Arsenal's GKing Situation

I think we should get Schwarzer. City will not sell to us, and you can see the success VDS has had, and he played at Fulham, so I see no reason why this can't be a similar situation.

Could say the SameAbout VDS who played for as you put it a "average club like Fulham"

But yet clearly was miles ahead in terms of ability at that point. And time isn't on Schwarzer's side now, I think MS is 37 now (correct me if I'm wrong) but hadn't VDS already been at United a year or 2 before then.

I think we should get Schwarzer. City will not sell to us, and you can see the success VDS has had, and he played at Fulham, so I see no reason why this can't be a similar situation.
Is his increase in ability over Almunia worth 15m? I'd rather spend that on a top-class defender.

Yeah but do Arsenal want to spend 10-15 million on a keeper who is realistically going to be a short term investment. I'd be happy paying that for Given who I think would be around for another 5/6 years left whereas I only think Schwarzer only has another 2/3 years left in him at most before he calls it a day.

Keeping Almunia simply isn't an option if we want to compete for trophies. He just isn't good enough - he's poor at best.

Yeah but do Arsenal want to spend 10-15 million on a keeper who is realistically going to be a short term investment. I'd be happy paying that for Given who I think would be around for another 5/6 years left whereas I only think Schwarzer only has another 2/3 years left in him at most before he calls it a day.

There's no way Shwarzer is worth anything like 15m, and Fulham know that, that's why the proposed fee is less than £5m...

Given wants to leave as he's not number 1. He already said that he would [leave] if he wasn't [no.1] and won't be too expensive, £10m max. We need a centre half too.

But yet clearly was miles ahead in terms of ability at that point. And time isn't on Schwarzer's side now, I think MS is 37 now (correct me if I'm wrong) but hadn't VDS already been at United a year or 2 before then.

VDS had already won the Champions League, Uefa Cup and numerous domestic league and cup titles before moving to United too. He'd also won many individual honours, including the European Goalkeeper of the Year.

Keeping Almunia simply isn't an option if we want to compete for trophies. He just isn't good enough - he's poor at best.

better than Flapianski, and probably Mannone. Which isn't too difficult, but we won't buy 2 keepers, and we need him as backup. Sell Fabianski back to Legia or a random team.

Who on earth told you Schwarzer was worth 10-15 million oO)

Again, not Football Manager..

Loach, Smithies, Areola, De Gea are not PL standard either, we have Szcezsney who's a good prospect, but isn't quite ready, and Damien Martinez coming soon, why buy another keeper for the future? Given and Schwarzer are proven in our league so our best bets.

Ok,fair enough,Loach,Smithies,Areola and de Gea are not Premier League standard yet.

That's why I said a good,young prospectful goalkeeper simply because Wenger is resting upon Almunia to do the job for the next season or so and by that time,the likes of de Gea will have proven themselves.

Especially de Gea since he has been a solid goalkeeper for Atletico Madrid since Asenjo's absence.He's what,19 and already playing football in La Liga,one of the best leagues in Europe,if not the world.

He'll have proven himself before Almunia retires and then it might be too late for Wenger to go for him because Atletico will then want £20million+ for him.

Because he has proven himself.

There's no way Shwarzer is worth anything like 15m, and Fulham know that, that's why the proposed fee is less than £5m...

Given wants to leave as he's not number 1. He already said that he would [leave] if he wasn't [no.1] and won't be too expensive, £10m max. We need a centre half too.
Where the **** are you hearing this stuff from?

1. Man City are not going to sell Given to us willingly
2. MS will cost more than 5m, I would bet on it.

Where the **** are you hearing this stuff from?

1. Man City are not going to sell Given to us willingly
2. MS will cost more than 5m, I would bet on it.

1.Given does not want to sit on the bench all season, we're in the Champions League, and he'll be guarenteed European football and a place in the team every week, Man City might be forced to sell if he [Given] is not happy.

2. I very much doubt that. Hughes isn't stupid, he knows MS wants to leave, and he knows he's not worth more than £5m, we offered £2m and it was rejected, a transfer request lowers the price. If we were told to pay £10+ million we would have left it a long time ago.

1.Given does not want to sit on the bench all season, we're in the Champions League, and he'll be guarenteed European football and a place in the team every week, Man City might be forced to sell if he [Given] is not happy.

2. I very much doubt that. Hughes isn't stupid, he knows MS wants to leave, and he knows he's not worth more than £5m, we offered £2m and it was rejected, a transfer request lowers the price. If we were told to pay £10+ million we would have left it a long time ago.
You being an Arsenal fan should know, sometimes what the player wants counts for very little. Man City will never be forced to do anything. Hughes wants to keep MS by any means nessecary, I very much doubt he will sell him for less than 10m. That's why this "proposed fee" you're talking about seems fabricated to me.

Ok,fair enough,Loach,Smithies,Areola and de Gea are not Premier League standard yet.

That's why I said a good,young prospectful goalkeeper simply because Wenger is resting upon Almunia to do the job for the next season or so and by that time,the likes of de Gea will have proven themselves.

Especially de Gea since he has been a solid goalkeeper for Atletico Madrid since Asenjo's absence.He's what,19 and already playing football in La Liga,one of the best leagues in Europe,if not the world.

He'll have proven himself before Almunia retires and then it might be too late for Wenger to go for him because Atletico will then want £20million+ for him.

Because he has proven himself.

To be fair, I understand your logic, but Arsenal in recent years just havn't worked like that. There's no way they'd buy the "next big thing" at top dollar, they either buy young and train them up, or pick off older players on expired contracts who want a CL swansong. I'd love to see Given, but obviously he would cost too much to force City to sell (being realistic they can "pull a Robinho" and just block until xfer window end).

MS would be a good contender as he's got the communication and presence that many keepers lack, and doesn't appear nervous in the same way as Almunia. However agreed Almunia is a decent keeper, I just don't think he's getting us to the CL final :p

You being an Arsenal fan should know, sometimes what the player wants counts for very little. Man City will never be forced to do anything. Hughes wants to keep MS by any means nessecary, I very much doubt he will sell him for less than 10m. That's why this "proposed fee" you're talking about seems fabricated to me.

Arsenal told Mark Schwarzer transfer will cost £4m

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/835054-arsenal-told-mark-schwarzer-transfer-will-cost-4m