Allardyce: I'm Wenger's Equal

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Sam Allardyce insists that Arsene Wenger is no more 'advanced' in terms of coaching than him.

Allardyce feels that the perception of him is the only thing separating him from somebody like Wenger.

The Blackburn boss refuses to back down in his spat with Wenger, has been a big critic of Alladryce's style of play.

"There is a problem with perception. Arsene is seen as a sophisticated Frenchman while I'm just a rugged English centre-half from the Midlands with an accent to match, but is Arsene more advanced than me in terms of coaching? Not a chance," said Allardyce.

"Does he use live fitness data on his players during games? Does he study sports psychology every day? Does he use sports science to the extent that I do? I doubt it.

"None of all this affects my view of Wenger. I have total respect for the way he changed his philosophy in recent years when the £400million move to the Emirates Stadium reduced his spending power in the transfer market.

"He hasn't won trophies yet with his current crop but he has stuck to his guns by insisting that nothing will prevent the development of his young players. Arsenal play some wonderful football but what makes the Premier League interesting is the difference in styles between teams."

Allarydce admits that Wenger is a private figure who will never be truly understood.

"The truth is that nobody really knows Arsene Wenger. There certainly aren't too many people who actually get close to him," he continued in his News of the World column.

"If that's Arsene's way, though, then I respect that. Maybe he doesn't like me. Maybe he is keen to get on the coach or the plane after fulfilling 45 minutes of post-match media duties.

"He loves the psychological warfare of the Premier League, the world's most watched and talked about sporting competition. It goes with the theatre of the game and without it football would be less interesting.

"Arsene is a very clever guy. He uses his profile in London to get messages out which are aimed at putting pressure on referees.

"Look at the criticism he made of Stoke's so-called "rugby tactics" when they played Spurs earlier in the season.

"He accused Robert Huth of pushing Heurelho Gomes into the goal. The referee that day was Chris Foy. And who took charge of Arsenal's game at Blackburn the following week? That's right, Chris Foy.

"Arsene put pressure on the officials and I don't have a major problem with that.

"We can get fined by the FA for directing remarks at referees before games - but he did it in a very clever and subtle way.

"However, if Arsene is allowed his opinion, then I am entitled to mine. I speak to about six press people on a Friday afternoon and he probably speaks to about 60.

"What goes on between managers doesn't bother me, in fact, I find it very entertaining.

"But if I have an opinion nobody will stop me expressing it.

"How we go about our business as bosses is different from each other."

Allardyce also admitted that he would miss former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez following his summer departure from Anfield.

"I am gutted that Rafa Benitez has gone. He hated me and I used to love winding him up," he said.

"For years he came to Bolton and never got a result and used to accuse us of cheating."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6386620,00.html

This man talks himself up far too much.

Is he actually taking the **** out of HIMSELF?

Big Sam continues to fustrate me. Thinks he is much better than he is.

Is he been on the magic beans this weekend ? :S

I can manage Real Madrid!XD

I am Wenger's equal!, Jog on Fat Sam XD

Allerdyce: I'm a ****.

The other day he was saying he was good enough for Madrid :S.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Sam's great and plus I share his views about arsne the French frog

Lol, Arsene probably speaks to around 60 press people. Arsenal are a slightly bigger club than Blackburn.

There is no way in **** that the FA let any manager have an influence on referees.

The fact he keeps talking about Wenger shows that he is just jealous of the fact that Arsene has been a manager of Arsenal for quite some time where he has to manage Blackburn and Bolton. And the fact that Wenger is probably far more intelligent than he is.

He needs to stop trolling like the attention seeking fat ***** he is. I wish the press would just ignore him, maybe chuck a sausage roll at him to shut him up.

Sorry for the language use but what a **** is he thinking he is ?!?!!

TBF, Big Sam did pioneer the use of Prozone which a lot of other clubs have adopted, but yeah hes still a joker.

Wenger=trophies at every level, plus teams consistently in Champs league, perennial title threat
Allardyce=0 trophies at any level, occasionally turning a 1/2 decent team to ****, and once into Uefa Cup

yup sure is equal around here.

If he wants to engage in pschological warfare he better have more firepower than that. From a player development standpoint I can't think of anyone who turned out awesome under Big Sam. Tactical? I guess you can say hoof it up the park is a tactic. It's a lot easier to play for a draw than for a win. He had one chance to manage a fairly big club and didn't make it 1/2 a season

I look at Capello's media relations and at least he can say that he's not comfortable with speaking English. What's Allardyce's excuse for the PR disasters he's caused for himself over the last few days?

I'm better than Messi, did you know that? Just because he plays for Barcelona and I don't play for anyone doesn't mean he's better than me. It's just that he speaks to more media :P.

This guy is now an absolute idiot. He used to be a great manager, and now he is still very good, but his attitude stinks. Thinking he is better than the 2nd/3rd best manager in the Premier League and is too good for a Top-Half team is just ridiculous. He flopped at Newcastle with better resources and players (arguably) than Wenger had to start with. I also hate his style, especially Diouf. Did you see him foul Schwarzer time after time yesterday? Probably it was 'Big Sam' who told him to cheat (do that).

Soon even clubs like Forest Green won't want you anymore, if you carry on with your comments, thinking you are bigger than the club. I mean, the best managers are just modest, like Ferguson, some people argue he is bigger than the club, while he never says he does. If Wenger complimented him, then I would respect him, but complimenting yourself a numerous amount of times? Dream on mate!

Keep these Allardyce articles coming, I find them highly entertaining.

I think Big Sam has a point tbh.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Oh wait I just read the last few lines, ********

I changed the message, i didn't read the passage. Then I did. Sorry lol I think that was very egotistical of him. I'm not sure he really meant what he said, just perhaps trying to turn the media against Wenger.

He's underrated in my opinion..

But saying all of this about yourself is too far..

He's underrated in my opinion..

But saying all of this about yourself is too far..
Yeah, that's what I think too. Underrated by the media and world, overrated by himself. Maybe not so underrated after all, hey?

Back