Reaction score
Barclays Premier League
Sunday January 22 2012
1600 Hrs
SKY SPORTS 1

Arsenal_1886-2011_Logo.png
200px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

TEAM NEWS

Wenger would dearly love to be going into the game with his first-choice line-up, but it will be anything but that.
Injuries have ravaged his defence and it appears Belgium international Thomas Vermaelen will be sidelined again.

With Spaniard Mikel Arteta also set to miss out with his calf problem, things are not looking good for Wenger.
Thierry Henry is also a doubt with a calf injury, leaving Arsenal with few selection issues.

Left-back is the major problem with possible options Bacary Sagna, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson, Francis Coquelin and Andre Santos all sidelined, meaning young Spaniard Ignasi Miquel could continue to fill in.

England international Jack Wilshere remains a few weeks away from a possible return.

While Arsenal are beset with injuries, United have been boosted on that front with the news that defensive duo Phil Jones and Chris Smalling look set to return.

Both England defenders missed last week's home win over Bolton after they collided with each other in the Manchester derby win over City.

One piece of bad news for United is that Anderson has suffered a setback in training and will not be involved.

Ferguson must also decide whether to recall David De Gea in goal or stick with Anders Lindegaard.

Ashley Young, Tom Cleverley and Darren Fletcher remain absentees.

Possible starting XIs:

Arsenal: Szczesny, Mertesacker, Djourou, Koscielny, Miquel, Rosicky, Benayoun, Walcott, Song, Ramsey, Van Persie.
Man Utd: Lindegaard, Evra, Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Welbeck.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
  • The last meeting between the two clubs - United's 8-2 Premier League victory on 28 August at Old Trafford last year - was the highest-scoring of any of their 214 matches since 1894.
  • Overall, United have won 89 of those matches - 10 more than Arsenal.
  • Since Arsenal left Highbury in May 2006, they have beaten United at the Emirates three times, lost twice, and drawn once (all competitions).
  • United last did the double over Arsenal in the 2009-10 season.
Arsenal

• [*=center] Arsenal come into the match having suffered back-to-back league defeats for the second time this season.
    [*=center] Arsene Wenger's side have now lost a Premier League match from a leading position on three occasions so far. Only West Brom have fared as badly.
    [*=center] The Gunners have used the highest number of players in the Premier League this season (30).
    [*=center] Robin van Persie has scored 18 Premier League goals this season - equalling his best-ever total in a league season.
    [*=center]
Manchester United

• [*=center] United have the best away record in the Premier League. At this stage last season they were top of the table, but only had the fourth-best away record.
    [*=center] The Red Devils have gone 40 league matches without taking part in a goalless draw.
    [*=center] Wayne Rooney has missed two consecutive Premier League penalties. In total, he has missed six of 14 career Premier League penalties (including four of his last eight).
    [*=center] Midfielder Paul Scholes has now scored 151 goals for the club (all competitions), making him their outright 10th highest-ever scorer (moving ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy's 150).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Predictions?

Not confident with all the injuries we have :( so will go for a 1-1.​

Last edited:
I'm going to go for United 3-1, their attack just looks too strong right now, and even if they leak a goal I just didn't see enough in the Swansea game to convince me we can win the midfield battle against players with pace and energy.

Hopefully this time we will play with Valencia and Nani on wings rather than Park. Park has done well against Arsenal but that was the team against which you needed few defensive players to contain Fabregas, Nasri and all. With Arteta, TV missing would like to see going with attacking line up with Jones and Carrick in the midfield.

Will be going for Narrow United win.

Hard one to call. I've been mulling over it all week and trying to work out all the possibilities for my fantasy football squad. Either team could suffer a nightmare on the day and concede a shed-load of goals.
I'm with sunilvk7 on this. I hope Nani and Val are attacking from the wings and Nani has a free role (shoot on sight).

Draw please. Both midfields look pretty weak, but Mertesacker's ****, so probably United win.

Van Persie can always produce a bit of magic.....but as a manchester united fan, the only players I rate highly enough to cause us major problems are Persie, Ramsey and Song on his day.

Looking forward to it, very rarely do I look at a big match like this and feel so confident!

In particular I'm looking forward to Nani/ Valencia down the wings...and Welbeck vs Mertesacker....should eat them alive!

Anyways, good luck!

cant ask for more than a draw. either 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 :S

Neither team will play well, but Man United will win 3-0 comfortably.

After:

Chelsea - Newcastle - Liverpool all dropped points we really need to get something from this game, if you offerd me a 0-0 i would take it in a minute.

As long as we get a point I don't care what happens tomorrow. COYG

Could go either way, with both teams being without form and having lots of important players on the injury list. Having said that, i placed a bet on United to win and feel pretty confident about it. Carrick&Valencia were absolutely brilliant in the last couple of games + Nani's been always good vs Arsenal. Whatever the result, it's gonna be one **** of a game. :)

3-1 Arsenal, I reckon. Think Arsenal are due an upset against United.

Status
Not open for further replies.