Arsenal's Invincibles Recreation: Early Tactical Development

seanhrfc

Reaction score
View attachment 448986

Arsenal's Invincibles 2003/04
View attachment 448987

In the 2003/04 season Arsenal achieved the fantastic feat of going a whole Premier League season unbeaten with a record of W26 D12 L0. It was also the last season that they won the League. The team was built on solid defensive foundations with an experienced keeper and commanding centre back in Campbell. Cole, Toure and Lauren were all converted midfielders and as such were comfortable in possession and driving forward with the ball. In front of them was the ball winning Gilberto Silva, who as with most Brazilians was equally competent in possession as he was in winning it. Vieira was the work horse of the team, acting as a true dynamic box to box midfielder. Out wide were Ljungberg and Pires, who were renowned for outside to inside runs and regularly getting in the penalty box to finish off attacking moves. Then there was the geniuses of the team, Henry and Bergkamp. Bergkamp drifted deep using his intelligence to find the pockets of space between the oppositions midfield and defence, enabling him to link up the play creatively. Whereas Henry looked to stretch the defence with his pace and movement, acting as a real goal poacher but also allowed to roam from his position and drift into the channels, in particular linking with Cole and Pires down the left. The team played slick, creative football with a short passing game, but were also lethal on the counter. This is, in my opinion of course, one of the greatest teams of my lifetime (I'm not an Arsenal fan BTW)

FM Re-creation
View attachment 448989
View attachment 448985

Above is how I have tried to re-create the tactic, getting it as close to possible to how they played. As you can see, I have a different team from the usual Arsenal as I am doing a home grown at club challenge.

Strategies
I generally start every game using the Control Mentality. Against weaker teams if I am dominating the game but lacking potency after around 20 minutes I will switch to Attacking. I will switch back to control if I go 2 goals up. Against stronger teams I will still start with Control. If I go 2 goals up, I will always switch to Counter, however if I am up by 1 goal in the last 20-25 minutes I wil also switch to Counter. If I am winning by 1 goal in the last 10 minutes I switch to counter irrespective of who I am playing.

Training
Until the tactic was fluid I put it into all three slots, match training all the way up and worked on Tactics only. Since it has become fluid, I reduced match training by 2 notches and worked on defensive positioning / attacking movement depending on who the next opposition were and how we have been performing recently (i.e. leaking goals or lacking attacking threat).

Opposition Instructions
I've just left this to the Assistant Manager

Development
The tactic is still in the early stages of development and I am forever tweaking it, particularly player roles. If you have any feedback / advice it would be appreciated.

Results
View attachment 448988
The tactic has only been used for 20 games so far, achieving 16 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss. The loss came in the 2nd leg of the League Cup, where I fielded an U18s/U21s team to give them the experience but they weren't ready for the level.

Download File Attached and Cheers for Reading!

Last edited:
will give this a go with my man u save when i start my 2nd season

Uff, a great day in FM-Base. Finally some of the great tacticians come into the field :D

This looks very very nice. Will look into it more closely. The success I had with your tactic in FM13 deserves I take a shot with this approach.

Cheers!

Uff, a great day in FM-Base. Finally some of the great tacticians come into the field :D

This looks very very nice. Will look into it more closely. The success I had with your tactic in FM13 deserves I take a shot with this approach.

Cheers!

Cheers, let me know what you think!

I'm Liverpool. Just brought Mark Noble, due to his good stats. Just played 1 game against Newcastle (won 3-0) and now I'm at half-time at Etihad. Do you imagine what's the score is? 4-0!!! For me of course ahahah. They have 69% of possession and just 1 shot that wasn't even on target. Lucas (BWM role) is always stealing the ball, give it to Coutinho and he to the devastating pace of Sturridge, who already scored an hat-trick.

I'm already "in love" for this tactic lol. I can still lose or draw this game, but I will go with this tactic until the end of the season and build a team around it. Again, I think you've produced another masterpiece!

Great work, as always!

Will give it a go with my Ajax team into my 4th season with them

I'm Liverpool. Just brought Mark Noble, due to his good stats. Just played 1 game against Newcastle (won 3-0) and now I'm at half-time at Etihad. Do you imagine what's the score is? 4-0!!! For me of course ahahah. They have 69% of possession and just 1 shot that wasn't even on target. Lucas (BWM role) is always stealing the ball, give it to Coutinho and he to the devastating pace of Sturridge, who already scored an hat-trick.

I'm already "in love" for this tactic lol. I can still lose or draw this game, but I will go with this tactic until the end of the season and build a team around it. Again, I think you've produced another masterpiece!

Great work, as always!

Excellent start here Jukilo!

I've just noticed that for some reason the keeper had 'reset' in the tactic, it should be on sweeper keeper / defend with shorter passing and distribute to defenders.

well this is the team i will be going with for my 2nd season
de gea
rafael umtiti jones shaw
fellaini zaha prowse young
kagawa
rvp not a bad side

An Arsenal based tactic, now I HAVE to try it :) Thanks for the work and the nice opening post, will let you know the results if I try it right now with my low level L1 french team.

finally my favorite tactician joined us.
as well as Arsenal was a great choice,
that's my boyy :D

I'm at work now.
I can not wait to go home and try it,
I hope it is as good as I thought...

Well Sean i cant hide the fact you have another tactic up! Your one for FM13 was the basis for all of my long term saves and won me the lot!
This one looks interesting, cant wait to try it.

one of my favourite squads/formations of all time :)

In theory I'd say the Pires role was probably more an AML/adv playmaker (support?) though maybe that would ruin the balance of the tactic in FM (and defensive balance is definitely not my forte in 14.1.4 so never mind...)

great thread, will certainly try this one if/when I'll feel motivated to get back to FM ;)