Arteta for England?

eddlad's got a point there. See it this way, Eusebio wasn't portuguese, Zizou wasn't french. England, France, Portugal, the NL, all were empires a long time ago, and some links are hard to break.

The home countries have a gentleman's agreement that they won't select people who haven't at least been schooled in the country. So Almunia and Arteta are unlikely to be called up for England, or are at least as likely to be called up by Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England already get most of the Welsh players anyways /me waves to Michael Owen.

Yup, discussion ender that really.

That dosnt make a difference, i should know im from ireland and we have been stealing players for years.

Yeah tell me about it

It will never happen, English FA would have there heads cut off by the fans. whereas in criket there is only 4 english born players in the test 11.

I am sure i heard about someone who had played for Ireland at international level then changing and playing for England...vrs Ireland?

NOOOOOOOOOO, he is not english so he shouldnt represent my country, Might soound racistm, but he aint english so he should not play. He has nothing english about him.

Hargreaves.

There is a difference though isn't there?

Ireland's 'stolen' players have family/ancestral links to the country, whereas players like Arteta/Almunia have just lived in this country for a certain period. Massive difference IMO.
I ment that it didnt matter if they were capped at u21 teams like us can still steal them, so england can still take arteta even if he playedd for spain u21's

I ment that it didnt matter if they were capped at u21 teams like us can still steal them, so england can still take arteta even if he playedd for spain u21's

What about Andrew Driver? I thought he couldn't play for Scotland because he had played for England U21s?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Hargreaves.

Hargreaves is English through his father. Completely different to the Arteta scenario.

What about Andrew Driver? I thought he couldn't play for Scotland because he had played for England U21s?

Well not long ago nolan was talkin about playin for ireland and he has been capped at underage there are more examples to so.....^^)

How did Tyrone Mears get away with playing for Jamaica yet still wants to play for England?? I'm confussled by that

because it wasnt a competitive match or something stupid like that, i dont think he is aloud to now:S

i would welcome arteta into the england side with open arms and how could you not, he is a sensational player. just think about it even if he couldnt get in the starting 11 someone like arteta on the bench.

How did Tyrone Mears get away with playing for Jamaica yet still wants to play for England?? I'm confussled by that

He doesn't have a right to play for Jamaica and never has. He played in a friendly for them as a favour to John Barnes and to help him regain match fitness.

He is eligible for either Sierra Leone or England through his nationality, definitely not Jamaica.

Hargreaves.

completely different to Arteta, english father, hence english blood, Arteta, spanish parents, spanish grand parents. The only thinkg english about him, is he lived here for a few years.

Apologies, having now done my research, it appears he was born to British parents, i seriosuly thought they were Canadian.

If the likes of Croatia can 'steal' talented players who are not wanted by their mother nations (Eduardo was born and grew up in Brazil) then why cant we? Im all for Arteta.

Apologies, having now done my research, it appears he was born to British parents, i seriosuly thought they were Canadian.

If the likes of Croatia can 'steal' talented players who are not wanted by their mother nations (Eduardo was born and grew up in Brazil) then why cant we? Im all for Arteta.

i mean look at portugal liedson, deco, pepe!! if they can we can

even if we dont want them we should play them all once to stop them from ever playing for their home country

I think you need to have had a certain amount of schooling in the country to be able to play for them and Driver fell short by around 3 months

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I believe you should only play for the country you are born in because eventually it won't be a national team it will just be a team

not sure if i agree with you there callum because what would happen if for instance someone has croatian parents, has grown up in croatia and has always lived in croatia but was born whilst his parents were on holiday in brazil, people do get born on holidays, then surely they would have the right to play for croatia but by what you're saying wouldn't be able to because they were born in brazil and will never be able to get into that team.

although i do agree that they would end up like a normal team like france or arsenal.

there are exceptions such as the one above but im meaning just in general

Why are we allowed to be managed by foreigners yet if a Spanish player says he would love to represent England we completely dismiss it? How very short sighted of you..

The home countries have a gentleman's agreement that they won't select people who haven't at least been schooled in the country. So Almunia and Arteta are unlikely to be called up for England, or are at least as likely to be called up by Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England already get most of the Welsh players anyways /me waves to Michael Owen.

Owen is Scottis...