Anderson dragged clear of burning car

KidBlink56

I'm back, baby.
Reaction score
From The Guardian:

The Manchester United midfielder Anderson was dragged unconscious from the burning wreckage of his car after a crash yesterday morning that is now the centre of a police investigation in Portugal.

Anderson, signed for £18m three years ago, spent several hours in hospital after the accident on a rural road in the Geres area of Braga, with witnesses reporting he owed his life to being pulled "lifeless" from the vehicle shortly before it exploded.

According to local reports, the 22-year-old Anderson, increasingly becoming renowned for his partying lifestyle, had spent the night at the Sardinha Biba nightclub before leaving in a £125,000 Audi R8. The crash occurred at 7am when the high-powered car came off the road and hit the wall of a farm before flying into a field.

Although the French-registered car was a two-seater, Anderson had two companions – a friend, whose name was given only as Victor, and a young Brazilian woman, whose details have not been released. It is unclear who was driving but there were unconfirmed allegations it could lead to a drink-driving charge and a possible offence of allegedly having excess passengers. Manchester United were unavailable for comment tonight.

All three were taken to St Mark's hospital but discharged by late morning after being treated for concussion, whiplash and shock. "They had only minor injuries," a hospital spokesman, Roman Fresco, said. The woman is understood to have needed the most treatment.

The Portuguese press quoted the Gestifute agency, which represents Anderson, as saying the former Porto player had suffered an "almighty scare" but would be returning to Manchester to continue his rehabilitation. Anderson ruptured the cruciate ligament in his left knee in February, an injury that ended hopes of him participating in the World Cup, and he is not expected to be fit until next month at the earliest.

Whether Sir Alex Ferguson knows about the Brazilian's accident is unclear, but the United manager will inevitably be concerned that, at the very least, one of his players had spent the entire night at a nightclub, particularly when Anderson is recovering from a serious knee injury.

Ferguson's relationship with the player, signed from Porto in 2007, became strained last season and Anderson was reputedly fined two weeks' wages in January for returning to Brazil without the club's permission after an argument with the manager. Anderson, who has scored only once during his time at Old Trafford, had been singled out for criticism and dropped from the next match, following United's 2-1 defeat in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City. He was subsequently omitted for a month and it was in his comeback match, against West Ham United, that he damaged his knee.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Anderson's close friend and former United team-mate, wrote off a £200,000 Ferrari when he crashed into a roadside barrier in a tunnel near Manchester airport in January 2009. He was not injured and police decided not to prosecute the Portugal international.

wow big story, i hope he is well i really do.

hope he treats this as a big wake up call. im suprised at this, thought it was nani who had the weaker temprament

Alas, glad he is safe and well, but this seems to be more than just an accident, but more of an 'accident waiting to happen'.

He needs to sort his life out, personal and footballing, I know hes had injuries, but he needs to spend his time concentrating on getting fit and playing football, not going out on the lash.

but then again maybe he needs something like this to wake him up

Alas, glad he is safe and well, but this seems to be more than just an accident, but more of an 'accident waiting to happen'.

He needs to sort his life out, personal and footballing, I know hes had injuries, but he needs to spend his time concentrating on getting fit and playing football, not going out on the lash.
hes got a seriously bright future in the way we play, he could be throwing all that away, so idiotic

Good to see that all's good, he had an injury as it is.

OFF-TOPIC: I didn't know they paid 18M for him!

He went out on the lash and then drove himself?

Court case? Prison?

Court case? Prison?

With too many people in the car...

A good chance he could get a swift bumming for this.

Good to see that all's good, he had an injury as it is.

OFF-TOPIC: I didn't know they paid 18M for him!

18million is a modest estimate, the real figuire is more like 25million.

Hes been nothing like the talent he was before his knee injury at Porto, and at United he's been played out of position which hasnt helped his development. I hope Fergie isnt pinning his hopes on this guy.

Last edited:

Court case? Prison?

It says somewhere in the article that it wasn't clear who was driving. But I think it's plain that regardless of who was driving it is definitely a drink driving incident. Which is a shame, he's got a lot of talent. I hope this gets through to the lad.

wow he is one lucky guy being pulled out of his burning car minutes before it exploded

hope he gets well soon great player

hes got a seriously bright future in the way we play, he could be throwing all that away, so idiotic

Odds on him getting shifted on? Crazy that he still hasn't knuckled down.

Sounds like he's very lucky that no-one got killed.

18million is a modest estimate, the real figuire is more like 25million.

Hes been noting like the talent he was before his knee injury at Porto, and at United he's been played out of position which hasnt helped his development. I hope Fergie isnt pinning his hopes o this guy.
18 rising to 27 million based on apperances etc.
was chatting to zebedee on anderson he reckons ferguson has been playing him defensively to round out his skills as a player, almost like and intelligent box to box man. when you look at our midfield its clear that SAF has high hopes for him... but he is seriously not living up. I was hoping he'd sort himself out for a big comeback this season... but that looks far off

What an idiot. Hope this'll be the wake-up call he needs though :)

On a side note, his £125,000 Audi R8 blew up !?!? GUTTED !! :p

Odds on him getting shifted on? Crazy that he still hasn't knuckled down.

Sounds like he's very lucky that no-one got killed.
honestly, chances of him going are high now. if it handt been for his injury i think he could have gone this summer if performances hadnt improved. but this will infuriate ferguson to the Nth degree.

Wow, thats pretty serious.

Although, he only has himself to blame.

honestly, chances of him going are high now. if it handt been for his injury i think he could have gone this summer if performances hadnt improved. but this will infuriate ferguson to the Nth degree.

No question. He's ****** away any realistic chance of reaching his potential with United I think. With Sir Alex and the physical recuperation to deal with, this one moment of idiocy sure has stacked the odds against him.