Arteta would consider England

JDY

Reaction score
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6328410,00.html

Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta has revealed that he would consider playing for England if he received a call-up from manager Fabio Capello.

The Spanish playmaker was born in San Sebastian, but has never played for Spain's senior squad, having only made 12 appearances for the Under-21s and his native country's youth sides.

The world champions have a wealth of central midfield talent including Barcelona duo Xavi and Andres Iniesta as well as Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, which has left the 28-year-old out of contention.

The prospect of Arteta playing for England has often been mooted, but could become a reality this year as he qualifies as a British resident.

After spending five years in England since joining Everton from Real Sociedad in 2005, Arteta admitted that he would consider playing for the national side.

"Of course I would consider it," he replied when asked about the prospect of playing for Capello's men.

"But to be honest I don't have the chance to consider it because it is not something that is there.

"I knew a few people have been talking about it, but I don't want to say anything yet as I don't want to talk about something that isn't there at the moment.

"If one day that opportunity comes then I will have to consider it."

I personally would love to see Arteta in an England shirt. He would offer that creative spark that no England player has at the moment (Except J.Cole maybe). Other nations seem to have done the same, most noteably Germany, so why not England?

Your thoughts?

We need him, hes the type of playmaker england needs.

I'd welcome him with open arms. If he's committed to England, then I see no reason why not. He's talented enough, for sure.

No, just a big no. He's not English. Just no :mad:

are you reading Mr Capello?

i think Arteta is the sort of player England are missing at the moment, would be a brilliant decision.

Also the fact it would be his last chance to play for a national side with him approching 30 in two years time (Euro 2012). England would be his only realistic chance. I hope Fabio does call him when he qualifies.

I wouldnt agree with it at all. In my eyes he is Spanish, and if he isnt good enough to get into the spanish team then how can he be good enough to help us become better than Spain?

I think he'd get no way near the spanish team, or not regularly anyways so I think his better option would be to play for england!

I wouldnt agree with it at all. In my eyes he is Spanish, and if he isnt good enough to get into the spanish team then how can he be good enough to help us become better than Spain?

Never thought of it like that. Great point.

I'm not bothered but I think they should be looking towards the future.

I have a feling the spain manager will pick him for a friendly andgive hi a sub appearence therefore capping him and dropping him and not consider calling hi up ever again

Never thought of it like that. Great point.

I'm not bothered but I think they should be looking towards the future.

Luke said:
That's poor logic, IMO. If it improves our team, which it does, then we are a step closer to Spain; why not improve the team if we can?

He is a great player and one I would personally welcome to England with open arms and all those people who say no he's not English, well he is if he has English residence so...

That's poor logic, IMO. If it improves our team, which it does, then we are a step closer to Spain; why not improve the team if we can?

Personally I don't think he does improve the team. No-one would let him take Gerrard/Lampard's place in the team...

Personally I don't think he does improve the team. No-one would let him take Gerrard/Lampard's place in the team...

If he's a solution to the Gerrard/Lampard problem, then why should he not slot into Lampard's slot? Or even play out wide?

That depends if Capello continues to choose Lampard after his poor performance in the World Cup

As much as I'd love him to play for England, as he is a very good player. He's not English, so I don't think it should happen.

All the players should be English and we should have a English manager.

Not being funny Luke, no one in the world would beat xavi and iniesta into the Spain team. Would you not welcome fabregas because he cant make the spain team?

How on earth does that logic work? He's not good enough for Spain so he isn't good enough for us.. [?] Firstly, how could you possibly compare Spain to England? Spain are European and World champions, England didn't qualify for Euro 08 and only managed the last 16 of the World Cup.

By those standings England are miles behind Spain so the fact somebody as good as Arteta would consider playing for us is a miracle in itself. Some fans need to wake up and realise just how poor England really have been the past 5 years. Secondly who's to say he's not good enough for Spain? You? For all we know he could be an amazing international player, not making it into a squad with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta I'm not surprised he's been ignored all these years, does not deny the fact he is an excellent player.

I can see Lampard dropping out of the England set up. He just doesn't fit into the team and some would say he hinders Gerrards performance.

Saying if Arteta can't get into the Spain team he's not good enough for England is a bit off imo. Spain's midfield is the best in the world, not even Fabregas can get into the first team. So by that logic, Fabregas isn't good enough for England.