Are footballers overpaid?

But the debt is still there, if man utd have q bad season that may cause them to go into a crisis which has a knock on affect(for example like leeds)

But the debt is still there, if man utd have q bad season that may cause them to go into a crisis which has a knock on affect(for example like leeds)

it wont

Yeah, Ronaldo has been worth it. But come on. People are suffering in the world (I'm not trying to sound like a missionary here), I'm just pointing out that with half that money a lot of people could come out of that misery. Football is all about money this these days. 25 years ago you wouldn't have seen transfer fees that high.

behold , the Pope has arrived. ! ;)

then wait for those qatari owners take over ManU hehe.

They are massive world wide clubs, and the money generated from the name of the club alone is enough to keep them going. It happens when a club is incredibly successful. The bigger you are, the greater the cashflow

Then why and how are they indebt and not paying it off.

They are massive world wide clubs, and the money generated from the name of the club alone is enough to keep them going. It happens when a club is incredibly successful. The bigger you are, the greater the cashflow

In other words, money comes to those with money.

Kneel before me!

As u wish. heheeh [LOL]

[video=youtube;Zn94j5F5YLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn94j5F5YLc&feature=related[/video]

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

it inst that easy man. unless they have FMRTE ;)

Last edited:

Man Utd inherited the debt from the current owners, from which i understand though, is now being paid off from floating on the market or something. Mike or Godcubed or Joel are better at explaining that than me. I'm pretty **** at explaining economic stuff

Sponsorships/TV Money/Revenue/Ticket Sales/Transfer fees and Prize money mean we would need to have A LOT of bad seasons for it too have as big a knock on effect as it did on Leeds. Manchester United's debt is very bad, but don't forget that we were completely debt free before the Glazer's came in which is why everyone wants them out.

Even now when they're here, they're hated but they're running the club well. Spending when necessary (£50M+ this summer) and they're still paying off their debts when inclined too so eventually (although it'll probably take a while) we'll be debt free again.

EDIT: Zoomed twice by ajt09. *******.

Sponsorships/TV Money/Revenue/Ticket Sales/Transfer fees and Prize money mean we would need to have A LOT of bad seasons for it too have as big a knock on effect as it did on Leeds. Manchester United's debt is very bad, but don't forget that we were completely debt free before the Glazer's came in which is why everyone wants them out.

Even now when they're here, they're hated but they're running the club well. Spending when necessary (£50M+ this summer) and they're still paying off their debts when inclined too so eventually (although it'll probably take a while) we'll be debt free again.

EDIT: Zoomed twice by ajt09. *******.

If it's any consolation you explained it a bit better than me lol

Thank you dmf for clearing that up. I still think footballers wages are a little bit out of preportion(bridge) but im happier with the financual state of things, thanks

i think its pretty obvious that footballers are overpaid, but you cant blame them for that. if people will offer them more money, why would you turn it down? still, doesnt mean im not hugely jealous of them all, the stinking rich bastards...

In the economic system that we live in, no they are not overpaid given their limited number and admirable talent. Is it fair that they get payed SO much when policeman/nurses/teachers/generic-underpaid-civilservant-example are payed so little? No.

But lots of people get payed far too much relative to how important their role is to society. What often determines their wages is the potential earning power they bring to a company. That's capitalism folks and you don't want to be one of those arses who picks on footballers for their wages whilst totally ignoring the context they're set in do you?

Yeah, Ronaldo has been worth it. But come on. People are suffering in the world (I'm not trying to sound like a missionary here), I'm just pointing out that with half that money a lot of people could come out of that misery. Football is all about money this these days. 25 years ago you wouldn't have seen transfer fees that high.

If the club doesn't pay the footballer that money, where does it go? If someone earns £100k in a week, they pay almost 50% of all of that in income tax alone. That employs 2 policeman there and then, in a week. What happens if the owner of the club has no players to employ at high wages, he has millions of pounds sitting around doing nothing? Do you think he's going to spend it into the economy? No, he has no need to spend it. It's going into the bank, taxed at a lesser rate in the firm, or invested in stocks. They're paid so much because the industry's so rich, and the industry's rich because of consumer demand and rich investors. The money HAS to go somewhere, it's not just going to find its way to Africa, and the footballer - who actually provides the entertainment - deserves to be the beneficiary of that money, where it can be taxed and provide a lot to society.
---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

No, because the market decides their value. As the supply of footballers is small and their demand is high, their value rises. In the case of truly elite players like Messi and Ronaldo, it's even more true. Thus, they are paid what the market decides they are worth. Thus, they are not overpaid.

I just totally zoomed Joel'​

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited: