Sunday, 10 May 2015

Juventus win both the Coppa Italia and Serie A with 3 matches to spare. That's their fourth Scudetto in a row.

Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, Andrea Pirlo, Paul Pogba, Arturo Vidal, Fernando Llorente and Carlos Tevez led the Grand Old Lady to their 31st title (33rd if you're among the minority who believe they fixed matches).

I watched. Gulp. We're going to be playing them next season. Twice.

The only comfort is that is we're going to play Cagliari, Sassuolo, Empoli, Atalanta, Palermo, Verona and two other newly promoted teams as well. Twice. We'll have a chance against them. Nick a few points here and there off the bigger clubs and who knows.

It's confirmed that Cesena, Chievo Verona and Parma are relegated.

Now that you're in the series A that means you have a whole host of players you can loan for the season.

You should channel your inner Italian mafioso and snipe some talent from one of the relegated clubs.

Now that you're in the series A that means you have a whole host of players you can loan for the season.

You should channel your inner Italian mafioso and snipe some talent from one of the relegated clubs.
I'm looking to steal away some talent from the relegated clubs (and some clubs that didn't get promoted), but I don't want to pay huge salaries for guys that weren't able to keep their clubs up. I'm also scouting some players who are just as good but would be less expensive.

To continue on the point that Nomad Ekaria raised, do I sign players, loan them, what?

Here's a perfect example, Gabriel Palleta of Parma. He'll obviously be available. He's a talented, solid center back. He's fast enough, strong and reads the game well. But here's the down side: he's 29 and will demand a large salary. His profile says he's worth EU6.25M. I imagine that he has a relegation clause that releases him. If so, he might be available for 4-5M. Otherwise, I'd be forking out 10M or thereabouts for a guy couldn't lead Parma to safety.

View attachment 296667

Whereas, several of the players I'm scouting would come cheaper and be younger. Take Dedrik Boyata for example. I could pick him up for under a million euros my scouts tell and when I sold him, I'd make a huge profit. Honestly, I don't see much difference between the two skill-wise and mentality-wise.

View attachment 296665

View attachment 296648Tuesday, 12 May 2015 9pm-ish

"Andrea, how was your flight?" I asked. "Alberico, I hope the limo ride from Milan was good?"

We all shook hands and sat down in the back of my favorite restaurant. I'd flown Andrea Russotto up from Catanzaro, Calabria and had a limo service pick up his agent outside of Milan. I wanted to make sure Andrea wanted to play for the Rossoblu. We'd spent a considerable amount of time scouting him and if tonight went well, we'd pull the trigger on buying him. It was a bit complex, Parma co-owned him but our scouts were pretty confident we could get the whole deal done for around EU 2 million.

"This is my favorite restaurant and I can testify that it's all good," I said as they looked over their menus.

"Antonio sends his greetings," I said once we'd ordered. I bought Antonio Vacca from Catanzaro in January.

"Hah, yes," Andrea said. "We've stayed in contact."

"Well, let's get right to it," I said after we'd exchanged a few more pleasantries. "Andrea, I believe that you are absolutely wasted in Serie C but I couldn't afford to buy you this January. I love your flamboyant style on the wing and I brought you here to talk about my vision and philosophy here at Bologna."

"First, we pressure high up the pitch, defend from the front in a rather English manner," I continued.

"I love watching the Premier League in England," he interjected. "You managed in London, right? Wimbledon?"

"Yes, right, so you've got the idea of the aggressive harassing I want my forward players to do," I said. "We keep the ball a lot. I think we'll be able to hold our own initially in Serie A possession-wise and eventually begin to keep the ball once we're not over-awed any longer. I play with three forwards. A central striker and two wingers. The wingers are responsible for marking the fullbacks. You're okay doing that?"

"Sure, I guess," he shrugged. I'm guessing he'd never been asked to.

"One of the reasons I want you in my side is that you bring a level of determination I really admire," I continued. "You play with a hunger and I'm trying to fill the team with players cut from the same cloth. Or youth team players who I coached when I managed the youth team. Do you have any questions I can answer? Anything you or Alberico want to talk about?"

Our first course arrived.

"Antonio says that you are a cruel man on the training pitch," Andrea said. "Morning practice, lunch then afternoon practice."

"Yes, that I am," I replied and gave him my smile that I've been told scares people.

"I don't mean to speak poorly of my manager," he said. "But it's very different and laid back with him and he doesn't really do much teaching or anything. Not like you. Or that's at least according to Antonio."

"Well, I'm intense and I want my squad to be very intense and unpleasant to play against," I replied. "I demand a very high level of fitness. We got a dietician to make sure you're eating right, yoga to prevent injuries, an acupuncturist, a chiropractor. You've seen the facilities at Casteldelbole, right?"

"Yes, Graziano showed us everything," Andrea replied. "Very nice."

"Me and my coaches want you to know why we're doing a drill," I continued. "We want you to completely understand our system and how we'll implement it with you in the starting eleven. We want your training to be intense, focused and productive. If you become a better player, think better, think quicker, react better, read the game better, we win more games. At the Serie A level, we need to out-think our opponents. I want you prepared for any situation you might face so you can create the best solution."

"Acupuncture?" he asked.

"Never had it?" I asked. He shook his head no. "It doesn't hurt at all. The acupuncturist places the needle in a spot that will, for example, force the muscle to expand and relax allowing any toxins or lactic acid to flow out. You feel GREAT afterwards. I wished I'd gotten some when I was still playing. It might've extended my career."

"I've got a question for you," I said. "I've got a pack of boys and young men coming through with huge potential. Wingers. I expect you to work with them, mentor them and that sort of thing. Any problems with that?"

"No, not at all," he replied.

"Alberico, any questions or anything you'd like to say?" I asked.

"No, I'm good," he said. "I've told your scouts what we'd want for compensation so I'll be ready to talk once Parma and Catanzaro have agreed to fees."

Last edited:
View attachment 296647Friday, 15 May 2015

View attachment 296646

We did a great job of holding Modena at bay and punishing them on the counter. They needed to win this match to secure their play-off status. Cacia's goal took a deflection off the defender but Casarini's goal was a splendid example of the art of counter attacking. Modena's goal was a exquisitely struck free kick from 30 meters that went in off the post with a minute and a half left.

We win the Derbie Dell'Emilie twice this year. The fans definitely love these victories. Now all the Rossoblu's get to sit back, gloat a bit and see how the rest of the play-off contenders fare tomorrow.

Last edited:
View attachment 296622Saturday, 16 May 2015

A whole bunch of matches with promotion play-off implications. Only 4 points separate 4th from 9th. 3rd through 8th enter a six team play-off for the final promotion spot.

View attachment 296621

4th place Catania host 7th place Vicenza; Vicenza need a win to stay in the play-off positions. Avellino visits relegated Crotone. A win and they're in the play-off positions. Livorno host Varese; Varese have been steadily sliding down the table and they will want to stop the slide and secure a play-off position but Livorno need some points as well. Ternana host Pescara and Perugia visit relegated Trapani. Ternana and Perugia will want wins in their battle for the final automatic promotion spot.

View attachment 296619

View attachment 296617

View attachment 296546Sunday, 16 May 2015

Bologna President Albano Guaraldi texted me on Sunday morning that he wanted to meet and discuss a new contract for me. I texted Luca, my agent, to see if he could meet. Luca was finishing a long explanation of his strategy for negotiating with Guaraldi as we rolled up to the Casteldelbole gates.

"My Little Devil," Enzo said. "What are you doing here on a Sunday afternoon? Who's this?"

"Enzo meet Luca, Luca meet Enzo," I said. "He's my agent."

"Ahh, so it's time to try and pry a few extra coins out of Guaraldi's coin purse, eh?" Enzo replied. "Good luck with that. If it's a good idea, the man is stingier than your mother with candy. The word is that staff aren't getting any raises or bonus this year and that, in fact, the club has lost money despite winning the Serie B. Anyway, I will say some prayers on your behalf. Go with God."

The complex was strangely deserted. I was used to this in the early morning when I arrived but not in the middle of the afternoon. I parked in front of the offices rather than near the locker room and we strolled in.

"Gia, how are you," I greeted Guaraldi's assistant. "I'm sorry to have dragged in here on my account on such a beautiful day."

"I'll never forgive you, Enrico," she muttered.

Luca raised his eyebrow. We strolled into the board room.

"She was kidding," I said. "I've sent her and several of the women employees on shopping sprees with Gwen. Gwen and I picked up the bill. They love me."

"You are a sneaky spawn of unwed parents, aren't you?" Luca said as he slouched down into a chair. "Undercutting Guaraldi at every opportunity. I love it."

We heard the outside doors open and then Guaraldi and the Director of Football Roberto Savoia entered the board room.

We all shook hands and exchanged pleasantries as would be expected.

"First off, I must say once again that I'm so pleased with your work," Guaraldi began. "There is nothing like winning to fix a club's problems. And we all know I do appreciate not having my name chanted from Curva Bulgarelli. And the protests. I must not forget the protests."

"Don't go and let Noam go though," I said. Noam, as you may or may not recall, is the former Israeli Massad agent currently running security for the club. "I've still got to keep us in Serie A next season."

We all chuckled at my joke.

"Here's the board's offer," Guaraldi said sliding a folder across the table. Luca and I both looked it over. It didn't take long. It was for a three year deal for the same EU 5,750 per week I receive right now. No bonuses at all. I made sure I had no expression on my face. I just looked up at Luca.

"Most Serie A managers make far more and have bonuses tied to their clubs performance," Luca said. "We aren't going to ask for Juve or Roma level wages and bonuses, but any contract would need bonuses and a fair wage. After all, Enrico has stabilized a really flammable situation and brought unprecedented success. The club has never won Serie B and Enrico won it running away. You've taken his recommendations for cup competitions and community appearances and have made a decent amount more income. I would think that you would want to show your appreciation."

"What kind of terms would you be thinking of," Guaraldi said.

"Let's start with 10,000 per week salary," he replied. "25,000 for avoiding relegation, 20,000 for reaching the Coppa Italia finals and another 20,000 for winning it. Atalanta's Zaccheroni is on 15,000, Cagliari's Zeman is on 29K, Sampdoria's Mihajlovic is on 43K, Udinese's Strammaccioni who is also a young manager is on 21.5K. I don't think these demands are out of step nor unreasonable."

"Yet, we cannot accept them," Guaraldi said. "We must remain financially prudent."

"Really?" Luca said. "You'd risk losing the manager that stabilized the club and added the Ali della Vittoria to the Bologna trophy cabinet? First trophy in sixteen years. Listen, Albano, we're not here to commit highway robbery. I'm not asking for Real Madrid or PSG wages here. We'll accept 7K weekly and halve all the bonuses."

"We cannot do that," Guaraldi replied. "You have our offer."

Luca put a hand on my arm as he stood up. I followed his lead and rose.

"Please contact me when you are prepared to offer a reasonable contract," Luca said.

I followed him out of the room.

OH **** Its going to get dangerous around here. Lucas a stone cold fox but a good guy for walking away. I can't wait to see what happenes next.

View attachment 296438Tuesday, 18 May 2015

Parma wanted EU 1.2M and Catanzaro were willing to take another million from us for another of their players. Now I just had to fly Andrea Russotto up here and he'd be a Bologna player. The negotiations weren't surprising. His agent demanded a huge fkn fee and wouldn't budge on the release clause. Oh well, I was going to get my man and for a decent price. There would be others that would be steals.

View attachment 296439

Now I'm blushing. Thank you very much!

I must admit I'm surprised by your win of Serie B, the maximum wage rule really caused be big problems and I couldn't finish 1 season. You must just be a better player than me!

Serie B Final Match Day

View attachment 296332Friday, 22 May 2015

As I sat on the bench, I kept checking my mobile to keep up on the scores.

Avellino drew first blood against Catania. Then a moment later, Modena scored against Latina to give themselves a chance to join Avellino in the play-off picture. Then in the 24th minute, Lanciano scored to kick Perugia out of the automatic promotion spot and gift it to Ternana. I might not pay too much attention to my squad's play ... as if it mattered.

The next action I got to see live. Daniele Cacia tumbled over in the box and the ref pointed to the penalty spot. Matthias Lepiller grabbed the ball and slammed the PK into the top right corner of the net.

Then it went quiet for a dozen minutes until Gennaro Troianiello fed a pass into the feet of Cacia who condemned Livorno to defeat. There wasn't much of a chance of us giving up two would there?

After we got done celebrating, I noticed that Lanciano was making Perugia's evening a nightmare. Ternana were going up withstanding a miracle in Umbria. Then Avellino made sure they were in the play-offs with two quick goals.

As we were walking off the pitch for halftime, Latina evened up the score against Modena and Frosinone scored to threaten Vicenza's hope of the play-offs.

The second half began quietly and it wasn't until the 52nd minute that Varese scored. Like it mattered, Varese were in the play-offs regardless at this point. Catania pulled a goal back against Avellino and then a few minutes later another.

The final bit of interest was in Bari. It looked like Bari were going to escape the relegation play-out match with their 0-0 draw against Ternana. Ternana were going up and both teams just needed to see out the match to achieve what they wished from the match.

Then as our extra time was winding down, I noticed that Ternana had scored! Bari would have yet another nail-biter match yet to play.

View attachment 296334

View attachment 296333

Well I am already looking forward to your next season...can't stop admiring this story...a huge fan...