Arsenal's GKing Situation

Cloud~

Reaction score
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6315416,00.html

I agree with this. We either buy Akinfeev or keep Almunia.

Former Arsenal captain Stewart Robson thinks Arsene Wenger should stick with goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, rather than buy Mark Schwarzer or Shay Given to replace him.
Wenger has been linked with moves for Fulham
spacer.gif
goalkeeper Schwarzer
spacer.gif
and Man City stopper Given as potential replacements for Alumina, who has been at Arsenal since 2004.
Almunia
spacer.gif
was criticised following David Ngog's
spacer.gif
opener for Liverpool
spacer.gif
against the Gunners in their opening-day draw at Anfield and Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson
spacer.gif
says Arsenal cannot win the league with Almunia in goal.
However Robson, who played for Arsenal from 1981-86, reckons Almunia is superior to any of the potential transfer targets being lined up.
"I don't see that Schwarzer, the player that everybody's talking about, is a better goalkeeper than Almunia," Robson told Sky Sports News.
"I think Almunia's a better goalkeeper than Schwarzer.
"Shay Given is a very good shot-stopper, but most of the criticism of Arsenal's goalkeepers is that they don't come for crosses or haven't been dominant in the air.
"Shay Given's not that goalkeeper. He's a very good goalkeeper, we all know that, but he's more of a shot-stopper than someone who's going to dominate his penalty area."
Promising

Wenger has several promising young goalkeepers in his squad already, including 25-year-old Łukasz Fabiański, 22-year-old Vito Mannone and 20-year-old Wojciech Szczęsny.
But Robson says Almunia is still the best of the bunch.
"I think Arsenal can win the Premier League with Almunia in goal," Robson continued.
"He gets a lot of criticism, but I think he's unfairly treated. He was understudy to Jens Lehmann
spacer.gif
and had to wait a long time, but I don't think he's as bad as many Arsenal supporters are making out.
"I'm not sure Fabianski's good enough. People tell me he's going to be a great goalkeeper, but he's made so many mistakes in his short career at Arsenal that it will be very difficult to win the fans back over and win the press back over.
"Mannone had a good spell last year and saved Arsenal on a couple of occasions. He played brilliantly against Fulham, but he did make two high-profile mistakes.
"One against Birmingham, which didn't cost Arsenal, and one when Arsenal were 2-0 up against West Ham and he palmed a free-kick back into the path of Carlton Cole.
spacer.gif
It cost Arsenal two points on that occasion. He's probably got a bit to do. I don't think he'll play too many games for Arsenal.
"I still think Almunia is by far and away the best keeper Arsenal have got on their books.
Strategic

Robson did suggest that Alumina needed a bit more protection from the Arsenal defence.
He says that Arsenal have strategic deficiencies when it comes to defending long balls and set plays - and he urged Wenger to rectify those problems.
Robson said: "I still think Arsenal can win the league, but they need to improve a couple of defensive frailties that they've got.
"One is when balls get played over the top and they play too high an offside line - and the other is when they're defending set plays.
"That's where they've let goals in over the last three or four years and I see in pre-season that they're still doing those same things.
"It happened again against Liverpool. There were a couple of situations in the first half where they tried to play too high an offside line, there was no pressure on the ball and the ball got played in and one ball could beat the whole of the back four.
"It's not just about buying players; you have to have a defensive strategy. Arsene Wenger
spacer.gif
has got a philosophy of how they play. They play good football, they can open up teams and they're as good as Spain or as Barcelona football-wise.
"But they're not as good as those teams defensively because they have a strategy about pressing the ball and showing teams out wide when they need to.
"I can't see where that's happening at Arsenal."

They need a good,young prospectful goalkeeper in place for Almunia if they are going to stick with him.

Mannone and Fabianski are not Premier League standard and people like these to take over:

Alex Smithies
Scott Loach
Alphonse Areola
David de Gea
Sergio Asenjo
Guillermo Ochoa

They need a good,young prospectful goalkeeper in place for Almunia if they are going to stick with him.

Mannone and Fabianski are not Premier League standard and people like these to take over:

Alex Smithies
Scott Loach
Alphonse Areola
David de Gea
Sergio Asenjo
Guillermo Ochoa
Well according to FM, Wenger is buying a young keeper called Damian Martinez, may that our future no.1

Personally I think they should still go for Given, plenty of experience at the top and still has at least 5 years left in him; More than Schwarzer can offer. Given has also proved he can play well in front of both strong and weak defences and has shown that he can still be up there with the best year in year out, so I don't think it would be a bad move by Arsenal if they go for him.

scwarzer is the only option we have as wenger wont spend 20 million on a goalie even though he should but he's stuborn and does it his way or buys nobody

scwarzer is the only option we have as wenger wont spend 20 million on a goalie even though he should but he's stuborn and does it his way or buys nobody

£20m for Akinfeev is ridiculous, why should we buy a keeper for that much money, when he's untested in the EPL, it would be a huge gamble: it's not Football Manager - we have no idea how good he really is. I think we should bid for Shay Given if we haven't already, i know Man City don't need to sell, but i think similar to Schwarzer, it will be very tempting for Given, who already said he'll look to leave if he's not number 1 at City.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Alex Smithies
Scott Loach
Alphonse Areola
David de Gea
Sergio Asenjo
Guillermo Ochoa

Again, not Football Manager..

Loach, Smithies, Areola, De Gea are not PL standard either, we have Szcezsney who's a good prospect, but isn't quite ready, and Damien Martinez coming soon, why buy another keeper for the future? Given and Schwarzer are proven in our league so our best bets.

IMO, goalies have to be carefully signed, more so if they intend to be your number 1. If I was a manager, I would sign a goalie who I was familiar with eg Benitez when he signed Reina or someone who is proven in the league already like Given and Schwarzer, its just the fact that SG is better than MS which is why I think Arsenal should go for Given.

I don't think Given or Schwarzer represent increase of value for money on Almunia.

I don't understand Cloud~... You don't think Given or Shwarzer would be good signings? As good as Almunia? Not value for money?

look given is a great stopper but i dont think he organises the defence well at all. i do think mark schwarzer would be the better option he is a all round better keeper than given.

I don't understand Cloud~... You don't think Given or Shwarzer would be good signings? As good as Almunia? Not value for money?
I put itallics on INCREASE for a reason. I don't think the money we will spend on Given or Schwarzer is worth it compared to the difference in ability between them and Almunia.

I put itallics on INCREASE for a reason. I don't think the money we will spend on Given or Schwarzer is worth it compared to the difference in ability between them and Almunia.

Are you serious ?

Schwarzer was the best Goalkeeper in the Premier League last year

Are you serious ?

And are you saying that because you're a happy clapper and think he's the best because he's linked with your club. So you saying he was better than Cech, Reina, Van Der Sar and possibly even Howard, Hart and Given last season.... I doubt many people would but him at the top or even near it. The closest he'd get to the goalies on that list is Howard and I highly rate him as an everton player, and that's coming from a Liverpool fan!

The way things are going, I don't think Fulham are going to let MS go for less than 10-15m

And are you saying that because you're a happy clapper and think he's the best because he's linked with your club. So you saying he was better than Cech, Reina, Van Der Sar and possibly even Howard, Hart and Given last season.... I doubt many people would but him at the top or even near it. The closest he'd get to the goalies on that list is Howard and I highly rate him as an everton player, and that's coming from a Liverpool fan!

Half of these woudn't join Arsenal So Schwarzer is the best Goalie in the Prem who Arsenal could get and has that vital Prem Experiance

Are you serious ?

im afraid not, he had a excellent season but was not the best by a long shot. petr cech won the golden glove award and joe hart was sensational.

Half of these woudn't join Arsenal So Schwarzer is the best Goalie in the Prem who Arsenal could get and has that vital Prem Experiance

Not the point you was on about originally was it? Your previous post was very blunt and with what you put, you was on about who was the best keeper in the league last year, and not who arsenal could afford.

Also, how does it make Schwarzer the best keeper in the premier league that you could afford. I think you could get better personally, that are slightly better that Schwarzer, granted without his experience but Schwarzer is average at best. Always has been, always will be. Average keepers only play for average clubs, hence the reason why he's played at middles-borough and fulham.

Not the point you was on about originally was it? Your previous post was very blunt and with what you put, you was on about who was the best keeper in the league last year, and not who arsenal could afford.

Also, how does it make Schwarzer the best keeper in the premier league that you could afford. I think you could get better personally, that are slightly better that Schwarzer, granted without his experience but Schwarzer is average at best. Always has been, always will be. Average keepers only play for average clubs, hence the reason why he's played at middles-borough and fulham.

Could say the Same About VDS who played for as you put it a "average club like Fulham"

Lol, that's a completely different statement from your first one.

Last edited: