Alpha Romeo Metaphor II

View attachment 298694Tuesday, 14 April 2015 9AM

"Thank you all for calling in," I said to get my call with my scouting team started. "I see that everyone has joined the online meeting, too. As you all know, I need central defenders, wingers and strikers. I'm willing to pay money for good, young players but I'm also willing to consider veterans especially if the price is right or they are free transfers."

"If you discover someone with exceptional talent at any other position by all means let me know," I continued. "I would like to unload my back-up keeper Samuel Atrous. I specifically brought him on for backup cover when Dejan is on international duty. Yet despite clearly telling him why I signed him, he goes off and becomes an Algerian international despite having never set foot in Algeria prior to this decision. Also, I have a long term need for a right fullback. Garics should be fine next season, but this coming season may be View attachment 298693his last that he could compete in Serie A."

"I've identified several prospects," I said. "Bernardo of Sporting Lisbon. He's a big, scary Colombian. He's not the quickest, but he reads the game well and absolutely dominates in the air. We need to know if he has a release clause. Thanks to your good work, we know he would be interested in joining us."

"Fabian Schar of Basel is another in the same way," I continued. "Large, strong and a wee bit faster than Bernardo. We'd have to convince him to join us. Find me more options along this line."

View attachment 298690

"For my wingers, I need speed," I said. "Dribbling, finishing and passing are also top prerequisites. As you all know, I don't want any soft prima donnas. What I want is an upgrade on Sergio. A bit faster and a bit nastier if you get my meaning. We've got some decent prospects coming through who have futures playing in Serie A so we can look for older players if they fit the bill."

View attachment 298692"Andrea Russotto is the kind of winger I want," I said. "Thank you for finding him. I plan on buying him and you've all said he's interested in joining up so that's done. However, I could use another like him with a decent left foot. It'd be great if the target has an awesome left, but it'd be nice to have a decent left footed cross out there on the left. None of our prospects have great lefts; they all like coming in off the right and setting up either the shot, cross or pass with their right."

"As to forwards," I said. "I need one. I'm willing to be patient. Obviously, he needs to be fast. But if you find someone awesome who isn't all that fast, we may need to rethink. The basic deal is we need someone who is far and away better than Daniele or Robert if we are to stay up. Daniele will be a decent enough back-up but he hasn't done well at all in Serie A in the past. And we all know Robert couldn't score in 19 appearances two seasons ago."

"Any questions?" I asked.

There were loads.

Serie B: Bologna v. Latina

View attachment 298503Saturday, 18 April 2015

View attachment 298502

Latina have the toughest, stingiest defense in Serie B. They sit back, a defensive midfielders parked in front of a back five with two midfielders protecting the back six. Then they hit you fast on the counter. They are nasty sucker punchers and we weren't up for it.

The normally reliable Dominico Maietta was horrible. He'd taken a knock in the 9th minute, lost track of Doudou Magni and was completely unprepared for a long ball over the top leading to the first goal. His misreading of the situation led to the second goal. I pulled him off and replaced him with teenager Luca Callegari who played far better.

The only player who didn't completely suck was the French kid Vion. He deserved his goal.

I let them have it afterwards.

View attachment 298508

View attachment 298507

View attachment 298506

View attachment 298505

View attachment 298504

Serie B: Perugia v. Bologna

View attachment 298500Saturday, 25 April 2015

View attachment 298499

Perugia have been playing great lately. They've climbed their way into the play-off promotion picture after a comatose start to the season. They've won four straight and five of the last six. Furthermore, they haven't conceded a goal in the last four victories.

We, on the other hand, can't seem to concentrate for the whole 90 minutes.

I tell the squad to play disciplined today. I would be happy with a 0-0 draw today. Today is a day to survive to fight another day. I yell at them throughout to concentrate and stay tight defensively. They followed orders and I feel good about this bore draw.

View attachment 298501

View attachment 298498'

View attachment 298497

Serie B: Bologna v. Virtus Entella

View attachment 297919Tuesday, 28 April 2015

View attachment 297918

Virtus Entella couldn't resist us. I rested several regulars and my second stringers played well. It all went wrong for them in the 10th minute, when they couldn't defend a cross and center back Leandro Rinaudo put it into his own net when it would've been easier to put it behind for a corner. This is how it goes when you're facing relegation.

Ternana suffered the curse of the poisoned chalice of second place and couldn't find an equalizer against Vicenza. Like us, Perugia went a goal down to Latina but, unlike us, found ways to get past Latina's back six. Perugia are now second.

A win next weekend and we're champions!

View attachment 297917

View attachment 297915

View attachment 297910

View attachment 297765Friday, 1 May 2015 9:30AM

"I've called this team meeting because we are just about there," I said. "The promised land of Serie A is just around the bend. As you all know, if we win tomorrow, we're Champions of Serie B. I also called this meeting because I am probably guessing right that some if not most of you aren't sleeping all that well right about now. Don't worry, this is perfectly normal. Just stick to your rhythms and schedules. Trust me when I say, and I think most veterans will agree, that it's rare to win things. This is special."

"This club last won Serie A in 1964," I continued. "We last won the Coppa Italia in '74. The year I joined the club, 1998, we won the Intertoto Cup. This club has never won Serie B. This club hasn't won anything in a long time and this century has been pretty lean times. The fans are so excited that they'll hold a party in Piazza Maggiore tomorrow night. Every Rossoblu out there will remember you for this season we're having."

"You've worked so hard, put so many many hours out on the training ground to get us into a position that we can be one win away. Here you are. I've called this meeting because I don't want you to be nervous tomorrow. I want you to go out there and become champions tomorrow."

There was no big cheer or anything. I'm not really that great of a public speaker.

"Boss, is right," chimed in Federico Casarini. "My Dad always talks about the Cup winning side of '74 and my Grampa still remembers the players from the '64 side that won the Scudetto. Let's get this done tomorrow."

"Trapani are absolute bottom right now," Captain Archimede Morleo said. "I know I'm being rested tomorrow but I know our back four will shut them down tomorrow. Their fans are quiet and a long ways from the pitch. Stadio Polisportivo is open at one end. Absolutely zero atmosphere. Plus, they're going to get relegated. I know our offense can destroy them. So just relax. We can intimidate them and win the game before the kick-off. The tunnel is narrow and cramped. We just have to come out of the locker room pumped up and they'll wilt. They aren't up for the fight."

There was a pause as everyone nodded in agreement.

"If we win, we also condemn them to relegation," I added. "In Spanish terms, we are the matador. We show up to finish them off."

"Anyone else want to say anything?" I asked. They all stood up. "Alright then, let's get out there. We start off as usual with passing squares."

Last edited:
Serie B: Trapani v. Bologna

View attachment 297710Saturday, 2 May 2015

View attachment 297709

The Bologna-Palermo flight was calm and uneventful. Thank God. Then we rode a bus westward to Erice where Stadio Polisportivo Provinciale sits and arrived in plenty of time to decompress, get massaged, stretch and get warmed up. Only about 500 of the most committed Ultras followed us down. It's a 12 hours drive which includes a ferry ride to Sicily or an overnight train with stops at Roma, Napoli and ferry at Messina.

The little, merry band of Rossoblu were shoved into a corner and surrounded by high fencing and a beefed up police presence in riot gear.

As I expected, we intimidated them in the tunnel. Like a cornered animal, they came at us with everything they had. We absorbed their early pressure and by the quarter hour mark started imposing ourselves. Out of the blue in the 29th minute, they scored.

They'd worked the ball up into our end. We had them completely contained. They played a ball into their striker Giovanni Abate. This was no big deal. Dominico Maietta was tight to him and wouldn't let him turn. The problem was Zuculini and Pazienza followed the ball. Under pressure from three Rossoblues, Abate laid the ball back to central midfielder Enis Nadarevic. Abate spun, Maietta, Pazienza and Zuculini all just stood there ball watching. Federico Barba very carefully guarded the empty space around him. Nadarevic played a pass into the gape between my two central defenders. Abate ran onto the pass and slid the ball past Dejan Stojanovic.

That woke us up. We'd evened up the score within six minutes.

Federico Casarini played a pass over the half line to Robert Aquafresca. Granata central defender Luca Pagliarulo fouled Aqua, but Casarini was on the loose ball in a flash and the ref indicated we could play the advantage. As defenders converged on Casa, he zipped a pass out wide to Matthias Lepiller. Matthias received the ball as he cut inside the right edge of their penalty box.

Rather than shoot, he struck a pass with some venom toward the back post. Sergio had sprinted past their right fullback and smacked a shot that went in off keeper Lys Gomis.

1-1

In the 41st, Lepiller's corner was cleared but only to Zuculini who retrieved the ball about 30 meters from goal. Zuke gave it to Casarini who played a quick give-n-go with Barba. Now Casa was free at the top of the box. I thought for sure that he'd shoot; he really had all day to decide what to do.

Instead, he waited for the perfect instant to slip a pass to Aqua who hammered it past Gomis.

1-2

They all ran over to the corner of the ground where the Ultras were going absolutely nuts. Like a pack of psychotic dogs hurling themselves at the fencing and all 500 of them screaming loud enough for 5,000.

Back near the dugouts, I was swept up in a minor tsunami of staff and substitutes.

But Trapani fought valiantly back. Like a wounded gladiator who knows he's doomed but continues to fight hard anyway, they rallied and pinned us back. Dejan tipped an Abate piledriver over the bar. I yelled at my defense and midfield to tighten up.

It didn't matter. Nadarevic, doing his best impersonation of Pirlo ... minus the beard and windswept hair of course ... curled a beautiful cross-field ball to the Granata's left midfielder Antonino Barilla. Barilla controlled the pass perfectly with his first touch and slid a pass into the box and into the path of an onrushing Abate. He stroked his shot past Dejan.

****! ****! and Godammit!

But wait. It wasn't going to stand! The linesman had his flag up. We were really fkn lucky. That sure was some **** marking there.

At half time I told the team to make sure they didn't get complacent. Casarini actually looked at me with a 'what the ****' sort of look. Sergio looked a bit taken aback as well.

"I'm only saying this because we've gifted them several beautiful chances to score," I said. "I don't think Abate was off for that goal just before the break. We got a bit lucky if you ask me. They're playing rather well for a team that has stunk all season long. You've got the boot on their neck. Don't let up. Clear?"

Casa was somewhat mollified by that. I'm not sure Sergio understood all of what I'd just said so I repeated it in Spanish. He nodded.

We started the second half quite well. We kept the ball and pressured them high up the pitch. Lepiller should have scored in the 49th but dallied on the ball too long when he should have just unleashed his shot. Sergio should have bagged a second but shot high in the 60th.

Francesco Migliore saved us in the 64th when a blocked shot caught Dejan way out of position. Substitute right midfielder Simone Basso had an open net but a tight angle and we were only saved by Migs launching a flying tackle that deflected Basso's shot out for a corner.

Casarini and Pazienza were starting to tire in the center of the midfield. I replaced Casa with Antonio Vacca in the 73rd and Paz with Uros Radakovic in the 76th. These moves didn't completely shut down the Granata. They kept creating chances. They weren't going down to relegation without a fight.

In the 77th, Abate crosses and substitute striker Abdelkader Ghezzal deflected it goalward. Dejan had come out and Ghezzal's point blank shot hit him. The ball fell to Basso, but Barba blocked his shot. Gyorgi Garics hoofed it to safety.

I'm about to **** myself at this point. Or throw up. Don't know which first.

In the 80th, Maurizio Ciaramitaro found himself alone, with the ball and a clear view of the net from the top of the box. Dejan got a hand on it and Garics cleared again.

I can hardly breathe. My palms are bleeding. I've dug what are left of my fingertips (there are no nails left) into my palms. I think this will hurt later.

Then suddenly my defenders find a new level of resolve and hold Trapani at bay.

86 minutes.

87 minutes, I tell Gennaro Troianiello to get ready.

88 minutes.

89 minutes.

There will be four minutes of added time. Troi is ready to come on. Abate has the ball at the top of the box, he unleashes a shot for the top right corner. My bowels tighten and my stomach loosens. Maybe it was the opposite.

Dejan got a fingertip to it and tipped it over the bar. I nearly crumpled in relief.

As Sergio came off, I screamed at my players to concentrate. Only four more minutes.

Seconds were hours.

91:00

Minutes were days. We win a corner.

91:30

Lepiller takes it. It's cleared back out towards him.

He curls it back into the mixer. There's a melee. Suddenly, the ball is in the back of the net.

Troianiello is running away with teammates trailing behind. He must have bundled it over somehow.

3-1

I think I'm going to have a coronary.

93:00

My eyes are affixed to the ref. Occasionally, I glance at the action in midfield. He looks at his watch. A moment later he looks at it again. Then once more.

And he lifts his hand to his mouth, inserts his whistle and blows the three sweetest sounds I've every heard.

I'm swept away on by a wave of players. Champagne bottles appear from somewhere and everyone is spraying everyone. All my players seem to hose me down with an extra level of glee. We all run over to the corner of the stadio where the Rossoblu Ultras are penned in. We two groups scream incoherently at each other from either side of the plexiglass barrier.

View attachment 297711

Last edited:
Having just read through the first metaphor, and now being up to date on the second as well, without a doubt it is one of my favourite stories on here. Congrats on the promotion mate!

Having just read through the first metaphor, and now being up to date on the second as well, without a doubt it is one of my favourite stories on here. Congrats on the promotion mate!

Thank you very much!

View attachment 297453View attachment 297452

I was putting my Campione tshirt on then trying to wipe some of the champagne out of my eyes when the media surrounded me. One moment I was standing there screaming incoherently, the next I was surrounded by reporters and several television cameras. It was interview time. Right out there on the pitch.

'Was it a problem keeping your squad focused with the title and promotion a foregone conclusion?'
No. We set out our goals and these players are a very dedicated group. We just kept working hard on the training ground. We just kept working to make sure that we continually improved as a squad.

'Congratulations! You've sealed the Serie B title. How does it feel?'
Awesome. I was a player when we won promotion in 2008. Considering the difficulty the club has had in recent years, I'm just ... um ... just really happy. This club is really close to my heart and this means a lot to me because this club gave me a chance.

'How proud are you to be the manager that added the Ali della Vittoria to the Bologna trophy cabinet?
'I'm humbled. I wore the Rossoblu. I love the city of Bologna and it's fans. I just want to do well for this club. This club hasn't won much of anything in recent years and I think that the fans will remember this achievement. I know that I will remember this season forever. I won promotion in London with AFC Wimbledon by winning the league, but this means more to me.

'Despite just winning the trophy, you still don't have a contract. Have you been approached about a new contract by Guaraldi? Will you be here next season?'
No, I haven't been approached. Yes, I expect to be here next season.

'Now that you've won Serie B, aren't the board and the fans going to be more demanding? Aren't they going to pile on the pressure?'
I put enough pressure on myself to succeed. Guaraldi, the board and I will meet and determine expectations for next season. Obviously, our first goal will be to stay clear of any relegation fight. I think that the supporters know I sweat Rossoblu, I want this club to succeed in Serie A just as much as they do.

'This was a tough match, far away from Bologna and Trapani were fighting to avoid relegation. Did this match live up to the billing? You must be delighted in the outcome.'
Trapani left everything out there today. They could have quit. They could have just laid down and let us win. All credit to them for fighting to the end. We talked about how tough these clincher matches are and, yes, I think it lived up to the billing.

'This is undoubtedly a great moment in the history of Bologna FC 1909, but can you build on this? Can you challenge for more trophies in the future?'
Let's not get carried away. We celebrate today, but there is much to do moving forward. It's as if I've just had a first date with a beautiful woman and you're asking where I am planning to hold the wedding celebration. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

'Talk about the goal just before halftime. What impact do you think getting a goal just before halftime is?'
When it happens to us, it's like a kick between the legs. Once again I have to commend Trapani for fighting so hard in the second half. It's better when you're on the giving end of such kickings.

'That was an amazing comeback. To see your squad turn a game around like that must be pleasing.'
We've shown resilience all season long. The early season late, late goals from Casarini. The second game of the season where we came back three times to tie Ternana away. The last minute goal in that October thriller against Citadella. I don't have the stats handy just now but we've gotten a fairly decent number of points from losing positions. This squad never stops battling. This characteristic in particular makes me the most proud. I've got to go. My coaches are waving at me. Got to get cleaned up and fly home. Ciao.

View attachment 296935Sunday, 3 May 2015

View attachment 296934

At Gwen's suggestion, we were off to Venice for a few days. We took a gondola from the train station to Piazza San Marco. We strolled the piazza for a bit then wandered along the waterfront along the Grand Canal. Venice is a fabulous city at dusk so we found a restaurant with a great view. We were unfashionably early for dinner, but I wasn't about to miss the sunset on account of social mores.

I slumped into my chair more than anything, took a huge inhale and exhaled out all the pressure from the season.

"I am guessing that today was a very big day?" the host in Italian said as he set down the menus. Gwen giggled. Her Italian was getting better.

"You have no idea," I replied. "No idea."

"Yes," he replied. "I recognize you now. I've seen you on the news a good bit these last few days. Congratulations on winning promotion, I'll send out a complimentary champagne..."

"NopleaseGodnomorechampagne," I mumbled in English.

"Please, he drink much much champagne two days now," Gwen said in passable Italian. "Wine or no wine? Only water?"

"Yes, I'll have a little," I said. "Water no gas would be best though. And lots of it."

"But of course," the host said. "We have a very light, very nice local dry white that would be perfect for the occasion."

"Ohmyfkngod I can'tbelievewedidit," I mumbled after the host had walked off.

"My dear frazzled and dazzled Italian-American Maestro, just work on breathing and enjoying the view," she said.

And I did.

A nice Salato Misto, Spaghetti Alle Vonghole helped me decompress. So did half chocolate, half hazelnut gelato while we walked arm and arm back along the Grand Canal then into the Piazza San Marco.

View attachment 296933

Last edited:
View attachment 296929Monday, 4 May 2015

View attachment 296926

Guaraldi texted me and then we talked for a few minutes while Gwen and I stood and enjoyed the view of the Rialto. He'd emailed me the financial report for April the night before. What blows me away is that we sold 945 jerseys in April. That's some 30 shirts per day every day.

He congratulated me yet again. He asked me if I was at all worried about a new contract. I wasn't and told him as much. I knew and he knew that he'd be a fool not to make sure I'm back next season. He said that my war chest (his words not mine) would be over EU20 million. Possibly as high as EU25M. Wow. That's real money.

I told him that I would start organizing a bunch of cup competitions. This was a tried and true method for generating gate receipt income and some TV revenue. We don't have enough worldwide profile to do any of the tours that the bigger clubs do. Maybe someday.

I also told him that my scouts were busy assessing targets and that I was close to moving on a few targets.

Then AFC Wimbledon Chairman Erik Samuelson called to congratulate me. I'll always have a soft spot for the Dons and I realize now that Erik was between a rock and a hard place and had no choice but to fire me considering the media firestorm.

Then Esteban called. Cadiz were in the play-offs yet again. But Spanish El Segundo's insane play-off format meant they had to get through three layers of play-offs to actually achieve promotion. He wasn't very hopeful, but I promised that I'd attend a few of the matches.

Last edited:
Friday, 8 May 2015

Graziano and I drove over to Varese (the far side of Milan from Bologna) for the Varese-Modena match. It's a play-off six pointer. The sides are 7th and 6th in the Serie B table respectively.

Varese opened the scoring in the 14th. They were looking like they were going to win. Then Varese put the ball into their own net in the 69th. In the 82nd Modena took the lead but Varese responded immediately with a tying goal in the 84th.

View attachment 296896

Last edited:
View attachment 296895Saturday, 9 May 2015

View attachment 296894

We trained once per day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We were relaxed and both sides realized this match didn't matter ... so why work hard?

Francesco Migliore bagged his first for his new club then the other fullback, Luca Ceccarelli, bagged another. How often does that happen?

We were cruising when Lanciano pegged us back and made a game of it. We pulled away in extra time when Lanciano were pushing for an equalizer.

The interesting results are Bari are out of the relegation zone with their victory over Livorno. As Livorno don't have a chance of challenging for the automatic spot, this was probably a tough game to get up for.

Perugia lost at home to Virtus Entella while Ternana drew away. This means Ternana goes second and Virtus Entella are out of the relegation zone. With two games left, who is going to win the automatic spot and join us in Serie A?

View attachment 296893

View attachment 296892

Last edited:
Back