Arteta would consider England

Honestly, and I make take some flak for this, but I think too much is made of foreign born players playing for England. If Mikel Arteta is fully committed to England, and Capello has a use for him what's wrong with him playing?

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with Mikel playing for England. It happens often enough in international sports and even in England, I mean, look at Kevin Pietersen. He's South African isn't he?

I highly doubt Capello will call him up, remember the situation with Almunia?

Different but the bases are the same. Capello said about Almunia "Almunia, for me, is Spanish," the Italian said. "He is Spanish and he plays for the Arsenal team."

We have an Italian Manager, why is that?, why don't we have an English manager?

Same thing about Arteta.

The other home nations will kick up a stink if England start doing this.

Wales, especially, will have every right to feel aggrieved.

If David Beckham's son, Cruz, becomes an awesome pro footballer I wonder if there will be any commotion about him being in the England team seeing as he is techincally Spanish, as he was born in Madrid.

We should complain about Germany, they're all turks and polls!

They shouldn't.

The likes of Senna,Eduardo,that guy from Brazil but used to play for the Japan national team.

If they can do it,why can't we?

They shouldn't.

The likes of Senna,Eduardo,that guy from Brazil but used to play for the Japan national team.

If they can do it,why can't we?

The reason why the Home Nations have an agreement not to do this is because there is no recognition in law of Scottish, or Welsh or English nationalities as being seperate. We're all British. So someone entitled to play for England by this method, is equally entitled to play for Scotland and Wales.

Sit back and think what precedent it would set if British now becomes the same as 'English'.

i am a massive chelsea fan as people know and i think lamps should be dropped to the bench for england. I would aboslutely love to see micky arteta in an england shirt, he would improve the squad hugely and is a sensational footballer. so what if he isen't english does this mean he wont try his hardest for the team??? at the end of the day he is a professional and he will always want to win matches no matter the circumstances. i mean look at the Germain national squad did you see them moaning when ozil was tearing up the world cup and when klose and podolski was banging in the goals. MICKY ARTETA ENGLANDS NUMBER 8!!!!

If David Beckham's son, Cruz, becomes an awesome pro footballer I wonder if there will be any commotion about him being in the England team seeing as he is techincally Spanish, as he was born in Madrid.

He'd qualify for Spain via birthplace or England via parentage (and whatever countries his grandparents were nationals of too). Kind of like how Michael Owen was born in England, but on every other criteria is Welsh.

The reason why the Home Nations have an agreement not to do this is because there is no recognition in law of Scottish, or Welsh or English nationalities as being seperate. We're all British. So someone entitled to play for England by this method, is equally entitled to play for Scotland and Wales.

Sit back and think what precedent it would set if British now becomes the same as 'English'.

Despite that,I feel that since someone like Arteta has been playing in English football for Everton for a number of years,entitling him to British citizenship,should be given the ability to play for England.

If you are a citizen of a country,you are a member of the country,therefore,allowing you to mark it down as a second nationality.

Besides,it's only football.I mean,the same has been done in cricket.Kevin Pietersen is South African,yet he is allowed to play for the England national cricket team.If we have an Italian manager,why not a Spanish player?

Last edited:
Despite that,I feel that since someone like Arteta has been playing in English football for Everton for a number of years,entitling him to British citizenship,should be given the ability to play for England.

If you are a citizen of a country,you are a member of the country,therefore,allowing you to mark it down as a second natioknality.

Besides,it's only football.I mean,the same has been done in cricket.Kevin Pietersen is South African,yet he is allowed to play for the England national cricket team.If we have an Italian manager,why not a Spanish player?

Aye, but remember that 'England' in cricket is actually 'England and Wales' and that Scotland for a long time didn't have an international cricket team.

The better example is rugby. In fact, I can remember several matches where England played Wales with a Welsh scrum-half, and Wales had an English scrum-half. Makes not a lot of sense. And rugby is making it harder for that kind of thing to happen as it was getting ridiculous.

The Home Nations only still exist because of the historic role they played in the formation of modern football. If UEFA and FIFA had their way, there would only be one national team in Britain. Anything which undermines that is exceptionally dangerous. That's why for the Olympic games, the 'British' team will actually be English because the Celtic nations don't want to have it used as a precedent against them.

If you want to kill the international teams of Wales and Scotland, England breaking the agreement is the way to do this. And this will have a knock on impact right down to the grass roots of the game as the Celtic national FAs no longer will be able to support even semi-professional tournaments.

Everyone who loves Cricket and who is English loves Kevin Pietersen and he is South African!! and you cant question his commitment and passion for England.

Joking aside I don't think foreign players should be able to represent any of the Home Nations, in any sport. I don't care how passionate they are, or how committed they may be - if they're not born in the country or have a connection through the percentages rule I don't think they should be allowed to play for a different country.

Aye, but remember that 'England' in cricket is actually 'England and Wales' and that Scotland for a long time didn't have an international cricket team.

The better example is rugby. In fact, I can remember several matches where England played Wales with a Welsh scrum-half, and Wales had an English scrum-half. Makes not a lot of sense. And rugby is making it harder for that kind of thing to happen as it was getting ridiculous.

The Home Nations only still exist because of the historic role they played in the formation of modern football. If UEFA and FIFA had their way, there would only be one national team in Britain. Anything which undermines that is exceptionally dangerous. That's why for the Olympic games, the 'British' team will actually be English because the Celtic nations don't want to have it used as a precedent against them.

If you want to kill the international teams of Wales and Scotland, England breaking the agreement is the way to do this. And this will have a knock on impact right down to the grass roots of the game as the Celtic national FAs no longer will be able to support even semi-professional tournaments.

Killing the game with foreigners playing for the national team is not really the point,what I'm trying to get at is that if the likes of Croatia,Spain and Japan can have Brazilian players in their national side,then surely a Spanish player should too?

I might not be making any sense by babbling on but the Home Nations rule,imo,has gone to waste.It's no longer something that has been enforced with much media attention in recent times and,despite the information on rugby and the English and Welsh playing scrum halves that have players from the opposing team,it just doesn't seem fair.

Honestly, and I make take some flak for this, but I think too much is made of foreign born players playing for England. If Mikel Arteta is fully committed to England, and Capello has a use for him what's wrong with him playing?

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with Mikel playing for England. It happens often enough in international sports and even in England, I mean, look at Kevin Pietersen. He's South African isn't he?
Or look at Ozil and half Germany team.