Andre Villas-Boas appointed as Spurs Coach

• Thread starter Thread starter luko1234
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 6K
How have I gone off somewhere else?

He got big results in the cups, mostly. Mostly playing a style you hired AVB to avoid. Beating a free falling Spurs side is hardly a big result too, even Stevenage had a good crack at them.
Wrong.

He's more reputable than, what he was at the time, a WBA reject.

Have you ever actually had a job. You write a CV, you go to an interview, an employer looks at your strengths and weaknesses and decides if they want to employ you, and what role to give you. If someone turns up with poor Maths qualifications, you don't get them to do the books. If someone is afraid of public speaking, you don't get them to do a big conference. Employers have as much responsibility for the performance of their employees by utilising them correctly as the employee themselves. Any businessman with half a bit of sense will do this, it's not AVB's fault Chelsea didn't.

You missed the point entirely. You suggested that due to his reputation, Chelsea's absence from the CL will not matter as players would still want to play for him. I argued that it does not matter because he is not that reputable. Whether he is more reputable or not than RDM does not matter.

Oh so Chelsea would have known AVB would be so stubborn tactically? Or that he would have poor man-management skills?

OH NO THEY HIRED HIM AFTER CONSIDERING ALL THEIR OPTIONS AND DECIDING HE WAS THE BEST. NO FAITH!!!one1!

Realistically speaking, did they have better options? Unless your telling me Daniel 'shrewd' Levy felt AVB>Moyes

You missed the point entirely. You suggested that due to his reputation, Chelsea's absence from the CL will not matter as players would still want to play for him. I argued that it does not matter because he is not that reputable. Whether he is more reputable or not than RDM does not matter.

I'm responsible for what I say, not what you understand. I said that the attraction of Chelsea would be unaffected by one poor season, I added (since you said AVB personally couldn't attract as good players) that he's more reputable than RDM, as a counter to that point.

Oh so Chelsea would have known AVB would be so stubborn tactically? Or that he would have poor man-management skills?

When you hire him and tell him that you want him as part of a project to change the footballing philosophy, yes, yes you should have known. Should AVB have expected the Chelsea squad to act like spoilt children?

He got big results in the cups, mostly. Mostly playing a style you hired AVB to avoid. Beating a free falling Spurs side is hardly a big result too, even Stevenage had a good crack at them.
Wrong.

Oh yeah, beating a top 5 side 5-1 is a good result any day. Beating them in a key game at Wembley which I assume both clubs will take seriously is even better. Not much of an achievement? Get real

As I said, judge RDM on next season. Personally speaking to turn a club's fortunes completely around and make them win the CL with some luck in the latter stages is still huge no matter what you think

Realistically speaking, did they have better options? Unless your telling me Daniel 'shrewd' Levy felt AVB>Moyes

Subjectivity is cool. There are numerous factors to why AVB was a better candidate, don't be so ignorant.

I think AVB's long-term results will speak for themselves at Spurs. He is a top manager and will be given more support.

Also, there is a reason RDM was sacked by West Brom not too long ago, do not think he will over-achieve with Chelsea.

I'm responsible for what I say, not what you understand. I said that the attraction of Chelsea would be unaffected by one poor season, I added (since you said AVB personally couldn't attract as good players) that he's more reputable than RDM, as a counter to that point.

When you hire him and tell him that you want him as part of a project to change the footballing philosophy, yes, yes you should have known. Should AVB have expected the Chelsea squad to act like spoilt children?

But it does not matter if AVB is more reputable than RDM because world-clas players will not go to Chelsea if they are not in the CL because of AVB

Attraction of Chelsea would be affected by one poor season. Tell me, would Hazard be wearing Chelsea Blue now if AVB had stayed and we were not in the CL? Would Modric consider us in face of the Manchester clubs and Real Madrid?

Its like the Liverpool situation. One poor season but the ability to attract world-class players still goes away for that one season because of competition from clubs such as Man Utd who have had better seasons on a consistent basis

I think AVB's long-term results will speak for themselves at Spurs. He is a top manager and will be given more support.

Also, there is a reason RDM was sacked by West Brom not too long ago, do not think he will over-achieve with Chelsea.

Err. I think he over-achieved massively by winning the CL and FA Cup with such a poor squad

Oh yeah, beating a top 5 side 5-1 is a good result any day. Beating them in a key game at Wembley which I assume both clubs will take seriously is even better. Not much of an achievement? Get real

As I said, judge RDM on next season. Personally speaking to turn a club's fortunes completely around and make them win the CL with some luck in the latter stages is still huge no matter what you think

Fine. Let's add some numbers to this. RDM had a 45% win ratio in the league. AVB had 48%. I didn't deny he did well to win the cups he did, I said, if you read my post properly, that he isn't the heralded saviour of Chelsea's fortunes, that was all part of some master plan by Roman. No one expected him to win the CL, you can't seriously tell me otherwise. Yes, you had a chance, but the only GUARANTEED way of getting in the CL would be a top 4 finish. He was poor in the league, his win rate shows as much. Yes, the CL was a grand achievement, you can't use it to rationalise sacking AVB though, which is the point I was making.

Subjectivity is cool. There are numerous factors to why AVB was a better candidate, don't be so ignorant.

I honestly cant think of many situations where AVB or any manager would be a better candidate than Moyes but your welcome to speculate

Fine. Let's add some numbers to this. RDM had a 45% win ratio in the league. AVB had 48%. I didn't deny he did well to win the cups he did, I said, if you read my post properly, that he isn't the heralded saviour of Chelsea's fortunes, that was all part of some master plan by Roman. No one expected him to win the CL, you can't seriously tell me otherwise. Yes, you had a chance, but the only GUARANTEED way of getting in the CL would be a top 4 finish. He was poor in the league, his win rate shows as much. Yes, the CL was a grand achievement, you can't use it to rationalise sacking AVB though, which is the point I was making.

Get what your saying here, was not trying to use RDM's CL achievement to rationalize AVBs sacking but apologies if I came out that way... Although to be fair he did start to field weaker teams in the League in the latter stages. As I said judge
RDM next season

Basically stating that if AVB was still in charge with his normal tactics= Zero Chance of CL football=World-Class players gone

AVB adapted his tactics= Decent chance of Top 4 finish= CL football

But it does not matter if AVB is more reputable than RDM because world-clas players will not go to Chelsea if they are not in the CL because of AVB

Attraction of Chelsea would be affected by one poor season. Tell me, would Hazard be wearing Chelsea Blue now if AVB had stayed and we were not in the CL? Would Modric consider us in face of the Manchester clubs and Real Madrid?

Its like the Liverpool situation. One poor season but the ability to attract world-class players still goes away for that one season because of competition from clubs such as Man Utd who have had better seasons on a consistent basis

Sigh.

Would Aguero consider City when they weren't in the CL? Would Toure consider City when they weren't in the CL? Would Tevez consider them? Yes, yes they all would. Stop using hyperbole for your argument, when recent history disproves it. Players know and expect you to challenge once you overcome your troubles, they know you have the financial power and ambition to do it. They won't reject you because of current status, just like those players didn't reject City, because they actually have ******* foresight.

Anyways said enough on the matter. Hopefully AVB does well at Spurs... I still like him as a manager even if he could have done things differently at Chelsea in my opinion

I honestly cant think of many situations where AVB or any manager would be a better candidate than Moyes but your welcome to speculate

Moyes would require compensation. AVB has proven himself at the top of a league. He's younger. He has a different play style. Not that any of this discredits Moyes in anyway, I think he's fantastic, but there are things in AVBs favour. We also don't know for sure Moyes was anything more than speculation.

Sigh.

Would Aguero consider City when they weren't in the CL? Would Toure consider City when they weren't in the CL? Would Tevez consider them? Yes, yes they all would. Stop using hyperbole for your argument, when recent history disproves it. Players know and expect you to challenge once you overcome your troubles, they know you have the financial power and ambition to do it. They won't reject you because of current status, just like those players didn't reject City, because they actually have ******* foresight.

Aguero joined City when they were already in the CL

But this opens up another argument. We can ill-afford to go on another spending spree without CL football... Which I assume your suggesting we would have had to do if AVB was still in charge. In any case, we would have had to pay premium wages for them again something we can't really do

He didnt. Some of there were already pre thought. He will learn from his mistakes, and wont have as many people standing in his way either

Romeu and Mata were 100% his signings and he got the last say on the Lukaku deal too.

NO ONE will ever have full control at Chelsea and I mean NO ONE while Roman is still there, I will bet my life on it!

Going to be an interesting Summer :) cant wait!

And if success continues like it has done then so be it!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Spurs move for Gylfi Sigurðsson before AVB was appointed?

Anyway, I think he'll do well at Spurs. The players are more suited to how he wanted to play and if he can get Moutinho as a replacement for Modric (if he goes), Spurs will be right up there challenging the top four.

Exactly mate, 100% spot on.

They hadnt, had sort of agreed figures, but it had stalled as there was no manager.

Exactly the same as the Lukaku deal, everything was sorted but we held off until we appointed AVB.

Your mistaken. Emelano and AVB's duties were divided. Emelano to concentrate on acquiring young prospects who were still raw but had potential to contribute to the first-team down the line in 4-5 years and AVB to get in players who could contribute immediately

At last someone else who knows the club before posting random stuff, Emenalo signs young players i.e De Bruyne, Courtois and Piazon.

By Chelsea fans. Most other people I spoke to thought it was unjust.

You brought him into play that way, it's how he plays, it's how he manages. If you didn't like that, and weren't willing to go through the pain and time to allow him to bring in players more technically suited to his game, that's your mistake, not his. Right man, wrong job.

We bought him in to play that way yes but we did not bring him in to alienate the players and try to play the big man. Soon as he started treating the players like **** he was always going to get the fans on his back and rightfully so.

I wanted AVB to do well in his next job but now I'm not so sure. :P

Redknapp will be a tough act to follow.

AVB's been in place for about 9-10 days from what I've seen reported. Just because he's only just been 'confirmed' doesn't mean he hasn't been in place for a while. Also seen quotes from an interview where Gylfi said he had spoken to AVB.

Back