Arsenal - Liverpool 20/08/11 12:45

FFS i predicted a 2-0 liverpool win and was going to put £20 bet on but forgot. Just missed out on 280 quid.

I wouldn't say Kuyt impressed today, but the work rate he always shows can't be ignored.

granted I only woke up for he 2nd half, but there were countless times he would be tracking back to help the defence. His work rate is to important for us, allows the midfielders to venture forward knowing they have him and Lucas to run them down. Kelly i give aot more freedom with him in the side.

5 man midfield, Adam/Lucas/Aquilani/Henderson/Downing.

There was room for Aquilani from the start, either in Kuyts place and Henderson RM or Henderson's place.

Didn't say he should have been selected over Adam just that he should be the first name on the team sheet.

So presumably leaving out Kuyt, and one of Carroll or Suarez. Not to mention Gerrard, once he returns...

Aquilani's alright, but quality as a player doesn't necessarily equate to importance to the team. It could be argued 'Pool don't need a classical trequartista of his ilk: could make them too predictable, and too reliant on him.

Aquilani is far the better player than Henderson on every level, Kuyt would stay wide right and centrally there would be a midfield of Lucas/Adam/Aquilani.

And you can only judge Adam on his displays so far, Aquilani hasn't played a PL game in a year+ so you can hardly say starting Adam over Aquilani if it came to it is justified.

What has Aquilani done wrong exactly?

He performed well in pre season and internationally...Every time he has played he has stepped up and delivered, nothing else he can do to be honest.

Adam has done really well for 1 season and 2 games now. Aquilani hasn't got near to doing what Adam has already done in two matches at Liverpool either. I agree Aquilani>Henderson but I'd rather see them play two strikers with Suarez than 5 midfielders with Aquilani.

Stand out performers for me:

Kelly - Absolutely fantastic performance. Amazed with his maturity and intelligence. Also very dangerous on that wing.
Suarez and Meireles - Instant effect on the game
Enrique and Downing - Very, very lethal down that left side, hugely impressed.
Charlie Adam- First half was touch and go but he was brilliant in that second half.

Andy Carroll - Poor, and I'm a huge fan of his. He needs to work on his attitude, ALWAYS moaning. Seems very lazy at the moment, not sure if it's fitness or something else.

Anyway it's all fairly pointless discussing Aquilani, looking like Galliani has finally sorted out his priorities.

Meeting with Zavaglia on Monday/Tuesday in Milan to talk about it, looks like Alberto's Liverpool **** will be over.

Meireles impressed when he came on as well, how he feels about being pushed out centrally by Henderson I really don't know.

My main beef with team selection isn't Adam/Kuyt it's Henderson, how he pushes Meireles/Aquilani out of the team I don't know.

Aquilani is far the better player than Henderson on every level, Kuyt would stay wide right and centrally there would be a midfield of Lucas/Adam/Aquilani.

And you can only judge Adam on his displays so far, Aquilani hasn't played a PL game in a year+ so you can hardly say starting Adam over Aquilani if it came to it is justified.

What has Aquilani done wrong exactly?

He performed well in pre season and internationally...Every time he has played he has stepped up and delivered, nothing else he can do to be honest.

No reason to play him over Adam, he is th first Alonso-like player we've had since his departure. He does thejob brilliantly and already seems to have formed a good partnership with Lucas.

No reason to doubt Kenny overhis team choices.

He hasn't done anything wrong, but we have no reason to change Lucas-Adam. And if we are to play Suarez and Carroll, it will probably be Lucas - Adam - Downing - Kuyt which I have no problem with.

Pre Season isn't muc to go by, Adam has also stepped up and delivered. Completely happy with the current midfield remaining, with some rotation to give Aquilani games.

Anyway it's all fairly pointless discussing Aquilani, looking like Galliani has finally sorted out his priorities.

Meeting with Zavaglia on Monday/Tuesday in Milan to talk about it, looks like Alberto's Liverpool **** will be over.

Meireles impressed when he came on as well, how he feels about being pushed out centrally by Henderson I really don't know.

My main beef with team selection isn't Adam/Kuyt it's Henderson, how he pushes Meireles/Aquilani out of the team I don't know.

couldn't agree more with that last sentence.

I was right! Well mostly right. 2-0 - A Suarez goal and a red card!

Well deserved.

Thought we played well till the red card. Then Liverpool showed they have a much better squad as thier subs won them the game.

And its the first time we haven't scored in our First two PL games for 42 years !

The last time we lost our opening home game was in 2001 against Leeds.

We won the title that year. Positives people, positives :)

This Arsenal team are breaking records left right and centre. Unfortunately, all the records you don't want to break.

Back