Young Boys v Tottenham Hotspur [17/08/10 - 19:45]

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
Tottenham Hotspur v Young Boys [25/08/10 - 19:45]

90vsm1y4jfzt.png

v.
Large_20070815_114723_Tottenham-Hotspur.png

The first leg of Tottenham's CL qualifier will be played in Berne, Switzerland tonight. The game will be played on a plastic pitch, rather than the grass surfaces that feature in England. Tottenham will be hoping for a result away from home, in a game where they are considered favourites, a rarity in what is sure to be a taxing CL campaign, should they progress.

Possible teams:
Young Boys (Possible, 4-5-1): Wolfli; Sutter, Affolter, Jemal, Raimondi; Spycher, Degen, Doubai, Lulic, Costanzo; Bienvenu.

Tottenham (Possible, 4-4-2): Gomes; Corluka, Dawson, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto; Giovani, Huddlestone, Modric, Bale; Crouch, Defoe. (Potentially, Kranjcar may play on the right ahead of Giovani)

What they are saying:
Harry Redknapp: "We have a great chance, the pitch will suit us, the way we pass the ball. It looks like a good surface. It’s much better than QPR’s used to be many years ago.”

Michael Dawson: ""There are so many [Champions League] games you watch and to play against the best players in the world – Messi and players like that – would be fantastic and a great test."

Scott Sutter, Young Boys midfielder: "Now people know there is an English player playing in Switzerland, where as a lot of the time it was said I was a Swiss player because I’ve got a Swiss passport and not many people knew my background in England. But being on a stage like the Champions League is a place where you can present yourself and show what you can do and hopefully I can do that against Tottenham."

Stat of the game: Young Boys led the Swiss Super League for the majority of last season only to lose the title race to FC Basel on the final day.

Betting tip: Spurs are stronger all over the field, but with nerves and the surface likely to play a part, the score draw at 11/4 looks good value.

Predictions for this one? I'm thinking Young Boys 0 - 1 Tottenham, with the goal scored late-on once the team are more familiar with the surface.

Last edited:
i think spurs will hammer them 0-3 defoe x2 giovanni

Hoping for a Spurs win although I can see an upset on the cards. Should be comfortable for Spurs but YB shouldn't be underestimated. Beating Fenerbache home & away is proof of that.

Young Boys 2 - 1 Spurs (But Spurs to demolish them at White Hart Lane to progress to the group stage).

a hard fought 1-2 win. young boys have a great record at home

Please don't slip up -- I've been waiting too long (my whole life in fact) for a crack at the big one! C'mon on Spurs!!!

1-0 Spurs will do me -- don't want a 0-0 as that could prove dangerous in the home leg.

As wrong as this sounds; I'm a young boys fan tonight!

Young Boys 0-2 Tottenham.

Comfortable enough win for Spurs.

im not so sure about this match, Spurs have a great squad but Young Boys have experience at this level and that i think will make a big difference, im putting my neck on the line here and predicting a score draw.

I reckon it will be about a 1-1.

But surely Pavlyuchenko has to play, as he will be used to plastic pitches for Russia. I would like to see Giovani given a chance as well.

tbh i think tonight we will have ... DEMOLISHED BOYS.

BOYS 0 - 3 SPURS!

1-1 i think alot of people underestimate YB they are a good team

they are good because they beat a Fenerbache... thats what you all think -..- ... ffs spurs have enough quality to get trough Champions league quarters.

they are good because they beat a Fenerbache... thats what you all think -..- ... ffs spurs have enough quality to get trough Champions league quarters.

well yeah, beating Fenerbache i dare say wasn't easy. Dont quite understand why your getting on the defensive when Spurs aren't mentioned in the many teams you have listed you support.

Also, im not doubting Spurs dont have quality in there squad but quarter finals? i doubt it.

No one is saying they're an awesome team. Just that Spurs need to be careful not to fall into the same trap that Fener did in underestimating Young Boys. Of course Spurs are favourites, people are just saying they need to be wary.

because getting to the quarter finals is that easy.... for one thing they lack a lone striker to allow them to play a 3 man mid, something that is vital to take them anywhere in europe.

fenerbache are a good side, think you're being a little ignorant about other european sides

Last edited:
I actually love Young boys /no pun intended :D
I managed them last year's game, t'was good

well yeah, beating Fenerbache i dare say wasn't easy. Dont quite understand why your getting on the defensive when Spurs aren't mentioned in the many teams you have listed you support.

Also, im not doubting Spurs dont have quality in there squad but quarter finals? i doubt it.

They are an english team, i LOVE english football, well i dotn even need to explain myself, but there you have it. ;)

I'm hoping Spurs get dicked by the Young Boys (Dirty pun intended)

However I can't see it, 2-1 Spurs.