Arsenal still contenders - Wenger

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive Lost Confidence. :(

if spurs beat us like 5-0, then i'll Look for other options. or ill stop following football for a while. sigh.....

IF they do it will hurt but you support your team through the bad and good! :)

IF they do it will hurt but you support your team through the bad and good! :)

i will support, but it kinda overwhelming me atm. planing not to watch some games. it also ruining my early weekend mornings. i have to wake u early in the weekends to watch epl matches, only some are around the lunch time, which is fine.

i'll just watch the highlights from MOTD, which i like best.

im not saying ill quit being a goonner, but ill stand off for now.

But ......

I'll%2Bbe%2Bback.jpg

Last edited:
i will support, but it kinda overwhelming me atm. planing not to watch some games. it also ruining my early weekend mornings. i have to wake u early in the weekends to watch epl matches, only some are around the lunch time, which is fine.

im not saying ill quit being a goonner, but ill stand off for now.

How big's the time difference? :)

Diddums
lol, Champs League is at 4:30 or 6:30 am here, EPL from between 10pm and 3am kick-offs.

get dedicated!

PS Rangers for London dominance in 5 years! :D

Never said in ALL areas, I said in areas that matter, Centre Mid and Defence.

Out of your first team I'd have your keeper, even though he's a tw@t, Vermalen, Wilshire and RVP. Possibly Walcott over Lennon, but you're splitting hairs. Arteta and Benayoun are both poor mans versions of the players that left and not as good as Parker or Modric.King is a monster, if his knees were decent, he would NO WAY be a Spurs player right now, but they're ****** so every now and then he plays for us, our gain!

Sandro is not far off being your Viera and there are VERY few players who fit that mould nowadays, he'll honestly be the player Spurs will build their next team around!

Calum, you speak a lot of sense, Lol_101, you're deluded.

I look forward to taking these discussion further next week in a hopefully dedicated NLD thread.

Peace goonies!

You really don't want Sandro to develop into a total beast. If he does he'll be poached quicker than 'Arry can say "Blew us aaart the Waaawtaaa" lol

Oh wow, you are soooo stupid Arsene XD

Hasn't the last few weeks proved you can't enough

This is a manager definitely in denial and he has the cheek to say we're still in it.

Szczesny > Friedel
Defences are about the same, both have their good days and bad days.
Midfields are fairly similar, Spurs might just have the edge.
van Persie > Any of your strikers.

You're really saying that your defence without Vermalen is as good as ours? If King plays against you, we'll win. Walker King Kaboul BAE is better than your defence, and we've had 4 clean sheets in a row now, you on the other hand...

Your midfield would have edged it last season with Fabregas and Nasri, but now ours is superior. Sandro, Parker, Modric, VDV, Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone etc.. Sandro and Parker screening the defence with Modric VDV and Bale would be pushing the best midfield in the league imo.

And with the strikers, Adebayor when firing (as he is atm) is up there with the best, but RVP last season was amazing yes, but he hasn't taken that form into this season yet has he? Only scored 1 in the league iirc.

Last time I checked, there were still 33 games to go. Still tipping Arsenal to finish ahead of Spurs and Liverpool

Szczesny > Friedel
Defences are about the same, both have their good days and bad days.
Midfields are fairly similar, Spurs might just have the edge.
van Persie > Any of your strikers.

Keepers are relatively similar in terms of ability, it's just Szczesny is younger and has potential while Friedel has experience.
Spurs defence is much better than Arsenal's at the moment. King and Dawson are a great partnership when King is fit and they have Gallas and Kaboul as well. Vermaelen is quality, Mertesacker needs to prove himself and Djourou/Koscielny are ****.
Spurs' midfield is better with Wilshere out injured and Fabregas/Nasri gone.
Adebayor would easily be starting for Arsenal.

You're really saying that your defence without Vermalen is as good as ours?
He said first team, I took that as meaning each clubs best team possible.

Wasn't taking into account any injuries.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Adebayor would easily be starting for Arsenal.
I wouldn't be so sure.

It would depend mainly on whether we played the same formation we do now.

There's so much bias on this thread it's actually stupid.

I think Arsenal have a chance of winning the title, although it is fairly slim. I think a few Arsenal fans on this forum are so pessimistic - sure, you're not doing great, but you don't have to give up on the team. Yes, they have made a few good signings but a few 'good' won't make you Premier League champions. Having said that, if they turn out to be great and blend in with the team, then they have a chance - it's not a 'few good' signings which win you the league, it's your entire squad in general.

Personally, I think Arsenal's Starting XI is better than Liverpool's, although we have way better depth than you. We can afford to not play Stevie G, Andy Carroll, Craig Bellamy and even not keep Maxi Rodriguez on the bench! Arsenal have complimented their squad with a few cheap, but good, signings in Mertesacker, Santos and Arteta - not sure how good Benayoun and Oxlade-Chamberlain will turn out to be.

This is what I think on the Tottenham/Arsenal situation:
First XI (when all fully fit and at their best - in my unbiased opinion, by the way - I'm a Liverpool supporter):

GK: Wojciech Szczesny < Brad Friedel

RB: Bacary Sagna > Kyle Walker

LB: Andre Santos > Benoit Assou-Ekotto

CB: Per Mertesacker > Michael Dawson/Younes Kaboul

CB: Thomas Vermaelen = Ledley King

DMF: Alex Song = Scott Parker

DMF: Jack Wilshere > Sandro

AMC: Mikel Arteta/Aaron Ramsey = Rafael Van Der Vaart

AML: Andrei Arshavin < Gareth Bale

AMR: Theo Walcott < Luka Modric

FC: Robin Van Persie > Emmanuel Adebayor

Remember, my opinion is just the player's quality on paper, when at their best - so maybe Adebayor is on better form than Van Persie, but if they were both on top form, I think RVP would be better. It doesn't take into account their teamwork, so this is just my opinion on which individual players are better.

So the result is:

Arsenal: 7 points (including draws)

Tottenham Hotspur: 5 points (again, including draws)

Tottenham are currently performing better, although the Spurs fans who think their team is better than Arsenal are going a little bit too far, I think - who lost 5-1 to Manchester City and 3-0 to Manchester United? Although they won 5-1 at Hearts and 4-0 at Liverpool, I think they are still not as good as Arsenal, although they are on better form.

So, in summary, I think Wenger can lead Arsenal to another trophy challenge - although they should be happy for this season to be a stepping stone, with a fairly new team to gel and youngsters to get some experience and then hopefully next season, they can win a trophy. I think the Carling Cup or FA Cup would be brilliant for Arsenal this season, considering the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri. Tottenham are on good form, but I don't think they are as good as Arsenal when Arsenal are on good form.

Remember what they say - form is temporary, class is permanent - and I think Arsenal's class will see them do fairly well this season, although it will be hard to finish Top 4, never mind win the league. Having said that, anything is possible in football and Wenger is a good manager who will push his team right until the very end. The only certainty this season is that it won't be easy for Arsenal, with City, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Stoke and QPR all looking to get an European place.

There's so much bias on this thread it's actually stupid.

I think Arsenal have a chance of winning the title, although it is fairly slim. I think a few Arsenal fans on this forum are so pessimistic - sure, you're not doing great, but you don't have to give up on the team. Yes, they have made a few good signings but a few 'good' won't make you Premier League champions. Having said that, if they turn out to be great and blend in with the team, then they have a chance - it's not a 'few good' signings which win you the league, it's your entire squad in general.

Personally, I think Arsenal's Starting XI is better than Liverpool's, although we have way better depth than you. We can afford to not play Stevie G, Andy Carroll, Craig Bellamy and even not keep Maxi Rodriguez on the bench! Arsenal have complimented their squad with a few cheap, but good, signings in Mertesacker, Santos and Arteta - not sure how good Benayoun and Oxlade-Chamberlain will turn out to be.

This is what I think on the Tottenham/Arsenal situation:
First XI (when all fully fit and at their best - in my unbiased opinion, by the way - I'm a Liverpool supporter):

GK: Wojciech Szczesny < Brad Friedel

RB: Bacary Sagna > Kyle Walker

LB: Andre Santos > Benoit Assou-Ekotto

CB: Per Mertesacker > Michael Dawson/Younes Kaboul

CB: Thomas Vermaelen = Ledley King

DMF: Alex Song = Scott Parker

DMF: Jack Wilshere > Sandro

AMC: Mikel Arteta/Aaron Ramsey = Rafael Van Der Vaart

AML: Andrei Arshavin < Gareth Bale

AMR: Theo Walcott < Luka Modric

FC: Robin Van Persie > Emmanuel Adebayor

Remember, my opinion is just the player's quality on paper, when at their best - so maybe Adebayor is on better form than Van Persie, but if they were both on top form, I think RVP would be better. It doesn't take into account their teamwork, so this is just my opinion on which individual players are better.

So the result is:

Arsenal: 7 points (including draws)

Tottenham Hotspur: 5 points (again, including draws)

Tottenham are currently performing better, although the Spurs fans who think their team is better than Arsenal are going a little bit too far, I think - who lost 5-1 to Manchester City and 3-0 to Manchester United? Although they won 5-1 at Hearts and 4-0 at Liverpool, I think they are still not as good as Arsenal, although they are on better form.

So, in summary, I think Wenger can lead Arsenal to another trophy challenge - although they should be happy for this season to be a stepping stone, with a fairly new team to gel and youngsters to get some experience and then hopefully next season, they can win a trophy. I think the Carling Cup or FA Cup would be brilliant for Arsenal this season, considering the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri. Tottenham are on good form, but I don't think they are as good as Arsenal when Arsenal are on good form.

Remember what they say - form is temporary, class is permanent - and I think Arsenal's class will see them do fairly well this season, although it will be hard to finish Top 4, never mind win the league. Having said that, anything is possible in football and Wenger is a good manager who will push his team right until the very end. The only certainty this season is that it won't be easy for Arsenal, with City, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Stoke and QPR all looking to get an European place.

On what basis is Andre Santos better than BAE? An unproven left back who's still adjusting and doesn't speak english? BAE is one of the best full backs in the league. Our most consistent player (bar King).

Also, Per Mertesacker < Dawson/Kaboul. Fairly obvious.

And how on earth is Arteta of Ramsey as good as VDV?? Thats beyond ridiculous. All of that is just pretty pointless. You can't just rate a team based on individuals, its how the ENTIRE defence/midfield works together, and its pretty obvious Arsenals defence doesn't.

Oh and King > Vermalen. :)

..... sigh there are still so many games to go in the league, was'nt it just last season when there were about 10 games to go and everyone was saying Chelsea wont be in the top 4, zoom 7 games and we are one match away from the title so my point is, lets not rush to conclusions early, just because Arsenal have had a **** start does not mean they wont be challenging for the title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back