Sunday, 14 April 2024

Schalke spanked Nürnberg to move into 9th. Eintracht's chances of getting into Europe are toast. They face Gladbach and Bayern in their next two matches. Kaiserslautern's chances are looking better as we face the lowest placed clubs of any of the contenders.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 4.30.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 10.24.09 AM.png

Tuesday, 16 April 2024

10:15am

My phone buzzed. I pulled it out and looked at it.

"HOLD ON! HOLD ON!" I bellowed. The midfielders stopped their drill. "ULF! JÖRG!"

The other training groups stopped their drills.

"I'VE GOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT!" I yelled. "THE DFB RELEASED THE TEAM OF THE WEEK! AND ... AVDO SPAHIC MADE IT THIS WEEK!"

A cheer went up from the various training groups.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 2.44.04 PM.png

Wednesday, 17 April 2022

Captain Jean Zimmer dropped out of today's first training session for defending wide. He thought he might have pulled his groin. He walked into the Fritz-Walter gingerly.

A half an hour later Head Physio Agnieszka Tobiasz-Kolodziej texted me that he'd be out three to five weeks with a hernia.

At the next break, I walked over to the defenders group.

"Hey, Neco," I said to Liverpool-loanee Neco Williams in English. "Zim is out for a while. Hernia. You'll be the starting right back for a while."

"I got you, gaffer," he replied. "I'll do the business."

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.22.50 PM.png

Friday, 19 April 2024

9:29am

It was supposed to be a light workout focusing on teamwork. Supposed to be. Shakur Omar, Muhammed Kiprit, Harry Chapman, Billy Arce, newly promoted youth player Nico Köse, and Lorenzo Campana were perhaps going at their 4v2 passing square with a wee bit too much enthusiasm.

Harry yelped and tipped over.

The ball trickled away and everyone gathered around.

"F***! S***!" Harry swore in English. "Me groin. S***."

When he felt like it, we helped him up, and he hobbled off towards the Fritz-Walter and the sick room.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.05.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 6.51.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 6.52.00 PM.png

A rainy and coolish afternoon. The Fritz-Walter was not particularly full. I get it, who wants to see Nürnberg in the rain. Not many Nürnberg supporters either as less than 3k were in the away corner.

With Harry hurt, Shakur Omar moves out to left forward and Lorenzo Campana is the target man. Oliver Hüsing keeps his spot partnering Boris Tomiak after his solid display last week. Nico Köse makes the bench and will likely get some late minutes if things go according to plan.

They did. Mostly.

We had a nifty little passing play straight up the middle with Shakur flicking a back heel into the path of the hard-charging Marlon Ritter.

Ritter got to the ball before their keeper and poked it past him.

FCK 1-0 FCN

Nürnberg players were left yelling at each other. Most were caught ball-watching.

Ritter played in Billy in the 28th minute, but he blazed high.

"Check this s*** out," Jörg said into my ear in the 42nd minute then held up his iPad for me to see. "Freiburg are f***ing destroying Köln 3-0."

A minute later, Ritter played Oliver Batista-Meier through but two defenders quickly caught him. Oliver set up Neco Williams for a shot, but, like Billy, he blasted high.

We won a penalty not long after the restart. Campana took a throw in out left from Neco. He controlled it on his thigh, spun and whipped in a cross. Shakur Omar jumped flailing his arms and the cross sailed over his head. The ref blew his whistle and pointed to the spot.

The Nürnberg players surrounded the ref protesting.

Billy grabbed the ball and waited for everything to calm down. Then the ref jogged over to look at the midfield monitor. After a quick look, he stepped back onto the field and pointed at the spot.

Billy calmly slotted it into the side netting.

FCK 2-0 FCN

Here's where the problems started to set in.

Hüsing and Tomiak began launching long balls forward instead of trying to pass out of the back. Often they'd have shorter options. This just meant that Nürnberg started to pin us back in our end.

Now, I'm not saying we didn't make forays into the opposition end. We did. We created some nice chances, but the overall play was trending towards my central defenders hoofing it long to nobody in particular.

In the 65th, I took of Boris. Agnieszka had given me specific instructions that he was to play a maximum of 75 minutes. I sent Josua Mejias with instructions to pass it short.

In the 70th minute, I sent Nico Köse on for his debut. He got a nice roar from the Westkurv.

In the 87th, we finally paid for our inability to pass the ball out from the back and maintain possession. Avdo Spahic had made yet another save and Nürnberg had a corner. They whipped in a second post corner and 1.74 Nico Köse got outjumped by 1.90m Lukas Mai. Mai thumped his header into the net.

FCK 2-1 FCN

That woke my players up and they mostly kept possession for the remainder of the match. We were up to 6th because Freiburg clobbered Köln 5-1!

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.20.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.21.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.30.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Sunday, 21 April 2024

A wet Saturday turned into a gorgeous spring Sunday. After breakfast, Gwen and I took Matthew and Allison to a nature park for a walk. Then we went out to lunch. We made it home in plenty of time for me to watch Leverkusen draw with Mainz. Gladbach ended any Euro hopes for Frankfurt.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.59.23 PM.png

Our Euro hopes look good. I have hope that we can pick up points against Stuttgart and Wolfsburg. I doubt Freiburg can beat Dortmund even though they play them at home. I doubt Köln will beat Dortmund either.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.52.45 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.48.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.48.33 AM.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Tuesday, 24 April 2024

Marlon Ritter made the Bundesliga Team-Of-The-Week.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 10.27.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.45.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.46.28 AM.png

Its the derby against our eastern neighbors. It seems like there are 10k Roten Teufel in the away corner. They are loud. Also, we finally play a match without rain. Its a cool evening for spring which is ideal for Fußball. Muhammed Kiprit had a good week in training and Lorenzo Campana didn't, so Muhammed gets the start up top.

Stuttgart pin us back and create three great chances within the first three minutes.

"WAKE UP!" I scream. "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"

Somehow we miraculously survive the first 20 minutes without giving up a goal.

We create our first attack in the 32nd minute, but Billy Arce ends it by straying offsides.

In the 37th, they whip in their one millionth cross. Its to the back post. Their winger's header hits the post, hits Avdo Spahic, hits the post and lands on the goal line. Spahic spins and flops on it.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.13.18 AM.png

In the 46th, we finally have possession in the Stuttgart half. Marlon Ritter, Matej Mach and Julian Niehues are playing keep-away out on the left side. They eventually work the ball inside and Oliver Batista-Meier slips a pass into the path of Shakur Omar.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.24.45 AM.png

Shakur somehow rounds the keeper and rolls the ball into the net!

STU 0-1 FCK

Our first real attack results in a goal! The Roten Teufel in the opposite end go bonkers. Their cheers echo around the silent Mercedes Benz Arena.

"F***, that was s***," Jörg mutters as we trudge off at halftime.

"Ja, we were f***ing lucky," I said.

I tell the players we need to defend better. I tell them to mark tighter out on our flanks.

The second half starts out as I feared. Stuttgart pin us in our own half and we only hoof the ball forward. This means our opponents just reorganize and bring the ball back into our end.

In our first foray upfield, Billy blazes high from the edge of the box at exactly 58:00.

In the 60th, Neco Williams does absolutely nothing to prevent a cross. He's not even within 10m of their left winger. I tell Jörg to get Josua Mejias ready. I need someone to play defense on our right flank. Mejias goes on in the 64th.

Avdo Spahic is the only reason we are still in the game. Each save is more desperate and more amazing than the last.

Ritter and Omar both have their shots blocked in the 66th minute in only our second time deep in the Stuttgart half.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 7.40.01 AM.png
They clear the resulting corner and Oliver Hüsing gets to the rebound. He's posted up, NBA-style, at the edge of the box. He's just trying to hold off his man in hopes that a teammate will come over and give him a passing option. Instead the Stuttgart defender goes right through him, taking out his ankles.

The. Ref. Is. Standing. Right. F***ing. There. And. Doesn't. F***ing. Blow. His. F***ing. Whistle.

"He went through the back and took out his ankles!" I scream as I sprint over to the fourth official.

"Clearly, Daniel didn't see a foul," the fourth official says.

"How?" I ask. "Hüsing's a big man. There is simply no way to get around him. He just kicked his f***ing ankles out."

"Watch your language, Enrico," is all I could get out of the fourth official.

Ritter looks knackered, so I replace him with teenager Nico Köse in the 69th. Nico promptly gets booked.

I send on Harry Chapman for Billy in the 75th. That was the magic trick. Suddenly, Stuttgart are out of ideas and the match devolves into a midfield slog.

In the 89th, Niehues plays a nifty pass forward for Köse. Nico sprints onto it and just as he enter the penalty box, the Stuttgart defender clips his ankles.

"PENALTY!" the entire away corner roars!

Köse lays on the turf looking at the ref. The ball trickles over the end line. The ref puts his hand to his ear.

And points to the spot!

Muhammed Kiprit jogs over and picks up the ball. While Muhammed cannot score from open play this season, he never misses PKs.

STU 0-2 FCK

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.58.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.58.53 AM.png

Saturday, 27 April 2024

I invited Jörg Weber and Ulf Kirsten over to watch the matches. I also wanted to talk tactics. In the last few matches, we increasingly relied on long balls out of the back. I wanted to brainstorm how we can begin passing out of the back again.

We had Wolfsburg v. Schalke on the television as we played Wolfsburg next week. I had Union Berlin v. Freiburg on my laptop on the coffee table. Jörg had Leverkusen v. Hertha on his laptop. Ulf had Freiburg v. Bayern on his.

"We could buy a large center forward in the summer," Ulf suggested.

Jörg and I nodded.

"Lets f***ing change our setup," Jörg said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Narrow," Jörg replied.

Bayern scored against Frankfurt. The rout was surely on!

"Julien sits in front of the defense," Jörg said. "Then Marlon, Billy, and Oliver in the middle. Two forwards."

"Pressing forwards?" Ulf asked. Jörg nodded. "Like Shakur and Harry? Because they're fast?" Jörg nodded again.

"That would provide plenty of passing options out of the back," I added.

"Ja, and the outside midfielders would slide out to help the fullback on defense," Jörg said.

"High line?" I asked.

"Ja," both Jörg and Ulf agreed.

So as we watched the matches, here's what we worked out.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.13.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.14.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.14.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 8.14.49 AM.png

Frankfurt shocked the world and came from behind to defeat the champions! The other shocker was a banana peel; Union Berlin trounced Freiburg. Freiburg's freefall down the table continues. Bayer Leverkusen beat Hertha to move into sixth. Wolfsburg beat Schalke.

Gwen made curry chicken for the Leipzig v. Gladbach match.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.05.04 AM.png

Strasbourg.jpg
Sunday, 28 April 2024

We drove to Strasbourg in France. I didn't even watch the matches. Köln's slide down the table continues and Hoffenheim shocked Dortmund. The weather was gorgeous and so is Strasbourg.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.17.58 AM.png

Monday, 29 April 2024

2:15pm

I'd left my office inside Fritz-Walter right after lunch. I'm reading to Matthew when my phone buzzes. Its ATK.

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Its Agnieszka," my Head Physio said.

"I know. Who got injured?"

"Its not exactly an injury," she replied. "Its Nico. He's got food poisoning."

"Ooh, nasty. Did he have the soup? It looked ghastly."

"No, the lasagna."

"Really?," I said. "I had the lasagna, too."

"You feeling okay?"

"Never better."

"Well, he'll by out a few days. He's young so he might be back tomorrow. You never can tell with these boys."

"Ciao."

"Wiedersehn."

Click.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.56.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Tuesday, 30 April 2024

Avdo Spahic was Man-Of-The-Match, but can't make the Team-Of-The-Week because Union Berlin took it over. Boris Tomiak managed to, though. Sometimes, I don't get it.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.55.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.24.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.25.22 PM.png

28,000 or so people bought tickets, 15,000 or so club members showed up for an absolute snorefest in the mist. The weather didn't cooperate for our final home match of the season and neither did the players.

We're safely in 5th and Wolfsburg are safe from relegation so I guess it doesn't matter.

As I stood on the sidelines, I reflected back that maybe training hadn't been as intense as I like it. I mean, I get it. Its a long f***ing season and we've shocked Germany by qualifying for a European place. Euro Cup here we come.

Here's what made me grumpy: Hertha were drawing with Mainz. If we could have won, we could maybe sneak into the Champion's League with a good result next week.

The other match of note is that Schalked thrashed Bayer Leverkusen with two second half goals. We play Bayer next week.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.21.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.22.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.42.48 PM.png

Monday, 6 May 2024

12:30ish

"Hi, Enrico. Hi, Thomas," Chief Scout Olaf Marschall said as Technical Director Thomas Hengen and I barged into this office. "Did you two drink one too many espressos at lunch?"

"Why do you ask?" I said.

"The burning eyes," he replied. "Either you've got some juicy gossip or you want to spend some money and need my help."

"The latter," Thomas said.

"Please have a seat," Olaf gestured to the chairs in his office. "How may I help?"

"I told Enrico over lunch that we're going to get a huge payout for finishing in the European places," Thomas said. "In excess of 50k in my estimation. Maybe as high as 70k. So we're finally going to have a legitimate transfer budget."

"Yeah, it sure beats having to sell office furniture to be able to afford a 3.Liga right back," Olaf quipped. "So what do you want?"

"A lot," I said.

"He's got a laundry list," Thomas added.

"Its a twofold problem," I said. "First, I need to do the rebuild I wanted to do last summer but didn't have much money. Second, I need a bigger squad to handle Europe, the league, and a DFB Pokal run." Olaf smiled and nodded that I should continue. "Alright. Two more center backs. I need them big and fast. I'm done with Silva and Matej Mach will be a solid backup; I need a starting left back. Zimmer isn't good enough defensively, so I'll need a right back."

"In the midfield, I'll need a back up for Julian. He can't play every f***ing match like this season. Since we're going for a three central midfield pairing, um ... I mean ... three central midfielders ... I'll need three more central midfielders. I figure Ritter has two more seasons left. Um ... at forward, I'll need three. They'll need to be tireless runners. I want to press hard and high next season. I'm going to sell Kiprit. He's too slow and he didn't score this season."

"That's well and good, Enrico," Olaf said to me then swung his gaze over to Thomas. "But what about my budget, Thomas? Am I going to have a budget big enough to scout outside of the Black Forest?"

"Ja, Olaf," Thomas chuckled. "You'll be getting a generous budget."

"Then I will find you some players," Olaf said. "Are you going to buy Shakur Omar from Atalanta?"

"We'll try," I replied. "Or at least loan him for another season. If we do that we have a good chance of getting him for free come January."

Tuesday, 7 May 2024

12:09pm

"F**! We'll have some s*** to spend?" Jörg said.

"Ja, for real," I said. I got up and shut the door to my office. Jörg raised an eyebrow. "We need to talk about who is good enough to stay."

"Ja," Jörg agreed. "I hope I am."

"No, not staff you big daft f***," I said. "Although, I do have a small problem. They cut the number of coaches to nine from ten back in February. So I'm going to be moaning to the board constantly about that. I expect they'll relent at some point. All it means is that getting all of you new contracts will be tricky. I'll get it done. I'm their golden boy, I don't think they really want to f*** with me."

"Ja, cool," Jörg said. "Silva's gone then?"

"Ja, he gives me nightmares," I said. "I mean, our defense is bad. Only teams in relegation danger have let in more."

"When we lose, we lose big," Jörg sad. "Its maddening."

"So I wanted to get your thoughts on the squad."

"No worries at keeper," Jörg said. "Boris is good. Krahl is acceptable. I'm not so sure about Josua."

"Ja, me too ... I'm looking at buying two new central defenders," I said. "New fullbacks on either side." Jörg nodded.

"Backup for Julian?" Jörg said. I nodded in agreement. "What about Billy?"

"That's a good question. He has squandered so many good chances this season. I guess it all depends upon how our recruitment goes, eh?"

"But Oliver is the s***," Jörg said. "He's for real. But Klingy is done, right?"

"Ja, sadly Rene Klingenburg's time is done. I'll be releasing him in the summer."

"Great f***ing guy, though. We'll all miss him."

I nodded.

"What teenager will step up?" I said. "Ilhan Yavuz is really close. So is Nico Köse."

"I'm not as big of a fan of Nico as you are," Jörg. "Boy can't score."

"Speaking of scoring," I said. "We need more than Shakur Omar scoring. I'm going to recruit three more strikers."

"What about our Brits?" Jörg asked.

"Good question," I replied. "I don't think Harry Chapman is Bundesliga quality. And like Billy, Matty Longstaff has squandered so many great chances to score. He was a short-term solution, I don't think he's a long-term solution. And I am still unconvinced by Neco Williams."

"And let me guess," Jörg said. "You're going to sign around a million to a million and a half teenagers?"

"Around that number," I replied.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 2.22.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 2.23.16 PM.png

Pretty cold spring afternoon in Leverkusen. Only 3,000 Roten Teufel were allowed in. The Leverkusen supporters were in fine form as they needed a win and help from Hertha. If Hertha beat Schalke (6th place) and they beat us, Bayer Leverkusen were in Europe next season.

At the other end of the table, Mainz needed to beat Union Berlin and they needed Stuttgart to lose to Borussia Monchengladbach. So Mainz's hopes were slim.

Hertha scored within 5 minutes about the same time that Marlon Ritter poked a through ball under their keeper to put us in the lead.

Unfortunately, our defense collapsed and we behind by the 24th minute. Josua Mejias was to blame for both and I replaced him at about 28 minutes with Oliver Hüsing.

Jörg told me after Bayer scored two more that Hertha were up 3-0 on Schalke.

So Leverkusen were in Europe.

Borussia Monchengladbach scored against Stuttgart so Mainz had a lifeline.

And just after halftime, Mainz scored via Englishman Eddie Nketiah. Mainz were safe and Stuttgart would face the relegation playoff.

Bayer Leverkusen scored a third in the 63rd. Absolutely horrific defending.

But Stuttgart scored two quick goals (66th & 71st) to take the lead over Gladbach. Mainz wer back in the relegation zone.

Our defensive collapse was complete as we gave away two more goals allowing Bayer Leverkusen to leapfrog us into 5th.

F***!

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.22.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.23.16 AM.png

After I got done with the press, a stomped into the away training room. I hadn't decided how I was going address the loss. Maybe I should throw so s***? But for sure our collapse today needs to be addressed.

First person I see when I walk in is Jörg, glowering at the players as they sit morosely in various states of undress.

"You're just f***ing lucky we don't have any more f***ing training session," he growled.

Next to Jörg is Thomas Hengen, Sören Oliver Voigt and Chairman Reiner Keßler.

"Ja, you sure were s***," Reiner said. "But looks who is hear, looking angrier than a ... uh ... well, words fail me." Everyone turned to look as I tromped across the room and stood next to Jörg. "While you all deserve a good shouting after today's loss, I'm here to congratulate you on a great season. As board chair and as a lifelong supporter, I cannot ... I am once again rendered speechless by your accomplishments this season. You were supposed to battle relegation. And then get relegated. I would personally like to thank you all, everyone one of you, for getting us into a European place. Sören?"

"Ja, thanks Reiner," Sören, the Managing Director said. "The text just came through from the DFB. Our windfall for finishing sixth is €66.52 million."

"What this means for the club," Reiner continued. "is that we are now on very financially sound footing. We have brought the club back from the brink, the abyss. You have brought us back with your hard work on the training ground and in the league. So ... to say thank you, we are throwing a party for all staff and families tomorrow in the cafeteria."

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 3.19.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 1.35.35 PM.png
Sunday, 19 May 2024

7:24pm

"Your champagne, sir," the flight attendant said, proffering a fluted glass of something bubbly.

"I didn't ... but ..." I stuttered and took it.

"She did," she said and handed Gwen a fluted glass.

"Cheers, love," she said. We clinked. We swigged.

"Cheers, Daddy," Allison said. "You scraddy naddy patty squaddy."

"Dad?"

"Yes, Matthew."

"So ... like you'll play in ... you know ... Lithuania or Bulgaria and stuff ... next season?" he asked.

"Yeah, maybe," I answered. "Since when are you a geography wiz?" He smiled at me. "Could be anywhere. But, yeah, someplace obscure. Someplace hostile. It'll be great fun."

"Speaking of fun," Gwen said. "I banished you to the Arctic Circle as you may recall. And you discovered Type Two fun. Its almost three years on from your banishment. What say you, my Italian-American miracle worker?"

My phone buzzed that I'd received a text.

"Ha, its Luca wishing his congratulations," I said. "He says that the board want to discuss a new contract for me. Timing is everything."

"Yeah, his timing is always good," Gwen said.

"But to your question," I said. "Yes, I have had three years of Type Two fun. Lordy its been hard work. I don't think I'll ever drag a club back from the brink again, knock on wood." I rapped my knuckles on m head." I'll be honest and say that I was hoping for a good start and and then stealing points occasionally to get to safety this season. I did not expect those four wins in April that got us into Europe. I'm over the moon as you Brits might say. Um, wow. Yeah ..."

"Does it feel like the mountain top?" Gwen asked.

"We can see a long ways from up here," Allison said, peering out the window of the plane.

"In some ways, yes, it does," I replied. "But I can see several peaks yet to climb. And I think I want to climb them."