Absence of a left-footed winger in England Team costs them

udbhav45

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys

My observations were made purely on the England vs USA match and also from tactical articles from football websites

Due to the absence of a left-footed attacker in the England Line-up England tend to rely on Ashley Cole bombarding up the pitch to to provide attacking width something which most of the game he was unable to do because he was forced to play narrow to cover Landon Donovan's and Clint Dempsey's advanced positions up the pitch.

Shaun-Wright Philipps also did not do anything of note for the hour he was on the pitch and he wasted a good chance infront of goal.
england2.jpg

You can see here how Ashley cole is being forced to go narrower to cover Donovan who was cutting in and attacking from a more central position.

Good but England vs. USA thread was the thread you were looking for... no need for a new thread cuz of that :S

I think that thread is closed mate ;)

Tbh, havent we known for quite sometime that we have no real quality left footed winger and it's pretty much our big weakness?

Tactically yes

All opposition teams need to know righjt now is that preventing Rooney onto the ball and stopping Ashley Cole getting forward pretty much nullifies England

Tactically yes

All opposition teams need to know righjt now is that preventing Rooney onto the ball and stopping Ashley Cole getting forward pretty much nullifies England
Tbf, to stop Rooney, you have to stop Heskey. He is the provider, and as we saw vs USA when Heskey couldn't provide to Rooney, he was useless (Rooney).

Then again, it's one game. USA had Onyewu who plays/played for AC Milan, one of the top teams in the world, he's no mug.

Put Warnock at LB, and then Ash Cole on the left wing, hes a pretty handy attacker... ;)

Tbf, to stop Rooney, you have to stop Heskey. He is the provider, and as we saw vs USA when Heskey couldn't provide to Rooney, he was useless (Rooney).

Then again, it's one game. USA had Onyewu who plays/played for AC Milan, one of the top teams in the world, he's no mug.

I agree but that is certainly the impression England gave in their first match and Oneywu playerd only one competitive game last season for AC Milan

Put Warnock at LB, and then Ash Cole on the left wing, hes a pretty handy attacker... ;)

I dont think that will work mate as Warnock's inexperience will expose him too often against good wingers

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Ashley Young ??

I was thinking the same.....

I dont think that will work mate as Warnock's inexperience will expose him too often against good wingers

He would have Cole covering him still, as he is pretty good defensivley, it would be a pretty solid left side going back, but maybe not as good going forward.

Ashley Young ??

Isn't Young also really right footed?

Isn't Young also really right footed?
Naturally right footed but can do crosses with his left very well. Also scored a few good goals with his left foot for Villa.

Isn't Young also really right footed?[/QUOTE]

With Lennon stretching the defence from his position on the byline,Ashley Young can cut in and exploit the gaps while shooting on his right

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Naturally right footed but can do crosses with his left very well. Also scored a few good goals with his left foot for Villa.

That also

With Lennon stretching the defence from his position on the byline,Ashley Young can cut in and exploit the gaps while shooting on his right

... so we don't need a left footed winger?

... so we don't need a left footed winger?
We do, but for now Young is the best option we have really, or your idea of Cole at left wing and Warnock at left back is actually, a good idea imo.