Arsenal's Invincibles Recreation: Early Tactical Development

one of my favourite squads/formations of all time :)

In theory I'd say the Pires role was probably more an AML/adv playmaker (support?) though maybe that would ruin the balance of the tactic in FM (and defensive balance is definitely not my forte in 14.1.4 so never mind...)

great thread, will certainly try this one if/when I'll feel motivated to get back to FM ;)

Cheers. Yes I'd say Pires had a different role to Ljungberg, but I've found symmetry to work better when it comes to midfield / defensive lines. Although I'm not so sure on playmaker, he was more of a goalscorer in the invincible season grabbing 14 goals from wide left.

sean can you change the st to any other roll?

To be honest the striker role is the one I'm least sure of, trying to re-create Henry's role is pretty difficult. I think a roaming, move into channels Poacher is as close as I could get, but maybe a Complete Forward on Attack?

Good stuff as always Sean, good to see you return again, I have a slightly different interpretation, I will get it up over the next day or two. Interested to see you try Gegenpressing as well

To be honest the striker role is the one I'm least sure of, trying to re-create Henry's role is pretty difficult. I think a roaming, move into channels Poacher is as close as I could get, but maybe a Complete Forward on Attack?

Henry's is the hardest, but its certainly not Poacher. I would start with advanced forward and go from there

Henry's is the hardest, but its certainly not Poacher. I would start with advanced forward and go from there

I agree with that, though he often drifted out to the left and cut in for a perfectly placed shot in the far corner,
I'd drop the right full back to support instead of attack aswell though, just for different lines for passing.
Otherwise solid representation of a fantastic team.

It works for underdogs?

I'll begin a long term game with Ajaccio...

Last edited:
Naymar was injured so had Damiao play the poacher role. But when he's fit i'll probably Try Naymar as the Poacher.

Cheers. Yes I'd say Pires had a different role to Ljungberg, but I've found symmetry to work better when it comes to midfield / defensive lines. Although I'm not so sure on playmaker, he was more of a goalscorer in the invincible season grabbing 14 goals from wide left.

yeah he did provide lots of assists as well though, so a right footed AP at AML might (in theory) cut inside to play through balls and/or shoot with strong foot... BUT I agree defensive lines and balance are certainly more important :)

following this thread with interest.

I'm very tempted to have him start in the STL position as an Inside Forward Attack, sitting narrower and allowing to roam. When Arsenal didn't have the ball that is often where you would find him.

Just spent the last half hour or so looking through youtube videos etc, it definitely seems Cole bombed forward a lot whereas Lauren held his position more, so I will probably try CWB and FB (s) and see how that goes.

I'm very tempted to have him start in the STL position as an Inside Forward Attack, sitting narrower and allowing to roam. When Arsenal didn't have the ball that is often where you would find him.

Just spent the last half hour or so looking through youtube videos etc, it definitely seems Cole bombed forward a lot whereas Lauren held his position more, so I will probably try CWB and FB (s) and see how that goes.

Im at work so cant upload it, but I have a good graphics of their movements that might help. Cole is definitely a CWB for me.

interesting one about the STL/IF for Henry. A 'be more expressive' instruction might help too.

only problem would be Vela is left-footed which would make him behave quite differently than Henry at STL esp in FM (less cutting inside to shoot with strong foot)

recreating the balance and the attacking movement of the left side (Cole+Pires+Henry) would actually be quite a challenge in FM!

Im at work so cant upload it, but I have a good graphics of their movements that might help. Cole is definitely a CWB for me.

View attachment 448920

I just tried this, got rid of the play narrower in the hope the left is utilised. Won 3-0 vs West Brom, liked the attacks down the left, but Walcott didn't roam like Henry did and didn't provide the same sort of quality as expected. Vela did create 2 from the Bergkamp Role however, scored by AOC (Pires) and Hughes (Ljungberg)​

It works for underdogs?

I'll begin a long term game with Ajaccio...

Hi Wampley, I've only tested it with this young Arsenal team so far, but if you have the right players for the roles theres no reason it couldn't work. Knowing when to switch between counter/control/attack will be key with an underdog team IMO.

I'm also tempted to try, exploit the left flank, this could be risky as I've never used a one flank exploit approach.

Can the wide men be inverted? Like left foot on the right?