1109 Passes In One Game With Barcelona And 93% Possession

Tobe

Reaction score

1109 Passes In One Game With Barcelona And 93% Possession

[h=1]3-4-3 Possession By Tacktzz With A Few Variations[/h]View attachment 259692View attachment 259693

Firstly I do not want to take credit for someone else's work so a huge shout out to Tacktzz for this phenomonal tactic which has given me the chance to see games out through sheer dominance of possession. The screenshots above shows that AA Gent had 7% possessioj throughout the whole game. Crazy! The only thing I have adapted is that my fullbacks sit and hold, my left and right attacking midfielders use throughballs and that the centre defender acts as a limited defender. Xavi's role hasn't changed and he is the machine behind this tactic. Likewise great shoutout to Tacktzz as this is all his work I have just adapted it. There is a link below to his fantastic explanation and story as to how he made it... Great Read!!

http://fmtacticalnewspaper.fmcrowd.com/3-4-3-possession-discussion-1/

I know, It's not a negative tactic as you have the possession just outside their area, just not fluid in it yet.

I’ve called it ‘Possession Break’ because it forced the analysis section within FM to give me inaccurate passing totals when Bastian passed over 256 passes against lesser teams.Remember that you’re receiving the base tactic (my very first ideas) with the only purpose of obtain high passing numbers through my playmaker. You will need to tweak it to bring it to the level that you desire. Unfortunately (or fortunately from my point of view) I’m moving house shortly and things have been quite hectic, therefore I don’t have the time to constantly tweak the tactic before an absolute final release. Therefore I’ll leave that to you![h=5]THE CENTRAL DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER SHOULD BE SET AS YOUR PLAYMAKER[/h]

5 key passes? out of 1009 u having a laugh?

But 93% possession, it's all about keeping the ball and using it. As I said not fluid yet.

Not having a go mate, just found it funny.. looks ace from the outset, might try it uot and see how i get one with one of my other games.. maybe Santos.

Barcelona dont even pass the ball this much lol.. Still i think this is more of a See it off type of tactic not a Barcelona Hihg Key passing type tactic. Good work tho.

OK, as soon as this hit pretty much full match prep i gave it a go.. and heres the result only made 2 signings for Santos and one of them is a GK. Michel Bastos at LB is the other... Only 633 passes ish, but far more Key passes..

83% posses.
20 shots - 8 ot
1 ccc. 7 half.
95% pass comp.

View attachment 259702

I'm hoping a few more goals than that when i buy a new striker.. but as for passes, gorgeous.. some lovely stuff.. i take back my original comment.. awesome.

Last edited:
Sorry to be critical.

I don't understand these tactics, well done on getting that much possession and making that many passes however if it doesn't lead to key passes, clear cut chances and eventually goals then what's the whole point.

At the end of the day this is a game (both football irl and football manager alike), and you win the game by scoring goals, you can't even claim that barcelona do this because at the end of the day they still need to score goals to win, and they score alot of them 3/4/5 for most of their games!

They aren't the best team in the world because they have been passing the f**k out of all the other teams and as a result drawing games, they score GOALS to WIN games, that's what makes them the best, passing is only the style of game they use as a their medium to win a game.

To summarise: Passes don't win games, Goals do win games. Stylistic and technical passing combined with goals = Barcelona

(Side note: Stylistic and technical passing and no goals = Arsenal + Most "Barcelona"/"Tiki Taka" tactics on this fourm)

Nothing personal to the OP, just stating an opinion and this is a barca thread.

Last edited:
I've been getting 3-4 goals a game with this already.. despite him saying it still in beta phase really and not really fluid yet.

Gonna use this as a backup tactic. Have played maybe 25+ seasons on FM12 and still have unlocked the 10 clean sheets in a row Steam Achievement. Hopefully using this when I'm 2 or 3 nil up can get me this.

Gonna use this as a backup tactic. Have played maybe 25+ seasons on FM12 and still have unlocked the 10 clean sheets in a row Steam Achievement. Hopefully using this when I'm 2 or 3 nil up can get me this.
Lol. So was 4-0 up and switched to this for last 30minutes. M'Vila had 27 passes/25 completed before the switch. 30 minutes later he had 132 passes/127 completed! We won 6-0 in the end. Fantastic stuff.

Also as well as setting your central DM as playmaker (M'Vila in my case), select him at targetman as well. Should increase the amount of passes he receives

Sorry to be critical.

I don't understand these tactics, well done on getting that much possession and making that many passes however if it doesn't lead to key passes, clear cut chances and eventually goals then what's the whole point.

At the end of the day this is a game (both football irl and football manager alike), and you win the game by scoring goals, you can't even claim that barcelona do this because at the end of the day they still need to score goals to win, and they score alot of them 3/4/5 for most of their games!

They aren't the best team in the world because they have been passing the f**k out of all the other teams and as a result drawing games, they score GOALS to WIN games, that's what makes them the best, passing is only the style of game they use as a their medium to win a game.

To summarise: Passes don't win games, Goals do win games. Stylistic and technical passing combined with goals = Barcelona

(Side note: Stylistic and technical passing and no goals = Arsenal + Most "Barcelona"/"Tiki Taka" tactics on this fourm)

Nothing personal to the OP, just stating an opinion and this is a barca thread.

Whilst I agree with you about the need to create chances within the game and don't really try to create possession tactics myself I think you could very easily make the counter argument that with 80-90% posession only getting a goal or 2 is probably going to be enough purely because the opponent just doesn't have the ball to create clear cut chances and worry you defensively.

Also getting high passing stats is a challenge a lot of people enjoy taking on. :)

Whilst I agree with you about the need to create chances within the game and don't really try to create possession tactics myself I think you could very easily make the counter argument that with 80-90% posession only getting a goal or 2 is probably going to be enough purely because the opponent just doesn't have the ball to create clear cut chances and worry you defensively.

Also getting high passing stats is a challenge a lot of people enjoy taking on. :)

We are saying the same thing here!

Barcelona have around 55-65% possession most games, but the goals they score don't come from long shots or corners or freekicks, many of them come from 1on1 clear cut chances, typically from a through ball from xavi, iniesta or messi.

Therefore if your tactic averages 80% possession, makes no cccs and scores 1 or 2 long shots to win then technically you haven't made a barcelona tactic at all. At the same time, if you have a tactic that keeps 80% possession and creates only 1ccc a game that still isn't barcelona. (Im not claiming your tactic does this btw im just making a point)

The key phrase is CCC!

We are saying the same thing here!

Barcelona have around 55-65% possession most games, but the goals they score don't come from long shots or corners or freekicks, many of them come from 1on1 clear cut chances, typically from a through ball from xavi, iniesta or messi.

Therefore if your tactic averages 80% possession, makes no cccs and scores 1 or 2 long shots to win then technically you haven't made a barcelona tactic at all. At the same time, if you have a tactic that keeps 80% possession and creates only 1ccc a game that still isn't barcelona. (Im not claiming your tactic does this btw im just making a point)

The key phrase is CCC!

To be fair to this tactic, it seems to strike a decent balance between possession and chances.

Arguably you could say that Barcelona's style under Guardiola (in his final year as manager) did change from massive amount of control and chances to have complete control of the ball but take less risks (although as I have said I think this tactic is balanced well between possession and chances, especially for bigger teams).

Also I would say that much like real life this tactic is designed to create 1 on 1's but if the opponents defend deep you will obviously have less space in behind to create those chances therefore leading to long shots, which Barcelona have won matches with before (for example Iniesta's strike against Chelsea and 2 of the goals they scored against my team, Utd in a CL final) however I wouldn't say this tactic suffers from that.

To be fair to this tactic, it seems to strike a decent balance between possession and chances.

Arguably you could say that Barcelona's style under Guardiola (in his final year as manager) did change from massive amount of control and chances to have complete control of the ball but take less risks (although as I have said I think this tactic is balanced well between possession and chances, especially for bigger teams).

Also I would say that much like real life this tactic is designed to create 1 on 1's but if the opponents defend deep you will obviously have less space in behind to create those chances therefore leading to long shots, which Barcelona have won matches with before (for example Iniesta's strike against Chelsea and 2 of the goals they scored against my team, Utd in a CL final) however I wouldn't say this tactic suffers from that.

Barcelona haven't changed strategy at all. However, the way teams line up against them has changed, as you have so rightly pointed out in your second paragraph.

The only thing Barcelona has changed in recent times is their formation, from a straight forward 433 ( 41212/460 whatever you want to call it) to a 3-4-3 (3-1-3-3/2-2-3-3) in order to accommodate the arrival of Fabregas, which now gives Alves more of a free role to sit as a cb or act as wing back, while fabregas now slot into an upfront position of acts as one of the 3 mcs replacing Abidal who has rarely played.

Anyway, this isnt a barcelona discussion thread, so ill let you get back to discussing your tactic. I apologise for any offence if caused, it was just an issue i felt I had to address.