4132 - Strikerless Mayhem with a Solid Defence

• Thread starter Thread starter veez
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 763
  • Views Views 301K
guys, any tips when to use standart mentality and when I have to switch to counter?

i usually use standard and rarely use counter, so as jethers said, it really depends on your team, as we manage to get results with both approaches

i'd say use counter if you actually feel weary of the opposition or if your defense is looking unstable
this tactic is all about balance within the team, whenever you feel that balance isn't being achieved, especially defensively, you need to change mentality or sub your tired players in key positions

in regards to going forward i believe we will score goals with any mentality, although some will get you more chances to do so when used at the right time or against the right opponent.

so its all about you reading the game, there isn't really a correct formula to it

View attachment 108281View attachment 108280

on an incredible run, unbeataten all season in all competitions. last time we conceeded two goals in one game was 18 games ago - we've conceeded only 6 goals in this period, 2 of them against city over two games

think the Anchor Man is a definate upgrade on the HB (no player instruction changes required)

really confident going into the final third of the season

managed some massive signings in the winter transfer window :D

View attachment 108279

marcus edwards was made for the SS role - 8 goals and 4 assists in his first 8 games

View attachment 108278

Marcus Edwards...definitely Veez's favorite player in FM17!

Well the recovery was good, took over in 16th place in December and finished in 4th securing a CL spot by 1 point!

Tottenham won the league on the last day winning whilst Arsenal drew.

Hopeful of a couple of signings but no major changes and having a pre season to give it a full run at the title.

Hazard and Willian are bests in the WM positions. Willian missed 3 months with an injury as well.

View attachment 108262View attachment 108261
View attachment 108260View attachment 108259

Marcus Edwards...definitely Veez's favorite player in FM17!

Well the recovery was good, took over in 16th place in December and finished in 4th securing a CL spot by 1 point!

Tottenham won the league on the last day winning whilst Arsenal drew.

Hopeful of a couple of signings but no major changes and having a pre season to give it a full run at the title.

Hazard and Willian are bests in the WM positions. Willian missed 3 months with an injury as well.

View attachment 1100207View attachment 1100208
View attachment 1100209View attachment 1100210

ahahaha! he probably is

that's was quite the comeback, setting you up nicely for next season. should be fun!

1 loss in two years with 2 leagues and 2 checkatrade trophies, not a bad tactic. I've bullied my way through league 1 and I've got a very interesting regen for a league 1 team, it'll be interesting to see how we step up to the championship.

i'm truly amazed at this team's achievements and performance over this season. everything considered, probably my most successful season to date

View attachment 108106View attachment 108105
View attachment 108103View attachment 108102

managed an incredible treble with a very young and unproven championship team, losing one single game all season and conceeding very few goals in all competitions, despite coming up against some of the premier league big boys on a few occasions

View attachment 108095View attachment 108098View attachment 108097View attachment 108096View attachment 108099

won the league comfortably, setting a new points and wins record, scoring 101 goals and conceeding 24 over 46 games

View attachment 108104

scored 146 goals over the last 50 games, conceeding only 25. we created a chance every 31 minutes and conceeded one only every 183 minutes (!!!!!) ... so one chance every third game XD

View attachment 108101View attachment 108100

think changing the HB to Anchor Man has really made a diference both defensively and offensively, providing much more balance within the team and recycling posession when needed, as he averages around 40/50% more passes than the HB and is involved in more tackles - also thin it makes our CB's more stable as they dont widen their stance as much - this change to Anchor Man was made after the 3-2 win at home to sheffield wednesday in November, it was also the last time we conceeded more than one goal in a game.

going forward, immense as always. played with the standard mentality most of the time. although i played around with the counter mentality more often and with success after reading some suggestions here. as referred before, the attacking mentality is more hit and miss, especially against opposition that are sitting deep and concentrating on defending - here is where the counter mentality can help to unlock games. although starting with an attacking mentality at home in some games has proven effective too

raring to get started with our first season in the prem :D

Last edited:
It's not quite as defensively sound for me in lower leagues, quite infuriating at times! I seem to be getting caught out quite often with my defensive players dawdling on the ball. Between that and my keeper seemingly afraid of the ball at times, i am surprised it is going as well as it is.
Latest win was 3-2 away to Middlesbrough in third round of EFL Cup.
Home form apart from THAT game against Palace has been a bit dubious. We have been the better side but struggled to win comfortably. Half thinking that I may be tinkering with things a bit too much, and should just wait for the players to become more familiar with the tactic.

It's not quite as defensively sound for me in lower leagues, quite infuriating at times! I seem to be getting caught out quite often with my defensive players dawdling on the ball. Between that and my keeper seemingly afraid of the ball at times, i am surprised it is going as well as it is.
Latest win was 3-2 away to Middlesbrough in third round of EFL Cup.
Home form apart from THAT game against Palace has been a bit dubious. We have been the better side but struggled to win comfortably. Half thinking that I may be tinkering with things a bit too much, and should just wait for the players to become more familiar with the tactic.
Which mentality have you been using? And are you using the Anchor Man or HB?

Nevertheless, those results look really positive lol especially if you've been promoted back to back

Enviado do meu SM-G850F através de Tapatalk

Which mentality have you been using? And are you using the Anchor Man or HB?

Nevertheless, those results look really positive lol especially if you've been promoted back to back

I have used the Anchor Man 100% since you suggested it last week (?).
I found it was a big upgrade straight away.

I generally use standard for home matches (counter for tough home matches, ie cup matches), counter for away matches. I am predicted to finish 24th out of 24, so I don't feel there are many games where I am able to use attacking with any great deal of confidence!

I have used the Anchor Man 100% since you suggested it last week (?).
I found it was a big upgrade straight away.

I generally use standard for home matches (counter for tough home matches, ie cup matches), counter for away matches. I am predicted to finish 24th out of 24, so I don't feel there are many games where I am able to use attacking with any great deal of confidence!
I feel attacking only works when you use it at home from the start of the game. If you arent creating chances by 30 minutes, change back to standard. When chasing games, changing to attacking works sometimes, but not consistently as against very defensive teams we create even less opportunities.

In regards to away matches I always use standard. Only use conter if im up by 2 goals against a much stronger team and feel they are building momentum, or cant break down the opposition coz they are sitting too deep.

I feel the tactic works best with he standard mentality, especially if we are playing against stronger teams, as you can see from the screenies I posted last night against premiership teams that should have slaughtered me, considering the quality of players at their disposal.

Last edited:
View attachment 107833

had a wobbly start to the premier league where we conceeded quite a few goals - although both our best centre backs got injured after we won the community shield and we've had some pretty tough games in quick succession. the home loss to chelsea on the season opener also left team morale in shambles, so it took some work to get us back into form. i'm also re-training quite a few players and have induced a few signings into the starting eleven, so team cohesion wasn't the best to start with, although we have shown considerable improvements both offensively and defensively lately, despite conceeding 3 goals from liverpool in our last game, they were the only goals conceeded in our last 6 games, where we scored 20 goals.

pushing on!

Going to give this a go on my Blackpool save, your filters on the first page won't load, got any updated ones? Cheers

Back