Arsenal raid Barcelona for new Spanish starlet

Reaction score
According to reports in Spain, Arsenal have once again plucked a talented midfielder from Barcelona's youth set-up after agreeing a deal with 16-year-old Jon Miquel Toral Harper.
It is believed that Toral, who currently represents Barca's cadete A side, has agreed to move to London and that Arsenal will pay Barcelona €350,000 in compensation.

t350251.jpg

The news echoes Arsenal's signing of Cesc Fabregas from the Spanish club in 2003, while Fran Merida and Ignasi Miquel both had spells at La Masia on their CV before moving to North London.
While the imminent signing of Toral has been interpreted in some quarters as souring relations between the two clubs in the build-up to the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie, it is believed that is not necessarily the case.
Toral's mother is English and Barca showed little inclination to try and convince the player to stay once it became clear he wanted to end his four-year spell with the club and move to England.
Toral, who has represented Spain at Under-16 level, is described as a strong and technically-gifted midfielder, and he is represented by Barca coach Pep Guardiola's brother, Pere.
It is reported that Arsenal were also hoping to sign 16-year-old Sergi Samper from Barcelona but he decided to remain with the Spanish champions.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/75517.html

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if Barca are chasing this guy up in 8 years.

I read that Barcelona are ****** off even though it seems there was no real wrong-doing by Arsenal, but who knows what really went on?

Hope the kid is talented.

it think the kid has talent and everyone will want him in about 6-8 years

Last edited:
I read that Barcelona are ****** off even though it seems there was no real wrong-doing by Arsenal, but who knows what really went on?

Hope the kid is talented.

Yeah, I read stuff about Rossell raising his voice against Gazidis recently. Clearly they are ****** even though Arsenal didn't do anything wrong and it was, in fact, the player's decision to join Arsenal.

16 and playing for cadetes idk if hes that much of a talent

His mother is English so if he does become a good player let's hope he plays for England instead of Spain. ;)

Typical Wenger, we need a goalie and he pinches a 16 year old dude from Barca. He's gonna be great tho.

Why do we need a keeper when Szczesny is doing so awesome?

You're not quite understanding what I am saying.

We beat Barca 3-1.

We DRAW with Orient due to goalkeeping error,

Szczensy is good, i'll grant u that but we need either a backup or a world class goalie.

We beat Barca 3-1.

Szczensy is good, i'll grant u that but we need either a backup or a world class goalie.

You watched a different Arsenal - Barcelona match than I did.

We beat Barca 3-1.

Fabianski has done well except for the Newcastle blunder. He is good backup. FYI, the goal against Orient was by no means a goalkeeping blunder. If anything, it's the defenders to blame for letting the guy pass somewhat easily.

Fabregas to Barcelona for £30 million + Toral Harper?

His face + how the picture is pixelated makes him look like something out of Pro Evo! :L

Fabianski has done well except for the Newcastle blunder. He is good backup. FYI, the goal against Orient was by no means a goalkeeping blunder. If anything, it's the defenders to blame for letting the guy pass somewhat easily.

The two polish keepers ye have are more then enough