Zidane exluded, Messi and Ronaldo are twice as good as the others you named in that comparison back in time. If I had to do a ranking of the players you named in terms of greatness I'd have 1.Messi 2. Zidane 3.Ronaldo 4 Overmars 5 Robben 6 Basler.
How come Ronaldo or Messi is better than Basler or Overmars. Basler had better crossing, long shots, free kicks, creativity,technique,descisions, influence, heading, penalty taking, and flair than both messi and ronaldo (speeking in terms of FM). Only ronaldo is probably a bit faster, but the difference is small. And with Overmars... his pace should have been at least 25 in tersm of FM, and his crossing, technique, agility acceleration, and flair were amazing. It's ridiculous to compare wingers like Basler or Overmars with messi or ronaldo. I do not want to continue with this discussion because it is useless and I made my point. My idea was that FM simulates exactly what is happening nowadays in football: there are simply less young players who get a chance to prove themselves. Maybe big teams buy them but then play them for one or two games, and then destroy their careers. this is what happened to Robinho, andthis is what will happen to Neymar ;)

I was talking about real life. Your comparison in terms of Fm holds no weght whatsover, the players you named were all at their peak in earlier versions of championship manager. If I remember correctly, speed was only measured in one stat back then (pace) - now it is measured in three (pace, acceleration and agility).

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Oh and I think most would agree, robinho did a fine job of destroying his own career, no help needed there

What ****** me off is that all the best young players are always bought by United, City, Real, Arsenal, etc in their teens. None of them stay at their club till 20 something like real life.

But isn't this happening in modern real-life football? 10 years ago one of the best 2 European clubs during that time Real Madrid started doing stupid things buying plaers like Ronaldo ( a poacher) when they had arguably the best attacking duo in history (Raul - poacher and Morientes) they dropped Morientes and played with two poachers and failed. Then they bough Beckam and failed again. But the other big clubs had to start buying stars in order to remain competitive, neglecting their own youth players, and only a handful of the players born in the 1980s got a chance to play in top teams from an early age. The end result? Look at Milan - they had the best team in the world from 2003 to 2007 but thanks to neglecting the young players they ended up having a squad with an average age of 34. And not only that. Nowadays there are simply no great players. take a look at the top players today: Messi, Ronaldo, Robben. They're good but compared to Basler, Zidane and Overmars they are like amateurs. Moreover, the football today is simply ugly. Take a look at the martches b/n Barca and real this year, and compare them to the mathces of Milan, Bayern and Real 10-5 years ago. In the so called "El clasico" there was only one player who could make a real through ball - Iniesta - and he did it 2 times for the 4 games played. Everything else was a parody of football with these 70% possesion and less than 10 shots total. 10 years ago bayern and real could beat every team in the world home or away with more than 2-3 goals, having 40% possesion and around 15-20 shots. this dramatic decrease in the quality of players today is due to exactly what is simulated in FM - neglecting of youth players.

this is the stupidest thing ive ever seen on the internet. basler and overmars are nobodys compared to messi and ronaldo....basler like? ...overmars wasnt really that good, he had his moments but wouldnt called him near 1 of the worlds bests.

this is the stupidest thing ive ever seen on the internet. basler and overmars are nobodys compared to messi and ronaldo....basler like? ...overmars wasnt really that good, he had his moments but wouldnt called him near 1 of the worlds bests.

Agreed