Zorak's Brave New World, 4-2-3-1. Wycombe win Premiership with 101 points.

In other news, I am testing this now with a new game as Lazio. So, a medium ability top-flight team, but with big financial constraints. But progress is slow because I've just started a new job and that's taking up most of my time now. I'll post some screenshots when I can.

Thanks for your kind words :)

I especially like you're 4-0 drubbing of Inter, now there's a night that will be remembered in Barnsley. :)

Its cool that was a great display yep Oakwell is the place to be (H) The midfield are key every game i watch them they do so much work and i rotate between 4 of them. Its good as you also loose games but it is down to me using wrong shouts or wrong team talk so makes it a great all round tactic. Am surprised not got more feedback from others which is a shame.
I would say it is more a player tactic as put the wrong player into a role and the whole tactic goes wrong, i lost 1-0 to Newcastle because my DLP was a DM and got caught for pace left a gap and they scored :'( so important to pick the right players.

Yeah, I designed the entire tactic around the strengths of my team individually. However, saying that, n my Lazio game I don't quite have the same sort of players as I did with Wycombe. My full backs are far more attacking naturally and are really getting forward and putting crosses in. With Klose being so good in the air on fm13, I've scored more headers in the first few months at Lazio than I think I ever did with Wycombe, just because a couple of players are different.

I do, but not as often as I should! You are absolutely correct, OI's should be a good addition to any tactic.
I believe that if OI's do more harm than good to a tactic, then the balance in that tactic is far too tenuous and easily upsetted.

Would this work in the championship?

If you have the relative players, it should work at any level.

I have had success in testing while playing as Eastwood town using this tactic, but dropping the two CM's to DM's and using Counter.

Can I use a BWM instead of CM(D) and a DLP(S) instead? And one CD(X) and the other CD(C)? I'm asking because those are the players I currently have. And what size field do you recommend? I typically use the largest available since I get the best fitness coaches

Last edited:
Can I use a BWM instead of CM(D) and a DLP(S) instead? And one CD(X) and the other CD(C)? I'm asking because those are the players I currently have. And what size field do you recommend? I typically use the largest available since I get the best fitness coaches

The only real difference between a CM on defend and a BWM are their closing down instructions, a BWM will run about all over the shop trying to slide tackle everybody; a CM on defend is much smarter and tries to keep a balance between shape and pressure. So no, a BWM would be a bad idea because it would harm the balance of the defensive shape, something very important when you only have 6 players in midfield and defence combined (and in fm it's very hard to get attacking midfielders to track back, almost impossible)
As for a DLP, he already is a Support in all but name; I keep him as a defend DLP so the mentality isn't too high, he shouldn't be running beyond the attacking midfield because there are already a lot of bodies there, he's much more useful further back (you will find the opposition will make a lot of half clearances that the DLP and CM will pick up and recycle possession. If they were too far forward, the opposition could have a break on.)

Regarding pitch size, I don't know. I'm not allowed to alter my pitch size at current stadium. Larger would theoretically carry more goal threat.

This tactic seemed promising but I couldn't get it to deliver. I got lots of possession, equal in shots to the opponents, but often losing / drawing. Ended up getting the sack from Spurs (albeit in 2029) using this tactic. Inconsistent but promising. Highly frustrating as I don't think it would have taken a lot of tweaking to be a good tactic.

Still struggling since 13.3.3 came in.

Regarding pitch size, I don't know. I'm not allowed to alter my pitch size at current stadium. Larger would theoretically carry more goal threat.[/QUOTE]

By this do you mean I would more score or concede more?

I've been using this forum for weeks without posting trying out most of the tactics on the first two pages. I'm only commenting because I'm surprised this tactic has got so little interest compared to the others.

Firstly I started a new game with Man Utd - I got the best results I've ever had on any version of FM/CM. I won the league with 36 wins and 2 defeats, I scored 94 league goals and conceded 18, I won the league cup beating liverpool 5-0 in the final and I won the champions league beating Chelsea 3-1 in the final. The only blip came in the fa cup where i lost 3-1 to nottingham forest in the 3rd round but this was down to a number of factors (Jones sent off after twenty minutes, played all my fringe players and switched to attacking shouts as soon as i conceded, i think if i had been patient or gone to pass and move i would have won). I didn't sign a single player and my best result was an 8-0 drubbing of Aston Villa.

I loved the shape of the team, the two holding midfield players are so solid, the attacking midfielders were superb (valencia got 23 goals from RW, Rooney 21 from AM, for some reason my LW was not as consistent but i did rotate that position a lot) and the striker scores loads, Van Persie was headed for 40+ before he got injured.

I also played as the england manager on this save I beat spain 2-1 in a friendly and thrashed everyone else.

That was really just a tester season so then i started my real save managing Hemel Hempstead in the southern premier - i'd had some success with Hemel using Arrigo sacchis tactic in a previous save and to be honest if I had tested this tactic with Hemel first I probably would not have stuck with it very long. In my first 6 games i got 5 draws and a defeat, but the team were playing well and my wingers were dazzling, i signed half a dozen players and up until february we went on a decent run, winning 3 or 4 on the bounce then losing 1. but thanks to 12 wins and 2 draws in the last 14 we won the league.

This is going to be my tactic going forward now, i think it is the best there is because if you use the shouts as suggested then you have a way of beating every type of opponent.

I always start normal go to counter if I'm winning my 2, or if winning by 1 and I'm the underdog. If i haven't scored by 40 minutes i go to pass and move, if I'm not winning at 70 minutes I go to attack. I've only use possession play and defending a few times but it really helped in the early games of the tactic when i had to grind out results.

I think that's the trick with this fm from what i've seen when tactics are fluid, you have the right players and morale is high you can sit back and clean up but when you're in a bad ran you really have to be proactive. The shouts with this tactic give you a way to do that.

I spend lot of time trying to relax and encourage my players with team talks until we started winning all the time then started being more demanding and assertive.

I also had 2 back up tactics one was arrigo sacchis and one was a 433 i built. I only used them when injury's to my squad meant that formation made more sense (that maybe happened 2 or 3 times) and in the odd game where i was drawing and not creating much just to try something different and this probably resulted in me winning the odd game that would have been a draw but neither of those tactics were consistent or as enjoyable is this one and so it's my base tactic now and i sign players for this one.

Well done I really encourage all to try.

This tactic seemed promising but I couldn't get it to deliver. I got lots of possession, equal in shots to the opponents, but often losing / drawing. Ended up getting the sack from Spurs (albeit in 2029) using this tactic. Inconsistent but promising. Highly frustrating as I don't think it would have taken a lot of tweaking to be a good tactic.

Still struggling since 13.3.3 came in.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, these things do happen. I'm surprised that you bossed possession because that isn't really an area I was too concerned with and hadn't noticed in my games.

By this do you mean I would more score or concede more?

Both, width can be a double edged sword. :)

I've been using this forum for weeks without posting trying out most of the tactics on the first two pages. I'm only commenting because I'm surprised this tactic has got so little interest compared to the others.

Firstly I started a new game with Man Utd - I got the best results I've ever had on any version of FM/CM. I won the league with 36 wins and 2 defeats, I scored 94 league goals and conceded 18, I won the league cup beating liverpool 5-0 in the final and I won the champions league beating Chelsea 3-1 in the final. The only blip came in the fa cup where i lost 3-1 to nottingham forest in the 3rd round but this was down to a number of factors (Jones sent off after twenty minutes, played all my fringe players and switched to attacking shouts as soon as i conceded, i think if i had been patient or gone to pass and move i would have won). I didn't sign a single player and my best result was an 8-0 drubbing of Aston Villa.

I loved the shape of the team, the two holding midfield players are so solid, the attacking midfielders were superb (valencia got 23 goals from RW, Rooney 21 from AM, for some reason my LW was not as consistent but i did rotate that position a lot) and the striker scores loads, Van Persie was headed for 40+ before he got injured.

I also played as the england manager on this save I beat spain 2-1 in a friendly and thrashed everyone else.

That was really just a tester season so then i started my real save managing Hemel Hempstead in the southern premier - i'd had some success with Hemel using Arrigo sacchis tactic in a previous save and to be honest if I had tested this tactic with Hemel first I probably would not have stuck with it very long. In my first 6 games i got 5 draws and a defeat, but the team were playing well and my wingers were dazzling, i signed half a dozen players and up until february we went on a decent run, winning 3 or 4 on the bounce then losing 1. but thanks to 12 wins and 2 draws in the last 14 we won the league.

This is going to be my tactic going forward now, i think it is the best there is because if you use the shouts as suggested then you have a way of beating every type of opponent.

I always start normal go to counter if I'm winning my 2, or if winning by 1 and I'm the underdog. If i haven't scored by 40 minutes i go to pass and move, if I'm not winning at 70 minutes I go to attack. I've only use possession play and defending a few times but it really helped in the early games of the tactic when i had to grind out results.

I think that's the trick with this fm from what i've seen when tactics are fluid, you have the right players and morale is high you can sit back and clean up but when you're in a bad ran you really have to be proactive. The shouts with this tactic give you a way to do that.

I spend lot of time trying to relax and encourage my players with team talks until we started winning all the time then started being more demanding and assertive.

I also had 2 back up tactics one was arrigo sacchis and one was a 433 i built. I only used them when injury's to my squad meant that formation made more sense (that maybe happened 2 or 3 times) and in the odd game where i was drawing and not creating much just to try something different and this probably resulted in me winning the odd game that would have been a draw but neither of those tactics were consistent or as enjoyable is this one and so it's my base tactic now and i sign players for this one.

Well done I really encourage all to try.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback :)

I am very interested to hear you also had some qualms regarding the left midfield role; I too shared this observation, but I put it down to my left midfielder not being as quite of high a quality as my other midfielders. This still could be true of course, but I will look into it and see if I can see why that might be. Time allowing... I don't quite have the free time to play FM like I used to.

You are right about the advantages and disadvantages of a Fluid style. When things are good, they're great. But throw in a few new players, new tactics, bad runs etc.. And things can go pear-shaped quick. I myself am using this with Lazio and Fenerbahce now, but it's taking a while to bed.

Thanks again for your comments, let me know if you make any tweaks that benefit you going forward.

The pitch size is at largest possible and it's working wonders for me because I put it at all out attack at the beginning of the game and then usually switch to possession once I'm up some goals. As for AML, he contributes the most assists. He is also higher rated than my AMR so that is a factor.

I have some questions about things that suprise me (and that I don't understand at all) :
* one of the favored pm's for the centrebacks is "marks opponents tightly" but in the player instructions the cb marks zonal and NO tight marking?!?
* also in the shouts there is used to play the ball on the flanks but in the team instructions the ball distribution is set on Mixed, so the shout won't work...

The pitch size is at largest possible and it's working wonders for me because I put it at all out attack at the beginning of the game and then usually switch to possession once I'm up some goals. As for AML, he contributes the most assists. He is also higher rated than my AMR so that is a factor.

True, my AML got a healthy amount of assists.

Hmmm could be the pitch size then? Seems using the AML as an IF has no immediate change but early days yet will continue testing.

Something I wish I could check, no idea why I don't have any control over my pitch size. Do you change the players wide instructions to "Cut Inside" manually when switching the role to IF? Because you'll need to see the difference between an IF and a winger (sorry if that's an obvious question)

I have some questions about things that suprise me (and that I don't understand at all) :
* one of the favored pm's for the centrebacks is "marks opponents tightly" but in the player instructions the cb marks zonal and NO tight marking?!?
* also in the shouts there is used to play the ball on the flanks but in the team instructions the ball distribution is set on Mixed, so the shout won't work...

In my experience, there is a difference in the way players execute their PPM's and the way they execute their instructions.

The shouts, however, are probably oversights on my part.

Please could you post a screenshot of the results.
Thanks

I have had success in testing while playing as Eastwood town using this tactic, but dropping the two CM's to DM's and using Counter.

Testing your Tactic but got creamiepie badly, i stop testing it after the 1st few league matches.
it was doing fine during the pre season match when i arrange friendly with bigger reputation team.

But somehow during the match, everything goes wrong
I start with Hyde though which does not have any fund for player Transfer during season 1.
tried recruiting "so call good player" thus always in "RED" for club finiancial. hahaha

But it was a interesting Philosophy Tactic!(A)

Thats a shame but the tactic does require the correct player type. All this is detailed in the opening post playing as Hyde i would set your maximum stat rating between 6-8 this should allow you enough width to find the right players for that league. No tactic works in a few games you must become fluid with the tactic and the settings.

No worries!
will try again once i done testing other Tactic.
must be BRAVE enough in Brave New World:D

Please could you post a screenshot of the results with Eastwood Town.
Thanks