Art Of Football - Tactic by Daz Swann

Firstly thank you for this tactic. Ive been struggling with tactics in FM14 really and this worked wonders for me with Burnley in The Prem, I finished 17th the season before and after using this tactic the next season I Actually won the league! But this current season the tactic has been leaking goals and ive been struggling to score. Im following the mentality instructions just as i did the season previous perhaps even being more cautious. Any idea's?

Firstly thank you for this tactic. Ive been struggling with tactics in FM14 really and this worked wonders for me with Burnley in The Prem, I finished 17th the season before and after using this tactic the next season I Actually won the league! But this current season the tactic has been leaking goals and ive been struggling to score. Im following the mentality instructions just as i did the season previous perhaps even being more cautious. Any idea's?

I have tried to play 5-6 games on Contain to beat the ME when it plays more aggressive. When you play on contain you retain possession a lot better with the shorter-non attacking passes & when the ME presses hard you find gaps. Did anything change from your championship team?

I will upload what I am working with now, maybe the changes will help. I really do think that for any tactic to be successful season to season we need to use variations. The ME always leaves itself open when it attacks, so it is about finding that weakness. Be good to get my hands on the other ones tinkered with from the other users.

ART OF FOOTBALL v2
================
Tactic: ART OF FOOTBALL v2

Tactic still works the same however these changes seem to increase the amount of goals scored. Have only done light testing with a couple of teams and seems to work good. More testing is required.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes:

- F9 now Trequartista
- BBM
now AP (Support duty)
- IF (Right side) now on Support Duty

------------------------------
Inside Forward Suggestions
------------------------------
Right Side
Suggestions I would make are for the IF on the right, is choose a player who is good at passing, dribbling, crossing, stamina & has good creativity, decent all-round stats. Think Jack Wilshere type player when looking for someone to fill the role. A good trait to have is likes switching the ball to opposite flank.
Left Side
This is a goal scoring position so choose someone with very good goal scoring instincts with loads of pace. I have used Danny Welbeck quite successfully in this position. Pace is very important.

cheers mate for the response. Well I signed a new Centre back, Left back and Right winger all improvements on last years team. So it wasn't alot new players. Ill try contain for a few matches and see how it goes aswell as your version two of the tactic. Thanks again

Hi just tying this with southampton, first game played man utd somehow drew after they had 26 shots and i had 1

Did you change mentality at all during the game?

Are you using V2 or V1?

That's an awful lot of shots, I would expect Southamption to make top 3 with the V1.

Been using this with my Blackburn Rovers side this season and I am very, very impressed.

Currently 3rd in the Prem with 8 games left, I'm a good 10 points adrift of the top 2 spots but for a mid-table side like Blackburn, I am happy with just finishing in the top 4. Replaced the CM with AP and changed the right-back to an attacking CWB, to balance it out a bit. I also usually play my striker as an Advanced Forward against weaker/similar sides, much more goals you see!

Looks like a decent tactic - what skin/graphics are you using mate?

Hey Daz Swann ... Sublime defensive sound tactic.
Currently testing both V1 & V2 with Plymouth in L2.
Lying pretty decent as nr. 1 - 7 played, 7 won. 17 goals for, 3 goals against.
Just wondering... There's been alot of talking about defensive mentalities - what about when you find yourself with the stronger team, or in a position where you should be sure of a win, you never go any more offensive than counter mentality?
Oh and another question... Your IF's ... You have any preferred foot for them?

Thanks mate

IF's I try to have both right footers. Right side IF tends to act like a wing player, set up man so I like to have his strongest foot on the outside but can work with both a left footed player too. Left side IF is your goal scorer so better to have the right foot as the strongest foot as it is on the inside.

For mentality I change depending on what I see. Counter is good against weaker teams as sometimes they throw the kitchen sink at you from the get go. This allows my team to punish them when they leave themselves wide open. If they are playing defensively and breaking up my attacks then sometimes I will punch it up to control to hoard the possession and get more scoring opportunities. Once I score, if I notice they get more aggressive in their attack I flick the setting back to counter to punish them again. Not 100% perfect, but works most of the time.

Thanks for your info Daz Swann - Appriciated. :)

Are you working on another tactic at some point? Maybe one that is more offensive-minded, but still with some defensive stability? You know, as something more towards the other end of the scale, so one have something to choose between?

Personally I like quick one-two pass football, something like Tiki-Taka, but slightly more direct.
Have been trying to work on one myself, but I'm not the best, I'll easily admit that. :D
Not trying to force your hand, but if you do have another project at some point, consider me a willing tester. :)

//Martin...

I'm working on V3 of this tactic (modification of V2), more offensive but still relatively strong defensively.

I would like to develop it as a more offensive type of tactic that could be swapped between V1 to V3 throughout games which would require no subs (to make the change) or moving around of players.

Tactics would be interchangeable to exploit the ME in different ways when the in-game situation changes (2-0 up, opposition is playing a lot more aggressive or 0-2 down, can't get shots on goal)

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting. And sounds very useful if you're able to pull it off.
But I have faith, and for what its worth, good luck.

Why you put the left full back as CWB when the left winger is in attack too? cuz on the other side they are on support and defense....