Should we have Alternative Voting?

• Yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • A different system altogether.

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
Kinda missed all the bulk of the debate after playing FM last night.

True. :)

Analogy is the same though. It's still trading flawed system for flawed system, we just get to pay for privilege.

Yeah, except you're trading a flawed system for a less flawed, fairer system. Nobody is saying AV is perfect, it's just better than what we have at the moment.

Kinda missed all the bulk of the debate after playing FM last night.

Yeah, except you're trading a flawed system for a less flawed, fairer system. Nobody is saying AV is perfect, it's just better than what we have at the moment.

Cost of change + My dislike for Nick Clegg and Lib Dems > Slightly less flawed system.

This referendum is costing £80m itself, which will be taken off council budgets at the same time that they are already being massively cut. Seems like the wrong time to be doing this.

This referendum is costing £80m itself, which will be taken off council budgets at the same time that they are already being massively cut. Seems like the wrong time to be doing this.

Exactly. IF there is a good time for this then it certainly isn't now. Not that I think there is, but I'd be more open if we weren't in a time of austerity.

Cost of change + My dislike for Nick Clegg and Lib Dems > Slightly less flawed system.

The cost of change is really not that major considering it's a one off cost. And you'd put petty dislike of a single party over wholesale reforms for the better of the British political system? Jesus...

The cost of change is really not that major considering it's a one off cost. And you'd put petty dislike of a single party over wholesale reforms for the better of the British political system? Jesus...

It's still a major factor. Why not have the referendum at a time when the country isn't just coming out of recession, still threatened by a double dip and cuts are being made across the country? I also don't consider it making the political system that much better. A far more important agenda to the political system is getting people interested in politics again, because turnouts are still very low.

And yes, I consider it a worthy sacrifice if it means punishing Clegg. He pushed for it, and then he alienates the voters from which the system was supposed to benefit. Well played, Clegg. Plus the fact I don't even consider it a sacrifice, I'm fine with the system as it is for reasons I've outlined earlier. :)

It's still a major factor. Why not have the referendum at a time when the country isn't just coming out of recession, still threatened by a double dip and cuts are being made across the country? I also don't consider it making the political system that much better. A far more important agenda to the political system is getting people interested in politics again, because turnouts are still very low.

And yes, I consider it a worthy sacrifice if it means punishing Clegg. He pushed for it, and then he alienates the voters from which the system was supposed to benefit. Well played, Clegg. Plus the fact I don't even consider it a sacrifice, I'm fine with the system as it is for reasons I've outlined earlier. :)

Because we won't HAVE a referendum at any other time. The Lib Dems aren't going to win an election, and neither Labour nor the Conservatives want it (Labour say they do, but they have less to gain than the Lib Dems). We won't be having another referendum on this for ages, if ever, because it simply doesn't suit the parties in power to have it in. Getting people interested in politics is something completely separate.

Just don't vote for Clegg, for goodness sakes. He's already been punished as he's lost much of his base to alienation. Don't let your hate for Clegg colour your actions regarding something that will benefit us, the voters.

Can't believe I'm arguing with you over this. It's like watching the Green party condone the death penalty...

Because we won't HAVE a referendum at any other time. The Lib Dems aren't going to win an election, and neither Labour nor the Conservatives want it (Labour say they do, but they have less to gain than the Lib Dems). We won't be having another referendum on this for ages, if ever, because it simply doesn't suit the parties in power to have it in. Getting people interested in politics is something completely separate.

Just don't vote for Clegg, for goodness sakes. He's already been punished as he's lost much of his base to alienation. Don't let your hate for Clegg colour your actions regarding something that will benefit us, the voters.

Can't believe I'm arguing with you over this. It's like watching the Green party condone the death penalty...

There's a reason we won't be having it at any other time, because it's not worth it. There's nothing about AV that makes it so much better that its worth changing a political system that has worked for hundreds of years and still works today.

I don't like Clegg but that's got nothing to do with my opinion on this. FPTP works fine, AV could possibly work fine, better or worse, all we can do is guess. If it works better though it won't be that much of an improvement that warrants spending hundreds of millions of pounds.

It's a matter of opinion on what you think is best, therefore your going to get arguments. You can't expect us all to believe the same thing, that would be boring.

i tink dey shud do it liek da lottary

There's a reason we won't be having it at any other time, because it's not worth it. There's nothing about AV that makes it so much better that its worth changing a political system that has worked for hundreds of years and still works today.

I don't like Clegg but that's got nothing to do with my opinion on this. FPTP works fine, AV could possibly work fine, better or worse, all we can do is guess. If it works better though it won't be that much of an improvement that warrants spending hundreds of millions of pounds.

It's a matter of opinion on what you think is best, therefore your going to get arguments. You can't expect us all to believe the same thing, that would be boring.

Yes, there is. I said earlier the advantages.

All MPs would have the support of a majority of their voters. I read something about in last year's election two thirds of MPs didn't have majority support, which is ridiculous. It also hurts extremist parties (such as the BNP), who are unlikely to gain many second-preference votes, as well as eliminating the need for tactical voting. Electors can vote for their first-choice candidate without fear of wasting their vote. Finally, it encourages candidates to chase second- and third-preferences, which lessens the need for negative campaigning.

Just because we've had a system that just about works and has for hundreds of years doesn't mean we shouldn't change it. In fact, doesn't the fact that we've got a positive archaic voting system bother you at all?

I wasn't directing the Clegg comments at you at all, hence why I quoted Joel'. AV would work better, it is pretty well established, it's all to do whether we want to spend money to improve our voting system to make it fairer or not.

Yes, there is. I said earlier the advantages.

Just because we've had a system that just about works and has for hundreds of years doesn't mean we shouldn't change it. In fact, doesn't the fact that we've got a positive archaic voting system bother you at all?

I wasn't directing the Clegg comments at you at all, hence why I quoted Joel'. AV would work better, it is pretty well established, it's all to do whether we want to spend money to improve our voting system to make it fairer or not.

No it doesn't bother me, why fix something that isn't broke? Well not completely broken anyway, yes our system could be better but IMO AV isn't the way to go.

I know you weren't I was just trying to make it clear that my views on Clegg and AV are completely separate to each other. You can't know that for sure, admittedly we can't know that it would be any worse but no-one can say with 100% certainty that it would work better. It might be an utter failure or it might be a huge success, all we can do at the moment is guess and presented with the facts I guess that IF it is an improvement, which I highly doubt, it won't be one worth the cost.

I'm not exactly sure what the other 120 million is going on. The additional costs of counting? The extra people needed to handle the extra rounds of counting? The cost of "voted education"?I'd need to do more research to find out.

Ireland doesn't use AV, only Australia, Papua New Guinea and Fiji use it.
Im from Ireland and we use it except we call it Proportional representation. And the machines can count instantly and are again a long term cheaper option than counting by hand. and lol if you need education to understand AV. it is quite simple but i get the jist that the Conservatives are trying to make it sound over complicated so that they win the referendum.

If I were British I'd vote for reverting to absolute monarchy. I wouldn't mind being 'ruled' by Kate Middleton, tbh - as long as she's still young, that is.

Im from Ireland and we use it except we call it Proportional representation. And the machines can count instantly and are again a long term cheaper option than counting by hand. and lol if you need education to understand AV. it is quite simple but i get the jist that the Conservatives are trying to make it sound over complicated so that they win the referendum.

It is not AV though? Nick Clegg wanted PR but had to settle for AV instead because otherwise there would have been no coalition. AV was even forced on Nick Clegg, what does that tell you about it? Good on the machines, why don't you use them then if they're so much better? I'm not saying you need one, I disagree with the Tories on that, it's a lot simpler than people are making out but that doesn't make it better than FPTP.

If I were British I'd vote for reverting to absolute monarchy. I wouldn't mind being 'ruled' by Kate Middleton, tbh - as long as she's still young, that is.

Unfortunately Kate will never 'rule' us. She'll never be Queen in her own right, only ever Queen Consort, never Queen Regent.

It is not AV though? Nick Clegg wanted PR but had to settle for AV instead because otherwise there would have been no coalition. AV was even forced on Nick Clegg, what does that tell you about it? Good on the machines, why don't you use them then if they're so much better? I'm not saying you need one, I disagree with the Tories on that, it's a lot simpler than people are making out but that doesn't make it better than FPTP.

Unfortunately Kate will never 'rule' us. She'll never be Queen in her own right, only ever Queen Consort, never Queen Regent.

AV is essentially the same as PR except for the constituencies? We dont use the Machines because being Irish after buying the machines we decided it was more exciting to have to wait days for the votes to be counted and for the results to come through slowly like a Sky Sports soccer saturday. this way we could do massive build ups etc

And since I don't support a smaller party, nor does it benefit me. And getting people interested in politics costs money. So does this. The first is the most important, but we have more important issues than both.

It doesn't benefit us all. I'm fine with the system as it is. As you said, it won't benefit Labour/Conservative, so the supporters of those parties won't benefit. It's the supporters of the smaller parties and Lib Dems that want to bring this through, correct?

It doesn't make the majority of people support their MP at all. As I've said many times, I wouldn't be happy if my 2nd choice wins because my 1st choice didn't. Scott Parker may not have got more than 50% of the writer's choice vote. Does that mean he doesn't deserve the award? Imagine there's a United fan with a soft spot for Blackpool. If United lose that fan is still upset, even though his 2nd choice still won.

I'm saying that, each pub offers a completely different product, while it may still be beer. If we change it to "Lets have coffee or a coca-cola". If you give them a diet instead of regular. While you've given them coca-cola, you haven't necessarily given them the product they wanted. For all you know, if they'd wanted a diet coca-cola, they would have voted coffee. You see? You can't just ignore the possibility that the ones who wanted a beer at The Red Lion and get the Queen's Head, wouldn't have wanted coffee. This is my point. 2nd place isn't best, it isn't what the majority wanted. Because they came **** 2nd. Hence why I called it x-axis manipulation. You aren't voting for a beer and a coffee, otherwise we have a 2 party system and FPTP would have allowed beer to win. What we actually have is all of the different pubs and coffee shop as a party. I don't believe in having secondary and tertiary preferences. I have my view, and I stick to it. And I'll vote for the party that mostly closely represents my view. Do you go to a football match, watch your team lose and not care because your 2nd preference won the match? No, you're still unhappy. And I'd still be unhappy if my 2nd preference won, because I wanted my ****** 1st option.

But Joel you're missing the point of the ad. It is a hypothetical example. You can't criticize a hypothetical example for not being always universally correct or not playing out one way it could play out. The ad isn't trying to claim that this is always the case, that people voting Queen's Head would always choose another pub over coffee (which is why you are incorrect in accusing it of manipulating the x axis). The ad is simply taking an example from daily life that shows that it is possible for a very unpopular choice to win the plurality in a FPTP system. You can claim that maybe people would choose coffee over one of the pubs they didn't like, but first of all, in this scenario that's unlikely, since chances are, 70% of the people there wanted a beer and not coffee. But second and most importantly, that is completely irrelevant. In this ad we're assuming that this is the case. That 70% of the people were repulsed by the idea of coffee that late at night, and it won the plurality simply because the people were split among 4 other more reasonable choices. Remember, it's their hypothetical example, not yours! Let us assume that this is the case. The ad simply is demonstrating that this situation can happen in FPTP (a very unpopular choice winning the plurality of votes). It is not trying to state that this is always or even often the case, it is simply trying to demonstrate that this is a scenario that can happen under FPTP that could not happen under AV, and that that's what makes AV a better system.

Now, you could claim that this hypothetical example is extremely unusual, and that's cool, but that's a different argument. So argue that and instead of saying that the ad is BS because it's not, it brings up a valid point. As for the question of whether or not such a thing can happen (for example, a really unpopular choice such as coffee winning the plurality), I just provided a great example of when it did happen. Bill Sali was an awful candidate who got the plurality in the Republican primary and embarassed the state of Idaho (so much so that he ended up losing to the Democratic candidate, giving the Democrats an Idaho congressional seat for the first time in decades). The vast majority of the people wanted one of the 5 reasonable candidates, but they all split the reasonable votes (majority of the Republican population), and the wacko elected by the most conservative 26% of the Republican population in Idaho (and remember, Idaho is as conservative as it gets) gets elected because he had the plurality in FPTP. With FPTP, you can get someone like Bill Sali elected, but this CANNOT happen under AV. That's why I'd prefer AV to FPTP. If you can think of a scenario where AV elects a terrible candidate when that wouldn't happen under FPTP, than great, please do. But so far you haven't, which is why at the moment we're winning the debate.

As far as your claim that you don't like the idea of secondary and tertiary preferences, there's a few problems with that. First of all, may I ask why? I understand that you only want one football team to win, ManU, but politics isn't football. In real life, you don't have one candidate that you live and die for and have no preference among the other candidates. Surely you have preferences for who you would like to see elected. I'm guessing you'll vote for the Tory candidate in your district, but can you seriously claim that you have no preference between the Labor candidate and the Lib Dem (assuming your Tory won't win the election)? How about between the Lib Dem and the BNP candidate? How about between the Lib Dem and the candidate from the Green Party? Between the Lib Dem and the candidate from the British Anarchist Party?

Next, you can say that you personally don't like the idea of secondary and tertiary votes, but remember, you're not everyone. The vast majority of people might not have a problem with secondary and tertiary votes...why prevent them from expressing their political opinions more accurately because you personally don't like it? As we said before, no one is forcing you to vote for the second and third choices. If you don't have them, that's OK. But why restrict everyone else from being allowed to do so?

Also, you have stated at a few times that you wouldn't want to see AV because it would put certain people in power...surely this isn't the way to decide what voting system you should use. Shouldn't you decide which voting system is best based on which is best and not on whatever system your party benefits from at the moment? While it is true that the Tories, BNP, and British Communist Party benefit from FPTP at the moment (and the Liberal Democrats really don't and would benefit a lot from AV), that's only how it is at the moment, and in one decade, it could be the opposite. Maybe these groups would all get more representation with AV in the future. So you shouldn't decide that FPTP is the best just because it's good for the Tories/BNP at the moment.

Lastly, these points aren't even all that relevant because it's not about you or me. We're debating about which is a more effective method of democracy, of representing public opinion. It's not about whether or not you 'like' the idea of secondary and tertiary votes. Even if you don't like it, if it's proven that AV is a better method of expressing the will of the people, than wouldn't you concede that that's the voting system the UK should use? We shouldn't make the debate about what you or I like, it should be about what more accurately represents the will of the people. For the reasons I stated above, I believe AV more accurately represents the choices of the populace. Because in real life, people have preferences for certain candidates. It's politics, not football. They shouldn't be forced to vote strategically, and democracy is hurt by a FPTP system that often times splits the votes of the majority of the populace between a few reasonable candidates, giving one crazy guy the plurality.

Lastly, say we do decide that the idea of secondary and tertiary votes are a bad idea, than can't we use a run-off system? If there isn't a majority, than you eliminate the candidate with the fewest votes and vote again. You keep doing this until a candidate has a majority. At least under this system you have to get a majority to win. It provides the political system with legitimacy, since the candidates elected had the majority. It prevents Bill Sali from winning the election and the group of 10 from gettting coffee, when 7 of them really don't want to. Please tell me that you'd prefer this to FPTP? If not, why?

I swear to God Joel, one of these times there will be a debate and we'll be on the same side. :P

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Also, do you people really think it would cost billions to reform the electoral system???????? I call BS on that one. Even if it is fairly expensive, isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth paying more for a better form of democracy? I thought British people treasured their political system and took it seriously.

^ Possibly what he said, I got halfway through then gave up. :P

And since I don't support a smaller party, nor does it benefit me. And getting people interested in politics costs money. So does this. The first is the most important, but we have more important issues than both.

This isn't about sodding who you support, this is about fairness in the system. There's no point getting people interested in politics if it's an unfair system. Indeed, some people aren't interested in politics purely because of this unfairness.

It doesn't benefit us all. I'm fine with the system as it is. As you said, it won't benefit Labour/Conservative, so the supporters of those parties won't benefit. It's the supporters of the smaller parties and Lib Dems that want to bring this through, correct?

No, it's everyone apart from the Tories, the BNP and the BCP, as well as everyone who wants a fairer system. It does benefit us all, all us voters.

It doesn't make the majority of people support their MP at all. As I've said many times, I wouldn't be happy if my 2nd choice wins because my 1st choice didn't. Scott Parker may not have got more than 50% of the writer's choice vote. Does that mean he doesn't deserve the award? Imagine there's a United fan with a soft spot for Blackpool. If United lose that fan is still upset, even though his 2nd choice still won.

It means that the majority of people are happier with that person. If Scott Parker lost out to Berbatov under an AV system, more people thought Berbatov was deserving of the award, and he didn't polarise opinion as much as Parker.

If United lose, then they deserved to under this system.

Back