Are there no good 4231 tactics out there?

akhilisalad

Reaction score
Also has anyone managed to perfect Tiki taka, even with good players im struggling

Also has anyone managed to perfect Tiki taka, even with good players im struggling
Lad around here people define "good" in different ways so I'd say that depends on your definition.
I'd say this much: I haven't seen a 4-2-3-1 working even CLOSE to how I seen some 4-2-3-1's work on fm 19 for instance , I was promoted with dundee united then won the scottish league first season almost 20 pts clear. You'd be lucky to finish mid table I think your first season and if you define that as good I can suggest a tactic or two.

FM19 and FM20, could never find a good one or make a good one. I feel like AMC are always so poor

There's a couple, as MagicNut I do rate Pav's The Fiend quite highly, v2 has both an AML/AMR, v1/v3 pull the AML down to a ML. You can download each version by clicking the history tab.

There's also a good few others', one aleady mentioned:
Parisienne Walkways
Shaolin Chicken Wings
Na Kanglim
CJ's 4231
Knap's Beowulf

Honestly just because it scores lower on the testing, doesn't mean it won't work for you. Contrary to what people assume anything that scores 13 or more as under or topdog is still very usable.

4-2-3-1 is generally a weaker formation this year, was also last year to however as long as you have the players for it, and manage your team correctly you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to upload a simple 4231 I have been playing around with.

Holidaying with assistant control of training it got Charlton (predicted 23rd) to 5th in the Championship season 1.

I mainly play a 4-2-3-1 and it works alright. It's a pretty generic gegenpressing tactic with a few tweaks (mainly just ticking the "play offside trap" TI and adjusting a few other settings like width and making the roles and duties fit my players without unbalancing it). I tend to just start with the basic tactic and try to tweak as I go along rather than designing one from whole cloth. It seems to work better.

I have seen people say on other forums that gegenpressing might be slightly broken in '20 though, so I may be just exploiting that rather than doing anything ingenious. I also have relatively good (i.e. top half) talent relative to the other teams in my league, so take it with that pinch of salt.

I had 23 clean sheets from 35 Edersons games played with mancity 4231 so i think if you can somehow make the striker score a goal i think 4231 will be a beast. In older fms i didnt had this scoring problem. Also as i said i can beat big teams consistently but i suck vs 20th and 19th more often than not. I dont know why when they are in complete dissaray how can they beat steamrolling city....