Guru

Reaction score
433 (Volante) Guru's Lightning Bolt (19.3) (updated 16/03/19)

INTRODUCTION
Firstly, you should know that even if the tactic was tested with decent success on lesser & bigger teams, it might not work with yours depending on the players you have as it revolves strongly on the 2 Volante in the midfield. If you do, however, have all the players fitting the roles, then by all means, enjoy the show.
Also, you may notice some similarities with one of Knap’s tactics. I was already working, on streams, on this tactic for quite some time when Knap’s one came out, but since we went for the same formation, I looked into it & used some parts to complete my own (Mostly the Anchor role & the overlaps instructions).

TACTIC PRESENTATION
zFJ1WdT.png

If your playstyle is about patience, slow build-up, long periods of possession before attempting a shot, this tactic isn’t for you :p
As its name suggests, Lightning Bolt is a fast paced formation that gladly gives away the possession & a huge part of the pitch in order to make an even better use of it once your players get the ball back.
What to expect ? Anyone can give an assist at any point in time. The poacher makes deep runs often, & thanks to the pressing line not too high, he has the space to do so, allowing your central defenders & defensive midfields to attempt long passes behind the opposition.
A pretty big part of your plays will happen on the wings, you will notice a soft spot in play between your Winger, WingBack & Volante, that often play in a short triangle in order to get rid of the opposition and make enough space for one of them to make a run for it.
Your Volante can even break through the center with the ball should the need arise. All in all, the danger can come from anybody anywhere on the pitch, the more you’ll have quality players, the more you’ll notice this. Note however than the tactic still works very well with minor sides, as you’ll be able to see, I’ve managed to win the EPL + the FA Cup & go out in the final of the Carabao cup with Fulham first season without touching the mercato You can allow yourself to be on your backfoot thanks to the 3 defensive midfield (even though two of these are attacking volante). That gives your team a natural low defensive block in the middle of the field hindering the opposition possession, forcing them into awkward positions, taking long shots or just losing the ball, and before they know it, it’s in the back of their net :D

There are no OIs involved (I don't use them, but of course, feel free to do so ;))

PLAYERS
Most of the player profiles to look for are pretty standard. There are a few things you should look for however.
Wing backs : Your wing backs have an offensive role and will go up the pitch, therefor, a decent technique will be a plus, but you should still prefer someone able to defend. The key attribute is the ability to cross obviously

Wingers : The only thing to note for wingers is that it’s alright to have a left footed player on the right wing. More often than not, if it’s their natural position, they will perform better that way.
Striker : It’s always better to have someone that knows how to run, good speed is appreciated, but his Off the Ball abilities will make him shine. Bonus if he’s decent in the airs.
Volante : The trickiest for the end. You can actually play various types of players as Volante, more physique oriented ones, or more technical players, or even more defensive. There are a few key attributes in my opinion to make it work in this tactic. The two most important to me are Work Rate & Tackling. If a decent 12+ Tackling will do, you might wanna look for 15+ Work Rate. After that, obviously, stamina is a big part of the player & his passing, vision will have a lot to do with his performances. Bonus if he’s good at long shots.

CORNERS
Corners are setup short (for the time being), your right volante should be the one taking them for extra efficiancy ;)

RESULTS
Every screenshot has been made on the first season with no transfers involved (Liverpool & Juventus was on the same save).
PGSwjGi.png

gHazQEF.png

Z1o4NjJ.png

CO3UKW5.png

wKWFwA3.png

You can find the tactic on the workshop here : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1571663496
And find me on twitter here : https://twitter.com/FM_Guru88

Last edited:
Hi mate, any chance you could upload the .fmf file?
I would like to try the tactic in my next save, then give some reports later.
Cheers.

Do you change anything during a match or is it plug&play? And does your poacher score enough goals?

Hi mate, any chance you could upload the .fmf file?
I would like to try the tactic in my next save, then give some reports later.
Cheers.
.fmf added ;)

Looks very interesting....May give this one a try

Do you change anything during a match or is it plug&play? And does your poacher score enough goals?
Depends on the game, but I do like to tweak mid-game some stuff (defensive width for ex, etc). However, the results for Fulham, Lille & Nimes were full plug & play :p As for the poacher, its effectiveness varies a lot depending on the skill of said poacher. If they have the right attributes, they score LOTS, much less in the opposite case ^^

is this for 19.1.5?

edit:
apparently yes

Last edited:
I play with Fulham 3. season and after 10matches in ligue I start with this tactic and in next 15 matches i win in 13 and 2 draws, just plug and play. Fantastic tactic mate, better than all knaps tactic

I'm glad it works well for you guys :D So far, the only teams that don't really pull it off are the ones severely lacking decent players in midfield.

Seri and Johansen were Volante and Anguissa anchorman

Very good tactics, I used more than 20 different tatics,this is one of best. lots of goals and very solid win, best best best.I like it.

Finally a promising tacting with a Poacher. Im gonna try it with Inter, I believe Icardi could do well with it

I played the first four games of my St Pauli season with a different tactic & was struggling to score. Had a couple of 1-0 wins, a 1-1 draw & a 0-0. The wins were against the team bottom of the table, & a lower division side in the cup. Decided to give this a go to see if it helped and have since won 5-1, & 6-1 (both games away, to teams in the top half of the table). Very impressed so far!

Well done Guru, getting excellent results! Keep up the good work