1-3-3-3 Total Taka! CCC's - 55-70% possession.

iota4u

Reaction score
(if a mod can move this thread to the main tactic sharing sub-section, i would be most appreciative, thanks)

Right, hello all again, you beautiful people.

I have been working on a tactic, finally, here is the first version:

1-3-3-3 Total Taka

View attachment 437567

View attachment 438103View attachment 438102View attachment 438101

^^ Most i have ever beaten PSG this year without conceding, most chuffed!

View attachment 438100View attachment 438099View attachment 438098

^^ one goal conceded was a monster long high through ball from their RB to their striker, word class and from Gangwon too of all clubs aha.

Idea behind the tactic:

This tactic, 1-3-3-3 is considered, in the real world (yes, out the window, you see it? :p ), to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing tactics in the beautiful game. But one of the original 1-3-3-3 tactic was named "Catenaccio" i.e "Door Bolt" to us non-italian speakers which was a tactic "back in the day", before many of us were born, that dominated Serie A. It wasn't overly pretty, it was the bare bones version of football, solid defence and for many years, unbreakable defence and many games were won 1-0.

Until, of course, another formation and philosophy came to life, from Holland, yes you guessed it, Total Football. Now, Total Football has been labelled on a few teams when it shouldn't ought to have been, a lot of people make this mistake, but q story for another time! Basically, in Total Football, every player (besides the keeper, well, depends how confident he is) contributes to every phase of the game, roles are swapped on the fly, so strikers become defenders, defenders become strikers, this philosophy also utilised a new theorem... Zonal marking (used by almost every team now).

This new way of marking combined with the role swapping approach of Total Football absolutely demolished teams who used the Catenaccio. Then of course, Total Football evolved into modern day Tika Taka, now they aren't overly the same, TF is a pro-active attacking game, little time for opponent to breath, TT is a slow tempo (for the most part) possession based tactic, but you can see where the TF approach was implemented into TT.

So, if i haven't bored you to death already, what i am currently working on is the Catenaccio 1-3-3-3 that was adopted by the Total Football gang, combined with the passing aesthetics of the Tiki Taka. So far, in my endeavours, it has gone well (i have done other tests, sort of going back and fourth on saves for some reason). Although swapping roles and positions you can't do 100%, or at least to my knowledge, unless i missed something, but for the most part my players run all over the place with decent covering, the passing is short, very much one touch pass and move but with the likely hood of a long long long through ball and runs, a sort of a mix, if you will.

Anyway, i hope it all goes well, i'll keep this thread updated.

NB: might be hit and miss with smaller teams, due to the very nature of the tactic, but i'll test it and let you know nonetheless.

Update

Thought i would put up a pic of the tactic, no shouts or anything, just in case some one plagiarises :p Also, a video of the first 7 games played as Barcelona, why barcelona? because it is a style they love. Will test it with other clubs at some point.

[video=youtube_share;3cSAmA_EWvM]http://youtu.be/3cSAmA_EWvM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;hjVrbwb2NSc]http://youtu.be/hjVrbwb2NSc[/video]

^^ you can see some fine displays of the triangle passing manoeuvres

[video=youtube;fDwwXbe8g4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwwXbe8g4A[/video]

Some more screenies of stats:

View attachment 437639View attachment 437638View attachment 437637View attachment 437636

A screenie from WunderBaum

View attachment 437306

Assist table and fixture list:

View attachment 437633

View attachment 437632

The game will tell you it's a 4-6-0 tactic, but it is not, i just don't think it can fathom the sweeper position as it is rarely used in modern football.

Training

Team

General training, to start with, you will want to get your players fitness up, obviously, then simply focus your attention on tactics on high/very high until fluid. A way to make the tactic fluid with in a couple of weeks is to load the tactic up in all three tactic slots. Then when it comes to just before the season starts, you want to put the training on "Balanced" with high focus, for the match prep, i always used attacking. For season training, stick with Balanced and rotate between medium/heavy dependant on how busy your schedule is, medium for a more congested fixture list and heavy training for a lighter fixture listing. I kept the boxes ticked for rests before and after matches, as you want your players in the best condition possible. Also, put the match prep to 50-60% time spent on match prep.

Individual

Pretty simple really, assign your players to their roles in the tactic section and then give them that role specific training, for example: Inside forward - assign him to the inside forward schedule. But what i do, my own little preference and oddity, is all the CM players (not AMC, just CM, especially for this formation) i set their training to Box to Box as it covers the most areas for your midfielder training wise.

There seems to be a lack of sweepers this year, or maybe i am blind, luckily, Barcelona have a world class sweeper at their disposal, but most clubs aren't so lucky, so either hunt one down and sign him, or assign your fastest CB for new position training in the sweeper role and pray to the football gods everything goes well until he is comfy in that position.

Note: If you buy a few players, make sure you set the training team schedule to Team Cohesion for a while, otherwise it -will- effect the team and ultimately potentially cause upset. You want your team to work as one, so get them training to!

Suggested Attributes to Take into Consideration

- Creativity
- Decisions
- Flair
- Passing
- Team work
- Work Rate
- Concentration
- Composure
- Stamina

A must have for your Sweeper, Fullbacks, Winger, Inside Forward:

- Pace

For your Goal Keeper always bear in mind that if they have a high Eccentricity stat, they must also have a high Rushing Out, One on One and Decisions stats too, otherwise you may fall victim to the silliness that occurs with silly goals.

Things to take into account

- This is not an "i win" tactic, you will lose the odd match purely because the AI will never let you win every game.

- Some teams prefer attacking/route one football, so if you use this tactic with said teams, it will take longer for them to accept it, as in, players feeling uncomfortable.

- Make sure you get players with the above attributes in mind, otherwise their positioning and poor passing or vision with lead to painful counter attacks.

- Get the best CB you can! tackling, decisions, concentration are a must.

- would be wise to get spare players for the FB, IF and winger role, to keep the play fresh and the players fresh, too.

- If you can, sign Ronaldinho for the AP position.

- Due to the nature of this tactic, lower league or poorer teams might struggle due to the Total Football/Tiki Taka approach.

- I won a lot of free kicks, you will frustrate your opponents, so make sure you have a decent Free Kick Taker.

- Make sure your Box to Box midfielders have decent stamina and long shots if possible, but stamina primarily as they will be tracking the most amount of ground.

- If you are feeling more daring, you can make the sweeper a Libero to give extra strength in mid field during attacks. Or alternatively, if you are feeling more cautious, especially for the lower teams, make the sweeper a CB and make one a BPD and the other CD with one on stopper, the other on cover duties.

- You can change the AP role to Treq. or Enganche if you so wish, i just felt more comfortable with the AP role as he seemed to be more productive in setting up attacks and being on the end of them as well. I would avoid the Shadow Striker role, for me, it just didn't work.

- PPM's and what to look for and/or teach. Basically, you want to look for or teach the "plays short simple passes" "Plays One-Two's" "Tries killer balls often" "Prefers to pass than shoot" and another one to attain is "places shots" although your box to box midfielders will also perform with the "shoots from distance" and "shoots with power" PPM's as sometimes the AP will lay the lay to an on rushing B2B player who just belts the ball from outside of the area.

I hope you enjoy my work and if you have any enquires, i will try to assist. The tactic does work, but you have research and best pick players for the roles, do not throw any old player into it with out taking their stats and preferred play style into consideration.

Download Link >
Total Taka < Download Link

i went to the liberty of creating a filter list aswell, for players who would possibly do well in in this tactic or any possession based tactic, i tried to make it so there are a lot of options, so lower teams have a chance too. Just simply place it in your filter folder in your documents folder of FM:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/802hfj8gq1d5qo3/Tiki+Taka+Filter+-+Possible+Players.pft

Second Alternative Version utilising a Striker instead of AMC

After the success "LukeGame" had with his Juventus team and to those who have a decent striker and wish to use him, i edited the original tactic to move the advanced playmaker from the AMC position and made the role into "Complete Forward".

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8ds3tspulay726z/Total+Taka+-+Striker.tac

Last edited:
Mate, when you use very fluid strategy, everyone swaps positions. Let me see if I got this. You are trying to emulate TF using Catenaccio's formation?

Hello iota,

Can you give a screen tactic ? Is the link waiting for validation ? Has This tactic been done for the new patch ?

Thanks for your job

Mate, when you use very fluid strategy, everyone swaps positions. Let me see if I got this. You are trying to emulate TF using Catenaccio's formation?

Righto, thought so. and yes, it's actually an old dutch tactic as well.

will be up soon, just need to do tweak a few things

Looking forward to this. It's on 14.2 I reckon?

Looking forward to this. It's on 14.2 I reckon?

Started off on 14.2, it worked, then tried it on 14.2.1, still works. They haven't overly touched the ME in the latest hotfix.

Currently doing a video of goals with my Barcelona save which i'll upload to youtube and put here., loads of goals, only one or two goals conceded in bout 6-8 games, not too shabby.

Edit: just checked - 7 games played, 31 goals scored, 1 conceded.

Last edited:
When will this be uploaded? Can you at least post tactic screen?

When will this be uploaded? Can you at least post tactic screen?

will do, just waiting for this video to render, i'll post the tactic screen when the video is done.

Ok cheers. Really looking forward to this.

First post edited with a video of a fair few games and goal goal goals! Also added the tactic picture.