Ask all your laptop/desktop questions here

blue screen with white writing "starting physical memory crash dump"

is this a problem with my RAM slots or my RAM modules? its started to happen a lot recently and never happened before.. It only cuts out when playing games (never had up until now though)

I installed The Witcher 2 and played it on medium graphics (then the crash dump happened after a while) now even when I play The Witcher (I did not clock it the first time I played so doing it now while I wait for my upgrade)

would this have permanently damaged my RAM or even the RAM on the GPU? cheers

Download memtest86 and run it. That will tell you if there is a problem with your RAM. I doubt it would be the slots themselves, otherwise you would have always had the problem - unless you installed the RAM recently. If memtest does find there is a problem with your RAM, you will have to find out which of the modules are faulty, take it out and then see if you get the BSoD.

If it is the RAM, it has probably always been faulty, you are only just noticing it now. This does not sound like a GPU problem. I don't think you should be to concerned about that.

As another measure, check the temperatures of you CPU and the GPU just to be safe with a program like HWmonitor.

thanks Tharros, I did try memtest86 ages ago but I could not get it to run properly... I will try doing it again however :) cheers bud

Help with Downloading tactics

When i go to download a tactic it says windows cannot run this file what program do i need to get ? Thanks

1) my gf's laptop Sony Vaio's screen died the other day.. you can barely see the log in screen Win 7! the laptop runs fine as I have plugged it into my monitor. Has this happened to anyone before? could it be a faulty connection from VGA card on Mobo to the screen?

2) after having my gf's laptop plugged into my LG 22" LCD monitor last night (Analog to Analog) she unplugged the connection from her laptop before turning off my screen or anything. I unplugged the Analog to plug back in my Digital cable (to my GPU) but it is now ******! my digital does not work! I have a digital converter running into my Pc from the analog behind my LCD! my screen will only show anything when set to Analog, does it have the digital signal due to the fact it has the converter on or is it just analog?

when my digital cables are in the pc ***** out and it has all these red/white lines across my screen, cant see ****!!

what is really the difference? (Jak)

thank you,

Neil

I have two saves . When am trying to open the one am currently playing it gives me a message of " Saved game could not load". The other save works fine though! Please help !

1) my gf's laptop Sony Vaio's screen died the other day.. you can barely see the log in screen Win 7! the laptop runs fine as I have plugged it into my monitor. Has this happened to anyone before? could it be a faulty connection from VGA card on Mobo to the screen?

2) after having my gf's laptop plugged into my LG 22" LCD monitor last night (Analog to Analog) she unplugged the connection from her laptop before turning off my screen or anything. I unplugged the Analog to plug back in my Digital cable (to my GPU) but it is now ******! my digital does not work! I have a digital converter running into my Pc from the analog behind my LCD! my screen will only show anything when set to Analog, does it have the digital signal due to the fact it has the converter on or is it just analog?

when my digital cables are in the pc ***** out and it has all these red/white lines across my screen, cant see ****!!

what is really the difference? (Jak)

thank you,

Neil
1. It could be that. Or the display itself has died. If it is still under warranty, get it sent to Sony and fixed.

2. So before this it was working when set to digital? Do you have a DVI cable so you can try connecting directly (DVI to DVI)?

I have two saves . When am trying to open the one am currently playing it gives me a message of " Saved game could not load". The other save works fine though! Please help !

The first save has been corrupted. You could try rolling back the file to an earlier version - there are programs around the web to do this. Otherwise you can't really do much about it. You can prevent this happening by:
1. Turning on 3 file rolling autosave
2. Saving manually to different files relatively often

Just installed patch 11.3 and now it says 'Disc not found' even when the disc is in

I need a good laptop that can process multiple leagues and run the 3d game feature, but the laptop needs to be NO bigger than a 13.6 inch screen size... is that possible for under £400 ?? currently have a Hp 311a - single core with ion graphics 3GB ram but it takes a decade to do a season and wont run the 3d match engine ..please Jim can you fix it for me? :)

1. It could be that. Or the display itself has died. If it is still under warranty, get it sent to Sony and fixed.

2. So before this it was working when set to digital? Do you have a DVI cable so you can try connecting directly (DVI to DVI)?

yeah, it was working perfectly Digital to Digital, white cable to white cable! whats the DVI cable? the one with the white ends? pins with the line in it? I tried again over the weekend, still does not, only works on Analog now! so bleek!

does the white digital converter turn the signal into Digital when the analog is plugged into it even though it is in the Analog slot?

could it be possible the Digital cable has been damaged somehow or do you think my actual screen/GPU is damaged?

Does anyone Know How to put a Patch (newest one) onto my FM 2011? would be much appreciated? :S

if anyone knows please message me personally

Does anyone Know How to put a Patch (newest one) onto my FM 2011? would be much appreciated? :S

if anyone knows please message me personally
download the Official patch and install it :) or are you referring to patching it illegally?

Thinking about buying one of these laptops, which one would be the best?

1st
AMD Athlon II X2 P340 2.2 GHz
6 GB DDR3
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Price: 499,90 €

2nd
AMD Athlon II X2 P340 2.2 GHz
8 GB DDR3
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1 GB
Price: 599,90€

3rd
AMD Turion II P560 2,5 GHz
6 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1 GB
500 GB 7 200 rpm SATA
Price: 599,00€

TBH, out of those, the third is just the better of them all., but it all depends on what you are using it for.

Yeah I thought so as well, and the first and the second one are basically the same computer, but the second one just has 2GB more RAM.
And I kinda want an computer with at least 6GB of RAM. Thou still just using it to mostly playing FM and surfing the net.

Hey guys!I have this problem for 7-8 months!
My speakers do not work properly!When i plug them in,a message appears on the bottom right coner of my pc which says "connected" after 3-4 secs a similar message appears saying "not connected"
As a result i am unable to have ound on youtube videos,unable to listen to music on my pc!PLEASE HELP and I promise i will donate at the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Would the i7-2600K (3.40 GHz Quad-core) with 16GB of RAM and the Samsung SpinPoint F3 (1TB, 7200RPM) be capable of running every league in the game, along with the English leagues to level 11, as well as including all players from all nations (310000+ according to FM) without getting crash dumps?

How long would I expect it to take to process a weeks worth of fixtures initially, after 10 seasons and then after 20?

A SSD drive shouldn't effect anything other than loading and saving the game itself right?

Last edited:
would the 'Eee PC 1215N' netbook be able to run FM 2011 effectively???? i only play 1 or 2 leagues id prefer the 3d match engine to be on and a half decent match/results process speed, please advise ..

just brought a HP laptop the other day and i put football manager in and it covers the whole of page so like when you do a screen print you cant get back to the internet very well.