Al's 4-2-3-1: Possession, goals and clean sheets

Going to give it a try on version 11.2.1 with both Everton and Middlesbrough, I'll post results later.

sweet tactic

used it with newcastle

newcastle 3-2 chelsea
bolton 0-2 newcastle
man city 0-0 newcastle

Good stuff, some decent results there.

Going to give it a try on version 11.2.1 with both Everton and Middlesbrough, I'll post results later.

Thanks mate. Not sure if it will prove to be as effective on 11.2.1 but would love to hear :)

Good to see it's going well! How are you finding the defending? Have you noticed any silly goals being conceded or not? Thanks :)

These matches take place in the third season of football manager (2012-2013)

Aston Villa last year finished 10th my target is top half. I took over half way through last season and figured I'd stay on

My first game of this season after a decent pre-season period was Tottenham at White Hart Lane, I was battered 5-1 using the same tactic of 4-2-4 I did at the back end of last year, this prompted me to use this formation as I felt now I'd made additional signings it'd work better.

The screenshot regarded match preparation was taken directly after I set them to that particular formation. Notice I tend to experiment with a lot of different ones!

The signings I had recently made were

Suarez
Van Der Vaart
Few minor players aged 18-20

All others were at the club prior to the beginning of the season (For reference on blending and such)

The Team

The fluency

The first game using this tactic ended like this against

Second game and so on

So ignoring my first league game which wasn't this tactic (losing 4-1)

I've scored 17 and conceded 16 - I've found we take our chances very well but I'm always caught out attacking and one for one Dunne is just killed at the back. (He's not the covering player)

Having watched the vast majority of the goals conceded most are with the right fullback high up and ball played around the outside of the right centre back which happens to be Dunne. Davis has okay stats to cover but Dunne is often played down the line and because the line is soo high they have an angle near post - which very often beats Friedal at his near post.

Think I need a revamp there in January

I changed a few things during the time of 10 games, nothing major otherwise it'd scew the whole point of seeing how it works. Gabby poacher for example and it seems to be working just as well

I'm new to this btw the whole taking on a tactic and just trying it out. I just thought I'd try be a little detailed and if I'm doing anything wrong please feel free to tell me as afterall I would like to improve to!

Bournemouth ftw by the way

I gave this tactic a go on 11.2 and it proved to be very solid in defense. I found that my team was very weak in attack failing to score in 4 matches in a row, although it has pulled off a 4-0 win at it's best all other wins were by 1 goal or sometimes 2 goals.

using this tactic on chelsea. get a lot of shots but like half of that not on target, guess it normal.