A Simpler Story....Started At The Bottom, Now We're Here!

BallyC7

Reaction score
A Simpler Story

My recent story attempt was a new type of story, with all posts coming from news outlets, as I kicked off a new save with Welling. It seems that this type of story is not too popular with readers as there was a **** of a lot of text to read and I think most prefer to skim over the updates on here rather than get involved with a real in depth story. Not only that, but it was really time consuming to write and with a Mrs and two kids, I was struggling to find the time.

So I'm going to go back to a simpler form of story writing for this one and I hope you all enjoy. I enjoyed the game with Welling, starting at the bottom of English football, so I've decided to kick this one off at the same level.

This time though, I'll be starting in the Vanarama National League North, as manager of AFC Telford.

FC-Telford.png

AFC Telford are a semi professional club based in Telford, Shropshire. The club was formed in 2004 after the original Telford United (founded in 1872) folded due to financial problems. The club are nicknamed The Bucks.

The club have a nice little stadium, New Bucks Head, with a 6000 capacity. They also boast excellent training facilities for this level.

New-Bucks-Head-stadium.jpg

View attachment 65387

AFC Telford's fiercest rivals are Shrewsbury, Kidderminster Harriers and Nuneaton Town. We'll meet Kidderminster and Nuneaton in my opening season in charge.

Not only do I like the Telford club badge, but I think they have a pretty sharp kit as well.

View attachment 65386

As for me, I have started the game with experience as a local professional footballer, currently holding a National A License. The club have handed me a £375 wage for my first contract.

View attachment 65389

Career Achievements

Career Achievements

I'll update this as I go through my FM18 career.

Employment

July 2017 - December 2019: AFC Telford (England); Applied for and got another job

December 2019 - Present: Wigan Athletic (England)

Management Records

AFC Telford; Played 134, Won 69, Drawn 21, Lost 44; Win Ratio 51%

Trophy Cabinet

2018/19 - AFC Telford - National League North Playoff Winners

Season by Season Summary

Season 1: AFC Telford; 6th in National League North (lost in playoff semi final)
Season 2: AFC Telford; 2nd in National League South (won playoffs; promoted), FA Trophy Semi Finalists
Season 3: AFC Telford; Left with club in 16th in National League after 26 games... Wigan Athletic; 5th in League One (lost in playoff semi final)

Last edited:
Settling In

FC-Telford.png

Let's see what I'm working with here... The squad initially looks big for a club at this level and there are a number of players that my assistant rates as 4 stars +. Four goalkeepers is a bit much, lots of central midfielders and a lack of wide men means I'll probably lineup with a formation that packs out the midfield and has 2 strikers up top.

View attachment 65385

After having a look at the players individually, these are three of the best I have available to me...

Aaron Simpson is a pacey full back with a good work rate, good composure. For this level his stats for marking, tackling and heading are all solid too and he isn't the worst at crossing a ball either.

View attachment 65384

Jordan Lussey is a very good all round central midfielder with all of his stats being pretty average, which combined together make him a good player at this level.

View attachment 65383

Barnes-Homer is a striker that offers some flair combined with good dribbling and finishing ability. He has some pace about him too and could be our main goal threat this season.

View attachment 65382

The dynamics of the squad show me that match cohesion needs a **** of a lot of work. The dressing room atmosphere is ok and the lads seem happy to have me here.

View attachment 65381

The club is in a decent financial position with over £100k in the bank. I also have over £13k available for transfers and another £500 left in the wage budget too.

View attachment 65380

All in all, it looks like life is gonna be pretty rosy here in Telford!

Nice little story so far mate...

I gave up my story after only 2 seasons due to lack of interest.:(

Nice little story so far mate...

I gave up my story after only 2 seasons due to lack of interest.:(

Thanks mate. I intend to keep this simple as that's what I think everyone wants to see. Quick updates that are easy to keep up with. Looking forward to a long career and hopefully a story to coincide with it that people can get their teeth into with me.

Telford have Elliot Newby who used to play for us (Barrow) too. Very talented lad from the town itself.

I'm just thankful it's not another YouTube story! I can get away with reading at work, can't just sit there on YouTube though.

Following this, enjoyed your stories in the past Bally

Looking good so far, personally i feel like if you want to stick with a story/save its worth doing one you like rather than one you think others will like as you will not stick with it as long, like my Truro save i would be playing even if i wasnt uploading posts on here so its not much of an extra job to update on here when i can, i always look for how many views i have got rather than the likes and comments as personally i feel like FM Base has gone downhill massive in recent years with user interaction.
But like you i have got 2 kids and a wife so it definitely cuts down your free time, and like Sam said Youtube stories are the worse for me as i generally read others stories on my lunch break at work

I'm just thankful it's not another YouTube story! I can get away with reading at work, can't just sit there on YouTube though.

Following this, enjoyed your stories in the past Bally

Thanks mate....have to admit I'm not a lover of the YouTube stories myself

Looking good so far, personally i feel like if you want to stick with a story/save its worth doing one you like rather than one you think others will like as you will not stick with it as long, like my Truro save i would be playing even if i wasnt uploading posts on here so its not much of an extra job to update on here when i can, i always look for how many views i have got rather than the likes and comments as personally i feel like FM Base has gone downhill massive in recent years with user interaction.
But like you i have got 2 kids and a wife so it definitely cuts down your free time, and like Sam said Youtube stories are the worse for me as i generally read others stories on my lunch break at work

I did enjoy writing the news articles story but it was ridiculously time consuming. Plus I think my favourite stories on here are the shorter simpler ones where you can flit in and out and pick up on the updates quite quickly to catch up....so that's what I'm going for here. Hopefully you will continue to follow and enjoy my journey as much as I'm enjoying your Truro one!

Pre Season

FC-Telford.png

Pre season went OK. Five games played as we won the games we expected to win and lost the games we expected to lose.

View attachment 65273

With the players available in the squad, these are the formations I have come up with during pre season and will be kicking off the season with.

View attachment 65272

View attachment 65271

The pre season odds have been released by the bookies and they predict as a 9th placed finish. With a couple of good additions and a good run or 2, we can certainly mount an outside shot at playoffs.

View attachment 65270

I signed a couple of players during pre season. The first was Dieter Downey, a 22 year old left back. He joins us on a free as he was unattached. Downey learnt his trade at Accrington Stanley but is yet to make a senior appearance. His stats don't set the world alight, but he will do a job for me as cover in the left wing back role.

View attachment 65269

Despite having plenty of good central midfielders, I just couldn't help myself from signing up Tendai Matinyadze as I felt he was a really strong player for us to get in the squad before the season starts. Stats of 14 for passing, 12 for vision and 14 for first touch are real quality at this level and he could be massive for us this season. Again, he was unattached so joins us on a free.

View attachment 65268

Hopefully you'll get off to a good start & pick up a few early wins.

August 2017

FC-Telford.png

August 2017
"A Decent Start"

Before the action kicked off, the board let me know what they expect this season. A mid table finish seems fair and definitely achievable.

View attachment 65178

400 season tickets at this level ain't bad!

View attachment 65177

Matchday 1: Chorley (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 7.4, Dwyer 7.1, Hayden 6.9

View attachment 65193
View attachment 65192

Kicked off the season with a draw against a Chorley side expected to be challenging for the playoffs. Not the best performance from us, but pleased I didn't start my career with a loss.

Matchday 2: Kidderminster Harriers (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Barnes-Homer 7.1, Matinyadze 7.0, Downey 6.8

View attachment 65191
View attachment 65190

My first game in charge of a major rivalry ends in a draw. Probably a fair result in a pretty even game. Both goals came from defensive errors.

Matchday 3: Harrogate Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Dwyer 7.1, McGrory 6.9, Rea 6.8

View attachment 65189
View attachment 65188

Harrogate had started the season with 2 wins already and they were just too strong for us here.

Matchday 4: Spennymoor (Away)
Telford Top Performers: White 8.3, Dwyer 7.2, Lussey 7.0

View attachment 65187
View attachment 65186

The lads turned in a determined effort against a resolute Spennymoor side that were set up extremely defensively. My first win under my belt as manager.

Matchday 5: Alfreton Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 9.0, Dinanga 8.7. Matinyadze 8.4

View attachment 65185
View attachment 65184

Our best performance of the season so far as we dominated this game and thoroughly deserved the 3-0 win.

Matchday 6: Leamington (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Dinanga 8.8, Singh 7.4, Hayden 7.3

View attachment 65183
View attachment 65182

We make it 3 wins on the bounce with another dominating performance away from home. After they missed the early penalty, it was all downhill for Leamington.

We sit 2nd in the table after the opening 6 games. A solid start, especially considering we've already played 3 of the top 6.

View attachment 65181

I bagged 3rd place in the manager of the month award in my first ever month as a football manager.

View attachment 65180

We now have an international player in our ranks.

View attachment 65179

September 2017

FC-Telford.png

September 2017
"A Mixed Bag This Month"

Matchday 7: Salford (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Barnes-Homer 6.9, Dinanga 6.8, Murphy 6.7

View attachment 65135
View attachment 65134

We kicked off the month with a home defeat against one of the best sides in the league. Not the worst performance, just not quite the class of our opponents on the day.

Matchday 8: Bradford PA (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Hayden 8.1, Cowans 7.8, White 7.5

View attachment 65133
View attachment 65132

A really good solid 1-0 away win against a side that have started the season well and sat 5th before kick off.

Matchday 9: Darlington (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Downey 8.0, Sutton 7.6, Singh 6.9

View attachment 65131
View attachment 65130

Everything was spot on today apart from the finishing. We missed some really good chances in this game and really should have won the match against a team that showed very little.

Matchday 10: Curzon Ashton (Home)

Telford Top Performers: Matinyadze 7.2, Hayden 7.0, Rea 6.9

View attachment 65129
View attachment 65128

Poor finishing cost us again in a game I can't believe we've lost. Curzon Ashton scored with their only significant effort on goal in the whole game.

Matchday 11: Southport (Home)

Telford Top Performers: Rea 8.3, Dinanga 8.3, Marsh 7.8

View attachment 65127
View attachment 65126

Back to winning ways with a dominant performance and the lads much better in front of goal today.

We still occupy a playoff place early in the season.

View attachment 65125

We were drawn against Hertford Town in the 2nd qualifying round of the FA Cup.

View attachment 65124

And we won the game...

View attachment 65123
View attachment 65122

Which put us in the draw for the next round where we drew another side from the lower leagues.

View attachment 65121

But that didn't go to plan and we'll now have to play a replay next month.

View attachment 65120
View attachment 65119

Good luck. Love the layout. Hopefully you will do well. In my story I am getting plenty of views but I don't get enough comments for my liking but if the views are there I still go with it.

That being said a new story is coming when the new update is out!!!

-------------

Just went to see your Welling story (after I posted above) and it has one of the best layouts out there. God only knows how long you took to do a post but it did look superb but for the quality of the post to the feedback I can see why you went simpler.

My layout is quite simple but still takes a wee while. I do the heading, type in the fixtures, do the logos and then the colours and then its game - update - game - update until I have my review

Last edited:
Good luck. Love the layout. Hopefully you will do well. In my story I am getting plenty of views but I don't get enough comments for my liking but if the views are there I still go with it.

That being said a new story is coming when the new update is out!!!

-------------

Just went to see your Welling story (after I posted above) and it has one of the best layouts out there. God only knows how long you took to do a post but it did look superb but for the quality of the post to the feedback I can see why you went simpler.

My layout is quite simple but still takes a wee while. I do the heading, type in the fixtures, do the logos and then the colours and then its game - update - game - update until I have my review

Thank you for the feedback Klippy...it's much appreciated. Glad you are enjoying the story and like to layout too....I do like to make it user friendly to read.

I've been following your Newcastle story on here and your success had been unbelievable mate! But I have to admit I'm guilty of not leaving many comments but I'm responsible for a fair few of your views lol!

I love your stories and especially your layout.
What kind of skin do you use?

Not A Good Month

FC-Telford.png

October 2017
"Dropping Down The League & Crashing Out The Cup.....Not A Good Month"

Matchday 12: Stockport County (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Marsh 7.8, Cowans 7.4, Dwyer 7.0

View attachment 65052
View attachment 65051

A really good team effort against what I believe to be one of the strongest sides in the division (although their league position doesn't suggest it).

Matchday 13: York City (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 7.6, Simpson 6.8, Rea 6.7

View attachment 65050
View attachment 65049

York were one of the pre season favourites to win this league after their successive relegations have seen them drop from League 2 to the National South. They dominated us for the first half and we wasn't in the game. By the time we got our act together in the second half and started creating chances, the damage was already done.

Matchday 14: Blyth Spartans (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Simpson 7.3, Barnes-Homer 7.1, Matinyadze 6.8

View attachment 65048
View attachment 65047

Blyth Spartans were predicted a playoff spot before the season started and they were living up to expecations, sitting 2nd at kickoff. We were really unlucky not to come away with anything from this game.

Matchday 15: Boston United (Home)
Telford Top Performers: McGrory 7.1, Wilson 6.8, Rea 6.7

View attachment 65046
View attachment 65045

The stats suggest a pretty even game but it was clear we are lacking confidence at the moment and we were poor. Unlucky to lose it with a ****** own goal though.

Matchday 16: Nuneaton Town (Away)
Telford Top Performers: McGrory 7.0, Matinyadze 6.7, Wilson 6.7

View attachment 65044
View attachment 65043

An awful performance all round from my lads. Defending was shocking and the strikers couldn't score in a brothel. The fans won't be happy after such a decisive loss against one of our main rivals.

This month's awful form has seen us slip right down the table. We'll need to pick up this form as soon as possible before it turns into a crisis.

View attachment 65042

We had to play our replay in the FA Cup this month against Workington....and we made pretty light work of the replay.

View attachment 65041
View attachment 65040

Which saw us drawn against National League South side Havant & Waterlooville in the 4th qualifying round.

View attachment 65039

And unfortunately, despite being the better side on the day, we crash out of the FA Cup. Disappointing as on this performance, we definitely deserved to be in the 1st round draw. Their winning goal was an absolute shocker of a mistake from my goalkeeper Singh.

View attachment 65038
View attachment 65037

We've picked up our first major injury this month as well, with central midfielder Will Marsh set to miss up to 4 months of action. Marsh has played 13 times this season already and contributed with 2 assists.

View attachment 65036

November 2017

FC-Telford.png

November 2017
"Improved League Form, But Another Early Exit In The Cup"

Matchday 17: Brackley Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Dinanga 9.3, Hayden 7.5, White 7.5

View attachment 65034
View attachment 65033

The lads put a run of 4 straight league defeats behind us with a much needed home win against a struggling Brackley side. Dinanga was on top form up front today.

Matchday 18: Gainsborough Trinity (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Dinanga 9.3, Barnes-Homer 8.8, Lussey 8.6

View attachment 65032
View attachment 65031

Smashed 'em. Our biggest win of the season so far. All three strikers on the scoresheet today.

The back to back league wins have seen us rise 4 places in the table this month to 4th.

View attachment 65030

And I was rewarded with my first ever manager of the month award.

View attachment 65029

Dinanga picked up 2nd place in the Player of the Month award as well. How he didn't win it with two match ratings of 9.30 I don't know. I think the lad's been robbed.

View attachment 65028

We were handed a tough draw against York City in the FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round.

View attachment 65027

And the game ended in a 0-0 draw, despite us dominating from start to finish, meaning the game would go to a replay at their place.

View attachment 65026
View attachment 65025

And with home advantage, the recorded a big win to knock us out. Feel a bit sorry for the lads as we didn't deserve to be on the end of such a hiding in what was a very even game. They were just very clinical in front of goal.

View attachment 65024
View attachment 65023

Bad news as we lost our first choice right wing back in Aaron Simpson for up to 7 weeks.

View attachment 65022