4-4-2 tactic with Benitez flavour

So say if I'm playing a lesser team I should really be beating comfortably, should I go with an attacking type formation/mentality?

Hi Mikey_V - you could go with attacking or with control. Attacking would seem more obvious but if the team you are playing is in a defensive counter-attacking formation, then you may get badly caught out. Control allows you to feel your way into the game and break down defensive formations without being so aggressive that you'll get stung on the break. Both can work, but attacking is more risky.

Cheers mate! Think I'll start with 'Control' variant then, should I have my wing backs making forward runs in this variant because they have quite a bit of pace or should I keep them back?

I'd leave the control variant as it is and see how it plays out, I think the fullbacks are on mixed runs? I actually use wingback instructions rather than fullback to help achieve better overlapping so the instructions are fairly attacking as they are. It's an attacking form of the control variant (see the post specifically about it on this thread) so it should be enough. Pushing your fullbacks on too much leaves huge spaces for a team to hit with direct balls on the counter, which is what you're trying to avoid happening :) If you want to make it more attacking still, push the width and tempo up a bit but if you need to score then you can just switch to the attacking variant anyways.

Zebedee,

I've tried using your tactic for my Boro team to pretty mixed results.

The standard setting seems to keep hold of possession well, but my team gets very few attempts on goal compared to the opposition.

After switching to attacking, my passing goes all to pot.

I've just finished my first season in 11th.

Any ideas?

Are you tweaking the tactics for Boro Ner0? The passing is set for a league 2 team, so click the passing for each player (because each player/role/position has different passing set) to the left 3 times to start with and then see how your team is doing - better passers can go a bit lower still, worse a bit higher. Try not to go too low in midfield and defence though or you'll get stung if you give the ball away in a dangerous area.

Creativity for a premiership team would also need increasing, especially for the attacking 5 (wingers, MCa and forwards).

Are you switching in match? Boro aren't the world's greatest team, so you'll probably need to play defensive and shut up shop (ie ultradefensive) as a starting variant against a lot of teams (use the betting odds as a guide). Against weaker teams, control is the variant to use to start with.

All the best.

Last edited:
Zebedee,

I have adjusted the passing, but not to the extent that you suggest. Also, the creativity hasn't been altered either.

Thanks for the tips, I'll play a few games and let you know how it's going.

Cheers

Ner0

Zebedee,

I have adjusted the passing, but not to the extent that you suggest. Also, the creativity hasn't been altered either.

Thanks for the tips, I'll play a few games and let you know how it's going.

Cheers

Ner0

Good luck. Another option to look at when attacking is to increase 'width'. This is especially useful if you have decent fullbacks and wingers for your level. Tweaking in match can also pay dividends - your assistant manager sometimes spots things which you won't see so listening to him can help out ;)

In my first season with spurs. lying in 15th after half a season .
PL19 W5 D5 L9 F22 A 32.
Starting with defensive .
will keep you updated .
looks a good bunch of tactics:D

In my first season with spurs. lying in 15th after half a season .
PL19 W5 D5 L9 F22 A 32.
Starting with defensive .
will keep you updated .
looks a good bunch of tactics:D

Have Spurs been so badly changed in 9.3?! No idea what their league position should be to be honest, although if they've been heavily changed from 9.2 to make them relegation candidates, those are decent results, but if they are still UEFA cup potential, those results are a bit worrying using this tactics set.

Hope the season goes well for you.

Have Spurs been so badly changed in 9.3?! No idea what their league position should be to be honest, although if they've been heavily changed from 9.2 to make them relegation candidates, those are decent results, but if they are still UEFA cup potential, those results are a bit worrying using this tactics set.

Hope the season goes well for you.

well the media prediction is 9th position..........

man city's is like 5th, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the media prediction is 9th position..........

man city's is like 5th, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks SAFC7. I think I might need to make a specific 'Premier League' version of this set to help people out a bit more. Playing league 2 style football in the Premier League isn't going to work :)

I was just wondering how these tactics are working in your career game Zebedee? Have you moved clubs/been promoted since and made any tweaks?

I lost my Derby save when my PC blew up so I've had to start again, but one thing I remember was that in the EPL I had to switch from 4-4-2 to a 4-1-4-1 to survive. My players over achieved in the first season and I won promotion with a mid table Championship team. I was unable to strengthen adequately and struggled for two seasons.

Hi Craven. I've just started a career game with Bognor Regis (there's a thread in the LLM part of the forums). Currently mid-table with a squad predicted to finish dead last using these tactics (primarily defensive variant though as Bognor are awful!) although season is very young yet (mid-November).

Poorer teams (for their level) definitely do need to consider a 4-1-4-1 or something a little tighter defensively. I think that's primarily because of the importance of the MCd position in defence.

I'm actually considering doing a 4-1-4-1 set when I get round to playing again because Bognor are having a bit of a rough time away (partly my fault for being adventurous, partly the tactics not being defensive enough for very poor teams for the level). I'm scoring lots, but conceding a fair few too (5-4 losses are a bit too Newcastle under Keegan for my tastes!). However, a lot of my goals are being conceded from long range and I'm not so sure that it's my closing down which is fault but more my keeper playing like he's had a few pints before the match.

Not really made any tweaks for 9.3, but I have made tweaks for Bognor and my players. Passing for the BSS means I've put it up for every player by a couple of clicks. Stuff like that has to be done. The defensive line I've put to the same mentality as the MCa where it wasn't already.

All the best.

I am managing Aberdeen and the 4-4-2 looks to work fine.I would like to add a variant of this system that so far is very good.3 defenders (2 DC and a MC with good marking and generally good defensive attributes) 4 supporters (2 fullbacks that have almost half of my asists and ML,MR that usually are AML,AMR players that have forward runs often) and finally 3 attackers (consisted of one MC that is a classic 10,good old times, and 2 strikers).With wide width ,direct passing, quick tempo.For the classic 10 i strongly suggest Mascio from Cisco.This system is very versatile and you can easily change to defensive or really attacking.

Post it up Skiouros :) It sounds like an attacking form of a control tactic which would give another option to people using the Benitez mentality.

I have just started using these tactics for my Eastbourne Boro side in League 2 and so far they are working great. I have pretty much just been using the control one and I am finding that my players are dominating the game more, scoring more goals and are also scoring late goals as well. Up until I changed to this tactic, my form was sketchy: I'd win a game or two, then lose a couple, maybe draw a couple and so on. Since changing, I am on a 6 match unbeaten run with 3 draws and 3 wins (Including one game where one of my strikers scored the first hat-trick the club had seen in over 2 1/2 years :D). In this run, my team has won 6 of the points from goals scored after the 82nd minute whereas they weren't doing that before.

On that note, I wanna say a huge thanks to Zeb and the wonderful tactics you have created - it has saved my season from disaster :wub:

I started using these tactics with Bournemouth in league 2 but I just couldn't get any results and eventually got sacked.

However, I've restarted with Kidderminster in the BSP and I'm top after 19 games . I've only conceded 7 goals all season and went 8 games without conceding at the start of the conceding. Only lost one game.

The tactics really are superb. I think I just need to get some decent strikers in as I'm not scoring too many goals (quite a few nil-nils) and I'll be winning CLs with the Harriers in no time ;)

Hey guys.

I won the BSP with Kiddiminster but now that I've gotten promoted I'm struggling with these tactics in League 2. Obviously it is going to get harder but I've signed some decent players and feel I should be doing better. Any tips on how to tighten up the tactics?

Hi Stevo985,

much depends on the quality of your players... Make sure that you are choosing the right tactics - if you're not favoured by the match odds to win, then play defensively. Your opposition is much better in League 2, so until you improve your squad you have to play cautiously. Shortening the passing a tiny bit and increasing the creativity a tiny bit (for each player - as thre is a difference for each main position) will help a bit too.

Good luck :)