You have 9 months to get a job or I’m leaving you!

wayne seator

Reaction score
“It’s time to give up on your dream of becoming a manager and get a real job, you’re going to become a father and you need to be able to support us both”. This wasn’t the sit down talk I expected when my partner told me she had some news so to say I’m shocked is an understatement. “Just give me so time I know I can get a job out there” I say partly doubting the words that come out of my own mouth. “You have 9 months that’s all”, well you can understand her point of view I guess.

The good news in all of this is that I have just completed my Continental A Licence which I think should help me have more luck, I was struggling over the past 2 years with just my Continental B Licence, picking up a little bit of part time work with clubs around Wellington, New Zealand. So my partner and I put together a wish list of locations we would like to live and here it is.

- New Zealand/Australia - England - Germany
- Canada/ USA - Croatia - Greece
- Mexico - Czech Rep. - Holland
- Argentina - Denmark - Italy
- Brazil - France - Portugal
- Scotland - Spain - Switzerland

So the good news is there is looks of clubs and lots of leagues to look at. Here’s hoping I can find something.

The month of July

So I jump online and start looking around at a few bits and Pieces and realise that there is a few opportunities around so I sit down with a beer and start emailing clubs and open up dialog with both Oxford and Accrington Stanley. After a few emails back and forwards I was invited to have interviews via Skype.

I thought both interviews went really well, but then within a matter of hours I was informed that I never got the Oxford job. I’m not going to lie there wasn’t much interest there from either side. Then the very next day I get a phone call with a weird number and I get a little confused but it was the Chairman from Accrington Stanley offering me the job. I was in complete shock, so I informed him of this and asked for a week, he understood considering I had to travel half way around the world. It took me a couple of days to think and I knew my partner would be ok with moving to England but it wasn’t her preferred destination so in the end it wasn’t a dream job or dream location so I turned the job down, I was hard to do but it was the right decision…… I hope.

View attachment 165209View attachment 165210View attachment 165211View attachment 165212

I like this idea mate. I hope you keep posting it.

Month of August.

Well I know there is no taking it back now but I’m starting to regret not going to Accrington.

Fluminense FC- Rejected.

Sporting Kansas City- Think I’m a joke.

Coritiba FC. Rejected

This month was a reality check for me. If I have another couple of months like this I might need to start looking away from football.

Month of September

Well the month came and went no jobs to apply for not even a sniff of one. I was feeling a little desperate at this stage so I went to have a coffee with current wellington Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick for a chat. While we were having a chat he said he will set up a meeting with the Phoenix chairman to sort out my CV. After both these meetings had finished I was feeling a lot better, down side was there was still no jobs about. Bring on a positive October……. I hope.

Month of October

“Hey honey, how would you like to move to Denmark?” this was the best phone call of my life. I never told her about the application and interview via skype, I didn’t want to let her down as I have so many times before. Anyway I was doing my normal desperate search of the net for a job when I saw that Thomas Frank had been fired from Brøndbyernes Idrætsforening (Brondby IF), I thought to myself that team rings a bell so I google searched them and I realised that was the team Daniel Agger was at. I thought to myself why not, applied for the job and the rest is history.

View attachment 164765

We need you here as soon as possible.

What a mission to get from Wellington to Denmark but here is the trip I’m booked into, Wellington to Auckland, Auckland to Los Angles, Los Angles to Frankfurt the Frankfurt to Copenhagen, over all travel time 28 hours. In the meantime the Director of Football is overloading me with emails about the squad

View attachment 164764View attachment 164763View attachment 164762

Without even meeting the squad I had to confirm my captain and vice-captain. I haven’t changed it as I haven’t had time to assess the team.

First day in the office

Well I’ve now arrived in Denmark and in the office for the first time, wow Denmark is cold. So first thing I do is look through the seasons results and points table, it’s not a pretty read but something tells me the team is better than what it reads. I call the Assistant Manager in to have a chat, he tells me that the previous manager lost the changing room, but then tells me that the team are looking forward to meeting me.

I go down to meet the team they all seem nice, we have a laugh and a joke, the boys all know that I’m jet lagged so we will leave the serious stuff until tomorrow, the day before the big game, the first game against the bottom of the table.

View attachment 164531View attachment 164530

Two games in October

Well the first game was VS Viborg Fodsports Forening which ended in a bore draw. Nothing exciting but it was good to see the defence hold up without Daniel Agger. Stand out player for the team was central defender Martin Albrechtsen. First game 1 point not bad at all, we were away from home which makes the point even sweeter.

View attachment 163854

First home game, first win, man of the match Magnus Eriksson scored in the 5th minute which gave us a good platform VS Football Club Midtjylland. Captian Thomas Kahlenberg doubled the lead on the 49thminute then Finnish international Teemu Pukki made it 3 nil 2 minutes later. FC Midtjylland got a late goal in the 70th minute but it was nothing more than a consolation goal.

View attachment 163853

The Month Of November

4 games 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss 11 goals for 6 against, makes for an interesting month.

Game 1 was vs Odense Boldklub, 1 all draw with Magnus Eriksson scoring our goal.

View attachment 163827

Game 2 was vs Football Club København, this was the game of the month for us and unfortunately we lost 5-6. Kamil Wilczek scored 2 goals, Teemu Pukki with 1 and an own goal.

View attachment 163826

Game 3 was vs Aarhus Gymnastik Forening, this was a 3 nil win. Goal scorers were Riza Durmisi with a double and Johan Elmander with 1.

View attachment 163825

Game 4 was vs Aalborg Boldspilklub, another 3 nil win with Andrew Hjulsager, Johan Larsson and Johan Larsson all with 1 goal each.

View attachment 163824

November’s points table and league review.

So with some great results over the past 6 weeks have seen us rise from 11th in the league to 6th, the league itself is very close so we are still close you European Qualification. None of our players are breaking into the goal, assist or average ratings top 3 but that could change by the time the season ends. December see’s us play 1 game then we head into a 2 and a half month break which will see me head back to New Zealand to pick up my partner and fully move to Denmark.

View attachment 163823

Month of December

1 game this month and 1 win, we travelled to Football Club Nordsjælland and won 3-1. Goal Scorers were Frederik Holst, Andrew Hjulsager and an own goal. That was a good way to round the first part of the season up. We are sitting in 5th place 1 point of European Qualification. Now it’s time to head back to New Zealand pack my house up and move to Denmark full time with my partner.

View attachment 162969

View attachment 162968

Made it home

So after my long trip back from Denmark I am meet at the Auckland Airport by some strange guy, he seems to know me, anyway we start chatting and he informs me that he is a player agent for a few players in New Zealand, he tells me he has a couple of gems, I reply to him “look mate I have just travelled 28 hours back to New Zealand give me your number and I will talk to you in a couple of days.” He said that sounded great and gives me a package and says read through this and watch the dvd’s.
Well I have 3 hours to wait for my flight down to wellington and I have my lap top on me so why not? I get myself a much needed coffee and plug in one of the dvds, all it has wriiten on it is Clayton Lewis, do I start watching, I like it this kid is good, I find the guys number and ring him “still in the Airport? We need to talk!”

First signings

Well the house is all packed up, no thanks to me I’ve been on the phone the whole time, this agent is pushy but he does make some good points, his two talents that that we are in talks over will cost next to nothing, Clayton Lewis will be a free transfer and Judd Baker will cost 80k. At the very least I will make a profit on them if they don’t make it, it has got to be good for New Zealand football for these kids to even get a chance training in Europe.

Anyway we have flown to Auckland to head off to Denmark and guess who is waiting for me? That’s right the agent. I guess it’s a good time to tell him the club has agreed to sign the two boys. “you owe me a coffee” I tell him, he gets a smile from ear to ear I’m pretty sure he knows what I mean, “mate if it means what I think it means I owe you more than that………

View attachment 162110

View attachment 162109

Nice concept for the story, bit different from what you usually see. All the best for the future with it