looks like I'll have to download a fan-made data update. Looked at the two clubs I wanted to manage after the update. Both had one big transfer in and it was missed on both. And not exactly tiny clubs in tiny leagues. Holland the Russia, respectively. I already complained on the SI site and was told to report it and that I should just update myself. Awesome.

Ahhh that was you :)

Check with Pr0s update in the edited thread, he usually updates and will take requests as well.. i recommend his work :)

If you don't want to break a sweat with playing FM, then don't complain about stuff that can be prevented if you're willing to put effort into it. And don't complain even more if you get critique on something you're complaining about if you can't handle it.

Yes, it's good for the user as well, but if you don't like to use it, you just use a different style of play. Easy as that.

Also, if conceding isn't the problem then what is? If you don't concede out of crosses, then you can't lose the game because of crosses? Then what are we complaining about? How much the opponent's crosses? How many crosses our defenders need to clear each game? If conceding out of crosses isn't the cause of complaining about them, then we're basically complaining out of nothing, because then nothing happens except that they're being shot everywhere except in the goal or that our defenders constantly need to clear them.

I can handle it don't worry about that but don't try and make out like your way is the only right way to play. Crosses are broken it doesn't matter what way you put it. Tell me crosses aren't broken when the league's best ratings are full of full backs and you have Juanfran beating Messi and Ronaldo to player of the year it's actually hilarious. This season I just finished my left and right back got 25 assists each it's laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh that was you :)

Check with Pr0s update in the edited thread, he usually updates and will take requests as well.. i recommend his work :)

Yeah, its not a huge thing but it annoyed me this morning. Literally sucked away all the enthusiasm I typically have for a new update. I'm pretty much an SI fanboy (although I try to stay level) but that didn't insulate this.

I've tried Pr0s before but don't remember if his is one that's based off the initial data and then updated through the season. That's understandable but its not what I prefer, because all the other aspects of the update - the youth who have been tweaked and gotten higher potential - are missed.

I had been using the sortitoutsi one but I noticed a few transfers that were input based on rumor and then never happened, but there was no easy way to take that particularly edit out.

I'm sure I can find out that suits and fits what I want, but just have to look around a bit. Thanks.

I can handle it don't worry about that but don't try and make out like your way is the only right way to play. Crosses are broken it doesn't matter what way you put it. Tell me crosses aren't broken when the league's best ratings are full of full backs and you have Juanfran beating Messi and Ronaldo to player of the year it's actually hilarious. This season I just finished my left and right back got 25 assists each it's laughable.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it seems you can't handle it. All you talk about and ecah argument you can give is "CROSSES ARE OVERPOWERED! OH MY GOD! BURN IT! MY BACKS HAVE 25+ ASSISTS! NOW CROSSES ARE OVERPOWERED!"

Ever thought about it that it can be because of your style of play?

So just because in your save Juanfran ended above Messi and Ronaldo in terms of winning player of the year, crosses suddenly are overpowered? Don't tell me that my way of playing is the only right way while you're basing your statement and the only argument you can give is based on something in your save.

And I'm not telling you crosses are broken. Because they're not. You just refuse to try to prevent them, but choose to complain about them here and accuse those who give critique on them as 'making it out like their way is the only right way' and 'but Juanfran beat Messi and Ronaldo to player of the year on my save'.

UNless you bring other arguements to the table, I'm not even going to continue arguing with you because it's just a big waste of my time. You'll continue to ***** about "CROSSES ARE OP AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT IT BECAUSE I'M RIGHT!" so it's not like your going to change your opinion anyway.

Have a nice day.

Neil Brock - SI - in the crosses argument thread.

Okay, as you’re aware the staff here at SI read the forums so clearly we’re aware that some users are experiencing some issues with the way that crosses are defended. From the numbers we’ve had feeding back to us this only seems to affect a relatively small number players and largely depends on those player's tactics. Saying that, we did take a long, hard look at it and ultimately decided that given potential knock-ons and the major impact it would have had on user’s tactics that it wasn’t something we could tweak without unbalancing the match engine and worsening the user’s playing experience.

As anyone who’s played FM for a while knows, we’re constantly striving to make the match engine a 100 per cent perfect simulation of real football. While we’re still some way away from achieving this goal, we do feel that we’re getting closer and closer and this progress is helped enormously by the constructive feedback that we get here on the forums. We’re happy with the match engine which is included in version 16.3.0 and we’ve only been able to get up to this point thanks to everyone who has been involved in the game’s development, be it SI staff members, beta testers or those of you posting here on the forums.

Having spoken at length about this with the match team, there is some good news to report in that the work the team have done in trying to address this issue long-term has led to some other major improvements which, once they’re fully implemented, will make any future versions of the match engine better for everyone.

All I would add to that is that you should give the new update a thorough play-through and let us know what you think when you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces. That's what this thread is here for.

Many thanks.

To me it seems you can't handle it. All you talk about and ecah argument you can give is "CROSSES ARE OVERPOWERED! OH MY GOD! BURN IT! MY BACKS HAVE 25+ ASSISTS! NOW CROSSES ARE OVERPOWERED!"

Ever thought about it that it can be because of your style of play?

So just because in your save Juanfran ended above Messi and Ronaldo in terms of winning player of the year, crosses suddenly are overpowered? Don't tell me that my way of playing is the only right way while you're basing your statement and the only argument you can give is based on something in your save.

And I'm not telling you crosses are broken. Because they're not. You just refuse to try to prevent them, but choose to complain about them here and accuse those who give critique on them as 'making it out like their way is the only right way' and 'but Juanfran beat Messi and Ronaldo to player of the year on my save'.

UNless you bring other arguements to the table, I'm not even going to continue arguing with you because it's just a big waste of my time. You'll continue to ***** about "CROSSES ARE OP AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT IT BECAUSE I'M RIGHT!" so it's not like your going to change your opinion anyway.

Have a nice day.

As someone who had a successful Leeds save that ended up with a 39 match unbeaten streak (across all comps) with less than 20 goals conceded through the season - crosses are stupidly strong. I will show you a link of a previous screenshot since I don't have access to the current save (it was an online game); note that this was a month or two back when the screenshots were taken and I can't post the link properly
imgur,com/z215s6n
imgur,com/dNkoLVU
Look at the top 3 average ratings for that season so far - all of them are right backs. Whilst none of those 3 were in the top for assists at that time (Janmaat is a right back at #2) all of them are doing exceedingly well; especially for teams not clearly outright winning. I don't have a cleaner screenshot of the breakdown of goals scored but you can clearly see I have been able to use crosses well (judging from cross % and goals scored/winning matches) whilst also having a very solid defence. I believe my defence was Rajkovic (GK), Charlie Taylor - Niklas Sule - Eric Dier - Sam Byram. It's not just a 'style of play' I am playing a 4-5-1, yes there will be crosses and wing play of course but the potential power of fullback not just from MY team; but from other teams fullbacks (notable - Bellerin, Clyne, Janmaat) is astoundingly unrealistic. And I can assure you, almost all of the goals I conceded were from crosses - especially in the earlier seasons prior. You are delusional if you can't see the evidence - completely discounting anything I wrote - that is readily available to you and has been for months now. Put your fullback on Wingback (a) and your winger as a Winger (a) role. Their crossing is irrelevant at that point; it's purely dependent on their tactical role which is just an exploit in the match engine; hence something that should have been changed

Last edited:
So you set a fullback to WB/A and the winger to W/A. On the same side? 1 or both flanks?

Bit confused really to how SI can admit to having an ME that clearly isn't perfect and needs work !! FM15s ME Was pretty good so why not just build on from that one !! As 15s is clearly better than 16s

Bit confused really to how SI can admit to having an ME that clearly isn't perfect and needs work !! FM15s ME Was pretty good so why not just build on from that one !! As 15s is clearly better than 16s
No ME has ever been perfect. FM15's had no counter attacking game at all, to highlight one big issue. FWIW, they did build from it though. They do that every year.

Crosses are broken for people that do nothing to stop it. By default it will be really easy for the opposition to score a header unless you spend time instructing players to mark the player. If im telling my wing backs to mark there wingers and andy carroll is up against 2 defenders, would he win that header in real life? most likely yes...get the point?

Now conceding them isnt the problem here, We all know the ME sucks *** and i know that defenders hardly put in any effort the chase the man or even mark him properly. A player can whip in a cross and it will go between both defenders and the attacker gets the ball at his feet. This happens far to often.

FM's ME is god awful but apart from that, everything is perfect in my opinion. Even fifas AI vs AI is more realistic than fms match engine. Were just gonna have to deal with it, and even simple casuals will have to come out of there comfort zone to go super in-depth in to tweaking tactics. Majority of fm fans just like to plug and play and most people dont want to do hardcore stuff like look at pass completion and cross rates. Some people like to spend 60 mins preparing for a match and watch it in full and some people with spam the continue button like no tomorrow...Get it?

Crosses are broken for people that do nothing to stop it. By default it will be really easy for the opposition to score a header unless you spend time instructing players to mark the player. If im telling my wing backs to mark there wingers and andy carroll is up against 2 defenders, would he win that header in real life? most likely yes...get the point?

Now conceding them isnt the problem here, We all know the ME sucks *** and i know that defenders hardly put in any effort the chase the man or even mark him properly. A player can whip in a cross and it will go between both defenders and the attacker gets the ball at his feet. This happens far to often.

FM's ME is god awful but apart from that, everything is perfect in my opinion. Even fifas AI vs AI is more realistic than fms match engine. Were just gonna have to deal with it, and even simple casuals will have to come out of there comfort zone to go super in-depth in to tweaking tactics. Majority of fm fans just like to plug and play and most people dont want to do hardcore stuff like look at pass completion and cross rates. Some people like to spend 60 mins preparing for a match and watch it in full and some people with spam the continue button like no tomorrow...Get it?

Plot twist what if the 2 centre backs are better in the air than Carroll? You say headers are easily scored if you don't instruct your defenders to mark the player but you then proceed to say even if you do that they will still probably score because the match engine is bad? What's the point of looking at cross rates if as you say the match engine is awful and your defenders act like clowns?

First match, I am Watford :)

jYFpOfJ.jpg

Plot twist what if the 2 centre backs are better in the air than Carroll? You say headers are easily scored if you don't instruct your defenders to mark the player but you then proceed to say even if you do that they will still probably score because the match engine is bad? What's the point of looking at cross rates if as you say the match engine is awful and your defenders act like clowns?

Exactly, whats the point of doing all this in-depth management when the game will **** you over with more bullshit ME stuff?
Whats the point of thinking "I think il start a new save and go all in-depth" and then no matter what you do the game will screw you over?

A player can simply cross the ball low and none of the six men in the box can clear it and it magically falls to the feet of the striker even though you have a world class defence but suddenly they forgot how to kick a ball???

Sounds like a lot of people are bad at FM.I haven't had an issue with crosses since they fixed FB's in the first patch. It's not that difficult to tweak and prevent. I concede more goals to dumb passive back passes to the keeper than headed crosses.

Still no ******* beards on manager creation gunna tweet miles I expect some ************* salt coming my way

Exactly, whats the point of doing all this in-depth management when the game will **** you over with more bullshit ME stuff?
Whats the point of thinking "I think il start a new save and go all in-depth" and then no matter what you do the game will screw you over?

A player can simply cross the ball low and none of the six men in the box can clear it and it magically falls to the feet of the striker even though you have a world class defence but suddenly they forgot how to kick a ball???

Ah right I wasn't sure if you were saying crosses are broken or not but yeah I agree it's ridiculous how your world class defenders turn into headless chickens against poor/average strikers. It's funny when people say get better tactics yet every tactic I've downloaded from here has the same problem they can't stop crosses. People will say it's your tactics but no tactics will stop your defenders from turning into clowns at the back when the crosses come in. Not even just crosses but even through balls so often the defender should easily get it but they don't react to the ball and just let the striker get it so people can't tell me that's down to the tactic.

Last edited:
Ah right I wasn't sure if you were saying crosses are broken or not but yeah I agree it's ridiculous how your world class defenders turn into headless chickens against poor/average strikers. It's funny when people say get better tactics yet every tactic I've downloaded from here has the same problem they can't stop crosses. People will say it's your tactics but no tactics will stop your defenders from turning into clowns at the back.

Clearly not a City Fan :)

:( :(

Clearly not a City Fan :)

:( :(

Kompany is their only truly world class defender and when he plays their defence is rock solid for the most part he keeps their defence together but of course he can't always make up for playing with clowns like Mangala or Demichelles. You'll probably say Otamendi but I don't really think he's a proven top defender and he looks lost without Kompany.

Kompany is their only truly world class defender and when he plays their defence is rock solid for the most part he keeps their defence together but of course he can't always make up for playing with clowns like Mangala or Demichelles. You'll probably say Otamendi but I don't really think he's a proven top defender and he looks lost without Kompany.

You dont have to tell him he is a citizen ;)