 however is showing an error message when clicking into the game "Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system"

I have download the new version of DirectX to no avail. I'm completly at a loss at this stage. Any help would be grately appreciated.

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amila L7310W.

From the DirectX diagnostic tool
Device

Name: VIA/S3G Unicrome Pro IGP
Manufacturer: VIA/S3G
Chip Type: VIA/S3G Unicrome Pro IGP
DAC type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 64 MB
Current Display mode: 1280 by 800 (32 bit) 60 HZ
Monitor: Plug and Play

Drivers
Main Driver: vtdisp.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.0249
WHQL logo'd: n/a
Mini VDD: vtmini.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI: 9 or higher

Really any help would be great I had to give him my laptop until I can sort out his!!!

hey im getting the xml errors too right so i tot i would be wise and try to uninstall the prog and reisntall it. however, i tried to use the inbuilt uninstaller, it ran through, but the files still remained in my com. after dat no matter how many times i run the uninstaller deres always an error.

not only dat, when i try to use the com's program uninstaller, fm11 dosent appear anymore (it used to). soooo wad do i do now cus i tried all the other tips in the first post le but it seems dat cus ive apparently tried to uninstall the game, some files are oredi missing? like i cant find the appdata folder!

please help thanks!

talking about (crash dump) i tried what you said but it's still the same. i tried error-checking my drive also defregamte the drive and re-installing the game still all the same. My game consists of a database i made from sweden, i didnt do anything in particular just added 2 division with a cup and raised alittle finance to AIK. Altough funny part is that it keeps crash dump on 24th April 2011 (game date) and i tried a new game and went on holiday and funny thing it crashdumped again on 24th april 2011, any help?

Thanks Jake, got worried earlier when my FM wouldn't start becuase of an xml parsing error.

Thanks