Steven Defour this year
after 2 unsuccesfull tries he finally signed for me
also Eduardo from Shakhtar and Vukojevic from Dynamo,
and this years FM is full of awesome free players after 1 or 2 seasons

steven defour is a my current captatin and most consistent performer, sergio romero is my current number one now and markus henrkissen is my super sub

all free and in my 5th year in wigan now

FM08 - Christiano Ronaldo (aged 33) for my Newcastle team
FM11 - Raphael Nade (sp) for my Hereford team! Probably the only reason why I got promoted first time :D

Yaya Diane third season, owned League 1 and Championship for my AFC Telford United.

Pato for Man United at the end of the second season, or Dzeko for Barca at end of season 3 :)

In my Lazio game got Sami Khedira for free january 2013, awesome signing.
For Liverpool, managed to get Urby Emmanualson and Affelay for free. Very good utility players :)

I've had great free transfers in previous games (such as Ribery and Gourcuff), but I've only really played as Brisbane in FM11 and my best free transfers have taken on a different meaning....such as Australian, key players, on wages less than 2,000 pounds per week, and if forced to sell... for a lot of money for the club.

On the whole in FM games, I try to stay clear off marquee off-contract signings, because I like to keep my wage budget quite low...but sometimes it's hard to resist.

If you mean in any of the Football Managers.. It has to be in FM10 with Coutinho. For some bizarre reason Inter didnt renew his contract at the end of the first season. I got him on a free with Bolton.. yes.. BOLTON and he was immense for me. After 3 seasons his value was over £30,000,000.

Best signing ever.

S. Asenjo for backup... and my first choice is David De Gea.... I LOLD!!!

So far, it's been Michael Owen for Celtic, start of the second season. He's been injured once, but even at that, He's got around 15 in 18 games. Very good player playing next to a target man.

In this FM11 Egidio Arevalo Rios for my Celtic squad...Superb DMC for the scottish premier league

Rene Adler to Manchester City in 2017-18.

Legendary goalkeeper. Still world class at 36 years old.

I got Kaka on fm 08 but every save he went for free around 2012