4-2-3-1 Wingers Paradise , Bringing back the lone striker(25+goals)

Mohin

Reaction score
4-2-3-1 Wingers Paradise , Bringing back the lone striker(25+goals), 14.3.1

Dominant 4-2-3-1, a Winger's paradise, i have never had wingers score and assist so much.

(If anyone is interested I have a 4-2-4 that need testing, tactic and some results here)

Use new tactics from #263, and #268 for instructions to use them. (The WP!! tactic initially on 263 was the wrong tweak, please re-download. I have attached the tac file to this OP)

FAQ: Looks like this was needed since i have been asked the same questions repeatedly
1: Required foot for Wingers-- Use right foot for AMR and left for AML as they will mostly go wide rather than cutting inside but its alright to use the other if they have a decent weak foot (required foot for the positions), they will still score a lot but will have more assists if required foot is strong.

2: Which tactic to use when-- There are 3 tactics if you download the ones from the links above. (WP!!, WP!! counter and Alt.V3) Have all 3 tactics in your tactic slots and use accordingly. WP!! is the base tactic and should be used at all times both home and away, the others are for special situations.

Use WP!! counter when your severe underdogs away or want to grind out a result against a big team (When using a much weaker team home/away). If your team can match up with the opposition the base tactic should do fine away, you can also use counter at the end of the match to preserve your lead.

Use V3 on your own observation (opposition scouting), this is tactic to counter act the long ball counter attacking style of weaker teams or teams that play direct. This should only be used against much weaker teams when you expect them to sit back and wait for counter. Sometimes I start with base tactic and switch to V3 if base tactic is ineffective against these teams.

If You have decent strong team competing for European places or the title use all 3 tactics accordingly with the situations mentioned above.
If you have an underdog or newly promoted team i would suggest sticking to just the counter tactic and maybe use WP!! at home against weaker teams in the division or if you like the shape of counter tac, change mentality to control against the weaker teams, V3 is not needed as most teams will look to attack you.

3: Should I change Mentality--
If a single goal down wait till HT for team talk (aggrsv-Unhappy) and change mentality to overload to get the goal back. Or if its 0-0 at halftime in a match u should be winning easily, do the same. If at home change back to standard after taking the lead, if away change back after equalizing (when playing against strong teams, against weaker opposition i leave it at overload till i take the lead and sometimes leave it be if i keep dominating). IF losing by 2 or more (highly unlikely) change to overload immediately. This is for both base tactic and V3.

4: The use of OI's--2 of the 3 tactics have set OIs so dont let your assistant handle them. While the Counter tac has no OIs,
There is a valid reason for this. Upon testing a lot of tactics, both mine and from this forum, i noticed that Using OIs are useful to nullify specific players in the Opposition but it comes with a price. OIs like Tight Marking or Closing down on specific players result in the team breaking its shape since for some reason it overrules other instructions.
The aim of WP! Counter is to absorb pressure and be stubborn at the back while taking its chances on the counter and maybe nick in a goal from set pieces. The players are not given the freedom to move from their positions to close down or mark specific players, thus no OIs. You should notice games with the counter tac against big teams, your team will not have a higher possession and at times not even the most shots or chances but you can still win as the team plays as a unit and never breaks its shape, somewhat like how the AI cheats us when we dominate against weak teams and lose
tongue.gif

5: Training for the new tactics--Training remains the same as before (mentioned below) for the new tactics, no changes required. And as for Individual training, I usually just train them for the roles they will play in the tactic, but Most importantly make sure they are happy/content with their training schedule. Having an unhappy player will hinder his developement.

6: Any PPMs for players-- I do not really train PPMs if i see that the players are performing in their natural state (existing PPMs or not). There are still some PPMs that i prefer the attacking players have as these result in much more goals.

For ST: Likes to Lob Keeper
For Wingers: Places shot/Likes to lob keeper
For AMC: Places shots/ Comes deep to get ball/ Plays one-twos

RESULTS WITH THE NEW VERSION
View attachment 356601View attachment 356600View attachment 356599
(This is an online game where my mate is fiorentina)
As you can See the results got better as the players developed as I have a very young team made up of mostly wonderkids.

Did not include earlier seasons as they were using the first version of this tactic. First season went decent (suffered due to injuries to key players), Second season finished 2nd where Juve had 93points and 13 conceded, won 3rd season.

The team-->
View attachment 356598

Top Performers and Recommended Players:
View attachment 356597View attachment 356596View attachment 356595View attachment 356594View attachment 356593View attachment 356592View attachment 356591

Inspiration for tactic: I have always loved the 4-2-3-1 from the days of FM08, and in FM13 i had what i would call the best tactic in my history of FM (7 UCL finals, 6 Victories, 7 league titles in 8 seasons with Arsenal), but in this FM i could no longer achieved such feats. So i was adamant to find a tactic to keep my beloved 4-2-3-1. Also from countless browsing on the site i have noticed that people seem to complain a lot about the lone striker and have even adopted striker-less formations, as big lover of the game and having played myself as a striker i could not just accept this. I always hated striker-less formations.So i wanted to bring the days of the loan striker. This is what i have come up with, i wont say its plug'n'play as i do not believe any tactic is nor that it will guarantee you success, but the quality of football and goals scored will make you love FM again.

View attachment 376286

View attachment 376285View attachment 376284View attachment 376283View attachment 376282View attachment 376281View attachment 376280

TACTIC HAS SET OI'S.. SO DON'T LET ASSISTANT HANDLE

Set-pieces: I use Danilo corner tactic as its a beautiful how the goals happen (advantageous if u have CMs with good long shots) but the defensive set-pieces were too leaky, so i changed them. (Use CAM for corners or LB/RB if they have high corner stat, example-baines)

Training: Pre-season Fitness-Very High and Tactics(50%)

Season- Team Cohesion-High and Def.Positioning(30%)

Once you achieve team cohesion of very strong understanding, change match training to balanced (average).
Train all players for their individual roles in the tactics, but make sure that they are happy/content with their training schedule. Adjust workload accordingly.

I think team talks is the most neglected part of a tactics ability. I go into very extensive detail for team talks, combining a team talk with individual team talks for defense/mid/strikers. Morale plays a big part in this game than anything else i have noticed, so extensive man management is required to achieve success.My talks depend on whether i am playing at home/away or coming of a winning streak or a big loss. Most of the times its either Assertive or Aggressive (I like to assert my dominance in the changing room
tongue.gif
).

For Home:
Pre-Match: If coming of a winning streak- Carry on from last match (Assrt)
If clear favourites or evens- Expect a win (Assrt)
when underdogs- Nobody fancies us (Only if option available, Assrt)
And Individual talks (only prematch): for defence- Hav faith(passnt), Mid- have faith (assrt), Attc-Have faith(assrt)

HT: Winning by a goal or less -Not happy(Assrt)
If losing- Not happy (Aggrs)
Winning but 2 goals but player ratings average below 7 (Not happy- Assrt)
Winning by 2 goals or more and player ratings fairly high on average 7 and above -Very Happy(Pssnt)

Full Time: IF win by 2 or more regardless of player ratings- Very pleased (Passionate)
Win by 1 goal when favourites- bit of a let off(Assrt)
draw or loss- Unhappy (Aggrs)

Its pretty much the same Away, except i praise at half time and full time if leading by 1 goal and win. (passionate if big win and calm if 1-0)
Also if u lose as underdogs with (Nobody fancies us prematch)- give dont look back at result (assrt)

NOTE: Never give seek revenge.. it will show a great boost in morale, but trust me it never works. well atleast in 14.3.1 it doesnt.

Last edited:
Your attachments aren't working for me, try reuploading?

How about know.. re-uploaded all attachments. Also here is Larsson for me in the Leeds save

View attachment 376279

I am currently testing this tac with Lazio. Will update u on how its going.. started season with 20 match unbeaten streak, Klose is a beast as a Lone striker.

Last edited:
WOW nobody even gave my tactic a try.. NO FEEDBACK..... :(
so much for first ever post

i'll try it right now m8, but im going to play on FMC :p

thanks.. please let me know about ur results.. constructive criticism is appreciated.. and suggestions for any tweaks to help it make it better

I will give it a try. It looks fairly good and I?ve been looking for one really solid one.

I would suggest if u notice the opposition using MR/ML or WBR/WBL.. put them on closing down always in pre match OI's. Also use drop deeper and no offside if playing against long ball teams (weaker oppositions like stoke/villa/westham)

Still really early days so a bit of a pointless post, but things are going remarkably well. Will report back when I have played more games.

W4wxbmO.jpg

I try this tactic with my Monaco save and I let you know about results. peace

Still really early days so a bit of a pointless post, but things are going remarkably well. Will report back when I have played more games.

W4wxbmO.jpg

Nice results mate.. make sure to use the changes in OI for MR/ML and wing backs as i found the AI somehow only score from crosses against me

I know it's still early for this tactic but first game I got a 4-0 win against Man.Utd and I'm Huddersfield

WzvY1eE.jpg

Last edited:
this is similar to Steatons 4-2-3-1, did you get your idea from his tactic? nether the less Iv'e just battered WBA away 6-2 :)

this is similar to Steatons 4-2-3-1, did you get your idea from his tactic? nether the less Iv'e just battered WBA away 6-2 :)
No, I tried Steanton's old 4-2-3-1, marcelo tweak and even the new annihilation. None seemed to work for me but the only 4-2-3-1 i have had success with was Feevah origins v2. This is an entirely new tactic but i use the OI's from Feevah and some player instructions. The philosophy and playing style of this tactic is something i came up with from countless hours of trial and error.

Oh yeah mate, this is first tactic i ever created that seems to work better away than home. This is a pure underdog tactic in my opinion. This got me to UCL in my first season after promotion with Leeds and won EPL first season with Everton.

Last edited:
Update on my progress with Lazio (Its a network game i play with my friend so very slow progression) nevertheless here it is:-
View attachment 598472View attachment 598474View attachment 598476

Included is an example of how your winger might perform, Mirallas (recommended) for me at everton had Ballon D'or form.
Also included is the performance of Klose as my lone striker. Its only Feb and he has 21 goals and 5 assists. His cup form has been superb but went through a drought in serie A, but is now back to his best. Lets see how many he finishes with :)

No, I tried Steanton's old 4-2-3-1, marcelo tweak and even the new annihilation. None seemed to work for me but the only 4-2-3-1 i have had success with was Feevah origins v2. This is an entirely new tactic but i use the OI's from Feevah and some player instructions. The philosophy and playing style of this tactic is something i came up with from countless hours of trial and error.

Oh yeah mate, this is first tactic i ever created that seems to work better away than home. This is a pure underdog tactic in my opinion. This got me to UCL in my first season after promotion with Leeds and won EPL first season with Everton.

that's good mate, Iv'e been giving this a shot with my Newcastle team and HBA has been a beast as a right winger & AP Iv'e also had him as left winger and his crossing has been nothing but immense.

this tactic needs more attention because it seems very consistent and there's some great display from the wings & AP no matter who you have there :)

Iv'e got this tactic as my backup tactic because at the moment I have a 4-1-2-1-2 as my first option but I only have HBA & Marv as wingers and there stamina attributes are low and I couldn't possible play every single game with them two, but on the bright side though I'm in November so it's time to look for wingers who can also play as a AP.

great tactic mate I'll keep you updated with Screenshots, but if all goes well I might even start a new save to get the right players :)

that's good mate, Iv'e been giving this a shot with my Newcastle team and HBA has been a beast as a right winger & AP Iv'e also had him as left winger and his crossing has been nothing but immense.

this tactic needs more attention because it seems very consistent and there's some great display from the wings & AP no matter who you have there :)

Iv'e got this tactic as my backup tactic because at the moment I have a 4-1-2-1-2 as my first option but I only have HBA & Marv as wingers and there stamina attributes are low and I couldn't possible play every single game with them two, but on the bright side though I'm in November so it's time to look for wingers who can also play as a AP.

great tactic mate I'll keep you updated with Screenshots, but if all goes well I might even start a new save to get the right players :)

Good to know your enjoying the tactic mate. Try Stanciu at AP and Bakkali for the LW/RW.. Dorin Rotariu is also a good buy but he takes a season or two to get into gear. I should have mentioned in the OP that this tactics works best with a strong target upfront with good heading ability.
Started a new save with city to see its effectiveness with Elite teams. Unbeaten so far but still not satisfied with the results as i am testing a tweak of the original tactic. Heres a sneak peak at Aguero(AP) and Negredo(P).. deadly duo
View attachment 375936

Good to know your enjoying the tactic mate. Try Stanciu at AP and Bakkali for the LW/RW.. Dorin Rotariu is also a good buy but he takes a season or two to get into gear. I should have mentioned in the OP that this tactics works best with a strong target upfront with good heading ability.
Started a new save with city to see its effectiveness with Elite teams. Unbeaten so far but still not satisfied with the results as i am testing a tweak of the original tactic. Heres a sneak peak at Aguero(AP) and Negredo(P).. deadly duo
View attachment 598642

I have Stanciu already in my Newcastle side as the Ap and already he has 4 goal and 2 assist from 3 games :), I also have Pratto as my striker who has the ability to be all the strikers roles and so far he has 15 goals out of 6 games Iv'e also got Volland back from injury so I played him as the left winger and he got MOTM from assisting 3 goals from the left.

I would also like to point out that my lowest score in the game was 3-0 against Everton the rest have been 4,5,6,7 goals per game against even the top teams.

again great tactic mate and I can't wait to start a new season to get this fully fluid.

P.S do you change Mentality any time during game play? I know you said change to Defensive during a good lead at half time are maybe in the 70-80 minutes but if I changed to say Counter or Control against a much smaller will this have any effect on the style itself, I ask this because iv'e notice the D-line is pushed much higher up and the smaller teams will hit me hard - unless I change the D-line against these teams?

The change to defensive mentality is as a precaution if the game is evenly matched or if u have a slight edge. I suggested already that against smaller teams who u expect to play on the long ball, change D-line to drop deeper and no offside trap. Use this only if you notice in the beginning of the game that your defenders are being caught out with long balls. Having fast CBs help, balanta and mbiwa would make a great pair.

I actually have a formation pre-saved with instructions changed to drop-deeper/no-offside but change mentality to control as i expect the small teams to fall back and absorb pressure allowing more space for my attackers to go forward.

But if the Initial Tactic works for you dont change, why change when your winning every match. ;)

Last edited: