Arteta for England?

I didn't mention anything saying foreigners should manage national teams im only talking about players but i do think that it should only be a national team and managed by someone of that nationality

I didn't mention anything saying foreigners should manage national teams im only talking about players but i do think that it should only be a national team and managed by someone of that nationality

It wasn't aimed at just you mate, pretty much everyone who has been against this idea.

I wouldn't mind Arteta declaring himself available for England next year. He's still young, and extremely talented. I'm surprised he hasn't got a single cap for Spain yet. I guess it shows how much talent they have at their disposal nowadays.

look at the cricket and rugby sides, they're full of Residency Nationals. why not in football? if it improves the team, they should allow it.

Well, Lampard and Gerrard are both better, Arteta only has a few years left in his prime and with Cattermole, Wilshire ect coming through i dont see the need :S

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I wouldn't mind Arteta declaring himself available for England next year. He's still young, and extremely talented. I'm surprised he hasn't got a single cap for Spain yet. I guess it shows how much talent they have at their disposal nowadays.

Any team with Fabregas on the bench are either stupid or great.

John Barnes wasn't born in England, but he still represented them?

I wouldn't want anyone not properly English to play. I think it should be 15 years not 5 years to qualify.

That dosnt make a difference, i should know im from ireland and we have been stealing players for years.
Yeah especially when Jack Charlton was manager,he filled the side with English players. Some of them qualified for Ireland because their Gran once owned an Irish Wolf Hound.

Yup, discussion ender that really.

Yeah tell me about it

I am sure i heard about someone who had played for Ireland at international level then changing and playing for England...vrs Ireland?

Eoin Morgan you’re talking about and because Ireland aren’t an official test side in the top 11 the players are eligible to switch countries and Eoin Morgan decided to move to England’s side. And England Cricket team have three South African born players who have English connections. And Eoin Morgan ironically played against Ireland a couple of days ago and he hit 45

Defintley more than three South Africans that play for England, its a joke really, its suppose to be the English Cricket team.

However, even the likes of Spain has used players from other nations like Pernia who is Argentine and Senna who is Brazilian. I don't understand why the home nations don't agree to it but it's a bit confusing due to the fact that you get a British passport and not a Scottish, English, Welsh or Northern Irish one. The gentlemen's agreement made between the FA's should be overturned.

I thought Owen was born in Chester?

Chester City's ground is half in Wales... ;)

Serious point is that the urban part of NE Wales' nearest major maternity hospital is in Chester which often means that players will be born in Chester despite coming from North Wales and living the Welsh side of the border as a kid. Owen's from Broughton - his local team (Airbus - from the aeroplane factory there originally) plays in the Welsh league.

I am sure i heard about someone who had played for Ireland at international level then changing and playing for England...vrs Ireland?
Yeh Eoin Morgan who is one of your best players and knocked us(Ireland) out of the cricket WC with help from the rain of course

Also England should pick Arteta as he would be the ball playing midfielder they need because they have a good defence, great wingers and world class striker.
by the way Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are not ball playing midfielders because they always try and run on beyond the stikers

Yup, discussion ender that really.

Yeah tell me about it

Yeh Eoin Morgan who is one of your best players and knocked us(Ireland) out of the cricket WC with help from the rain of course

Also England should pick Arteta as he would be the ball playing midfielder they need because they have a good defence, great wingers and world class striker.
by the way Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are not ball playing midfielders because they always try and run on beyond the stikers

And Steven gerrard and lampard will be gone in five years time! But it is unfair on our young talent that are home grown to overlook them for some guy who qualified as a Britisch citizen and took a place in the ENGLISH football team.

I would love Arteta in the squad, fantastic player.

Apologies, having now done my research, it appears he was born to British parents, i seriosuly thought they were Canadian.

If the likes of Croatia can 'steal' talented players who are not wanted by their mother nations (Eduardo was born and grew up in Brazil) then why cant we? Im all for Arteta.

I believe Croatia didn't steal Eduardo. He chose to play for them because he knew he would never be able to become a regular international footballer for Brazil.

I personally wouldn't mind it but I wouldn't exactly love having him playing for England.

Spanish player in the England team? No thanks.

we wouldnt be spanish though he would be registerd as english.