A Simpler Story....Started At The Bottom, Now We're Here!

December 2018

FC-Telford.png

December 2018
"Five Points Clear Despite Losing A Couple In The League"

Matchday 19: Brackley Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 8.6, Wilson 7.7, Goodliffe 7.3

View attachment 64371
View attachment 64370

We were made to work hard by Brackley but we get there in the end and sealed all 3 points.

Matchday 20: Southport (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Dunkerley 7.8, Marsden 7.0, Goodliffe 7.0

View attachment 64369
View attachment 64368

The stats suggest this was quite a close game. It wasn't...they were all over us. Most of our shots were hopeful long range efforts which didn't trouble their keeper in the slightest. Probably the worst we've played this season.

Matchday 21: Chorley (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.6, Cowans 8.2, Wilson 7.4

View attachment 64367
View attachment 64366

Chorley were much better in front of goal than us today and our defence had a bit of a nightmare. Back to back losses in the league!

Matchday 22: Kidderminster Harriers (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Dunkerley 9.0, McQuilkin 8.3, Marsden 7.8

View attachment 64365
View attachment 64364

After throwing away a 2 goal lead, we eventually secured the 3 points late on!

2 wins and 2 losses was enough to leave us 5 points clear at the end of 2018, as Boston United also suffered an indifferent month and they now find themselves back in 3rd after FC United improve to 2nd.

View attachment 64363

At the halfway stage of the season, Jordan Murphy finds himself running away with the golden boot.

View attachment 64362

We took on Newcastle Town in the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy. Pure domination as we cruised to a 6-1 win and ensured there were no embarassing slip ups today against lower league opposition.

View attachment 64361
View attachment 64360

And that would see us take on Barrow from the National League in the next round.

View attachment 64359

Although Barrow were from the league above, they sat rock bottom of it and with us flying high at the top of the National league North, my lads went into this full of confidence. And they got the job done in an entertaining game and we progress to the 2nd round.

View attachment 64358
View attachment 64357

Which meant we were in the draw for round 2, where we were handed an away tie at Bognor Regis from the National League South.

View attachment 64356

Going well mate, lets hope you can have a couple of good cup runs too thats what made my budget for my season in the league above the following year

Going well mate, lets hope you can have a couple of good cup runs too thats what made my budget for my season in the league above the following year

The club seems to be ticking over nicely in the finances department with the balance up to nearly £400k now. We're making about £20-30k profit per month

January 2019

FC-Telford.png

January 2019
"The Five Point Lead.....Gone!"

Matchday 23: Stockport County (Away)
Telford Top Performers: McQuilkin 8.2, Dunkerley 7.5, Cowans 7.1

View attachment 64305
View attachment 64304

Finishing cost us today....whilst their 3 goals were all absolute bangers from outside the box, we missed no less than 5 one on one chances. We were finding a way through their defence with ease, but the end product just wasn't there and we were made to pay!

Matchday 24: Nuneaton Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Thompson 9.3, Cowans 9.0, White 8.2

View attachment 64303
View attachment 64302

After losing 3 of our last 4 games in the league, we really needed to turn in a good performance here against our local rivals. The defence was a lot more solid, the strikers were on form and it all came together in a good away win.

Matchday 25: Blyth Spartans (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 7.2, Murphy 7.0, Downey 6.8

View attachment 64301
View attachment 64300

Nothing short of awful! My defence seems to have gone to complete **** over the last 6 or 7 games!

Matchday 26: Altrincham (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.3, Dunkerley 7.8, Singh 7.4

View attachment 64299
View attachment 64298

We were not the better side in this one, but we managed to grind out a much needed win. Charlie Dunkerley banged in his 4th goal of the month and 10th of the season.

Matchday 27: Alfreton Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Matinyadze 8.4, McGrory 7.9, Williams 7.7

View attachment 64297
View attachment 64296

We finish the month with a good home win. It's not been the best of months but we have ground out the last couple of results when we really needed it. Hopefully we can push on from here.

Our defence has been shocking over the last couple of months and we have now the 7th worst defensive record in the league. After suffering a couple of big defeats this month, we've not only lost our 5 point lead at the top, but actually dropped to 2nd in the table!

View attachment 64294

In the FA Trophy, our 2nd round tie with Bognor Regis came round. We were the much stronger side on the day but only managed a draw and will play a replay back at our place.

View attachment 64291
View attachment 64290

In the replay, they managed to take us to extra time but our dominance shone through in the end and the scoreline was a fair reflection on the balance of play across 120 minutes.

View attachment 64289
View attachment 64288

And we'll now take on Wrexham in round 3 next month.

View attachment 64287

A couple of injuries to two of our best attacking players this season and I hope to get them both back ASAP.

View attachment 64286

View attachment 64285

And with our continued overachievement, I have again been linked with a number of jobs this month. But as before, I've knocked everything back in a show of loyalty to Telford, despite the stature of the clubs I'm being linked with getting bigger. Southend United are actually 20th in the Championship following their promotion last season and very nearly tempted me to throw my hat in the ring.

View attachment 64284

View attachment 64283

View attachment 64282

February 2019

FC-Telford.png

February 2019
"Only One Defeat But We're Still Trailing Boston Who Keep Up Their Good Form"

Matchday 28: Workington (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Thompson 7.9, Matinyadze 7.3, Dunkerley 6.9

View attachment 64162
View attachment 64161

This lot really do prove hard to beat and again we struggled against them in this game as we fell to another defeat with ANOTHER poor defensive showing.

Matchday 29: Kettering Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: O'Keefe 7.1, Singh 7.0, Thompson 6.9

View attachment 64160
View attachment 64159

This was a really poor result against the side at the bottom of the league.

Matchday 30: Halifax Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Marsden 9.0, O'Keefe 8.0, White 8.0

View attachment 64158
View attachment 64157

John Marsden is back! He marked his return from injury with a goal and an assist. I also made some little tweaks to the defensive side of my tactics and we kept our first clean sheet in 10 games!

Matchday 31: Solihull Moors (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.8, White 8.6, McQuilkin 8.1

View attachment 64156
View attachment 64155

Back to back wins! A good performance here....it looks like they had a lot of shots but most of them were long range efforts that were never anywhere near.

Matchday 32: Darlington (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.8, Cowans 7.3, O'Keefe 7.2

View attachment 64154
View attachment 64153

We were lucky to come away with a draw after being 2nd best for most of the game.

It wasn't the worst month in the world but we still trail Boston United who kept up a decent run of form and are now a couple of points ahead of us with a game in hand. They've been exceptional to be fair, only losing 4 games all season so far. I'm waiting for them to have a bad run....it's gotta be due, surely? Down at the other end of the table, it looks like only 1 of 4 teams will survive the drop.

View attachment 64152

We continued our decent cup run in the FA Trophy, coming out on top in a game that was always going to be tough against a Wrexham side that are flying high in 5th place in the National League. A good performance in a game where we held our own against higher league opposition and I'm really pleased with the lads.

View attachment 64151
View attachment 64150

Which sets up a 4th round tie with another National League side in Maidenhead.

View attachment 64149

There's rumours of a takeover big at Telford, but unfortunately not from a Russian billionaire who will pump millions into the club.

View attachment 64148

And Telford continue to support my development by funding my next coaching badge.

View attachment 64147

March 2019

FC-Telford.png

March 2019
"Playoff Place Secured, But Are We Now Playing For 2nd"

Matchday 33: FC United of Manchester (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.6, Singh 7.1, White 7.0

View attachment 64138
View attachment 64137

We fought back well against the side in 3rd place to earn a credible draw.

Matchday 34: Harrogate Town (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Goodliffe 6.8, Cullinane-Liburd 6.8, Downey 6.7

View attachment 64136
View attachment 64135

No wins in 3 league games now and we're dropping well off the pace of Boston who look to now be running away with the league title.

Matchday 35: Curzon Ashton (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 9.6, Thompson 9.5, White 9.2

View attachment 64134
View attachment 64133

I think Curzon Ashton suffered the backlash from our defeat against Harrogate in the previous game!

Matchday 36: Gainsborough Trinity (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Thompson 9.2, Dunkerley 8.6, McQuilkin 8.5

View attachment 64132
View attachment 64131

Charlie Dunkerley came off the bench at half time and completely turned this game around for us!

Despite only losing 1 game again this month, it proves 1 game too many as Boston continue their impressive run and extend their lead at the top to 8 points with only 6 games remaining....Are we just playing for 2nd place now?

View attachment 64130

Reece Thompson and Jordan Murphy both had a good March and were named in the top 3 in the Player of the Month award.

View attachment 64120

Our game against Maidenhead in the FA Trophy resulted in a very comfortable win for us. We were completely dominant in a one sided game and went on to knock out our 3rd National League side in this year's competition.

View attachment 64129
View attachment 64128

Which set up a semi final tie with Maidstone United.

View attachment 64127

But over the two legs we were finally knocked out by higher league opposition. We created a number of good chances across the two legs, and if we'd have taken a couple more of them then it might have been a different story. Ultimately, their extra bit of quality shone through across the two games.

View attachment 64126
View attachment 64125

View attachment 64124
View attachment 64123

The takeover went through very quickly and we now have new owners. It's not really made any difference at all as their has been no real change in finances, no change to my transfer or wage budget. I just report in to a new boss now.

View attachment 64122

View attachment 64121

April 2019

FC-Telford.png

April 2019
"It's Confirmed.....We'll Finish 2nd"

Before I go on with this month's update, you will notice that the skin I'm using changes. This is because after the update, the custom skins are not allowing me to give team talks at the moment so I've had to revert to a base skin that came with the game until this is fixed.

Matchday 37: Tamworth (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Thompson 8.8, White 8.0, Sutton 7.4

View attachment 64116
View attachment 64115

As we look to string together a good final month of the season, this was a solid way to kick it off.

Matchday 38: Spennymoor (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Goodliffe 7.1, Singh 7.0, White 7.0

View attachment 64114
View attachment 64113

Spennymoor are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table and they sure gave us a tough game here. But we came through it with a solid 1-0, the winning goal coming from John Marsden who capitalised on a defensive error.

This game was also my 100th in charge at Telford.

View attachment 64108

Matchday 39: Boston United (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Thompson 7.5, Singh 7.0, White 7.0

View attachment 64112

Despite a spirited attempt at a 2nd half comeback, the damage was already done in the 1st 45 minutes, as Boston all wrap up the league title with this result.

Matchday 40: Brackley Town (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Marsden 9.1, Williams 8.7, Doyley 8.5

View attachment 64111

It was simply about the quality going forward today. Both teams created an equal number of chances, but ours were much more clear cut than theirs and we took them nicely too. The scoreline was probably a little harsh on them but oh well... The win guaranteed us 2nd place in the league too.

Matchday 41: Southport (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Matinyadze 8.3, Marsh 8.0, Williams 7.7

View attachment 64110

With Southport sitting inside the top 6, this was a game that could be replicated in a couple of weeks in the playoffs, so I'm pleased to have got the win and maybe a mental advantage if we do meet again.

So there you have it. With one game to go, it is confirmed that we will definitely finish 2nd in the table which will see us enter the playoffs at the semi final stages. There is still a lot that can happen on the final day with playoff spots and relegation places still to be decided.

View attachment 64109

I picked up 3rd place in the manager of the month.

View attachment 64106

We broke the club's record for most wins in a season too.

View attachment 64107

Last edited:
May 2019

FC-Telford.png

May 2019
"The Playoffs"

Matchday 42: Chorley (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Matinyadze 7.7, Singh 7.2, Murphy 6.9

View attachment 64105

We finished the season with a draw, but I did rest half the first team with the playoffs in mind.

So the final league table shows that is was Darlington and Southport that secured the final playoff spots, whilst Kettering and Curzon Ashton will join Spennymoor in relegation.

View attachment 64104

The playoffs kicked off and the first round saw Harrogate and Southport overcome Darlington and Stockport County.

View attachment 64103

Which lines up a semi final between us and Harrogate Town. The game was set to be a tough one. We only lost 4-0 to them a month ago, although we did record a 4-1 win over them earlier in the season. Since being in charge at Telford though, I have only managed 1 win in 4 meetings with Harrogate.

View attachment 64102

But in a very tight game, it was us that prevailed with a late stoppage time winner from James McQuilkin. FC United knocked out Southport (also with a late goal).

View attachment 64101

View attachment 64100

So we'd play FC United in the final, the side that we knocked out in the playoffs last year. As the higher placed team in the league, we will have home advantage which could be crucial. Every game I've played against FC United has been tight so I was expecting the same again.

View attachment 64099

But it wasn't close at all as we cruised to a resounding 4-1 victory and we'll be playing National League football next season! I'm so proud of the lads as they've won these playoffs by beating probably the best two sides in them (other than ourselves).

View attachment 64098

View attachment 64097

And so it is confirmed....

View attachment 64096

End of Season Awards

FC-Telford.png

End of Season Awards

Highest Average Rating

1st. Reece Thompson - Striker - 52 appearances - 7.66
2nd. John Marsden - Striker - 44 appearances - 7.56
3rd. Henry Cowans - Central Midfield - 42 appearances - 7.53

Top Goalscorer

1st. Jordan Murphy - Striker - 43
2nd. Reece Thompson - Striker - 41
3rd. John Marsden - Striker - 22

Most Assists

1st. John Marsden - Striker - 24
2nd. Reece Thompson - Striker - 19
3rd. Charlie Dunkerley - Striker - 12

View attachment 64094

View attachment 64093

The board are ecstatic.

View attachment 64092

And Jordan Murphy was confirmed as the golden boot winner for the National League North, with an impressive return of 40 goals from 41 games.

View attachment 64089

English Season Review

england-soccer-ball.png

English End of Season Review

The Premier League title stayed in Manchester for another year, but this time it was the blue half that was celebrating. A much improved season from Arsenal sees them back in the top 4. All three clubs that came up last year went straight back down again.

View attachment 64071

Stoke took the Championship crown and will be joined by Swansea in going straight back up after last season's relegation. Fulham won the playoffs and will also play Premier League football next year. Blackburn and the MK Dons are straight back down and will be joined in League One by Bristol City.

View attachment 64070

All three clubs that were relegated from the Championship last season will go straight back up again, with Burton Albion winning the League One title by just a point. AFC Wimbledon were well off the pace and finished bottom of the division with only 7 wins to their name all season.

View attachment 64069

Crewe and Morecambe both had disappointing seasons and drop out of the football league as it is Luton who take the League Two crown. They go up with Chesterfield, Lincoln and Doncaster who won the playoffs.

View attachment 64068

Forest Green are straight back up to the football league, but it was Dagenham & Redbridge who won the National League. Last year's promoted sides gave a good showing, with only Whitehawk suffering the immediate drop.

View attachment 64067

Billericay Town achieve back to back promotions by winning the National League South and will join us in the National League next year with Welling. Bromley suffered back to back relegations as they finished bottom of the league.

View attachment 64066

Manchester United lift the FA Cup in a Manchester derby final.

View attachment 64065

None of the 'big' teams made the Carabao Cup final and it was Huddersfield who take the backdoor route into Europe next season.

View attachment 64064

This year's Checkatrade Trophy was dominated by the Under 23s sides as Tottenham beat Everton in the final.

View attachment 64063

And it was Leyton Orient who took the FA Trophy. Following our semi final appearance, we were seen as the biggest overachievers and it's clear to see Reece Thompson was the player of the tournament.

View attachment 64062

View attachment 64061

Congratulations on promotion - great way to do it!

Pre Season 2019/20

FC-Telford.png

Pre Season 2019/20

I was pleased with our pre season campaign. Putting 7 goals past Bracknell and Cleethorpes should fill my strikers with confidence. Yes we lost a couple but they were against Lincoln (League One) and Dag & Red (League Two). A good win against higher opposition and fierce rivals Shrewsbury will give the fans something to shout about.

View attachment 63979

The finances are getting stronger year on year and we now have over half a million in the bank.

View attachment 63978

As the club announced good profits last season.

View attachment 63977

And a new kit sponsor.

View attachment 63976

Promotion and another decent pre season campaign has left the dynamics of the squad in a good place before the National League kicks off.

View attachment 63975

The board gave me a decent transfer and wage budget ahead of the new season.

View attachment 63974

Brexit was confirmed.

View attachment 63973

And I reaffirm my loyalty to the club time and time again as I rebuff the advances of a few different clubs over the Summer...

View attachment 63972

View attachment 63971

View attachment 63970

View attachment 63969

So let's have a look at the new additions to my squad for the upcoming season.

Jason Gilchrist
Signed from FC United of Manchester - Fee £9,000

Jason is a striker that has been on my radar for a while now, having impressed me every time we've played FC United over the past couple of seasons. He has scored 54 goals and contributed 13 assists over the last two campaigns and I think he is a great addition to our strikeforce for a cheap fee.

View attachment 63968

Dan Butler
Unattached - Free Transfer

A decent wing back who has played for Portsmouth, Torquay and Newport County over the last few seasons, so a good acquisition of a player with experience at a higher level.

View attachment 63967

Callum Thompson
Signed from Wolves - Season Long Loan

Thompson was available as part of our partnership with Wolves. I had a look at him last season but he didn't catch my eye. However, his stats have come on a little and I decided to bring him to the club and give the 18 year old a shot this year.

View attachment 63966

Audrius Laucys
Signed from Harlow - Free Transfer

Laucys was a good find from my scouting team who found him playing in the lower leagues. With decent stats and being fairly young, I snapped him up quickly on a free. I really think he has a lot of potential and could do well for us.

View attachment 63965

Barney McKeown
Unattached - Free Transfer

Barney is another young centre back that I've managed to snap up. Again, a player with decent stats and lots of potential. He was released by Everton in the Summer, so comes from a decent academy too.

View attachment 63964

Charley O'Keefe
Signed from Stevenage - Season Long Loan

I renewed Charley's loan for another season as he did a good job for us at the back last year.

View attachment 63963

So as we go into the new season, this is the look of my current crop of players.

View attachment 63962

As far as the bookies go, they've actually tipped us to stay up with an 18th placed finish.

View attachment 63961

And Reece Thompson is expected to be amongst the goals again.

View attachment 63960

Well done on promotion. I like the look of your press officer lol.

I appointed a nice looking lady as a scout for Bilbao....... lol

Well done on promotion. I like the look of your press officer lol.

I appointed a nice looking lady as a scout for Bilbao....... lol

Cheers mate. Gotta have a couple of 'sorts' around the club to keep the lads morale up lol

Going well, think you should be able to really crack on in the league above, you have a better wage and transfer budget than my Truro side in league 2 lol

August 2019

FC-Telford.png

August 2019
"What A Great Start"

Before the season kicked off, the board sent me their expectations for the upcoming season. Naturally, they want me to avoid relegation from the National League. That will be the main priority and alongside that we'll try to go as far as we can in both the cups to bring some cash in.

View attachment 63905

Season ticket sales continue to rise.

View attachment 63904

Matchday 1: Boston United (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 8.0, R.Thompson 7.4, White 7.0

View attachment 63912

We kicked off the National League campaign with a home game against Boston, who'd won the National League North and come up with us last year. Last season, they had managed to do the double over us, so I was chuffed to get the better of them here and kick off the season with a win.

Matchday 2: Sutton United (Away)
Telford Top Performers: C.Thompson 8.4, Murphy 8.3, Sutton 8.1

View attachment 63911

A comprehensive victory in our first away game in the National League....Well done lads!

Matchday 3: Leyton Orient (Home)

Telford Top Performers: Butler 8.0, R.Thompson 7.6, C.Thompson 7.4

View attachment 63910

A great result against one of the best teams in the league.

Matchday 4: Tranmere Rovers (Away)
Telford Top Performers: White 8.3, Dwyer 8.3, Cowans 7.6

View attachment 63909

After 3 straight wins, Tranmere bring us back down to earth with our first defeat of the season. To be fair, they were completely dominant.

Matchday 5: Crewe (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Marsh 9.0, O'Keefe 7.7, R.Thompson 7.5

View attachment 63908

What a result this was to finish our first month in the National League.

Our excellent start has left us in the top 7 at the end of August.

View attachment 63907

But it wasn't all good news in the opening month of the season as one of our best players from last season suffers an injury.

View attachment 63906

September 2019

FC-Telford.png

September 2019
"Win, Lose, Win, Lose"

Matchday 6: Chelmsford City (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Matinyadze 7.4, Dunkerley 7.3, Downey 6.8

View attachment 63828

Look at those stats....how on earth we've lost by that scoreline I don't know!

Matchday 7: Fylde (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Dunkerley 9.6, White 9.2, Cowans 8.8

View attachment 63827

After throwing away a 3-1 lead, we did eventually go on to record a decent away win.

Matchday 8: Aldershot Town (Home)
Telford Top Performers: Cowans 7.8, R.Thompson 7.0, Matinyadze 6.9

View attachment 63826

I might need a new goalkeeper....4 shots, 3 goals for Aldershot....shocking keeping for 2 of them!

Matchday 9: Torquay United (Home)
Telford Top Performers: R.Thompson 9.4, Cowans 9.1, McKeown 9.0

View attachment 63825

Our best performance of the season so far.

Matchday 10: Maidstone United (Away)
Telford Top Performers: R.Thompson 7.3, Cowans 7.1, Singh 7.0

View attachment 63824

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you we hit the post 4 times in this match!

Matchday 11: Chester (Away)
Telford Top Performers: Murphy 8.8, White 8.2, Cowans 8.1

View attachment 63823

Our form over the last 8 games now reads LWLWLWLW. This win moved us into the top 5.

This month's form has kept us in the top 7 for another month as we make a mockery of our supposed relegation candidate status.

View attachment 63822

Henry Cowans has been fantastic this month and his form was recognised with 2nd place in the player of the month award.

View attachment 63821

Another striker picked up an injury, this time Dunkerley, and it's a bad one that will see him miss most of the season.

View attachment 63820

The board has agreed to send me on another coaching course as I continue to improve my status in the game.

View attachment 63819

And they also handed me another new contract, with another pay rise. Slowly approaching that £1000 per week mark.

View attachment 63818