Your Rivals

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 3K

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
After our boys ending our truly-heartbreaking league record against Arsenal last season with a 2-1 win, I thought I'd make this thread to get people's opinion on the topic of their rivals.

Try and keep this thread argument free. I know the discussion between rivals can get quite passionate and 'loud', but just share your thoughts on when the game is at its most intense and ferocious, when the win is worth more than just the 3 points that come with it.

Try and keep this based on one rival please; your main rival.

What do you hate most about your rivals?

I find Arsenal to be an arrogant side, and their fans do nothing to soothe this opinion of their club. I really don't like the bitterness that comes out of their side of North London, especially Wenger's oft-ridiculous conspiracy theories.

It's always be a one-sided record against them in my lifetime, and this makes me hate them even more.

Oh, and Sol Campbell.

Your best ever derby moment?

I personally have three, and I'll describe them in order:

#1: The 2 - 1 win over Arsenal at WHL last season. When Danny Rose's strike smashed into the back of the net from such a ridiculous angle and distance, you knew the result was going to be a good one for us. It was the day where the hoodoo was finally broken, and Spurs fans rejoiced.

#2: The 5 - 1 win over Arsenal in the Carling Cup. Every goal that went in earned another jubilant cheer from Spurs fans throughout. The only sad part about this victory was that it wasn't in the league.

#3: The 4 - 4 draw against Arsenal, coming back from 4 - 2 down in the final 3 minutes of injury time. I'll admit, stormed out of my university hall's common room when the clock hit 87 minutes and we were still 2 goals down, and received a gleeful phone call 2 minutes later screaming at me to come back downstairs as we had just scored. Thankfully I caught the highlights later.

And the worst?

Pretty much every game against them at The Emirates. We always seem to go ahead too, and get clawed back and torn apart by the second-half, which is always depressing.

What do you secretly admire about your rivals?

Their financial measures, and playing within their means. They don't spend too much on wages, and they keep tabs on transfer fees.

Which player do you most fear from the opposition?

Fabregas is an animal on his day. I think his solo goal against us proved that. So I would say him, but hopefully we won't have to worry about playing against him outside of Europe soon.

Personly for me it now has to be Liverpool. this obviously started when Benitez and Mourinho first went head to head and we seemed to get them in every cup for about 3-4 seasons. the main reason why i find Liverpool my main rivals is because of how they always bang on about their ''history'' and like i say history is an excuse for the lack of current success. i do

I admire their spirit and passion during Champions League nights at Anfield its just an amazing atmosphere.

The player i fear most easily Fernando Torres!!!! always seems to score against Chelsea (apart from last season).

My best game i remember against Liverpool is actually in1997 in the FA Cup 4th round at Stamford Bridge, Liverpool were winning 2-0 at half time and we looked dead and burried. but no the boys had other ideas and we ended up winning 4-2 with goals from Mark Hughes, Franco Zola and Luca Vialli scored 2. we also went on to win that FA Cup with the famous Di matteo final goal so the win was really special.

my worst game was in 2007 when we looked strong yet again we drew Liverpool in the Champions League semi finals. we won the first let at the bridge 1-0 and i knew that it proberly wouldnt be enough. and i was proven right Liverpool leveled early on from a Danny Agger goal and it stayed that way all through the 120 minutes so on to penaltys. now as abit of a Chelsea stat man i knew our record from penalty shootouts wasent good so i wasent confident.... i was right to feel nervous we ended up loosing the shootout 4-1 and the Champions League is still a dream.

the reason i didnt pick Man Utd even though they are our main title rivals is because i respect them as a club and they are prove that they are a massive club year in year out.

Last edited:

I hate everything about them,

I hate how the national team relies on their star player

I hate how my boyhood hero plays for them

I hate Gary Neville

I just hate the ****** mancs

4-1 At Old Trafford

Dossena Lobbing VDS...Icing on the cake.

Carlsberg don't do results, but if they did...

And the worst?

3 worst moments

1. The day the equalled our record of 18 league titles

2. A 4-0 defeat back in the Van Nistelrooy days :'( (Hyypia Red Card) - reason we lost

3. A 3-0 in Apr/May 2008, watched that game with a hangover :'( (Mascherano Red Card) - reason we lost

I secretly secretly secretly.....

Admire nothing about ****** mancs

Rooney

He has twice the reason to hate us, what's not to fear

Last edited:
Gotta be Chelsea. I hate the way they have no history and history makes a club.

I don't hate them.

Not much. I suppose as an Arsenal fan I can appreciate that they use some English players in their starting 11.

Gomes. After their 2-1 victory over us last season I shouldn't even have to explain why.

This will be about Newcastles most fierce rivalry, against Bristol Rovers.

They put ******* raisins in the Balti pies, who the **** does that?! mongs, thats who.

They have a massive stadium, full of seats and ****.

They are so close, you can smell them from our stadium, and they stink of ****.

When Fernando Alonso scored for them against us, from his own half, promting a danceoff between Barry Chuckle and Alan Shearer on the touchline.

And the worst?

Eating a Balti Pie at half time, and finding ******* raisins in it. Bastards!

They have colour on their kit, I wish we could have colour on our kit.

Dom Blizzard, someone once told me, he is actually Storm from the X-men, and when they are losing, he starts a massive snow storm and gets the game called off.

That and he managed to break someones leg after 12 seconds of a game, tank.

liverpool:

i hate their arrogance about 5 european title when they done very little in the last two decades

i hate the way they always say "next year is our year", its never their year. pipe down

favourite derby
: YouTube- Man Utd 2 - 1 Liverpool (FA Cup - 1999)

worst moment

losing 4-1. when dossena lobs your keeper,its just not a good day

favourite moment

coming back after we had won 18!

what do i admire:

the spirit of the true anfield mob, they are frankly, awesome fans, have a lot of grudging respect for them.

most feared player:
That man torres. the only player who genuinely makes me curl in fear when he gets on the ball against united. hope we see the best of himm again this season, just not against united.

Last edited:
Main Rival

Liverpool. Was a toss up between them and United but I find Liverpool slightly more irritating. I don't mind Arsenal or Spurs to a certain extent.

Against Liverpool, well this seasons result at Anfield proved significant in our quest for the title so that has to be up there.

Other results include the Champions League battles over the years (Especially the 4-4 draw at the Bridge), and our 4-1 win at Anfield a number of seasons ago.

And the worst?

Has to be the 'Ghost Goal', 'Nuff said

Although I don't like their fans, you have to respect how loyal they are and commited to the club despite going through tough times of late.

Definately Lucus.

Oh most fear? Probably Torres when he is fit. Gerrard isn't a problem against us, he's either injured or provides us with an own goal or an assist so he usually helps the cause.

Rival Team is: CHELSEA

What do you dislike most about your rivals?

That they have bought there sucess wereas we earn it and before Carlo came in they sacked a manager every season

I have two the one in December 07 when we beat them at the Emirates and Gallas scored a bullet header against his old team

The one at the bridge in the 08/09 season where Chelsea took the lead through a Djouru (SP) own goal and then RVP turned it around with two cracking goals and we win 2-1

And the worst?

The 4-1 at the Emirates in 08/09 and the 3-0 at the Emirates last season were Drogba scored the Freekick

Nothing (6)

Didier Drogba fantastic forward who loves scoring against Arsenal and scores at least once past us every time we meet:'(

Last edited:
RIVAL - SPORTING CP

After every defeat they accuse either the referee, the ball, the field, the supporters or even the weather. You will never hear them saying: "We lost because our opponents played better than us."

I hate them saying that they are the best team in Portugal, when they have 18 championships, 14 less than Benfica and 5 less than Porto; when they have no European competitions won, while Benfica and Porto have 2 ECC.

I hate their fans, the posh people in Lisbon, who drives to the stadium in their lovely Mercedes/Porsche/Audi cars (don't call me jealous, my father has an Audi, but I would never go to the stadium in it, just to show that I have that car), and say that Benfica and Porto fans are hooligans, and that they have the gift of word.

And they always saying: "We have the best school in Portugal, you must thank us having Ronaldo in the national team..." (Like he did anything with our shirt on...). They might have the best school in the country but do they really have to rub it in our faces... C'mon...

This season 2-0 victory against them, when Aimar scored the 2nd goal. I only remember jumping of my seat and run to the border of the stand.

And the worst?

The 5-3 loss at 07/08 Portuguese Cup semi-final. We were winning 2-0 at the break, and I even started sending SMS to all the Sporting fans I know. Then they turned the game over and we finished losing. That was probably the worst game of my life.

Their academy is great, it is just a shame that they keep saying that...

Maybe Joao Moutinho. Oh, wait, he left! :) Just kidding. Simon vukcevic is, for me, the best player in their squad, it's a relief that he never plays...

Said I wouldn't but I will. Don't see them as rivals particularly, specially with us being in different leagues now. It's always a slightly bigger game when playing the geordies though.

The fans.

Think they deserve this that and everything. Big club etc.. etc...

They have a big stadium. That is all.

Probably the 2-2 draw when Hasselbaink pretty much punched the ball in to equalise in stoppage time. Also the 1-0 win as it was a rare thing really. We usually draw.

And the worst?

Apart from the fact we rarely beat them (in my life time always seems to be a draw). Probably the 3-1 loss at St.James' in 08/09. Kinda condemned us and was an abysmal display. 2-0 this season was another terrible performance.

They are in the prermiership again.

At the moment none, but if any would pick out Nolan.

Although I am a Palace fan first and a Villa fan second, I like Brighton and I don't mind the other half of Brum. However, a friend of mine and I have had a running rivalry between Villa and Arsenal since we were around 5, so here goes:

"I'm afraid I never saw the penalty"

Eduardo's dive, Nasri's stamp, Wenger's insistence that Walcott is a world class player, William Gallas in general, whining every time they lose to Stoke or the like. The latter especially ****** me off. Learn to defend. Get to the gym.

Gabby outpacing the Arsenal defence (and beating up Gallas en route) to seal a 2-0 win.

And the worst?

Fabregas coming on and ripping us apart. First goal was class, second was just harsh.

Their beautiful attacking football, and their willingness to give youth a shot.

Fabregas, easily. That man can turn a match in an instant.

Rival - Benfica

What do you hate mos about your rivals ?

sometimes the arrogance, whe they win, they are best team in the world, sometimes that irritates a lot, and also, they insist in calling us hooligans, and that on our way to Lisbon we **** everything that moves, cars, gas stations, etc , etc, it's true, but , they do the same thing, but it seems that we do it bigger :(

your best derby moment?

If Benfica were able to win at Estádio do Dragão they were champions, in oour own stadium, that didn't happen , because Fernando Beluschi scored a fantastic strike, and we won :)

and the worst ?

Loosing the championship to them, nontheless, they won it fare and square !

what do you secretly admire about your rivals?

the fact that the daughter of the president of angola loans them money :) it would be quite handy to us :)

which player do you fear the mos from the opposition?

It was Di Maria, but now I guess El Conejo, Saviola, the man can still do wonders :(

PCastro, please dont be offended by none of this :)

Dirty horrible arrogant lot that i've grown up in and around. The glorious price of being so close to each other is that. Despise everything about them.

Ones i've been to has to the 1-0 win at Molineux not so long back, fantastic performance against then a much superior **** side (hard to admit, but they WERE leaps and bounds ahead of us at this point). Was a fantastic atmosphere, and nothing better then getting one over them sodding twats.

The one I do wish i'd have gone to however, would be the 2-1 win at the nest before my time.

YouTube- Albion v Wolves - October 1989

Seeing it just brings shivers down my spine, how I wish i could have been there.

And the worst?

Play off semi-final. The least said, the better.

Nothing really, they have a good following but thats it.

Been that long since we played them it's now two totally different squads. If anything that Dorrans lad looks like hes got something about him, and they've got rid of Koren so not sure at all.

Rival - Benfica

What do you hate mos about your rivals ?

sometimes the arrogance, whe they win, they are best team in the world, sometimes that irritates a lot, and also, they insist in calling us hooligans, and that on our way to Lisbon we **** everything that moves, cars, gas stations, etc , etc, it's true, but , they do the same thing, but it seems that we do it bigger :(

your best derby moment?

If Benfica were able to win at Estádio do Dragão they were champions, in oour own stadium, that didn't happen , because Fernando Beluschi scored a fantastic strike, and we won :)

and the worst ?

Loosing the championship to them, nontheless, they won it fare and square !

what do you secretly admire about your rivals?

the fact that the daughter of the president of angola loans them money :) it would be quite handy to us :)

which player do you fear the mos from the opposition?

It was Di Maria, but now I guess El Conejo, Saviola, the man can still do wonders :(

PCastro, please dont be offended by none of this :)

Everything you said is true, and the truth doesn't hurt... :)

Good luck tomorrow against Trabzonspor...

Their bitterness and the way their newer fanbase sings about stuff which united the city at the time.

All you need is Rush...

And the worst?

When they beat us 2-0 at Anfield and it helped them stay up on goal difference.

Their ability to attract a lot of the top local talent by offering a fast track into the first team.

Arteta. Genuine class player.

As I suipport 3 teams (due to moving house when young) i guess I'll have to write an essay

MAN CITY

what can I say, I hate United for being so smug, I hate Utd for having almost no fans IN Manchester and that Scottish bloke, can we get subtitles when he does interviews please :P

Best Derby Moment - not been to a City - Utd derby, too pricy, but as a kid i do remember going to Maine Road, not to watch City, no, it was a semi final on neutral ground, between Oldham (My birth-town) and Man United - Oldham were huge underdogs and managed to get a 3-3 draw, and lost the replay 2-1 three days later, i think that was 1989/90

Crystal Palace

Hated Rivals (Millwall & Brighton)

What I hate about Millwall is (again, based on when I was a kid) how violent the fans were. I was 8 years old and got a broken foot and fractured skull

Best Derby Moment - Relegating Brighton in the 90's sometime

Worst moment, being kick from thornton heath to East Surrey Hospital by scummers

Crawley Town

Well now, we are 4 divisions above most of our local rivals, except Brighton....... SO I guess that makes them my most hated rival, no, wait i really hate Millscum ....... oh and and I can't stand Untied

Best Derby

Well its confusing but Championship side Millwall played a friendly at BSP team Crawley Town on Saturday, and although they aren't rivals, Millwall are mine lol

The score was 1-1 which is a win in my book

Worst Derby

Same game as best Derby - Sam Rents (Crawleys Strong DL) is injured for up to 4 months with a broken nose & cheekbone, dirty scummers OR Brighton 6 - 1 Crawley - i can't decide wants worse

What do i Secretly admire

Their kit colour (Man Utd) Their City (Brighton) Nothing (Millwall)

Last edited:

I hate Spurs :)

I just find them to think they are such a big club, when in reality they have only won what, two league titles?

I hate thier fans too, as I have heard from various people that they are thugs, always looking for fights.

I hate the way they* overrate themselves, to seem good. Then if they do achieve something good, they say 'oh, look how good we are'*

They never stick with thier managers. Even during this season, I heard cries from various fans saying they wanted Redknapp out, but now he is seen as god.

I have so much more, but I shall go on :P

* Talking from experiences with Spurs fans I've encountered.

NOT IN ORDER

#1: 5-4 at the lane. What a game! I think the quality of football and how dramatic it was, made it in my top 3.

#2: 1-0 Emirates. In a game which Spurs played so much better, on steps Nicklas Bendtner. 'nuff said.

#3: 2-2 WHL. Where we won the league! Even though we took a lead, and lost it, I will always remember that as one of the greatest moments in my life :)

And the worst?

4-4. Worst game of football in my life.

As much as I hate they're fans, they're pretty loud.

Palacios, he looks scary.

Manchester Utd.

One of the things I dislike about Man U, is the fan base, you can never tell if the fan is a glory hunter, or genuinely a true fan. Of course their success bothers me, as a Liverpool fan, now threatening to beat our record of domestic league titles. And Gary Neville.

None other than watching the 'Pool thrash Man U 4-1 at Old Trafford. Me, sitting at halfway, with my two Man U supporting cousins. Nothing can beat moments like this, especially when you witness the specticle of Andrea Dossena lobbing Van Der Saar from 25 yards.

Other moments are the other victories in recent years. [The 3 in a row]
And the worst?

Witnessing us getting beat, by Man U twice at Anfield. Nothing hurts more than spending alot of money to fly over for a big game, and going home empty handed.

Their manager - Possibly the greatest manager the game has ever seen. I can only have wished he was the Liverpool manager. Although, I dislike him, for rivalry purposes, there is no taking away from his managerial abilities.

Not really the obvious choice (Rooney), but I fear players who are going to make it difficult to score against, players like Ji Sung Park, who has played brilliantly against Liverpool, from memory. Fletcher, is another, makes it tough for Gerrard to get the freedom he would like, which angers me.

Last edited:
Back