Zamora 'deserves England chance'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Fulham's Chris Baird says there is no reason why in-form striker Bobby Zamora should not win a call-up to the England squad.

More...

purrlease there have been other players playing well but they never get the england call zamora is just unluicky not to be playing at a bigger club (no offfense to fulham) if he was at villa and heskey fulham zamora would have a better chance

CAPELLO'S OPTIONS: Striker goal/games ratios for 2009-10 season
J Defoe: 17/21 (81%)
W Rooney: 14/25 (56%)
D Bent: 10/18 (56%)
B Zamora: 9/21 (43%)
G Agbonlahor: 9/23 (39%)
C Cole: 7/19 (37%)
P Crouch: 8/22 (36%)
M Owen: 7/22 (32%)
E Heskey: 3/22 (14%)

Difference between Fulham and Villa was one place last season, 6th and 7th, they are out of Europe but are doing better in the League. They just have more fans than us and more money.

Although im a birmingham city fan. Villa are far and above a better team than fulham, always have been always will be.

BUT neither Gabby or Bobby should be going to the world cup. We want to win the thing for god sake!

which means we need players that do it on a day to day basis. and can produce on big stages. Those two haven't got to the big stage.

Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Owen.

Or Heskey for Bent because Fabio likes him.

The argument that Zamora can be a handful is true, i agree with that. But goalscorer he isnt!

Although i was impressed with that burnely finish, but then again when he came to St Andrews a few weeks ago, missed a sitter.

CAPELLO'S OPTIONS: Striker goal/games ratios for 2009-10 season
J Defoe: 17/21 (81%)
W Rooney: 14/25 (56%)
D Bent: 10/18 (56%)
B Zamora: 9/21 (43%)
G Agbonlahor: 9/23 (39%)
C Cole: 7/19 (37%)
P Crouch: 8/22 (36%)
M Owen: 7/22 (32%)
E Heskey: 3/22 (14%)

Difference between Fulham and Villa was one place last season, 6th and 7th, they are out of Europe but are doing better in the League. They just have more fans than us and more money.

yes but zamora cant score goals against good opposition i think he scored most of his goals againt poor oposition in the bottom half. I wonder when the last time he scoreda against top 4 opposition ?

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

and owen has scored goals v good opposition e.g. man city.

Last edited:
How often does Crouch or Heskey score against top opposition, Zamora is the same type of player and has scored more goals this season, he is also getting game time unlike the other two, Capello has always said that he wants a big man upfront.

zamora should have been given an opportunity, agreed.
however i cannot see zamora, heskey or crouch ever becoming quality international players

I'd take Agbonlahor, his pace would tear up the defence at the world cup.
As for Zamora, he isn't world class, but he is one to look out for.

zamora should have been given an opportunity, agreed.
however i cannot see zamora, heskey or crouch ever becoming quality international players

The only two who have are Owen and Rooney, Owen isn't getting enough football and Crouch is most internationally proven after that

I would take Rooney, Agbonlahor, Owen, Defoe and if your taking 5 Bent or C.Cole.
Dont see the need for a tall striker myself as for zamora i dont rate him at all espicially his finishing. I mean Zamora scored a whopping 2 goals last season how can we not put him in the squad :O

Last edited:
Capello will take a big striker so at least one of Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Emile Heskey or Bobby Zamora will be included in the squad. From first choice, I would like to think I would choose Zamora but I'd go for Carlton Cole.

surely now he deserves a chance surely his proven his class without a dout.

hes proven in the epl yes, but international is a completely different stage, i wouldnt take him

How cool would it be if? Zamora went to the World Cup, then England got to the final Rooney, Crouch ect ect got injured Zamora had to start and won the game.

I'm pretty sure Jack Fulham would cream his pants.

I doubt he will go now. I think Capello has got his plans sorted in his head. I think Zamora only chance now will be if there is an injury to one of the chosen target men. I think If defoe or Rooney dont make it,. he will then take bent or Gabby

He really needed a chance to show what he could do for England before hand.

However, he should be ahead of both Heskey and Cole I think.

Heskey is so ****, if he goes i have lost faith in capello

he is scoring in europe so surely playing against other foreign teams at the world cup would be to his benifit. teams wouldnt know much about his style of play because he isent really known i belive he would be a great choice.

Oh come on stop writing him off. Owen is definetly not going to world cup so he moved up one place on the list. i reckon he'll get picked for the friendly vs mexico and sit on the bench and will be used as a sub and not make an impact well thats my opinion. i think hiz in good form but so what england don't need him. we had a situation with blackburn striker davies wasn't it his manager kept moaning at why he didn't get a call up and people kept saying hiz style of play and englands where different. I massively doubt he will go to the world cup. but capello did say he would take a surprise package with hi didn't he. i still think that surprise will be jack wilshire

Back