I never have this problem; signings seem to work well on my game - Teams strengthen and get better, some mid table teams drop, like they can do in real life.

mayb its to do with how many leagues u load? the more leagues mayb the more realistic the game gets. i have noticed there seems to be more competition for transfers when u have more leagues

Man City always buy up the decent midfielders and loads of youngsters they never use
Real Madrid spent loads on attcking midfielders, then sell them on after a season or two for half price
Man United buy lots of wingers. Then they lose the PL because of a poor rotation system.
Arsenal buys youngsters and defenders
Barcalona buys strikers

Thats the way my Sevilla save went

mayb its to do with how many leagues u load? the more leagues mayb the more realistic the game gets. i have noticed there seems to be more competition for transfers when u have more leagues

It is to do with that. I always load between 6 and 8 countries full leagues and in my game there has been much competition for the champions league with about 15 different winners in 28 seasons(in 2038 now) Most of the big teams i see have a quality team. Real,Barca,United,Chelsea,Inter have consistently been in the top 3 or 4 since the game began. I also load a large database which may also help.

Barça always buy young strikers in my saves with Lucas, Mori, Araujo, Caio,... Real tries to sign Aquilani and Borja Valero and Man city always buy Fernandinho, Arda Turan, Bryan Ruiz and jefferson Farfan

i agree with the fact that man city usually splashes loads of cash for youngsters that will never get a single match in the starting line up, f***ing up their developement until they're 20 or 21 and selling or releasing them on free transfer

I agree this was pretty dissapointing, my Arsenal save is in 2020 and I'm winning the premier league every season with 100+ points because the old giants are still playing their players from 2010, who are now all really slow, and the replacements are pathetic. So it's like a 34 year old Rooney playing alongside some crappy regen with 5 composure and 10 finishing.

edit- and this is with 9 countries loaded

Last edited:
Same on mine - Liverpool always seem to sign 2 Saudi Arabian strikers who are dross! Even worse on my current save they got took over and have sugar daddy and Dalglish bought 6 strikers!!

i always find newcastle sign loads of crappy players altho im trying to figur out how whenever i manage them i get 10-15 mill but they seem to spend loads more

Liverpool sign Fuller every single save on mine and he only ever gets about 3 games. I mean what the ****? Ricardo Fuller?

I load 10+ nations and 50+ leagues

and yes they do make some head scratching decisions. They sometimes make good ones.

The real problem comes with them signing youth players and letting them rot for years so 10 years into the game only a handful of youth players are lucky enough to be allowed to develop.

Doesn't help that the AI tries to loan players out but asks for hundreds of thousands in compensation and they get no offers and fail to send the player to an affilliated club. I'd say only a small percentage of players actually go on loan in this game from AI teams.

The AI managers should have access to the same information we do. If we can tell messi has 20 Dribbling so should they. Also, why not have AI managers try to sign players for their preferred formation, and not base their purchases on reputation only but on their scouts' reports. They should also be able to figure out some of the hidden (within reason) stats based on information such as scouted personality and media-handling style - just like we can. Maybe have AI managers prefera certain squad personality too?

The AI isn't that bad, they do sign some awful players, but sometimes they buy good ones... though that's why I hate not playing Hajduk when I play 1.HNL cause they sell their best players(Anas Sharbini, Ante Vukušić, Mirko Oremuš, all for 5+ mil. euros) and then they always buy a crappy replacement for 100k euros and they're still in debt!? I can't understand this... I had also a save with Hajduk where after about 8 seasons I had a TOP 10 world squad and won the CL 3 times in a row... and I bought many youngsters with very good potential, I remember specially a regen called Glenn Stiemens from South Africa, bought him for 50k euros, became the best playmaker in the world and I didn't want to part with him, but I resigned and went to manage my hometown Junak, they sold him immediately afterwards for 35 mil. euros to Man Utd(which on their part was an awesome deal I can assure you)... which means if you're a lesser club, better clubs will buy your best players, but instead of your club buying the players they need, they buy ****... after a while the big clubs also make stupidsignings, though on that save the big clubs didn't do to many bad signing(Valencia even became as good as Barca) so they made the AI perfect in some cases, but in most cases, retarded!

Another weird issue I see occasionally is wages. Some of these AI managers offer really insane wages in some leagues for players that are barely first team material.

I played a low end Spanish team for a year or two and they had a striker or an AM (can't remember) on the squad making 12,500 a week, when everyone else was making like 500 or so. Really ****** me off cuz he was ineligible the entire year, I couldn't sell him, the board wouldn't let me release him on a free, and he wouldn't renegotiate his wages (smart player). He finally left after his contract went out, but by then the team basically imploded so I had to resign to get away from all the idiocy

Sunderland always make quality signings, unfortunately for them R. Madrid always steal their players after one season.

That is so true. Sunderland always make great signings, in my save Steve Bruce has a great young team. He always brings in some great African talent in my save.

I load 10+ nations and 50+ leagues

and yes they do make some head scratching decisions. They sometimes make good ones.

The real problem comes with them signing youth players and letting them rot for years so 10 years into the game only a handful of youth players are lucky enough to be allowed to develop.

Doesn't help that the AI tries to loan players out but asks for hundreds of thousands in compensation and they get no offers and fail to send the player to an affilliated club. I'd say only a small percentage of players actually go on loan in this game from AI teams.

But isn't this happening in modern real-life football? 10 years ago one of the best 2 European clubs during that time Real Madrid started doing stupid things buying plaers like Ronaldo ( a poacher) when they had arguably the best attacking duo in history (Raul - poacher and Morientes) they dropped Morientes and played with two poachers and failed. Then they bough Beckam and failed again. But the other big clubs had to start buying stars in order to remain competitive, neglecting their own youth players, and only a handful of the players born in the 1980s got a chance to play in top teams from an early age. The end result? Look at Milan - they had the best team in the world from 2003 to 2007 but thanks to neglecting the young players they ended up having a squad with an average age of 34. And not only that. Nowadays there are simply no great players. take a look at the top players today: Messi, Ronaldo, Robben. They're good but compared to Basler, Zidane and Overmars they are like amateurs. Moreover, the football today is simply ugly. Take a look at the martches b/n Barca and real this year, and compare them to the mathces of Milan, Bayern and Real 10-5 years ago. In the so called "El clasico" there was only one player who could make a real through ball - Iniesta - and he did it 2 times for the 4 games played. Everything else was a parody of football with these 70% possesion and less than 10 shots total. 10 years ago bayern and real could beat every team in the world home or away with more than 2-3 goals, having 40% possesion and around 15-20 shots. this dramatic decrease in the quality of players today is due to exactly what is simulated in FM - neglecting of youth players.

But isn't this happening in modern real-life football? 10 years ago one of the best 2 European clubs during that time Real Madrid started doing stupid things buying plaers like Ronaldo ( a poacher) when they had arguably the best attacking duo in history (Raul - poacher and Morientes) they dropped Morientes and played with two poachers and failed. Then they bough Beckam and failed again. But the other big clubs had to start buying stars in order to remain competitive, neglecting their own youth players, and only a handful of the players born in the 1980s got a chance to play in top teams from an early age. The end result? Look at Milan - they had the best team in the world from 2003 to 2007 but thanks to neglecting the young players they ended up having a squad with an average age of 34. And not only that. Nowadays there are simply no great players. take a look at the top players today: Messi, Ronaldo, Robben. They're good but compared to Basler, Zidane and Overmars they are like amateurs. Moreover, the football today is simply ugly. Take a look at the martches b/n Barca and real this year, and compare them to the mathces of Milan, Bayern and Real 10-5 years ago. In the so called "El clasico" there was only one player who could make a real through ball - Iniesta - and he did it 2 times for the 4 games played. Everything else was a parody of football with these 70% possesion and less than 10 shots total. 10 years ago bayern and real could beat every team in the world home or away with more than 2-3 goals, having 40% possesion and around 15-20 shots. this dramatic decrease in the quality of players today is due to exactly what is simulated in FM - neglecting of youth players.

Zidane exluded, Messi and Ronaldo are twice as good as the others you named in that comparison back in time. If I had to do a ranking of the players you named in terms of greatness I'd have 1.Messi 2. Zidane 3.Ronaldo 4 Overmars 5 Robben 6 Basler.

So real life teams 10 years ago refused to loan out players for anything less than 1 million dollars if they loaned them at all?

Hardly what i'd consider "simulating modern real life football"

I also wouldn't consider an 18 year old as the authority on football 10-15 years ago, not to mention your misguided causality and absolutes.

Last edited:
Sunderland sign great players and then sell them straight away :S

But isn't this happening in modern real-life football? 10 years ago one of the best 2 European clubs during that time Real Madrid started doing stupid things buying plaers like Ronaldo ( a poacher) when they had arguably the best attacking duo in history (Raul - poacher and Morientes) they dropped Morientes and played with two poachers and failed. Then they bough Beckam and failed again. But the other big clubs had to start buying stars in order to remain competitive, neglecting their own youth players, and only a handful of the players born in the 1980s got a chance to play in top teams from an early age. The end result? Look at Milan - they had the best team in the world from 2003 to 2007 but thanks to neglecting the young players they ended up having a squad with an average age of 34. And not only that. Nowadays there are simply no great players. take a look at the top players today: Messi, Ronaldo, Robben. They're good but compared to Basler, Zidane and Overmars they are like amateurs. Moreover, the football today is simply ugly. Take a look at the martches b/n Barca and real this year, and compare them to the mathces of Milan, Bayern and Real 10-5 years ago. In the so called "El clasico" there was only one player who could make a real through ball - Iniesta - and he did it 2 times for the 4 games played. Everything else was a parody of football with these 70% possesion and less than 10 shots total. 10 years ago bayern and real could beat every team in the world home or away with more than 2-3 goals, having 40% possesion and around 15-20 shots. this dramatic decrease in the quality of players today is due to exactly what is simulated in FM - neglecting of youth players.[/Quote/]

I disagree with a few things you said here, mainly messi is easily as good as the players you mentioned. Also I think the madrid/ barcelona champions league game is clouding your vision about the beautiful football barcelona played at other times this season. Xavi and Iniesta are amongst the best passers of the ball I have ever seen. And while Madrid and Milan may have neglected their youth system barca has produced puyol, pique, busquets, xavi, iniesta, fabregas, pedro, messi...Oh and this probly sound like im a barca fanboy but in truth I support United :)