Andre Villas-Boas appointed as Spurs Coach

• Thread starter Thread starter luko1234
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 6K
Not a question of not wanting him, he didnt have a choice in the matter, not as if he had any power to renege the deal.

Actually he did. The Lukaku deal stalled when AVB was appointed and only went through a couple of weeks later. Roman put full faith in AVB for making signings that could contribute to the first-team right away hence Oriol Romeu

I'll be worried about Spurs if AVB adapts to the team he has. Big mistake at CFC was playing the way he did at Porto with players that don't suit it, sign of a good manager is adapting and playing multiple ways.

I still think he's a class act but he was too naive at Chelsea and perhaps stubborn.

Everyone praises the likes of Rodgers and Martinez for sticking to their footballing principles and 'playing the right way' regardless of their situation. AVB is hired to change Chelsea's footballing philosophy to something akin to his, and he's criticised for doing that.

Everyone praises the likes of Rodgers and Martinez for sticking to their footballing principles and 'playing the right way' regardless of their situation. AVB is hired to change Chelsea's footballing philosophy to something akin to his, and he's criticised for doing that.

He needed to do it slowly and gradually instead of a sudden change. Plus he needed the right players. Martinez and Rodgers are different matters altogther. He was rightly criticized

He needed to do it slowly and gradually instead of a sudden change. Plus he needed the right players. Martinez and Rodgers are different matters altogther. He was rightly criticized

By Chelsea fans. Most other people I spoke to thought it was unjust.

You brought him into play that way, it's how he plays, it's how he manages. If you didn't like that, and weren't willing to go through the pain and time to allow him to bring in players more technically suited to his game, that's your mistake, not his. Right man, wrong job.

You brought him into play that way, it's how he plays, it's how he manages. If you didn't like that, and weren't willing to go through the pain and time to allow him to bring in players more technically suited to his game, that's your mistake, not his. Right man, wrong job.

Nail hit on head. It's not as if it was some surprise.

He should have understood that it would be a gradual process and he could not have done it so suddenly. For a man of his tactical prowess and ability, I doubt it would have been difficult to devise a new tactic that was suited to the current squad rather than play something alien to them. He was remarkably stubborn in that aspect and he lost his job

Not to mention he did show he can adapt his tactics... Played a deep defensive line and a more conservative tactic vs Valenica which was a key game for us back then.

Not willing to go through the pain and time? This man was leading us on a path where we would have just made it into the Europa League. Would we have been able to attract the players of the calibre of Hazard or provide a viable destination for Modric then? No. So much for the rebuilding job over the summer. We would have had to make do with lesser players

Nail hit on head. It's not as if it was some surprise.

It's like Barcelona hiring Big Sam and wondering why he isn't playing tiki taka.

AVB's laughing all the way to the bank though. Added an 8 figure sum to his bank balance and largely kept his reputation in tact. Not bad for half a years work.

He should have understood that it would be a gradual process and he could not have done it so suddenly. For a man of his tactical prowess and ability, I doubt it would have been difficult to devise a new tactic that was suited to the current squad rather than play something alien to them. He was remarkably stubborn in that aspect and he lost his job

Not to mention he did show he can adapt his tactics... Played a deep defensive line and a more conservative tactic vs Valenica which was a key game for us back then.

Not willing to go through the pain and time? This man was leading us on a path where we would have just made it into the Europa League. Would we have been able to attract the players of the calibre of Hazard or provide a viable destination for Modric then? No. So much for the rebuilding job over the summer. We would have had to make do with lesser players

You shouldnt have hired him then. Its really that simple. You bought him for one style of play, and then expected him to play another.

It's like Barcelona hiring Big Sam and wondering why he isn't playing tiki taka.

AVB's laughing all the way to the bank though. Added an 8 figure sum to his bank balance and largely kept his reputation in tact. Not bad for half a years work.

Not really.... His reputation was damaged albeit not as much as it should/could have been due to conflicting media reports that the ego of senior Chelsea players cost him his job which was only partly true

You shouldnt have hired him then. Its really that simple. You bought him for one style of play, and then expected him to play another.

He could have rebuilt the squad the summer he came in them. Its his fault he did not do that... Then he spent the rest of the season trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Problem is he could have changed to another style of play if he wanted to. He did it in key games and we got the results. He was just stubborn about his 'philosophy' and that cost him his job.

No. I think he was right to change but not straight away and shouldn't have outed Lampard like he did (going by rumours).

I can't see how you can change the philosophy without the right tools to do so. At least wait until the next season, which probably would have kept him in the job longer. Such a huge overhaul in your first season is ridiculous.

He could have rebuilt the squad the summer he came in them. Its his fault he did not do that... Then he spent the rest of the season trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Problem is he could have changed to another style of play if he wanted to. He did it in key games and we got the results. He was just stubborn about his 'philosophy' and that cost him his job.

Except he couldn't, we've been over this. Finances and sheer player turnover dictated that it wasnt possible.

You shouldnt have hired him.

Lal.

The gradual process should have started 3 years ago. If he started gradually you'd remain 3 years behind target, he had no choice to go quick because of the continuing incompetence from the Chelsea management. The Chelsea squad are all adults, I doubt it would have been difficult for them to not throw their toys out of the pram when they're dropped or asked to do something they don't want to do.

RDM hardly had outstanding league form, sacking him did nothing to change your EL course. Yes, you're in the CL now. That's luck rather than foresight, even the most optimistic of Chelsea fans would have struggled to see you qualifying by winning it at the time. We've been through this multiple times, one dud season doesn't set expectations for players. They know your resources, they know your ambition, they aren't going to reject you on the basis of you performing badly one year. Or maybe we should get on the phone to Jordi Alba, since Barca aren't the right club for him if he wants to win trophies.

AVB is far more reputable than RDM, you can attract the likes of Hazard because you won the CL. To say you would have had to do with lesser players with AVB is utter nonsense trying to rationalise sacking him.

Not really.... His reputation was damaged albeit not as much as it should/could have been due to conflicting media reports that the ego of senior Chelsea players cost him his job which was only partly true

Most prospective employers are intelligent enough to realise that he was given an impossible, lose-lose job. Inter looked into him. Liverpool looked into him. Spurs, with Levy one of the shrewdest chairmen around, still wanted him. Real reputation damage, there. A top 4 team 5 months after he was sacked, I'm sure he's weeping.

Lal.

The gradual process should have started 3 years ago. If he started gradually you'd remain 3 years behind target, he had no choice to go quick because of the continuing incompetence from the Chelsea management. The Chelsea squad are all adults, I doubt it would have been difficult for them to not throw their toys out of the pram when they're dropped or asked to do something they don't want to do.

RDM hardly had outstanding league form, sacking him did nothing to change your EL course. Yes, you're in the CL now. That's luck rather than foresight, even the most optimistic of Chelsea fans would have struggled to see you qualifying by winning it at the time. We've been through this multiple times, one dud season doesn't set expectations for players. They know your resources, they know your ambition, they aren't going to reject you on the basis of you performing badly one year. Or maybe we should get on the phone to Jordi Alba, since Barca aren't the right club for him if he wants to win trophies.

AVB is far more reputable than RDM, you can attract the likes of Hazard because you won the CL. To say you would have had to do with lesser players with AVB is utter nonsense trying to rationalise sacking him.

You have gone off somewhere else entirely with that first paragraph. Yes I agree the ego of the senior players hampered him but I dont understand what you mean that they should have done what he asked them too. Would it have made the situation any better? Incompetent players willingly playing a system not suited to them

RDM came in at a difficult time. Still got amazing results.. 4-1 vs Napoli, 5-1 vs Spurs etc. Judge him next season

One dud season could change that. Players do look at ambition, finances etc. but we would have been hard-pressed to attract high-calibre players like Hazard and hopefully Modric particularly due to competition from the Manchester Clubs. We would have had to make do with lesser players like Moses

Lol AVB is pretty reputable, not so much that every player in the world is dying to play for him. Only the Porto ones and a few other and out of them only Moutinho is a viable target.

Most prospective employers are intelligent enough to realise that he was given an impossible, lose-lose job. Inter looked into him. Liverpool looked into him. Spurs, with Levy one of the shrewdest chairmen around, still wanted him. Real reputation damage, there. A top 4 team 5 months after he was sacked, I'm sure he's weeping.

Ultimately did Liverpool hire him? No they preferred Rodgers. He was behind a man who was in the Championship 2 seasons ago

I think Spurs could have gone for a better managerial candidate in Moyes and they were talking to other managerial candidates after talking to AVB. Shows tremendous faith in him eh?

You have gone off somewhere else entirely with that first paragraph. Yes I agree the ego of the senior players hampered him but I dont understand what you mean that they should have done what he asked them too. Would it have made the situation any better? Incompetent players willingly playing a system not suited to them

How have I gone off somewhere else?
RDM came in at a difficult time. Still got amazing results.. 4-1 vs Napoli, 5-1 vs Spurs etc. Judge him next season

He got big results in the cups, mostly. Mostly playing a style you hired AVB to avoid. Beating a free falling Spurs side is hardly a big result too, even Stevenage had a good crack at them.
One dud season could change that. Players do look at ambition, finances etc. but we would have been hard-pressed to attract high-calibre players like Hazard and hopefully Modric particularly due to competition from the Manchester Clubs. We would have had to make do with lesser players like Moses
Wrong.
Lol AVB is pretty reputable, not so much that every player in the world is dying to play for him. Only the Porto ones and a few other and out of them only Moutinho is a viable target.

He's more reputable than, what he was at the time, a WBA reject.

Have you ever actually had a job. You write a CV, you go to an interview, an employer looks at your strengths and weaknesses and decides if they want to employ you, and what role to give you. If someone turns up with poor Maths qualifications, you don't get them to do the books. If someone is afraid of public speaking, you don't get them to do a big conference. Employers have as much responsibility for the performance of their employees by utilising them correctly as the employee themselves. Any businessman with half a bit of sense will do this, it's not AVB's fault Chelsea didn't.

Last edited:
Except he couldn't, we've been over this. Finances and sheer player turnover dictated that it wasnt possible.

You shouldnt have hired him.

Agree partly with this but he could have at least brought in 1-2 players. My main criticism of him is that he played a system which was completely unsuited to our players but on the rare occasion he did show he was willing to adapt the system to the squad. Either he should have done that every game rather than key games or he should have brought in the proper players.

Anyways his man-management skills leave a lot to be desired. Banishing Alex, Anelka from the training ground for a couple of poor performances. Stalling the development of a teenage prospect. Giving the cold shoulder to a club legend.

Even players like Mata, Ramires etc. came out and said how they felt much more confidence under RDM than AVB. I was honestly surprised that even these two did not have a excellent relationship with him as thought before

But anyways hopefully he has learnt something from his time at Chelsea. I honestly hope he does well. I still think he is a good manager

Ultimately did Liverpool hire him? No they preferred Rodgers. He was behind a man who was in the Championship 2 seasons ago

I think Spurs could have gone for a better managerial candidate in Moyes and they were talking to other managerial candidates after talking to AVB. Shows tremendous faith in him eh?

Now you are getting a bit off here frankly Most clubs tend to have a look at more than one candidate, exactly what your club did, fawning after Pep as one example before offering RDM a one year contract with and extension for another.

Didnt go to Liverpool, but ended up at better placed Spurs, with overall better quality and better suited players.

OH NO THEY HIRED HIM AFTER CONSIDERING ALL THEIR OPTIONS AND DECIDING HE WAS THE BEST. NO FAITH!!!one1!

Back