Are footballers overpaid?

Cai123

Reaction score
I was wondering what you think, like how bridge earns 90k a week fornothing. And c ronaldo and messi earning 35m a year. Are they worth it whilst football clubs and the world are crumbling down because of debt. The top three most indebt clubs have over 1 billion pounds of debt. Are footballers overpaid? Plz comment!!

Nope. Samuel Eto'o definitely deserves that 350k per week.

Most people wouldnt earn that in a decade and yet he gets it in a week!! Are you sure its 350k not 250k? I kant remember.yes eto is good.

No, because the market decides their value. As the supply of footballers is small and their demand is high, their value rises. In the case of truly elite players like Messi and Ronaldo, it's even more true. Thus, they are paid what the market decides they are worth. Thus, they are not overpaid.

I just totally zoomed Joel'​

In some cases yes. But it's not their fault tbh-if boards are stupid enough to offer ludicrous wages, who are the players to say no? But some deserve the wage. Like Rooney, Messi, Ronaldo, Beckham.

Besides, some players take a pay cut in some instances. Some just love playing football regardless. Like Nobby Solano. Playing lower league but still scoring-playing regardless of what he gets paid as he loves football.

too some extent :p . take messi and CR7 out off this pic, cuz they are World class and they deserve those wages.

Ye and didnt podolski half his wages to move to koln?

Maybe a little bid. The transfer fees are the worst though. £50m for Torres? Ronaldo £80m? A bit too much if I should say so myself. They're tossing around money like it was nothing!

They are being paid to do what a lot of people can't do so really they do deserve their money (especially the top players as barely anyone can do what they can)

Maybe a little bid. The transfer fees are the worst though. £50m for Torres? Ronaldo £80m? A bit too much if I should say so myself. They're tossing around money like it was nothing!

I dunno, would you say Ronaldo hasn't been worth it? Torres hasn't (so far) but it's a calculated gamble with transfer fees, and sometimes you lose.

Did u know that if you took messis, cr7, rooneys, beckham and etos wages for 1 week and added it together you could feed all the childreb in affrica for a week. And isnt 38m a year too much for even the board to imagine??

I dunno, would you say Ronaldo hasn't been worth it? Torres hasn't (so far) but it's a calculated gamble with transfer fees, and sometimes you lose.

Yeah, Ronaldo has been worth it. But come on. People are suffering in the world (I'm not trying to sound like a missionary here), I'm just pointing out that with half that money a lot of people could come out of that misery. Football is all about money this these days. 25 years ago you wouldn't have seen transfer fees that high.

Did u know that if you took messis, cr7, rooneys, beckham and etos wages for 1 week and added it together you could feed all the childreb in affrica for a week.

True, but there's no incentive for us to give that money to African children, is there? It's the unfortunate truth, but paying footballers those kinds of wages has a reward (better chance of trophies and therefore more money to buy even better players and win even more stuff) whereas giving it to children has no physical gain to the people who would give that money to them. Yeah, it's cold hearted, but it's also economics and business.

25 years ago a record transfer would have been 1 m.

Yeah, Ronaldo has been worth it. But come on. People are suffering in the world (I'm not trying to sound like a missionary here), I'm just pointing out that with half that money a lot of people could come out of that misery. Football is all about money this these days. 25 years ago you wouldn't have seen transfer fees that high.

See my above post. 25 years ago football was a lot less money-driven, not to mention the inflation. It's how the game has changed, for better or for worse.

True, but there's no incentive for us to give that money to African children, is there? It's the unfortunate truth, but paying footballers those kinds of wages has a reward (better chance of trophies and therefore more money to buy even better players and win even more stuff) whereas giving it to children has no physical gain to the people who would give that money to them. Yeah, it's cold hearted, but it's also economics and business.

Worded it better than I was about to. I suspect I would have got pelters for coming across wrong-normally have a habit of ******** up what I want to say on those subjects lol

Every so often we get a thread like this pop up and every so often it turns into a Nurses + Soldiers v Footballers thread. Please, please don't descend into that drivel.

See my above post. 25 years ago football was a lot less money-driven, not to mention the inflation. It's how the game has changed, for better or for worse.

Yeah. But a lot of football players are greedy when it comes to wages aswell. But that's just how the game works I guess... But I can't really say anything. If I would've been offered £100k + p/w I'd take it without thinking about it twice.

But barcelona have won the cl twice in three years and yet they have debt of 280m , man utd have debt off 762m.

But barcelona have won the cl twice in three years and yet they have debt of 280m , man utd have debt off 762m.

From what I gather though (and correct me if I'm wrong), the amount of money coming in for both clubs through advertising, tickets sold, sponsorship etc offsets that.